Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best QB in the Nfl

indynorth

drew brees is by far the best qb in the nfl. rodgers has the best wr core in the league and brady is close, but brees is more accurate and throws a better ball. also most of bress wr core are late round picks and he makes guys like colston, moore,henderson,graham look better then wht they really are.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks Matt Ryan is CRAZY overrated right now? Maybe next year he can put up 3 points in the playoffs if he makes it.

You're not really going to bring up embarrassing playoff losses? Lets not forget who scored 0 points against the Jets in his fifth year.

Matt's a top 10 qb with a promising future. I would certainly place him ahead of Stafford and Newton, both of which are rated higher than him on the list you quoted.

As Julios Jones gets adjusted to the league, Matt's already good stats will increase. Same as how Peyton didnt win a playoff game, until Reggie got adjusted to the NFL.

You're not really going to bring up embarrassing playoff losses? Lets not forget who scored 0 points against the Jets in his fifth year.

Matt's a top 10 qb with a promising future. I would certainly place him ahead of Stafford and Newton, both of which are rated higher than him on the list you quoted.

As Julios Jones gets adjusted to the league, Matt's already good stats will increase. Same as how Peyton didnt win a playoff game, until Reggie got adjusted to the NFL.

He's a nice guy. I went to Boston College too.

I hope he proves me wrong. As of now, I don't have a ton of faith in the young man.

Yes I know, there are some small comparisons to Peyton Manning with him based on early career postseason failures. But, I always had faith in Manning. I don't in Ryan.....at least not yet.

drew brees is by far the best qb in the nfl. rodgers has the best wr core in the league and brady is close, but brees is more accurate and throws a better ball. also most of bress wr core are late round picks and he makes guys like colston, moore,henderson,graham look better then wht they really are.

I cannot get behind this. Rodgers has the best WR core in the NFL? Who? Jennings? Rodgers throws the best ball in the NFL. Brees ball is good, but its not even comparable.....Brees doesn't make any of those guys look good Paytons Off. Strategy does. They are all good WR and Graham is a legit AllPro. If Anything Brees has a better WR core than Rodgers.

And in my opinion the best WR core in the NFL last year would probably have to be NYG. Nicks. Cruz. Manningham.

Bolded on your list I would take over Big Ben. Rivers sucked last year though but I have a feeling he rebounds this year. Cutler you have an argument for but I really can't stand that guy.

Am I the only one who thinks Matt Ryan is CRAZY overrated right now? Maybe next year he can put up 3 points in the playoffs if he makes it.

I am with you on Rivers, I think last year was a fluke. I'm also with you on Cutler, but I can't put a finger on what it is I don't like about him.

As for Ryan, you surprise me a little. It seems like there has been another recent QB who put up solid numbers during regular seasons and "disappeared" in the playoffs... I'm trying to recall a name, but it seems like mobs would lynch anyone who suggested he was overrated, whoever he was.

I like Ryan, and appreciate what he's done for the Falcons franchise.

I am with you on Rivers, I think last year was a fluke. I'm also with you on Cutler, but I can't put a finger on what it is I don't like about him.

As for Ryan, you surprise me a little. It seems like there has been another recent QB who put up solid numbers during regular seasons and "disappeared" in the playoffs... I'm trying to recall a name, but it seems like mobs would lynch anyone who suggested he was overrated, whoever he was.

I like Ryan, and appreciate what he's done for the Falcons franchise.

Rodgers hands down throws the best ball. Brees throws a better deep ball but anything mid range, Rodgers and Brady throw it better, IMO.

Rivers and the Chargers, it almost seems like they need the Mannings in the league to thrive based on their owner's hatred of the Mannings for what Eli pulled on them. They got their wish, Peyton is in their division now, that can only get them fired up. That is why I expect a rebound year for Rivers. The key question is, was it Peyton vs the Chargers' D that was creating the lop sided record, or was it Colts vs Chargers. Plus Peyton vs Romeo Crennel twice a year, should be fun. Peyton walked into a potential lion's den of a division based on his history, he obviously wants to take his challenges head on :).

Bolded on your list I would take over Big Ben. Rivers sucked last year though but I have a feeling he rebounds this year. Cutler you have an argument for but I really can't stand that guy.

haha I'm with you on many accounts. I don't like Rivers very much and the same goes for Cutler, but they you could make an argument for either one. Ryan had a solid rookie season and hasn't impressed much since. I'm looking for him to have a really strong season next year now that he has Julio, Roddy, and a full offseason.

I cannot get behind this. Rodgers has the best WR core in the NFL? Who? Jennings? Rodgers throws the best ball in the NFL. Brees ball is good, but its not even comparable.....Brees doesn't make any of those guys look good Paytons Off. Strategy does. They are all good WR and Graham is a legit AllPro. If Anything Brees has a better WR core than Rodgers.

And in my opinion the best WR core in the NFL last year would probably have to be NYG. Nicks. Cruz. Manningham.

matt flynn stepped right in vs the lions and broke gb passing record. that just tells you how good mike mccarthy system is as well as his wr core. i agree the giants have the best wr core but gb is a close 2nd.

matt flynn stepped right in vs the lions and broke gb passing record. that just tells you how good mike mccarthy system is as well as his wr core. i agree the giants have the best wr core but gb is a close 2nd.

I'm a pretty big GB fan. And I can't put them even in the top 3. Maybe even top 5.

This year. ATL with White/Julio/Gonzo. Nyg with Cruz/Nicks. NE. Dallas with Austin/Dez/witten. TB with Jax/Williams/Winslow. NO with Colston/graham. That's 6 off the top of my head that are better. I'm sure I'm missing others as well

Are we basing this question based on last year's performance or each QB's retrospective NFL career overall? They are entirely 2 different questions if you ask me.

1. Peyton Manning. Yoda will always be Yoda at the line of scrimmage.

2. Aaron Rodgers. Dual precision threat with arm, pose, vision, & feet.

3. Tom Brady. As much as it pains me to say this, Mr. Terrific is light on his feet, makes excellent decisions, & got his squad to the Superbowl despite a subpar defense.

4. Jay Culter. Tough field general who takes a ton of hits, is not soft, & can win any game in the final minutes of the 4th quarter if he has to.

5. Eli Manning. Surpassed his brother Peyton with a 2nd Superbowl ring, has a superb o-line & a top notch defense, & is a "MADE MAN in the BIG Apple Now."

6. Philip Rivers. Reminds me of Dan Marino: Quick release, makes all the throws, no Lombardi hardware to show for it though.

7. Matt Stafford. Tough S.O.B., not easily intimidated, & he will make sure the Lions make a deep Playoffs run this year.

8. Drew Brees. I would have put him higher but not even Brees can rise above "Bounty & illegal wiretape Gate" this year IMO.

9. Matt Ryan. All the necessary talent needed, but when the Playoffs roll around he folds like a lawn chair. Needs to talk to Steve Young & Peyton Manning about "monkey off back" syndrome.

10. Matt Schaub. Great accuracy, scrambles decent, must stay healthy, has all the right pieces around him for a Superbowl Run IMO.

*I cannot place LUCK or RG3 in here yet. I don't care what you did in college; this is the NFL son...Prove yourself 1st okay.

Rodgers and it's not even close.

And so why did his back up break franchise records in the game Rogers sat out . . . you might want to rethink how you wish to be so definative when a back up breakes franchises records with the same car Rogers is driving . . . just saying . . .

Who do you think is the best QB in the league according to rank?

If I may take PM off the board due to his health being an unknown, otherwise he would be up there . . . I have to say that it would come down to Brees and Brady . . . i am not a fan of Rogers and do not think his is all some say that he is . . . (Rogers is the new flavor of the month in my opinion) . . . Brees has done it longer than Rogers and so I would Brees takes an edge over Rogers . . . I like Eli, but outside of 8 games in Jan/Feb 2008/2012, I am not so sure what I can put on his resume . . . Eli is kind of like Big Ben and actually i would give the edge to Big Ben . . .

so for me it would be Brees and Brady closely followed by Rogers and then Big Ben/Eli/Rivers/Cam and so on . . . .

And so why did his back up break franchise records in the game Rogers sat out . . . you might want to rethink how you wish to be so definative when a back up breakes franchises records with the same car Rogers is driving . . . just saying . . .

Was that the game Stafford threw for 520yds and 5Tds........Guess he's the best....

And for what its worth....4 passes from Flynn equaled over 200yds, that helps........

Are we basing this question based on last year's performance or each QB's retrospective NFL career overall? They are entirely 2 different questions if you ask me.

1. Peyton Manning. Yoda will always be Yoda at the line of scrimmage.

2. Aaron Rodgers. Dual precision threat with arm, pose, vision, & feet.

3. Tom Brady. As much as it pains me to say this, Mr. Terrific is light on his feet, makes excellent decisions, & got his squad to the Superbowl despite a subpar defense.

4. Jay Culter. Tough field general who takes a ton of hits, is not soft, & can win any game in the final minutes of the 4th quarter if he has to.

5. Eli Manning. Surpassed his brother Peyton with a 2nd Superbowl ring, has a superb o-line & a top notch defense, & is a "MADE MAN in the BIG Apple Now."

6. Philip Rivers. Reminds me of Dan Marino: Quick release, makes all the throws, no Lombardi hardware to show for it though.

7. Matt Stafford. Tough S.O.B., not easily intimidated, & he will make sure the Lions make a deep Playoffs run this year.

8. Drew Brees. I would have put him higher but not even Brees can rise above "Bounty & illegal wiretape Gate" this year IMO.

9. Matt Ryan. All the necessary talent needed, but when the Playoffs roll around he folds like a lawn chair. Needs to talk to Steve Young & Peyton Manning about "monkey off back" syndrome.

10. Matt Schaub. Great accuracy, scrambles decent, must stay healthy, has all the right pieces around him for a Superbowl Run IMO.

*I cannot place LUCK or RG3 in here yet. I don't care what you did in college; this is the NFL son...Prove yourself 1st okay.

I like your list, glad to see someone give prompts to Cutler, most fans and the press do not . . . but for me Rogers is not that high and I would put Brees higher . . .

Was that the game Stafford threw for 520yds and 5Tds........Guess he's the best....

And for what its worth....4 passes from Flynn equaled over 200yds, that helps........

True, but what ever is . . . is . . . and when one throws for franchise records it stills needs to be taken noticed . . . because it only happens once in a franchise, well, till the record is broken . . .true its not in the 80 year history of the franchise as the throwing is different today then say pre Merger . . . but we are at least talking about some 25 or so years (so say 370 games or so) which include Farve and Rogers for most of those game . . .

Also, Rogers is "good" because of his numbers and wins, which helps depending on which car one drives . . .and yes it is only one data point, one game, but none the less it was a records setting data point . . . i am not saying that Flynn is better . . .but it just gives us some base point of the talent around Rogers . . .

No disrespect meant to Jay Cutler. I think he's better than most people give him credit for. He should have manned up and stayed in Denver, where I think he'd have been better off with Josh McDaniels. Might have really changed the landscape of the NFL today, because of McDaniels and Cutler are still in Denver, Manning goes somewhere else. San Francisco? Tennessee? Hmmm...

Anyways, Cutler didn't have a particularly good year last year. I know he was hurt, but even when he wasn't, nothing really stands out. Completed less than 60% of his passes. I know the offensive line isn't great, but he holds the ball too long, and fumbles too much. He's got to be more decisive, knowing that the line isn't going to give him much time. I also blame Mike Martz (when all else fails, right?) But I think Cutler has some growing to do, both on and off the field. I don't think he's on the same level as Roethlisberger and Rivers, and certainly not with the top five in the league (Manning, Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers).

As for Roethlisberger, I'm not a huge fan, but it's kind of silly to preach Cutler to heaven while blaming his offensive line, and then bad-mouth Ben, whose line is no better. He's just better at extending the play and making something out of nothing. He'd also do well to be more decisive, and his coordinator should help him with hots and outlets, which is one of the things that concerns me about Arians as a playcaller for Andrew Luck. But Roethlisberger really impressed me in Super Bowl 43, and I thought he should have been the MVP of that game, not Santonio Holmes.

Special consideration to Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo and Matt Schaub, who I have on that third tier along with Cutler. All very good quarterbacks, but just not quite as good as the others, to me. Stafford is on his way, and Matt Ryan has time to take another step, but I think the others are who they are at this point.

There's the Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford group, mostly young guys who have shown flashes of being really good quarterbacks, but just haven't quite gotten there yet.

Then there's the Kyle Orton, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Matt Cassel, Kevin Kolb, Tim Tebow group. Flacco might be in the previous group, but he seemed to regress drastically last season, and he has a very good coaching staff and support system in Baltimore, unlike Sanchez or Freeman, who have been surrounded by maniacs and bad playcallers. Anyways, these guys are good enough in the right situation to get you into the playoffs, and maybe even to the Super Bowl, but you're always looking to get better. No coincidence that almost everyone of these guys play for teams that courted Peyton Manning.

are you kidding me jennigs,nelson,jones,finley,driver,colb is one of the top two wr core in the nfl. rodgers is a great qb but brees does more with less talent. your a gb fan so of course your gonna say rodgers is the best. im a colts fan and i like both qb's equally but its obvious that drew brees is the best qb in the nfl.

are you kidding me jennigs,nelson,jones,finley,driver,colb is one of the top two wr core in the nfl. rodgers is a great qb but brees does more with less talent. your a gb fan so of course your gonna say rodgers is the best. im a colts fan and i like both qb's equally but its obvious that drew brees is the best qb in the nfl.

In the last 4 years, the difference between Rodgers and Brees is. 346comp/410att/2516yds/16TDs/27int in Brees favor....So essentially Brees has had a full season more worth of Passing compared to Rodgers...and only has 2516 more yards 16 more Tds and 27more Ints.....But Rodgers has 1053 more rushing yards and 13more rushing TDs......

It's Rodgers and its not even close. Followed by Brady. Then Brees.

Cutler wasn't there when the team needed him.

Yeah last year he got hurt and the Bears went into the dumper but the year before when he was "hurt" in the playoff game then days later was shopping and walking stairs tells me he won't commit. He's a quitter and will never be a top flight QB playing like that.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/1/23/1952168/jay-cutler-knee-injury-bears-nfc-championship-game

I'd argue that a torn MCL is a legitimate injury and that he didn't just have an arbitrary bout of laziness or disinterest during the NFC Championship game that he took his team to.

I'd probably order the usual top 5 thusly:

Peyton

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Eli

And I too think Roethlisburger is overrated.

http://www.sbnation....ampionship-game

I'd argue that a torn MCL is a legitimate injury and that he didn't just have an arbitrary bout of laziness or disinterest during the NFC Championship game that he took his team to.

So what was the cause of Jay Cutler's hard-to-see injury during Sunday's Bears loss?

An MCL sparain in his left knee that may require surgery, according to coaches.

The MCL is a ligament that helps stabilize the knee joint. A Grade 3 tear, according to the report, could cause a player significant pain, swelling and instability. Surgery is not necessarily required.

Cutler's injury certainly hasn't softened the blow of Sunday's loss.

Even pros are weighing in on the game, including Deion Sanders, who Tweeted, "I better see dr andrews operate live on Cutler and Collins tonight after the game on nfl network. Truth."

Maurice Jones-Drew Tweeted, "All I'm saying is that he can finish the game on a hurt knee... I played the whole season on one."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly-detail/The-Verdict-on-Cutlers-Injury-114488079.html#ixzz1uI3BN723

No disrespect meant to Jay Cutler. I think he's better than most people give him credit for. He should have manned up and stayed in Denver, where I think he'd have been better off with Josh McDaniels. Might have really changed the landscape of the NFL today, because of McDaniels and Cutler are still in Denver, Manning goes somewhere else. San Francisco? Tennessee? Hmmm...

Anyways, Cutler didn't have a particularly good year last year. I know he was hurt, but even when he wasn't, nothing really stands out. Completed less than 60% of his passes. I know the offensive line isn't great, but he holds the ball too long, and fumbles too much. He's got to be more decisive, knowing that the line isn't going to give him much time. I also blame Mike Martz (when all else fails, right?) But I think Cutler has some growing to do, both on and off the field. I don't think he's on the same level as Roethlisberger and Rivers, and certainly not with the top five in the league (Manning, Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers).

As for Roethlisberger, I'm not a huge fan, but it's kind of silly to preach Cutler to heaven while blaming his offensive line, and then bad-mouth Ben, whose line is no better. He's just better at extending the play and making something out of nothing. He'd also do well to be more decisive, and his coordinator should help him with hots and outlets, which is one of the things that concerns me about Arians as a playcaller for Andrew Luck. But Roethlisberger really impressed me in Super Bowl 43, and I thought he should have been the MVP of that game, not Santonio Holmes.

Special consideration to Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo and Matt Schaub, who I have on that third tier along with Cutler. All very good quarterbacks, but just not quite as good as the others, to me. Stafford is on his way, and Matt Ryan has time to take another step, but I think the others are who they are at this point.

There's the Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford group, mostly young guys who have shown flashes of being really good quarterbacks, but just haven't quite gotten there yet.

Then there's the Kyle Orton, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Matt Cassel, Kevin Kolb, Tim Tebow group. Flacco might be in the previous group, but he seemed to regress drastically last season, and he has a very good coaching staff and support system in Baltimore, unlike Sanchez or Freeman, who have been surrounded by maniacs and bad playcallers. Anyways, these guys are good enough in the right situation to get you into the playoffs, and maybe even to the Super Bowl, but you're always looking to get better. No coincidence that almost everyone of these guys play for teams that courted Peyton Manning.

chi town maybe

For the 2012 season:

1) Rodgers. Until he >>>s up or falls off, he's the reigning MVP and no one did it better last year. It is what it is.

2A) Brady. Put up MVP-type numbers for the second year in a row and carried a team with a suspect defense to the SB.

2B) Brees. These two guys are very close, IMO, and the A and B are interchangeable.

4) I guess I've got to go with Eli here.

5) Missed 2011 season notwithstanding, this is where I'd "start" Peyton's ranking with the knowledge that he may well climb up from here.

Career-wise?

It's still Brady and Peyton.

Tebow?? This isnt who is the best player playing out of posistion. The guy is a terrible qb. I would like to see him play TE though

This is the bloke that turned around an ordinary team into a playoff side--a year of experience and he just gets better and better

This is the bloke that turned around an ordinary team into a playoff side--a year of experience and he just gets better and better

The defense and the running game turned them around, not him throwing the ball. He barely completed half of his passes. Guy is a great runner, terrible qb. They went to the playoffs by winning the AFC west, not a tough division last year

my top 10 qb's

1. drew brees - does more with less talent around him and makes average players look great.

2. aaron rodgers- the only great mobile pocket qb in the nfl.

3. tom brady- the best mid to short thrower in the nfl

4. ben roelisberger- is the best when under the most pressure and the toughest qb in the league

5.eli manning- clutch when the game is on the line he delivers

6. matthew stafford- has the biggest upside of any qb, also the strongest arm

7. phillip rivers- best play action qb in the league

8. tony romo- has the quickest release and one of the most accurate qb's on the run.

9. matt ryan - very poised under pressure and out of the young qb's the most intelligent

10. joe flacco - cannon for an arm and maybe has the best deep ball in the nfl.

peyton would be 3rd if he wasnt ijured and shaub would replace flacco if he stayed healthy.

I feel Brees is at his best when two things happen:

1) The Saints are at home

2) The Saints have a top run game (see 2009/2011)

The stat padding by Payton/Brees last year turned me off too. If Rodgers/McCarthy wanted to.....they could have set some records. But, they didn't. Rodgers also said he wanted Flynn to have a shot to show his stuff in the season finale, he is good friends with him. I know the Lions might have overlooked them a bit with Rodgers/Jennings/Matthews and Woodson sitting out the game.The Lions also have not beaten GB in GB for a very long time. Maybe since the early 90's I think.

GB develops QBs so well. It's not a crime to have a good backup. If the Colts had a good backup they would not have picked first in the draft this year but they did. People can blame Polian more then Irsay for all the Colts issues last year IMO and what transpired this offseason.

Where Peyton would go because since cutler is in denver Peyton might consider the bears

Ah. I'd hate that. I think the Niners would be #1 on his list at that point. Orton would have stayed with the Bears, and they probably would have drafted one of the guys who came out in the past two seasons.

I fail to see, how after last year, Jay Cutler does not get mentioned in the elite status. That guy carried the Bears last year. Sure they have a pretty good defense, but it isn't the Bears of old. Their Oline rivals the worst in the league, and the guy has no actual threats to throw the ball to. Before he got hurt and they were what, 3rd in the conference behind the undefeated Packers and the 49ers who lost 2 games all year? Once he's gone they can't even muster a win if I'm not mistaken. His value was truly shown, much like Peyton's, when he was no longer playing.

The fact that people put Ben Roethlesberger in elite status, when his team can go 3-1 without him with Dennis Dixon, yet leave Cutler off their lists, I just don't get it. Give him a decent Oline and 17 Wide Receivers like they have in Green Bay, and I would not be afraid to take a bet saying he puts up Rodgers-like numbers and Rodgers-like wins. Heck, Matt Flynn comes in to that offense and breaks records on his first outing.

.....and all this is coming from a guy that hated Cutler prior to last year.

false cutler didn't carry the bears last year . That honor belongs to Matt forte who was 59% of the bears offense last year . Cutler is nothing without forte .

I would take at least half the starters in the league over Roethlisberger....and probably a few backups too.

This is unbelieveably ignorant. Roethlisberer is undoubtly a top QB in this league not anywhere close to the bottom half. Outside of Rodgers(number 1), Brady, Brees, both Mannings I can't see an argument for anyone else. Easily one of the more underrated people in the league.

Rodgers is better than Brady. Deal with it.

Nah, seriously the GB system is very QB friendly, but so is NE. But what Rodgers did last year, beating Manning's season QB rating record and if not rested could have broken Brady's TD record, that's enough for me to know he's the best right now. He can do everything Brees and Brady can and more.