Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[JT O'Sullivan] Anthony Richardson Pre-Season vs Bengals

stitches

• coltsfeva changed the title to QB School Breakdown
19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He is pretty critical of Pittman’s route running.  Also thought he should have caught the crosser.  Always an interesting listen.  Thanks.

IIRC JTO has been critical of Pitt before.

If AR is to have quick success the supporting cast needs to limit the f-ups - that's route running, concentration drops, blocking... all that jazz.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stitches said:

Thank you stitches. This view and his viewpoints can make us smarter and wiser, for those that comprehend it.

He is loving him some AR. 

I'm believing we have an Excellent o-line coach, and that Jim Bob and Shane are superb in their own right.

I see Greatness ahead. Maybe even later THIS season.

• Like 1

I’m getting the feeling AR is afraid to pull the trigger on the outside 1 on 1s more . I think that’s where he needs to let loose with giving AD a chance for those double moves and Cover 2 beaters especially if the safety is at half of field instead of a proper third like classic Cover 2. You have to test out the safety with a catch radius like AD has.

Pittman sure was putting AR in bad situations by running into a crowd too often, not what you expect from a vet WR

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I’m getting the feeling AR is afraid to pull the trigger on the outside 1 on 1s more . I think that’s where he needs to let loose with giving AD a chance for those double moves and Cover 2 beaters especially if the safety is at half of field instead of a proper third like classic Cover 2. You have to test out the safety with a catch radius like AD has.

Pittman sure was putting AR in bad situations by running into a crowd too often, not what you expect from a vet WR

How does AR look in preseason so far?

54 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

How does AR look in preseason so far?

More steps forward than backwards, IMO but anyone expecting him to play like a polished C J Stroud in his rookie year is going to be disappointed. He just needs to have short term memory with his mistakes and quickly adapt and move forward not making the same mistakes again or get rattled by them thus helping us win situationally as games go on.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

More steps forward than backwards, IMO but anyone expecting him to play like a polished C J Stroud in his rookie year is going to be disappointed. He just needs to have short term memory with his mistakes and quickly adapt and move forward not making the same mistakes again or get rattled by them thus helping us win situationally as games go on.

Do you think you guys would have made the playoffs last year had he stayed healthy?

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

Possibly. Hard to say really what he is thinking. Could also be coaching telling him to not force a ball and take the yards until the big play shows itself. A lot of young players with big arms think they can thread the needle but quickly find out NFL DBs will make them pay. I think the big plays will become more frequent as the season progresses and AR can watch more film with the coaches. AR looked better than we thought last year but this time off did him no favors. He has a long ways to go and hopefully he can limit mistakes getting there. 

• Like 3

Arm talent, potential and inconsistency, a resume of AR in a 30min video.

I truly think he can be great. Are we going to have the patience to wait for his consistency?

It really looks like Josh Allen, and probably will have the same year 1 and 2 results.

Always love JT O'Sullivan's take.

Most interesting points:

1. The touchdown crosser to Mitchell was released half a heartbeat away from being hit by the blitzing linebacker to his left.  Very exciting!  But not something I would like to see every week.
  2. JT placed the blame on the pick-6 squarely on the shoulders of Granson.  Said that nowhere in the NFL are you coached to face inside and then turn outside.  AR threw the ball exactly where Granson would have been had he continued inside.  Right into the defender's chest.
  3. JT showed film of the RPO run by Evan Hull swallowed up by penetration for a loss.  They ran that into a 7-man close front with double-A gaps covered.  It looked almost like a Bear front.  And nobody in their right mind would run into it.  Rather, they would audible out of it.  I'm guessing that the coaches wanted to see the "R" in "RPO" regardless of defensive front, and they ran it anyway.  And it got swallowed.
  4. The 19 yard strike to Granson down the left hash was precision football.  That was thrown in a tight, Tight, TIGHT window.  Almost to the point of it shouldn't have been thrown.  And, whoa! what a strike.  Great to see.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is always critical of him. I don’t get it.

Yes he is. I thought he was a little nitpicky in a previous breakdown, but I can't really disagree with anything he said in this game. Pittman looked like he was jogging routes on some of those plays. I hope it gets called out in meetings because he has to be better.

On 8/24/2024 at 10:09 AM, richard pallo said:

He is pretty critical of Pittman’s route running.  Also thought he should have caught the crosser.  Always an interesting listen.  Thanks.

When I saw this in my mind I thought it was possible Pitt was told to put nothing on film in the preseason.   He runs fairly solid routes in games that count. 

On 8/25/2024 at 11:52 PM, Superman said:

Yes he is. I thought he was a little nitpicky in a previous breakdown, but I can't really disagree with anything he said in this game. Pittman looked like he was jogging routes on some of those plays. I hope it gets called out in meetings because he has to be better.

Last season the first game or so Pittman was getting called out here for such effort.

Then a fire was lit and all aspects of his game earned him a good contract.

We are different now with AD and Richardson. Pitt shouldn't be getting 100 catches. It will be interesting to see if his 2023 effort continues. I say yes.

We are only experience and Maybe a top corner away from being legitimate contenders.