Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say we get a top 5 pick next year as some say we will.

OldSchoolColt

With a top five pick, what position would you think we would want to select to better our rebuilding team? To simplify this, say no team wants to trade with us and that only the following top notch players are available when we pick. Would we go with a NT that would demand a double team most every down, has long arms and can both tackle very well and pressure the QB? A WR that would remind fans of Calvin Johnson or Marvin Harrison? A shut down corner that removes the other teams best WR from the game? An OLB that can cover most any TE or WR in his area and have the ability to tackle very well and sack or pressure the QB often? Or a RB that makes people think of Arian Foster? Finally, a left tackle that is big, fast and built to both protect Luck's blind side and open up holes for our RB at will?

Use it on a elite OLB to replace Freeney in a year or 2. Corner might be a need, both trenches may have needs. But if there's a kid who's extraordinarily talented but not at a need position, take him.

I would rather trade out of the pick. A lot of people are saying we may be picking top three next year. If there is a top flight WR or CB there, I'd take them. If not, get a ransom for the pick and select quality players that can contribute to building the monster.

best player that fits a need, it's hard to guess what those poistions will be without playing a season and even harder to guess what players will be there to fit the needs.

My guess is that it would be one of the following though:

WR, CB, DT, RB, or O-line.

If BPA when the Colts pick next year is Barkley, Wilson, Bray or some other QB, they aren't taking him with a #1. They might move out of the pick, but they aren't tied to BPA.

My 5 year old niece knows that instinctively. I figured folks here do as well. Regardless, my point stands...we draft BPA and not position....and we probably are not going to be picking top 5.

Te'o or Mathieu but either one of those two will be available outside of the top 10 so could trade down grab a few picks. if the colts have one of the top 3 picks give the pick up for rams ransom. meaning 2 or 3 first round picks, second rounder and a 3rd rounder.

My 5 year old niece knows that instinctively. I figured folks here do as well. Regardless, my point stands...we draft BPA and not position....and we probably are not going to be picking top 5.

So if Barkley is there when we pick, they will take him??

I'm down with Irsay. 1998 Redux. Lets' tank for the picks. I'd rather win 2-3 then 8-9 and be in the middle of the road next year and have the "economic recovery" take longer than we'd all like it to.

since its likely QBs will go 1 & 2 again next year, we can trade down for Montee Ball.

I'm down with Irsay. 1998 Redux. Lets' tank for the picks. I'd rather win 2-3 then 8-9 and be in the middle of the road next year and have the "economic recovery" take longer than we'd all like it to.

since its likely QBs will go 1 & 2 again next year, we can trade down for Montee Ball.

I would rather trade down for Manti Te'o. Ball will be availbable in the second or third most likely. How far down do you mean, because if you mean top 5 then we should get David Amerson.

I would rather trade down for Manti Te'o. Ball will be availbable in the second or third most likely. How far down do you mean, because if you mean top 5 then we should get David Amerson.

Not sure how far. I'll leave that up to grigs. I'd like all three of these guys. Amerson would be a great pick up.

well we didnt go best player available based on grades so the best player available theory some people thought we went for is out, we didnt go for a Corner I think because we have so many and Pagano wants to see how well they do in this new system. was Coby Fleener truthfully the best player available where we picked him? no their was 3 guys who had a better grades then him available when we picked and two others with identical grades

Fleener-Tight End had 86.5 draft grade

Andre Branch-Linebacker 86.5

Lavonte David-Linebacker 86.5

Upshaw-Linebacker 88.0

Cordy Glenn-Tackle/Guard 88.0

Jonathan Marin-Tackle 87.0

all had better grades

so based on grades we didnt go best player available

did we reach? based on grades yes, Hilton 74.5 was a huge reach

Chris Givens- 80

Joe Adams-78.2

Nick Toon-77.0

Keshawn Martin-76.0 were all available still but we chose Hilton

its fair to say we did'nt go for the best player available after our first pick but it is certainly debatable that we went best player available based on needs

well we didnt go best player available based on grades so the best player available theory some people thought we went for is out, we didnt go for a Corner I think because we have so many and Pagano wants to see how well they do in this new system. was Coby Fleener truthfully the best player available where we picked him? no their was 3 guys who had a better grades then him available when we picked and two others with identical grades Fleener-Tight End had 86.5 draft grade Andre Branch-Linebacker 86.5 Lavonte David-Linebacker 86.5 Upshaw-Linebacker 88.0 Cordy Glenn-Tackle/Guard 88.0 Jonathan Marin-Tackle 87.0 all had better grades so based on grades we didnt go best player available did we reach? based on grades yes, Hilton 74.5 was a huge reach Chris Givens- 80 Joe Adams-78.2 Nick Toon-77.0 Keshawn Martin-76.0 were all available still but we chose Hilton its fair to say we did'nt go for the best player available after our first pick but it is certainly debatable that we went best player available based on needs

With us using a 2 TE set like the Pats, I dont see us needing a stud WR, at least not right now. I have a feeling TY Hilton will be a very good WR for us and similar in ways to Desean Jackson of Philly. Pair that with Collie who is a reliable WR, add a guy here or there, and we're fine since we will be having 2 TEs on the field most downs.

I would much rather go for a shutdown CB since we have a huge need there. David Amerson, Xavier Rhodes are options. If we want to target a pass rushing OLB, I like Sam Montgomery and also Sean Porter in the 2nd or 3rd.

At NT I wouldnt mind Johnathon Hankins or Star Loleilei.

We wont.

...and we draft BPA. Not position.

Only within reason. You won't see us taking a QB or perhaps some other positions in the first round. While a lot of teams and ours go BPA, many teams see the first round as the best round (an obviously so) to grab players in "skill positions".

We wont.

...and we draft BPA. Not position.

I'm also a fan of the BPA style of drafting, but it does have some limits. As funk said, we won't take a QB if one is there and our scouts consider him to be the most talented player available. And at the top of the first round, there is plenty of talent, so you have lots of freedom.

As for who we should take in this situation, I say David Amerson. Check this guy out:

CB from NC State. We just got one of the best QB prospects to come along in a number of years, now let's do the same at CB. The guy is a playmaker, and my favourite part, he is 6'3"! People may not like the pick as much as say a WR because WRs have, in my opinion, an easier transition to the NFL than CBs so they can make a quicker impact; CBs take a bit longer to develop. But when they do develop, it's beautiful. Every single team in the league would like to have a Revis on their roster. You don't need to worry about matchups and double teams and all that kind of stuff. Put your Revis-style CB on their best WR and leave him there for 60 mins.

well we didnt go best player available based on grades so the best player available theory some people thought we went for is out, we didnt go for a Corner I think because we have so many and Pagano wants to see how well they do in this new system. was Coby Fleener truthfully the best player available where we picked him? no their was 3 guys who had a better grades then him available when we picked and two others with identical grades

Fleener-Tight End had 86.5 draft grade

Andre Branch-Linebacker 86.5

Lavonte David-Linebacker 86.5

Upshaw-Linebacker 88.0

Cordy Glenn-Tackle/Guard 88.0

Jonathan Marin-Tackle 87.0

all had better grades

so based on grades we didnt go best player available

did we reach? based on grades yes, Hilton 74.5 was a huge reach

Chris Givens- 80

Joe Adams-78.2

Nick Toon-77.0

Keshawn Martin-76.0 were all available still but we chose Hilton

its fair to say we did'nt go for the best player available after our first pick but it is certainly debatable that we went best player available based on needs

What are these ranking based on?

actually if your looking at draft grades its inarguable we didnt go best player available, Hilton wasnt the best player available by position or at his own position even

Nick Toon 77.0

Keshawn Martin 76.0

Joe Adams 78.0

were all available in the 4th round but we traded out of it to draft Hilton 74.5 draft grade in the 3rd as for other positions just for example Ta'amu 77.0 was available in the 4th but we went Chapman 72.5 both huge reaches, not saying they wont work out but their was better options available

I'm also a fan of the BPA style of drafting, but it does have some limits. As funk said, we won't take a QB if one is there and our scouts consider him to be the most talented player available. And at the top of the first round, there is plenty of talent, so you have lots of freedom.

As for who we should take in this situation, I say David Amerson. Check this guy out:

CB from NC State. We just got one of the best QB prospects to come along in a number of years, now let's do the same at CB. The guy is a playmaker, and my favourite part, he is 6'3"! People may not like the pick as much as say a WR because WRs have, in my opinion, an easier transition to the NFL than CBs so they can make a quicker impact; CBs take a bit longer to develop. But when they do develop, it's beautiful. Every single team in the league would like to have a Revis on their roster. You don't need to worry about matchups and double teams and all that kind of stuff. Put your Revis-style CB on their best WR and leave him there for 60 mins.

If we can get him I want Amerson or Te'o.

If we can get him I want Amerson or Te'o.

I like both alot but I would choose Amerson over Te'o simply because there is other good linebacker options coming out, Im not sure thats the case with Corner now,