Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say we get a top 5 pick next year as some say we will.

OldSchoolColt

I like both alot but I would choose Amerson over Te'o simply because there is other good linebacker options coming out, Im not sure thats the case with Corner now,

I agree, Amerson looks like a once in a generation corner. But Te'o seems like he could become the enforcer in the middle that we never had. If I was Grigson I would draft Amerson, give up our second and third picks for this year and a sixth for 2014, and trade up for Te'o.

I agree, Amerson looks like a once in a generation corner. But Te'o seems like he could become the enforcer in the middle that we never had. If I was Grigson I would draft Amerson, give up our second and third picks for this year and a sixth for 2014, and trade up for Te'o.

Keep in mind we may very well need an outside linebacker come next year I would rather draft Amerson Brandon Taylor or Devin Taylor....now who knows where these guys will be slated to go next year but they all look to be first round locks to this point well according to Walter Football.com anyway, we will likely also need a Guard

Keep in mind we may very well need an outside linebacker come next year I would rather draft Amerson Brandon Taylor or Devin Taylor....now who knows where these guys will be slated to go next year but they all look to be first round locks to this point well according to Walter Football.com anyway, we will likely also need a Guard

Look at my Blog in the blog section. It talks about Guards.

Look at my Blog in the blog section. It talks about Guards.

Im thinking Alvin Bailey as of right now hes a late 2nd early 3rd round pic.....but once again entirely to early...I cant wait for college football to star

Only within reason. You won't see us taking a QB or perhaps some other positions in the first round.

Again, my 5 year old niece knows that instinctively. I figured folks here do as well. Translation: No need to waste time trying to make a point with it. And again...we do not draft for position per the only person that matters. We draft BPA. All the witty & wasted bandwidth in the World is not going to overcome that. And and again...we're not going to be drafting in the top 5.

That last one was just my opinion. ;)

Lol just a little early for top 5 speculation dont you all think?I mean cant we show a little enthusiasm for the team we have?

Im excited for the team we have and upcoming season but Im also looking at this realistically and realistically we have a new head coach, a new offensive and defensive philosophy, we have two star defensive ends playing linebacker for the first time in their 30's (one of which is being paid 14 million dollars to do so for 1 year), we have a pretty new offensive line in most spots, we have Corners who we arent sure can cover anyone at this point, and also a rookie who while was great in college has to hope he gets some form of protection behind that offensive line

In all honesty i think you may be selling this staff,just a little short,this team wont be in dissaray,and Luck wont be on his back as much as you think.Am I saying playoffs?No im not,but i think we will show much better on the field than last year.

In all honesty i think you may be selling this staff,just a little short,this team wont be in dissaray,and Luck wont be on his back as much as you think.Am I saying playoffs?No im not,but i think we will show much better on the field than last year.

oh that I am sure of, I mean how could we not show better after that mess last year, heck we couldnt even get any decent Quarterback play till we brought in Orlovsky and by then it was way to late, but I also dont think everything will come together in one season and all the stars will align and all the players that are new or changed positions will jell and succeed, I was just having a conversation about who I like in next years draft and what I think our needs will be based on next years draft, just a meaningless, harmless conversation for now, truthfully I dont even expect us to be so bad we get the number 1 overall pick again but I am thinking 4-5 wins maybe 6

well we didnt go best player available based on grades so the best player available theory some people thought we went for is out, we didnt go for a Corner I think because we have so many and Pagano wants to see how well they do in this new system. was Coby Fleener truthfully the best player available where we picked him? no their was 3 guys who had a better grades then him available when we picked and two others with identical grades Fleener-Tight End had 86.5 draft grade Andre Branch-Linebacker 86.5 Lavonte David-Linebacker 86.5 Upshaw-Linebacker 88.0 Cordy Glenn-Tackle/Guard 88.0 Jonathan Marin-Tackle 87.0 all had better grades so based on grades we didnt go best player available did we reach? based on grades yes, Hilton 74.5 was a huge reach Chris Givens- 80 Joe Adams-78.2 Nick Toon-77.0 Keshawn Martin-76.0 were all available still but we chose Hilton its fair to say we did'nt go for the best player available after our first pick but it is certainly debatable that we went best player available based on needs

so have you consider that maybe we gave Hilton a higher grade than say Givens? this is is subjective, how can you be so sure ?

besides its not all about talent its about how he fits and maybe ty hilton fits perfectly on arians..

also thosre are the same critics who labelled charles rogers a great WR, leaf/russell a player...point is, not because someone says that he is better prospect than another its the truth, the colts have their own scouting department and im ok with Griggson listening to his scout than NFL.com scouts (and i know mayock is pretty good)

I'm also a fan of the BPA style of drafting, but it does have some limits. As funk said, we won't take a QB if one is there and our scouts consider him to be the most talented player available. And at the top of the first round, there is plenty of talent, so you have lots of freedom.

As for who we should take in this situation, I say David Amerson. Check this guy out:

CB from NC State. We just got one of the best QB prospects to come along in a number of years, now let's do the same at CB. The guy is a playmaker, and my favourite part, he is 6'3"! People may not like the pick as much as say a WR because WRs have, in my opinion, an easier transition to the NFL than CBs so they can make a quicker impact; CBs take a bit longer to develop. But when they do develop, it's beautiful. Every single team in the league would like to have a Revis on their roster. You don't need to worry about matchups and double teams and all that kind of stuff. Put your Revis-style CB on their best WR and leave him there for 60 mins.

All I see is a DB that has a nose to be in the right place and can run with the ball once he has it. How many times did he get burned for guessing wrong? 6'3" is sweet, but I would need film on the main CB trait and that is ability to stay glued to a WR no matter what moves he puts on him. It does seem most peeps want a CB, then a WR. Me, since we seem to be installing a run OL, I would go with an elite RB if available. Luck would open up the running game, the new RB would open up the passing game :player:

Again, my 5 year old niece knows that instinctively. I figured folks here do as well. Translation: No need to waste time trying to make a point with it. And again...we do not draft for position per the only person that matters. We draft BPA. All the witty & wasted bandwidth in the World is not going to overcome that. And and again...we're not going to be drafting in the top 5

That last one was just my opinion. ;)

No, need to get so defensive. Saying it's something we should know instinctively really just means it wasn't worded very well, and in no way was my comment meant to be witty, it was very literal. Teams don't always go 100% BPA in the first round, that's part of the reason why some teams trade down,

All I see is a DB that has a nose to be in the right place and can run with the ball once he has it. How many times did he get burned for guessing wrong? 6'3" is sweet, but I would need film on the main CB trait and that is ability to stay glued to a WR no matter what moves he puts on him. It does seem most peeps want a CB, then a WR. Me, since we seem to be installing a run OL, I would go with an elite RB if available. Luck would open up the running game, the new RB would open up the passing game :player:

a Corner that has a nose to be in the right place who is 6'3" that takes chances and that can run, and actually I see a guy thats reading the quarterbacks eyes more often then not, I would take him over an elite running back although I wouldnt be mad if we drafted Montee Ball by any means....point is though, we addressed the offense pretty good this year with the exception of Guard now lets address us having a shutdown Corner

No, need to get so defensive.

Reiterating points is not defensive. It is assertive. :smack:

Teams don't always go 100% BPA in the first round

What "teams" do has nothing to do with what Grigs does. He said BPA so...we're BPA. Not really sure what the argument is here. We're obviously (means it doesn't need to be typed) not going to draft a QB for awhile. That doesn't negate BPA. It just means we move onto any player who is not a QB (or any other solidified position) or we trade down.

Now if someone is desperate to believe we'll decide to draft position (or someone's pet rock position) over BPA then I can understand all of the rigmorole and parsing.

But if we take Grigs at his word, what is left to discuss? We will be drafting BPA or trading down.

:td:

Reiterating points is not defensive. It is assertive.

Claiming a little girl could know something equally as well as adult just to defend omitting that clarifcation seemed a bit defensive, but my mistake, I suppose. My second reply only served to say I meant no offense, because I had felt that the wording of your post made you sound like I struck a nerve or something.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 9, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 9, 2012 - inflammatory
Claiming a little girl could know something equally as well as adult just to defend omitting that clarifcation seemed a bit defensive, but my mistake, I suppose. My second reply only served to say I meant no offense, because I had felt that the wording of your post made you sound like I struck a nerve or something.

Yeah, your mistake. And probably just a lot of projection on your part. No problem.

Yeah, it was. Probably just some projection on your part. No problem.

Reiterating points is not defensive. It is assertive. :smack:

What "teams" do has nothing to do with what Grigs does. He said BPA so...we're BPA. Not really sure what the argument is here. We're obviously (means it doesn't need to be typed) not going to draft a QB for awhile. That doesn't negate BPA. It just means we move onto any player who is not a QB (or any other solidified position) or we trade down.

Now if someone is desperate to believe we'll decide to draft position (or someone's pet rock position) over BPA then I can understand all of the rigmorole and parsing.

But if we take Grigs at his word, what is left to discuss? We will be drafting BPA or trading down.

So it should be BPAU? Best Player Available Unless (he's a QB or TE or a DE etc). I'm with you.

well we didnt go best player available based on grades so the best player available theory some people thought we went for is out, we didnt go for a Corner I think because we have so many and Pagano wants to see how well they do in this new system. was Coby Fleener truthfully the best player available where we picked him? no their was 3 guys who had a better grades then him available when we picked and two others with identical grades Fleener-Tight End had 86.5 draft grade Andre Branch-Linebacker 86.5 Lavonte David-Linebacker 86.5 Upshaw-Linebacker 88.0 Cordy Glenn-Tackle/Guard 88.0 Jonathan Marin-Tackle 87.0 all had better grades so based on grades we didnt go best player available did we reach? based on grades yes, Hilton 74.5 was a huge reach Chris Givens- 80 Joe Adams-78.2 Nick Toon-77.0 Keshawn Martin-76.0 were all available still but we chose Hilton its fair to say we did'nt go for the best player available after our first pick but it is certainly debatable that we went best player available based on needs

Your argument is fallacious. The grades there are not universal in any way. It's based on what the writers at NFL.com think and feel, not how Grigson et al. grades the players.

Besides that, going for BPA doesn't mean that player position is not part of the decision. You could have three players that you rate the same, or roughly the same, RB, DE & WR for example, but if the organisation believes there's a bigger need for a DE, than a RB or a WR, they'll pick the DE, even if they grade the players the same, or even marginally below the two other players.

Monster reciever! I think we have talent at RB, LB, NT, and some may disagree but at CB also. I think those guys need the right scheme , defensively speaking. I think IF the O-line blocks that the power tandum of Carter/Ballard will be a threat. I think we need to look for a deep, tall threat on the recieving side. Reggie will retire in a few seasons and I want one trained, tuned, and already the #2 guy ready to be #1 like Wayne was.

Your argument is fallacious. The grades there are not universal in any way. It's based on what the writers at NFL.com think and feel, not how Grigson et al. grades the players.

Besides that, going for BPA doesn't mean that player position is not part of the decision. You could have three players that you rate the same, or roughly the same, RB, DE & WR for example, but if the organisation believes there's a bigger need for a DE, than a RB or a WR, they'll pick the DE, even if they grade the players the same, or even marginally below the two other players.

we will see what happens, in my opinion there was better players available Grigson even said he missed on a couple players

Well.......if it was a top 5 pick, I would be shocked if it were a RB, or a corner. I would make a stab guess at some bad butt LB, OG, or OT, depending how may times Luck has to pick himself off the ground this season. Corner is a slight possibility, along with WR, but they would have to be all world. Safety will be an upcoming issue as Bethea can only deliver so many hits in his career. Unless a guy really craps out, its hard to miss in the top five if you are picking other than QB.

Well.......if it was a top 5 pick, I would be shocked if it were a RB, or a corner. I would make a stab guess at some bad butt LB, OG, or OT, depending how may times Luck has to pick himself off the ground this season. Corner is a slight possibility, along with WR, but they would have to be all world. Safety will be an upcoming issue as Bethea can only deliver so many hits in his career. Unless a guy really craps out, its hard to miss in the top five if you are picking other than QB.

Amerson has the potential to be a top five player. I could see us picking him there.

I just hope we are not hunting for a QB.......in reality, it's nigh on impossible to even contemplate what our needs will be next draft. Scrap that thought, it's just plain impossible.