Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign WR Laquon Treadwell

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Why? How about signing a safety?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just want to ask. Do you not believe the Colts -- specifically Ballard -- when they say they like the DBs they have? 

Also, this Treadwell signing raises my eyebrows because it's a notable name player, former first rounder. But they waived a WR to sign another one. It's not uncommon for roster churn moves like this when camp starts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The player they cut was probably not going to make the team anyway.  So why not take a look with such a highly drafted prospect.  Maybe this is a hint there could be a few more signing like this if the situation presents itself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just want to ask. Do you not believe the Colts -- specifically Ballard -- when they say they like the DBs they have? 

Also, this Treadwell signing raises my eyebrows because it's a notable name player, former first rounder. But they waived a WR to sign another one. It's not uncommon for roster churn moves like this when camp starts. 

It’s not that I don’t believe Ballard, I just don’t trust that either Cross or Thomas will be the answer at FS. And you have two guys that can immediately be an upgrade in my opinion covering the middle of the field, mostly due to their instincts as veterans. 

• Like 1

Why are people complaining about bringing in a guy who at least has experience and will provide competition?

Let’s just hope Ballard continues building up the back of the roster at a few other positions, mainly the DBs.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

It’s not that I don’t believe Ballard, I just don’t trust that either Cross or Thomas will be the answer at FS. And you have two guys that can immediately be an upgrade in my opinion covering the middle of the field, mostly due to their instincts as veterans. 

That's a fair viewpoint, and you might even be right. But the Colts want to give them the chance to fill the spot. Ballard has explained his position on this many times. That's the answer to the question you asked. 

If it were up to me, we probably would have signed a veteran safety in March. I get why you don't trust the guys we have. But I think Ballard should be judged on the results, not based on whether he makes the moves I think he should make. 

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I could swear we've had Treadwell before at some other point in time. I'm not worried about him doing anything though. Has never proven to cut the mustard.

I had the exact same thought.   That the Colts had signed him years ago.  But his Wikipedia page says we’re both wrong.  

I have no problem kicking the tires.  You never know when you might get a little lucky.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Superman said:

That's a fair viewpoint, and you might even be right. But the Colts want to give them the chance to fill the spot. Ballard has explained his position on this many times. That's the answer to the question you asked. 

If it were up to me, we probably would have signed a veteran safety in March. I get why you don't trust the guys we have. But I think Ballard should be judged on the results, not based on whether he makes the moves I think he should make. 

Talented safety veterans don't like training camp, and head-to-head competition with less experienced players - even those with potential - may not be right at this moment. We don't know all the details that may have been worked out, just waiting for the right time.

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Why are people complaining about bringing in a guy who at least has experience and will provide competition?

Let’s just hope Ballard continues building up the back of the roster at a few other positions, mainly the DBs.

I agree, replacing any player on the roster with a better player, regardless of depth, is a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Titans just signed Shane Ray. I guess it's the week for washed up former first rounders to join the AFC South.

so many end up as busts. i feel like the end of our WR depth does have a spot or two. 

doesn't hurt to try ig. imagine if one of them makes a resurgence, GM looks like a mastermind. 

20 hours ago, Superman said:

I’m absolutely sure he does, but Ballard has a history of overvaluing his own players (in my opinion at least), so that doesn’t really put me at ease. 

Edit: That said, Ballard has said a couple of times he wants to see his guys in pads before he really knows what he’s got. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I’m absolutely sure he does, but Ballard has a history of overvaluing his own players (in my opinion at least), so that doesn’t really put me at ease. 

Edit: That said, Ballard has said a couple of times he wants to see his guys in pads before he really knows what he’s got. 

Serious question, specifically about Cross.  Personally I believe he has all physical tools to play FS.

But can you really evaluate how well he plays just in practice?  That’s maybe the most instinctive position (requiring football instincts) on the D side of the field.  Preseason games are also not exactly good indicators, play is vanilla with no scheming.  

In practice you know the receivers, their tendencies and their routes.  Will the coaches know if Cross has the goods prior to facing Stroud and Love?

• Like 1

Just now, Smonroe said:

Serious question, specifically about Cross.  Personally I believe he has all physical tools to play FS.

But can you really evaluate how well he plays just in practice?  That’s maybe the most instinctive position (requiring football instincts) on the D side of the field.  Preseason games are also not exactly good indicators, play is vanilla with no scheming.  

In practice you know the receivers, their tendencies and their routes.  Will the coaches know if Cross has the goods prior to facing Stroud and Love?

I think Cross should get the chance, but my stance all offseason has been we need to get a solid veteran to secure a high floor. We know Thomas isn’t the answer and what else do we have at FS behind Cross?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think Cross should get the chance, but my stance all offseason has been we need to get a solid veteran to secure a high floor. We know Thomas isn’t the answer and what else do we have at FS behind Cross?

Yes, even if Cross is the answer that position is ultra thin.  There will be injuries, and at some point there will be very little experience back there.  That guy is going to be picked on.  

I thought they’d try Simpson at FS, he played some in college.  Faced some really good SEC receivers.

I won’t be surprised it they sign a veteran S soon.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think he will be given his opportunity in the preseason games.  All players are evaluated in camp and in preseason.  That’s where they have to show out.  Stroud already toasted him last year.  I think he knows he’s under the microscope.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think he will be given his opportunity in the preseason games.  All players are evaluated in camp and in preseason.  That’s where they have to show out.  Stroud already toasted him last year.  I think he knows he’s under the microscope.

Yeah, I get that.  But my point, or my question is - can you really evaluate him until it’s a real game?  Practice and preseason don’t present the same decisions for a FS as does a real game.  Stroud and Love aren’t the best QBs to face OTJ training.

In my mind, the logical thing to do is to reduce risk by bringing in a proven veteran and letting Cross compete with him.  Worst case is that he learns, best case is that he beats him out.  Either way, there’s some depth at that spot.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

That's fair, just saying that Ballard has explained why they haven't signed a safety. I wonder if people are unaware of that explanation, or just rejecting it entirely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

In my mind, the logical thing to do is to reduce risk by bringing in a proven veteran and letting Cross compete with him.  Worst case is that he learns, best case is that he beats him out.  Either way, there’s some depth at that spot.  

Yes, BUT, you have to keep in mind that the veteran safeties that could come in and provide a definite upgrade aren't gonna want to come here to compete. They're likely going to hold out until an obvious/guaranteed starting spot opens

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's fair, just saying that Ballard has explained why they haven't signed a safety. I wonder if people are unaware of that explanation, or just rejecting it entirely.

I think most of those posters understand why he’s going in this direction. They just don’t agree with his reasoning, so therefore yes they’re rejecting it. 

• Like 2

At the end of the season the Colts will have 7 wide receivers' contracts expire.  Most are roster depth and rarely see the field on game day.  Do think a lot of upside potential signing Treadwell and has proven experience as a former first rounder.  Figuring Dulin might be the highest value of the seven and Treadwell in the mix.  Dulin's injury history might make him expendable.  

As for Nick Cross I think he will do very well in our Cover-3 at FS.  Cross has quick speed and should be able to see the field and should transition well.  Honestly hoping for a serviceable option with the potential to draft Josh Down's little brother in two years.  Keep an eye on Caleb Downs now with The Ohio State University.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

What's there to "get" about replacing one WR who will get cut with another who will get cut?

Just seems like a pointless signing is all

48 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Colts are the 8th team Treadwell has been on since 2016.

He is absolute garbage. I worry about the talent in the WR room if Treadwell beats anyone for a spot on the 53.

Lol, what an introductory post!!!