Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He could have ran.   He could have thrown out away.   He could have went to a different receiver.     He chose to throw it into coverage 2 times in a row.  That's on the QB.   Like not running out of bounds and instead cut it inside near the end of the game.   Maybe he hasn't played enough football to not do the things he should do

that should be obvious to everyone on this forum but especially the ultimate game manager who is Shane Steichen. We should not be surprised when a 22 year old inaccurate qb throws bad passes in bad situations. What I am surprised by is the situations he has been put into when there are alternatives that are safer and undoubtedly more effective. For a franchise that prides itself on using data, there is no way, zero possibility imo, that the playcalling especially end of half scenarios, are based on solid data. Shane was gambling at the end of the half. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Sure he's not great at it, but are you telling me he can't make a screen pass? People are making this out to be a MUCH bigger problem than it is.

This is not the issue.

Again, see above. People are acting like because he's mid 50s in completion that it's ok to call plays for him to just chuck it deep all the time. It's ridiculous.

He may have to arm for it, but deep passes are inherently low percentage plays. ESPECIALLY when that's what's being called every other drive.

Then he'll bust because he can't stay healthy. Refusing to use his strengths and, frankly, misuse him is just beyond stupid. They need to give him A LOT more first read plays and run him A LOT more. Steichen is calling the plays like AR is a 10 year veteran.

Again, he may have the arm for it, but deep plays are just low percentage plays. The playcalling is beyond atrocious.

Give him first read passing plays. Give him screen plays. Run him more. Use JT more. Steichen is playcalling like AR is a veteran.

AR has to GET better. AR needs to BE better, don't get me wrong on that, but Steichen is ABSOLUTELY bungling his playcalling duties it this point. If AR makes too many bad decisions or he skips reads to throw deep all the time, then Steichen needs to force the short throws on first read plays. Saying Steichen can't do anything is ridiculous.

It's possible he AR can make a screen pass. I'm not opposed to more screens being called.

No one is calling for him to chuck it deep all the time. In fact, people are opposed to it because it's a low percentage pass. Unfortunately, although I agree with you that it's a low percentage pass, it's what AR does best and it's what AR chooses to throw.

I'm not sure that deep passes are being called every other drive. I'm certain there are plays with different route concepts that attack short, intermediate, and deep and it's AR that's choosing to throw deep.

AR will bust. He'll bust by not being a good pocket passer and will recognize it. Then he will try to run more to make up for it and get injured and bust out. And the coaches will let him because they'll have no other choice. He's simply not a good passer.

I agree with giving him more roll-outs, more scree plays. But it doesn't change the fact that AR is unable to do the simple things that is required of most QBs in the league. He now has a 44% completion percentage. Shoot, I'd be happy with a mid 50 at this point.

If you want Steichen to reign in AR so much that he mandates the throws AR has to make, then we have a bigger problem.

4 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Cool, you missed what you said completely. You can't act like AR is being forced on Steichen. He can always make the call to sit him and start Flacco, but he's the one who continues to start him and he's the main guy that fought to draft him. If you're mad that AR is taking his rookie lumps instead of of sitting on the bench, then you better be mad at Steichen.

I’m not sure that’s true. We know Ballard has the n the past interfered with these decisions. Jim as well 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

that should be obvious to everyone on this forum but especially the ultimate game manager who is Shane Steichen. We should not be surprised when a 22 year old inaccurate qb throws bad passes in bad situations. What I am surprised by is the situations he has been put into when there are alternatives that are safer and undoubtedly more effective. For a franchise that prides itself on using data, there is no way, zero possibility imo, that the playcalling especially end of half scenarios, are based on solid data. Shane was gambling at the end of the half. 

I think we're making excuses for a guy that was drafted 4th overall.   If he doesn't have any football awareness at all,  we are doomed

This whole strategy has gone terribly wrongs. We drafted arguably the most raw QB prospect to ever come out and immediately made him a starter because somehow a supposedly smart GM decided that the smart strategy was to let him play and be bad. That was the only way for him to get better. Well he’s playing, he’s beyond bad, and he’s not getting better.

He never should have started as a rookie. Better QBs like Mahomes and Brady had to sit. People are kidding themselves with how bad he’s been. It’s historically bad. Almost Bryce Young levels of ineptitude. He looks like he hasn’t learned anything in two years and is nearly identical to who he was at Florida. He’s completing 44% of his passes!!!! 44!! He is not a starting NFL QB at this moment. It’s an insult to every player on the team to put him out there. It’s also starting to look like may never be one. Rookies are not supposed to look this bad. He looks like the worst QB on the team by far.

To continuously put someone on the field that is that bad u see the guise of this being a “development year” is insulting to all the players out there who have dreams of going to the playoffs and actually winning games. Thats not what you do in the NFL. 

TBH this whole experiment has failed. To me it’s time to blow it. Steichen and Ballard should both go. Most of these players need to go too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

He's simply not a good passer.

No he isn't right now. Where you and I disagree is whether or not he can become that.

I agree with giving him more roll-outs, more scree plays. But it doesn't change the fact that AR is unable to do the simple things that is required of most QBs in the league. He now has a 44% completion percentage. Shoot, I'd be happy with a mid 50 at this point.

How do we know that's a fact though? AR's ADOT is 12+!!!. That's not even in the league of reasonable for the most inexperienced QB... probably ever.

You're making up your own facts here because you've seen AR make some misses.

If you want Steichen to reign in AR so much that he mandates the throws AR has to make, then we have a bigger problem.

Forcing AR to make throws that get completions and yards will also teach him that you don't always have to look deep. That's not a problem. That's helping your inexperienced QB get used to the game.

I've said multiple times now AR has not been good. In fact he's probably been the worst QB in the league.... with the hand he's been delt. The focus on AR being bad is just misplaced when coaches and players around him are failing too. Everyone should've expected AR to be bad, but the real issue is playcalling (offensively and defensely), the Oline not stepping up (this game), WRs not making plays or causing untimely penalties... there's plenty of blame to go around, but people just want to hang it on AR.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I think we're making excuses for a guy that was drafted 4th overall.   If he doesn't have any football awareness at all,  we are doomed

I wish we’d just traded back, even out of the first round and rolled with Minshew and Sam E last year. The extra pics would have been massive in the draft this year. 

part of me wonders if this all isn’t planned out. Ride AR, if he busts, oh well, hopefully be in spot to land the next savior … when’s Archie due out again?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think it’s easier to make excuses for a 22 year old that has very little experience and clearly has accuracy and consistency issues than a playcalling head coach that supposedly is “all ball” that has isn’t learning from experience. If AR isn’t developing, then Steichen sure isn’t either, and it’s blatantly obvious. Someone posted that we had this same scenario against Cleveland last year. It’s not the only time. Shane’s end of half management is head scratching at times. He’s very aggressive when it doesn’t seem logical to be. In my opinion, he’s a gambler. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen needs to simplify this offense. This offense looks like they didn’t even practice. Just threw someone off the street is what it looked like.

They have the worst QB. They have an offensive line that is over paid and over rated. They have too much money tied up in the defensive line that is barely serviceable. The receiver room has pierce and an often injured Downs. The entire TE group is non existent. And they have linebackers that tackle people 10 yards down field.

33 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

yet we rushed for 160 yards on 26 carries (6.3 average) so maybe you’re the one being stubborn and “willfully ignorant” eh? 

Agree. I don’t know what he’s talking about.  I saw AR throw deep and our receivers were double covered.  That’s what they are focusing on.  Downs being wide open was the exception.  Remember they had a lot of backup players in the secondary.  I think teams are going to concentrate on stopping the long passes.  They know he is dangerous there not on the short and intermediate stuff.  Take away what he is good at.  That’s going to be what teams are going to do I think.

• Like 1

Just now, ImissPeyton18 said:

They have the worst QB. They have an offensive line that is over paid and over rated. They have too much money tied up in the defensive line that is barely serviceable. The receiver room has pierce and an often injured Downs. The entire TE group is non existent. And they have linebackers that tackle people 10 yards down field.

yet, in spite of all that, we are positioned for a second half of season playoff push and have had multiple legitimate chances now to beat the division leaders. 

It’s a head scratcher. Either we are luckier than anyone or your analysis is really bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

yet, in spite of all that, we are positioned for a second half of season playoff push and have had multiple legitimate chances now to beat the division leaders. 

It’s a head scratcher. Either we are luckier than anyone or your analysis is really bad. 

It’s called parity.  If you have a good quarterback you should be in every game.

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

No he isn't right now. Where you and I disagree is whether or not he can become that.

How do we know that's a fact though? AR's ADOT is 12+!!!. That's not even in the league of reasonable for the most inexperienced QB... probably ever.

You're making up your own facts here because you've seen AR make some misses.

Forcing AR to make throws that get completions and yards will also teach him that you don't always have to look deep. That's not a problem. That's helping your inexperienced QB get used to the game.

I've said multiple times now AR has not been good. In fact he's probably been the worst QB in the league.... with the hand he's been delt. The focus on AR being bad is just misplaced when coaches and players around him are failing too. Everyone should've expected AR to be bad, but the real issue is playcalling (offensively and defensely), the Oline not stepping up (this game), WRs not making plays or causing untimely penalties... there's plenty of blame to go around, but people just want to hang it on AR.

ADOT?

Just now, richard pallo said:

It’s called parity.  If you have a good quarterback you should be in every game.

But we don’t have a good qb at the moment. What’s that say then about the coaching and the roster overall?

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think that's obviously the case. 

U cannot pull him. This so much reminds me of Manning. They said go out there and no matter what we ain't pulling u. They knew he had the mental make up to make it thru the bumps. This is similar to AR. Go out there and no matter what, we will not pull u. I think AR is strong mentally but my God. He needs the reps so badly and i really think that's why he won't get benched. If he gets benched. Then I will start to worry that they have lost faith in him. They are not anywhere near that  yet. I am not sure why everyone is so upset. He is super raw, but if u look past the bad stuff. There is a lot to be positive about. I never see a guy that looks panicked. He doesn't seem to get frustrated. I truly believe he is reading the play and trying to make the best throw. Sure, there are times when he can tuck the ball and run it. I think AR wants to develop as an well rounded qb. Not just an athlete playing qb.He had the two bad decisions at the end of the half. Sure, he was off in his throws. However, those throws he made in the game were not bad decisions. They were just inaccurate. Hope I am making sense, lol?

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think it’s easier to make excuses for a 22 year old that has very little experience and clearly has accuracy and consistency issues than a playcalling head coach that supposedly is “all ball” that has isn’t learning from experience. If AR isn’t developing, then Steichen sure isn’t either, and it’s blatantly obvious. Someone posted that we had this same scenario against Cleveland last year. It’s not the only time. Shane’s end of half management is head scratching at times. He’s very aggressive when it doesn’t seem logical to be. In my opinion, he’s a gambler. 

Yeah. Steichen's very aggressive going for it on 4th downs... etc. Which sometimes works out, and sometimes does not, Now half way thru year two he has shown to be, not been good at calling timeouts, decisions to go for two point conversion, clock management. and even with a 250lb QB ...,unable to get the short yard

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

ADOT?

Average depth of target. Means he on average targets receivers 12 yards down field. I think the good range for the norm is 7-9. He has no business throwing that deep so often. He needs way more short stuff and screens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Average depth of target. Means he on average targets receivers 12 yards down field. I think the good range for the norm is 7-9. He has no business throwing that deep so often. He needs way more short stuff and screens.

Shane is giving him too much. He needs to simplify things and stop treating him like a vet.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

ADOT?

But we don’t have a good qb at the moment. What’s that say then about the coaching and the roster overall?

I think it says we have a very good roster.  The Achilles heel is AR. He and Flacco have somehow managed to play well enough to help us get to 4 wins.  All close games.  Amazing actually.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

When he can almost only throw deep balls, that'll happen. You are cherry picking a stat based on one or two completions he makes per game and avoid the 15-20 short and medium throws he can't make that cost us and cause him to have a <50% completion percentage. Honestly, that's generous. It's probably far lower than that now.

AR5 is not a quarterback…….he is an athlete.

Thats it and that’s all.

NFL is littered with athletes that have failed as QB’s.

This team would be leading the division with a Joe Flacco type decision maker at QB.

Count me as officially off the Anthony Richardson train, he’s a bust, he reminds me of JaMarcus Russell.  Stick a fork in him, he’s done. 

• Like 4

Defense really only allowed 16 points. At least there is that

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

When he can almost only throw deep balls, that'll happen. You are cherry picking a stat based on one or two completions he makes per game and avoid the 15-20 short and medium throws he can't make that cost us and cause him to have a <50% completion percentage. Honestly, that's generous. It's probably far lower than that now.

He has thrown in the middle and short passes. This is all on Steichen 

Here’s a thought.  Some on this board want to keep rolling with AR because he needs reps but let’s face it he is not looking good.  Some want to role with Flacco but think of it as a band-aid as he is almost 40 years old.  So my question is this, why not try Sam.  He’s been learning now for 3 years and is a young QB.  So it kind of has both arguments.  If he pans out then we might have our QB, if not oh well

• Like 1

Also, aside from one play in the backfield on a known running play trying to kill the clock……where was our defensive team captain? Number 44 was  NOWHERE to be found!!!!! 

Talks all that $hit and doesn’t back it up!

Number 45 at least had his nose around the ball all game!

46 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Sure he's not great at it, but are you telling me he can't make a screen pass? People are making this out to be a MUCH bigger problem than it is.

This is not the issue.

Again, see above. People are acting like because he's mid 50s in completion that it's ok to call plays for him to just chuck it deep all the time. It's ridiculous.

He may have to arm for it, but deep passes are inherently low percentage plays. ESPECIALLY when that's what's being called every other drive.

Then he'll bust because he can't stay healthy. Refusing to use his strengths and, frankly, misuse him is just beyond stupid. They need to give him A LOT more first read plays and run him A LOT more. Steichen is calling the plays like AR is a 10 year veteran.

Again, he may have the arm for it, but deep plays are just low percentage plays. The playcalling is beyond atrocious.

Give him first read passing plays. Give him screen plays. Run him more. Use JT more. Steichen is playcalling like AR is a veteran.

AR has to GET better. AR needs to BE better, don't get me wrong on that, but Steichen is ABSOLUTELY bungling his playcalling duties it this point. If AR makes too many bad decisions or he skips reads to throw deep all the time, then Steichen needs to force the short throws on first read plays. Saying Steichen can't do anything is ridiculous.

Just to clarify he is 48.5% completion on the season before this game, which will likely go down after being 31.25% today. 

ron burgundy GIF

But for real....Those are no good times to be a Colts fan (The last few years tbh).

We're all die hard fans for sure and emotions are a sign for that.

But can we please all calm down a little bit and stop calling other forum members * and * and whatever just because they don't share the same opinion?!

Are Colts fans really that unclassy?

I hope not.....

So everybody take a breath, a beer and accept that some people just have other opinions, jeez....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

If you think his chance of hitting deep targets is higher than short/intermediate I can't help you.

If Steichen called more high percentage plays this wouldn't be anywhere near as big a problem. Steichen is playcalling like AR is a veteran, but he still has so much to learn.

I'm not saying AR has been good - not at all in fact. I'm saying the focus on AR be being bad is misplaced, because there are SO many other places to improve. Expecting AR to be anything more than bad with his experience is on you, not AR.

55 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

yet we rushed for 160 yards on 26 carries (6.3 average) so maybe you’re the one being stubborn and “willfully ignorant” eh? 

JT had one for 28 yards. AR contributed 45 yards (one for 26 yards). Downs had 13.

JT alone got us 77. That’s pretty effective for stopping a premier back. 105 yards on the ground from your RB isn’t gonna win you games. Good try!

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U cannot pull him. This so much reminds me of Manning. They said go out there and no matter what we ain't pulling u. They knew he had the mental make up to make it thru the bumps. This is similar to AR. Go out there and no matter what, we will not pull u. I think AR is strong mentally but my God. He needs the reps so badly and i really think that's why he won't get benched. If he gets benched. Then I will start to worry that they have lost faith in him. They are not anywhere near that  yet. I am not sure why everyone is so upset. He is super raw, but if u look past the bad stuff. There is a lot to be positive about. I never see a guy that looks panicked. He doesn't seem to get frustrated. I truly believe he is reading the play and trying to make the best throw. Sure, there are times when he can tuck the ball and run it. I think AR wants to develop as a well rounded qb. Not just an athlete playing qb.He had the two bad decisions at the end of the half. Sure, he was off in his throws. However, those throws he made in the game were not bad decisions. They were just inaccurate. Hope I am making sense, lol?

You’re in denial about how bad he is. Manning completed 56.7% of his passes his rookie year. Richardson is at 44%. One or two more games like this and he’ll be in the 30s. It is not the same situation. To my knowledge, there is no history of a QB being this bad turning it around. Even Darnold, Manziel, Rosen, etc… were not this bad. 44% is horrible. His stats compare favorably to Jamarcus Russell. I’m not even joking.

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U cannot pull him. This so much reminds me of Manning. They said go out there and no matter what we ain't pulling u. They knew he had the mental make up to make it thru the bumps. This is similar to AR. Go out there and no matter what, we will not pull u. I think AR is strong mentally but my God. He needs the reps so badly and i really think that's why he won't get benched. If he gets benched. Then I will start to worry that they have lost faith in him. They are not anywhere near that  yet. I am not sure why everyone is so upset. He is super raw, but if u look past the bad stuff. There is a lot to be positive about. I never see a guy that looks panicked. He doesn't seem to get frustrated. I truly believe he is reading the play and trying to make the best throw. Sure, there are times when he can tuck the ball and run it. I think AR wants to develop as an well rounded qb. Not just an athlete playing qb.He had the two bad decisions at the end of the half. Sure, he was off in his throws. However, those throws he made in the game were not bad decisions. They were just inaccurate. Hope I am making sense, lol?

The kid is a freak athlete.   No question.   The sack he got out of before he came out of the game will haunt that d lineman the rest of his days.   He makes some really bad decisions though.  I want him to succeed and I agree he needs to play.   It has to be frustrating to his teammates though.   If Flacco plays,  we win that game.  The defense played great

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The only reason for the position that the colts are in is the entire AFC South is mediocre at best. Texan's will ultimately win the  division. But they will be one and done. Jacksonville can only beat the Colts. Titans have the best defense but can't beat anybody. Yes it is a head scratcher. My analysis is bad, but true.