Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to beating the Texans

CR91

Personally, I have some points about this.

1. Pressure and contain C.J. Stroud. If he's outside the pocket, the the Colts are torched. So our defensive line has got to step it up this Sunday against Stroud and the Texans offensive line.

2. I know our DB's are very young, but they got to figure our who they got on coverage and make sure Texans receivers, like Stephon Diggs, Nico Collins, and more don't get a huge gain on a play. If you go back to the 2023 finale at Lucas Oil Stadium, the Colts gave up a 75-yard touchdown to Collins from Stroud last year, because of a busted coverage. The Colts have to do better on the defensive back side. 

3. Just mix up run, r.p.o's, and pass plays. Mix it up and it should catch the Texans off guard.

4. Double team Danielle Hunter. He's one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. Have Mo-Alie Cox double team with the offensive tackle on the run/ run-pass option so that he becomes a lesser threat.

So let's get a win and FOR THE SHOE!

spacer.png

• Like 1

I fully expect the Texans to play the run. I think they want to force AR to beat them with his arm.

On the flip side AR needs to be mindful of his mechanics and step into his throws. I feel like he's most inaccurate when he does those "arm" throws, where he just forces it down field with arm strength alone.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2024 at 8:25 PM, CR91 said:

I'll see how well this goes and make this a weekly thing.

1.Pressure

I wouldn't exactly say Stroud can't get out of the pocket, but thats where he does the most damage which is why he can't get comfortable or else he's gotten rip this secondary apart. Latu, Buck, and Paye need to get to Stroud to help our corners against their WRs.

2. Make it hard on their weapons 

Brents needs to be on Diggs the entire game. Follow him everywhere on the field and he needs to make him work. I have Kenny on Dell. Kenny needs to jam and get his hands on Dell. Make his life difficult and absolutely no free releases. Jones and Blackmon need to try to keep Collins in check. Collins is the only player I want doubled in this game. 

3. Get JT started early

I feel like the Texans are gonna come into this game trying to force AR to beat them. I think we're gonna see a lot of 7 to 8 man fronts with man coverage on our WRs. That makes winning on the line of scrimmage important to establish the run game which will then lead to open plays across the middle.

4. Pierce, Mitchell, and Downs (Hopefully) need to win their matchups 

If the Texans wanna just put Stingley on Pitt, then other WRs need to win their one on ones. Texans can't stack the box and double making it crucial that our WRs beat their second third and fourth CB

5. Get AR into a rhythm 

Shane needs to give AR some plays to make things easy for him. This is Richardson's first real game in almost a year so he's gonna be pressing. Keep things simple and work their way to the big shots.

I am skeptical that any Colts CBs can cover 1-1 against that trio. I am guessing we see a lot of zone in this game. I bet they will gladly trade off underneath routes to Diggs or Schultz or whomever. 

Just can’t allow the big plays like Week 18. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jskinnz said:

My issue here is point # 2. The Colts do not generally have a corner follow a WR. They will generally keep their corners on one side of the field. 

But more than that - you seem to suggest that Brents is # 1 corner and that has yet to be proven. Secondly, the suggestion also seems to be that Diggs is their # 1 and that is most definitely not the case. If the Colts were to put their best corner on Houston’s best WR - that would be Collins. 

I trust Brents on Diggs more then Jones on Diggs. I don't see Kenny on Diggs unless their planning to put Diggs in the slot

31 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I am skeptical that any Colts CBs can cover 1-1 against that trio. I am guessing we see a lot of zone in this game. I bet they will gladly trade off underneath routes to Diggs or Schultz or whomever. 

Just can’t allow the big plays like Week 18. 

I just don't like the idea of Stroud picking apart our zones. We're essentially asking our four dlinemen to get to Stroud before he has time to find the open WR in our zone and Stroud is the worst type of QB to do that to because of his accuracy and ability to stand in the pocket

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I just don't like the idea of Stroud picking apart our zones. We're essentially asking our four dlinemen to get to Stroud before he has time to find the open WR in our zone and Stroud is the worst type of QB to do that to because of his accuracy and ability to stand in the pocket

I don't either. But I also have concerns about the secondary. Tank Dell would likely put Kenny on skates in man coverage. We already saw both Jones and Brents try to cover Nico last year 1-1. Add in Diggs, not to mention Schultz (who is likely a mismatch against the LBers in man coverage), and there needs to be some mitigation to the passing game.

The only way to do it is through DL pressure and limiting big plays. So I think that will be the tradeoff. Bank on the DL getting the pressure, but if they can't do it consistently, then at least limit big plays with zone.

We will see though. Stroud is not above making mistakes too. So there's that as well.

• Like 3

Just move the chains, control tempo and try to dominate time of possession and keep Stroud on the sidelines plenty and keep our D fresh. Converting 3rd downs on offense at 50% at least and getting off the field on 3rd downs 70% on D, can win us the game.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Also since no one mentioned it get off the field on 3rd down. Nothing is more frustrating than a team converting on 3rd down over and over again.

it’s not measured on the stats sheet, but I view three and outs like turnovers. It doesn’t always flip the field, but you can get strong field position with a three and out, and it keeps your defense fresh just like a turnover would. The more three and outs on defense and long sustained drives on offense, the more tired and frustrated your opponent is going to get as the game goes on. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

it’s not measured on the stats sheet, but I view three and outs like turnovers. It doesn’t always flip the field, but you can get strong field position with a three and out, and it keeps your defense fresh just like a turnover would. The more three and outs on defense and long sustained drives on offense, the more tired and frustrated your opponent is going to get as the game goes on. 

Opening drive - Colt's first play - play action to JT... use Mitchell and Pittman to clear out the trash - Pierce on a deep seam route.  Shake Houston up from the start.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wonder if they signed Kedon Slovis just for him to spill the beans on what Steichen is preparing for AR... 

You think they'd tell anything to a 5th string QB

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

You think they'd tell anything to a 5th string QB

He's been watching all camp what Steichen is doing with AR. Of course he hasn't given them the specific game plan but... I bet there are some staple plays that they can prepare for. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's been watching all camp what Steichen is doing with AR. Of course he hasn't given them the specific game plan but... I bet there are some staple plays that they can prepare for. 

And Trey Lance was in SF for three years and the 49ers killed the cowboys last year. I think you're overestimating what Slovis can give the Texans 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The Texans already know more than Slovis could give them.   

• Thanks 1

I will add a key defensively will be taking advantage of favorable 2nd, 3rd and long situations and getting off the field when the opportunity presents itself.  The defense was poor in these situations especially in the 4th quarter of week 18 last year.  Hopefully, Latu, who looks like real deal as a pass rusher, helps with this.  

Offensively, Richardson is going to have to be good at hitting the intermediate routes with enough accuracy to put his receivers in good position to take advantage of YAC.  I suspect the Texans are going to load the box especially early on and leave some opportunities in that 10-15 yard range with certain types of routes into bigger plays if the passes are delivered with good timing and accuracy to catch receivers in full stride turning those things into chunk plays.  

Personally, I think the Colts win on Sunday.  This opening day losing streak has gone on long enough and has to end sometime.  Plus, I think the Texans, while a good team, have been receiving a little too much hype.  

• Like 1

Will Anderson vs Raimann 

Fries and Smith side to be attacked with blitz and stunts successfully.

Yes our corners will have trouble beyond 2.5 seconds.

So yes AR needs to do a really good job getting rid of the ball quickly and accurately.

Steichen will run the ball 50/50 and of course we must be effective.

Lewis and Kwity are going to be Really good at protecting our edges. Being able to trust that will greatly help our LB's and the supporting safeties to make more plays closer to the LOS. More 2nd - 3rd longs. 

And I believe our DT talent and depth will be rock and Rollin against the run. 

Pass Rush

Lewis is going to impress. In passing situations Buckner playing wrecking ball beside Latu is going to be Insane. It will make the Kwity and the DT beside him to also be able to unleash. Gonna be exciting.

Can't wait to see Ade Adewamore cut loose. I think he may do something special this season.

And I hope Dayo figures it out this season.

We have the Horses to be a top 5 Defensive front.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kamtheman2003 said:

Personally, I have some points about this.

1. Pressure and contain C.J. Stroud. If he's outside the pocket, the the Colts are torched. So our defensive line has got to step it up this Sunday against Stroud and the Texans offensive line.

2. I know our DB's are very young, but they got to figure our who they got on coverage and make sure Texans receivers, like Stephon Diggs, Nico Collins, and more don't get a huge gain on a play. If you go back to the 2023 finale at Lucas Oil Stadium, the Colts gave up a 75-yard touchdown to Collins from Stroud last year, because of a busted coverage. The Colts have to do better on the defensive back side. 

3. Just mix up run, r.p.o's, and pass plays. Mix it up and it should catch the Texans off guard.

4. Double team Danielle Hunter. He's one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. Have Mo-Alie Cox double team with the offensive tackle on the run/ run-pass option so that he becomes a lesser threat.

So let's get a win and FOR THE SHOE!

spacer.png

Interesting you bring up that 75 yard td. Blackmon didn't play in that game. Does that play happen if he's back there instead of Cross?

The number one question is, can we get pressure on Stroud? I’m getting really tired of Paye and Dayo’s  lack of perseverance. Neither of them have a very high motor if they don’t get to the quarterback quickly, they seem to just lose energy. Hopefully having Latu will rub off on both of them. We had over 50 sack last year, but how many times did we watch the lack of pressure over and over and over again last season. Ballard keeps investing in the defensive line. It needs to pay off this season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

The number one question is, can we get pressure on Stroud? I’m getting really tired of Paye and Dayo’s  lack of perseverance. Neither of them have a very high motor if they don’t get to the quarterback quickly, they seem to just lose energy. Hopefully having Latu will rub off on both of them. We had over 50 sack last year, but how many times did we watch the lack of pressure over and over and over again last season. Ballard keeps investing in the defensive line. It needs to pay off this season.

I think that'll be the strenght of this team. The d-line.

I think we Sack Stroud 5+ times Sunday...

On 9/3/2024 at 8:13 AM, kamtheman2003 said:

Bingo. Pressure him relentlessly. He's much better out of the pocket than he gets credit for, and if you have any doubts, go back and watch Week 18 again. Pressure him quickly, finish when you get hands on him, and you'll give the secondary chances to make plays. 

Just now, Superman said:

Bingo. Pressure him relentlessly. He's much better out of the pocket than he gets credit for, and if you have any doubts, go back and watch Week 18 again. Pressure him quickly, finish when you get hands on him, and you'll give the secondary chances to make plays. 

And just get in his face as much as possible. Like you said, hitting him early and often in the first half will mess up the rhythm. Then pressure later in the game will lead to more mistakes and early timed throws. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

By all accounts, it will "Paye" off this season.  Trust!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

And just get in his face as much as possible. Like you said, hitting him early and often in the first half will mess up the rhythm. Then pressure later in the game will lead to more mistakes and early timed throws. 

Yup. And of course, these are the foundational principles of our pass defense in general. If we're going to play 2 coverages 70% of the time, the pass rush will decide everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1