Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How productive will Angerer be under the new system?

OZOC01

Pat Angerer  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How many total tackles will Angerer make during the 2012 season?

• 200+
    • 150 - 199
    • 101 - 149
    • below 100

Depsite the Colt's dreadful 2011 season in general, and their dreadful defense specifically, 3rd year middle linebacker Pat Angerer had a very productive second season. Angerer racked up 148 total tackles, including 78 solo stops. Now that the Colts are switching to a hybrid 3-4 defense, Angerer will be in the spot even more than ever before. How do you believe he will fare, assuming he makes it through the entire 2012 season?

agreed he will be like a young ray lewis except without the you know murder part

Please don't use Ray Lewis as an example. Ray is a HOF and Angerer will likely never even make a pro bowl. I like the kid but people are so blindly supportive of our team. Really makes me wonder what goes on in peoples head.

Please don't use Ray Lewis as an example. Ray is a HOF and Angerer will likely never even make a pro bowl. I like the kid but people are so blindly supportive of our team. Really makes me wonder what goes on in peoples head.

i dont think he is or ever be as good as ray ray, it was Sarcasm for the people that will vote 200+ tackles

I believe Pat will make a pro bowl or 2.But as far as HOF only time and great play can decide that.And we should hope Pat is a future HOF would be awesome.

Angerer seems to be a mediocre LB so far. The new D-system and philosophy may fit his playing-style better, and he may fulfill the duty he will have in the new system well, that may result more tackles, but won't predestine him for being pro-bowler. He needs to be far better for pro-bowl.

Angerer seems to be a mediocre LB so far. The new D-system and philosophy may fit his playing-style better, and he may fulfill the duty he will have in the new system well, that may result more tackles, but won't predestine him for being pro-bowler. He needs to be far better for pro-bowl.

I think Angerer is an above average linebacker, not a star but not someone that the offenses want to lose track of either. He needs to play like Harry Carson did for the Giants with Taylor and Banks on the outside.

Conner will be the strong side tackler, as a strong side ILB in 3-4 fronts, IMO. Angerer will be running around covering guys. So I expect Conner to get more tackles to eat into Angerer's tackle number thus both having less than 100.

Also overlooked is the fact that our D was on the field for a lot of time. From a fantasy football perspective, in an Individual Defensive Player (IDP) league, you always choose the best tackler from the worst team in terms of offensive time of possession because he is on the field way more often. That was the case with Angerer last year. Our O improving its TOP will also be a factor in both Conner and Angerer having less than 100 tackles. Also, Bethea as the safety that comes up and makes tackles, might eat into the number too.

In the past, in a above average/good year for our offense, Brackett and Bethea hovered around the 90 tackle mark several times. However, our O was a quick strike offense, that had something to do with that as well.

I said after the first game of his rookie season that Angerer seems to have the skills to be a probowl LB in a few years and I still believe that and last year a lot of people took notice. His tackle numbers were inflated as Chad72 pointed out because the D was on the field for so long but he has shown great instincts, ability to read and anticipate and the ability to make the stop once he makes contact with the ball carrier.

With the pressure Pagano wants to generate with the front 3 and Freeney, it could mean a lot of dump offs to the TEs and RBs would should help Angerer and Conner's tackle numbers. I could see him having a role similar to what Lewis had last year. Before people jump too far, no I'm not comparing him to Lewis (IMO Lewis changed the ILB position in the NFL, Angerer is just following that change) just saying he will have a similar role and I think a similar impact... Right around 100 tackles, half a dozen PD, couple of FF, FR, couple of sacks...

With Freeney and Mathis blitzing almost every play I don't see Angerer ever blitzing. He was a little slow to react on most plays meaning he had very few tackles for loss and he looked lost in space covering. I expect him to keep improving because he is a very good form tackler (which you want at MLB) but I just don't see the instictive play of a Ray Lewis or a Patrick Willis.

With Freeney and Mathis blitzing almost every play I don't see Angerer ever blitzing. He was a little slow to react on most plays meaning he had very few tackles for loss and he looked lost in space covering. I expect him to keep improving because he is a very good form tackler (which you want at MLB) but I just don't see the instictive play of a Ray Lewis or a Patrick Willis.

The tackles for a loss is a common thought about Angerer but it's not one that is supported by facts.

According to them, Angerer was 14th in the leagie for tackle factor. 8th in +EPA and 6th in +EPA/game. Also when looking at TFL, he was right around the league average he had the same number as players such as Urlacher, Briggs and Cushing and more than; Mathews, Willis, Lewis and others. The site is not infalliable but I like it because it looks more at the individual players effect on the game.

I do agree his coverage skills need some improvement and I think it will because a lot of coverage is experience years of film study to know how the different players react, but I do wonder how much of that was a result of the scheme and poor play calling by Coyer?

Lewis in my opinion was better in the Ravens 4-3 than he was in their 3-4. When he was behind Goose and Sam Adams he was at his best. I feel Lewis has been successful in the 3-4 because of the player that he is. His mind and work ethic set him apart from other linebackers.

I hope Angerer can be productive in the new system, but it will be a test for him.

Lewis in my opinion was better in the Ravens 4-3 than he was in their 3-4. When he was behind Goose and Sam Adams he was at his best. I feel Lewis has been successful in the 3-4 because of the player that he is. His mind and work ethic set him apart from other linebackers.

I hope Angerer can be productive in the new system, but it will be a test for him.

I agree and having 700+ lbs of good DT in front would help anyone. Lewis was also a lot younger then as well.

No, he's been better than mediocre.

I honestly don't know if Angerer will thrive in the new system or if his numbers last year were inflated by last year's situation.

However, one thing I am sure of is that he is JERSEY worthy just for his name alone. The fact that he played his heart out last year and by all accounts seems to be a pretty good guy is just icing on the cake.

depends how well our line does to keep the blockers off our LBers

If you guys run a lot of 2-gap concepts I expect Angerer to struggle while the line attempts to adjust. If you run more of a 1-gap, Wade Phillips-esque scheme then I don't think his production will change all that much from where it was previously.

I agree and having 700+ lbs of good DT in front would help anyone. Lewis was also a lot younger then as well.

I was getting ready to say the exact same thing.

The other difference is Angerer is 6' 0" 235 and the best LB of all time is 6' 1" and a monstrous 250.

My concern is Angerer getting injured as I stated last year.....just a bad feeling.

Imagine if we draft Manti Te'o in 2013 to pair up with him!!! Awesome!!!!

Manti Te'o is 6' 2" and 255 and would have been a first round choice this year.

He is a combo of Ray Lewis and the late Junior Seau. Is it too early to suck for Te'o? :)

If we get productivity from our D-Line which is much better than last year already, I can see Angerer easliy getting over 100 plus tackles, even though I dont believe our defense will be on the field 30 lmao plus minutes as they were last year which will make a big difference in numbers. Do I think hes undersized as a 3-4 LB absolutely, but he's shown a level of consistency on the field that will hopefully translate into a successful LB in this new system

We know Angerer has good instincts, is a good tackler and is dedicated to honing his craft (per his interviews). I think what many of you are saying is that he isn't FAST enough. Not every linebacker has to be blazing fast. Urlacher is the exception and not the rule. Lewis is by no means fast currently...he is efficient and knowledgable. Angerer will never be super fast but he can become more efficient and more knowledgable every year and that should be sufficient for us.

Manti Te'o is 6' 2" and 255 and would have been a first round choice this year.

He is a combo of Ray Lewis and the late Junior Seau. Is it too early to suck for Te'o? :)

I live in Hawaii and he is BIG here, so if we get him I will be very happy. I think he is a late top ten pick, so we don't neccisarily have to suck for him, but can't do too well. I think we have a very good chance to get him if we have a 5 win season.

Im just excited to know we will have that attacking in your face defense.A great improvement over the playing soft or should i say trying to play safe in the past wich we all know didnt work real well.IMO we will see less injuries on our side off ball because of this.Better to be the attacker than the attackee

The colts were interested in Manny Lawson so he could still lose his job but I love the guy, he's a tough and really good tackled which is one thing the colts have been lacking... he's also a good coverage LB contrary to what ppl think. (Look at his Iowa games)

I don't know if he'll be as productive. I only say that because he said he only feels comfortable in the middle. Yes, there is a mike in 3-4, but it's not like the 4-3 mike.

His positioning on the field in a 3-4 isn't going to make any difference whatsoever. It's just too marginal a shift to be a factor.