Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Josh Downs being slept on?

CR91

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think all the attention has been on AD lately, but Downs looks like he's been putting in work too this off-season 

AD is the new hyped up kid in town. This is to be expected, but I also expect him to turn some heads this season and show everyone what he can really do with AR. 

• Like 1

I see him mentioned quite often here and also on podcast I listen to. He had a fantastic rookie season and plenty of reason to expect more growth from him. He broke the team record for rookie receptions and had 771yds and 2 tds. If he can get 15-20% more yards and hit the 5-6 TD mark, more people will start to talk about him. He just needs to play more but I’m looking forward to seeing how he grows in this offense. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I see him mentioned quite often here and also on podcast I listen to. He had a fantastic rookie season and plenty of reason to expect more growth from him. He broke the team record for rookie receptions and had 771yds and 2 tds. If he can get 15-20% more yards and hit the 5-6 TD mark, more people will start to talk about him. He just needs to play more but I’m looking forward to seeing how he grows in this offense. 

I don’t know that Downs will ever be a touchdown machine for us, and there is nothing wrong with that. To me, he’s going to move sticks and put pressure on defenses which will open the top up for others. I’m not sure he is going to be a redzone target over Pittman, Mitchell and hopefully Woods. But he’s a stud nonetheless and if he can continue to grow, so will this offense. I like Josh Downs a lot. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Shhh, the more he is "overlooked" the better off Downs and the Colts will be.

Plus he should be available for fantasy! He helped me out big time during the middle of the season last year. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Plus he should be available for fantasy! He helped me out big time during the middle of the season last year. 

Speaking of fantasy… I sat Downs right before the Browns game, and of course he had that long TD and great game in general. I barely won that week, but damnit I was upset about it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Speaking of fantasy… I sat Downs right before the Browns game, and of course he had that long TD and great game in general. I barely won that week, but damnit I was upset about it. 

That was the exact game that I randomly threw him in. 

• Like 1

I’ve read nothing but good things about Downs all off-season.   I think he’s ready for a classic season 2 jump.  

The only down side for our very talented WR room is that there are so many mouths to feed.  Of course this is a good problem to have.  But someone like Downs might not improve on his very good rookie numbers and it would have nothing to do with Downs.   Everyone will want their catches.   Some will be disappointed.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t know that Downs will ever be a touchdown machine for us, and there is nothing wrong with that. To me, he’s going to move sticks and put pressure on defenses which will open the top up for others. I’m not sure he is going to be a redzone target over Pittman, Mitchell and hopefully Woods. But he’s a stud nonetheless and if he can continue to grow, so will this offense. I like Josh Downs a lot. 

I agree, he will be mostly used between the 20s. That’s where a player like him excels bc the field is more open.  He will have to take a few to the house to get more recognition bc like you said he won’t be a red zone target. I think he is going to make the perfect high end 3rd receiver in this offense. 

Now that we have a real quarterback, I could see down having a fantastic year. He’s got great speed and he runs solid routes.

Let’s imagine for a second that we have Richardson, Taylor, Pittman, Mitchell, Pierce, Ogletree, Woods and Downs together that would be pretty good if all the hype turns to reality

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Now that we have a real quarterback, I could see down having a fantastic year. He’s got great speed and he runs solid routes.

Let’s imagine for a second that we have Richardson, Taylor, Pittman, Mitchell, Pierce, Ogletree, Woods and Downs together that would be pretty good if all the hype turns to reality

Sir, that's 13. Too many players in the huddle 😂

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Yes healthy at the same time. Great group and igotta throw in Mallory for sure. Let alone a versatile group of backup RB'S. Yippee!!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve read nothing but good things about Downs all off-season.   I think he’s ready for a classic season 2 jump.  

The only down side for our very talented WR room is that there are so many mouths to feed.  Of course this is a good problem to have.  But someone like Downs might not improve on his very good rookie numbers and it would have nothing to do with Downs.   Everyone will want their catches.   Some will be disappointed.  

I agree.

Second year in Shane's system so he should really know the playbook

• Like 1

Slept on, not really.

I do believe he could be in for a big season regardless of the QB. Hopefully its AR, but Josh will be a household name because of what he is going to do for the fantasy football community. I can see him going for 8-10 TD’s this season.

• Like 1

I've looked at least some film on most of the 13 WRs on the roster. 

This is me believing they will keep 6 and not 7 WRs on the 53. These 6 may seem obvious to some, but I hadn't looked closely at all of the 13 on the 90 man until today:

Pittman

Mitchell

Downs(SWR in most personnel packages)

Dublin 

Pierce 

Gould

It's a decent WR room. The TE room has some talent, but doesn't have that one guy that offenses fear. 

Jonathan Taylor can also add a little more to the passing game. I saw Taylor enough at Wisconsin to not have to look at much tape on him, to know what he brings to the table.

On 7/17/2024 at 3:30 PM, ADnum1 said:

I agree.

Second year in Shane's system so he should really know the playbook

By knowing the playbook he knows where his teammates will be going.

Using that knowledge Downs says he and AR are on the same page and that he will often just read the defense and be running his choice of routes to find open space. Kelce

The guy has brilliant feet and quickness to instantly get defenders off balance. He will have many significant catch and runs. If he can play 15+ games, he will be a Pro Bowler. 

• Like 1