Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard being stubborn at safety

Titans just signed safety Jamal Adams today, and it got me thinking why is Ballard sitting in his hands yet again with a big need still at safety? It’s been his downfall for years not addressing key need areas going into a season. And it’s not like it’ll cost him that much to go get a Simmons or Diggs at safety. My guess would be a 1 year 4 or 5 mil deal at most. They can easily afford that with very little risk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let’s hope this signing gets Ballard’s attention.  Adams deal is only for one year too.   I think that position group is another injury away from being a dumpster fire.  I can not believe we have not added a veteran especially after Scott’s injury.  Hopefully Ballard has a couple of irons in the fire.  His patience is unnerving I will say that.

• Like 2

There's also the possibility that Jamal Adams didn't want to play here.  Not saying that this is the reason, but offering an alternative to the standard "It didn't happen because Ballard wasn't interested in doing it" reason.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

IMO, I don't see Ballard making anymore moves. He seems content with the 22 we will be sending out there + the depth we have at D.Line, and we are strong on SP Teams at Kicker and Punter. Like everyone here, we are all concern about the secondary, but Simmons is a pipe dream.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Zero concerns. Ballard typically pulls a rabbit out of his hat in the secondary if needed anyway.  Not an ideal situation but I’m not worried.

Was someone pregnant last season, because that rabbit was dead.  

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO, I don't see Ballard making anymore moves. He seems content with the 22 we will be sending out there + the depth we have at D.Line, and we are strong on SP Teams at Kicker and Punter. Like everyone here, we are all concern about the secondary, but Simmons is a pipe dream.

He basically said they aren't going to sign any vets, unless something changes. Daniel Scott got hurt, and they still didn't sign someone.

And even if I really wanted them to sign someone, it wouldn't be Jamal Adams. Simmons or Diggs would be my two choices, and they're both still available, for now. But it probably doesn't matter, because the Colts aren't looking to sign anyone.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Zero concerns. Ballard typically pulls a rabbit out of his hat in the secondary if needed anyway.  Not an ideal situation but I’m not worried.

I don’t have any faith in either Cross or Thomas at FS. I don’t know how you could. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

There's also the possibility that Jamal Adams didn't want to play here.  Not saying that this is the reason, but offering an alternative to the standard "It didn't happen because Ballard wasn't interested in doing it" reason.

I don’t buy that Ballard was interested in signing Adams at all. He basically signed a very cheap 1 year deal with TN. If you can’t outbid that for a guy you want you’re not trying. And the Colts are a more desirable team right now due to recent success over the Titans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Titans just signed safety Jamal Adams today, and it got me thinking why is Ballard sitting in his hands yet again with a big need still at safety? It’s been his downfall for years not addressing key need areas going into a season. And it’s not like it’ll cost him that much to go get a Simmons or Diggs at safety. My guess would be a 1 year 4 or 5 mil deal at most. They can easily afford that with very little risk. 

This is a big nothing burger.   First Adams is a strong safety and the Colts are looking for someone more of a free safety.   And the two this fan base wants most,  Simmons and Diggs are still available!   Hello?   

With this signing perhaps it breaks the log jam, sets a rough market and leads to the Colts signing someone.   

Does it really matter who signs someone first?   The Titans signed someone.  Good for them.   But since we’ve waited this long does it really matter how much longer we wait before we sign someone?    Next week?   The week after?   Aug 1?   I don’t care.   I would like to sign someone,  but if the Colts don’t maybe it says they like what they’re seeing from Cross?   

No reason to worry — at this point. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One thing to be good with the starters, but S depth is very much a need. 

• Like 2

I'm not worried about Jamal Adams TBH. He is usually a liability in coverage but good at blitzing.

Ballard does usually ignore a position and rolls the dice. Last year I wasn't happy how he didn't even bring in competition for Fries at RG. I posted something similar to the opening post in the training camp threads. I ended up being wrong and RG was nowhere near the issue myself and some others thought it was going to be.

It's not that simple. This time of the year, vets are, 

A - Avoiding training camp

And 

B - Waiting for injuries to get the best deal. 

You also need to see what you have in Cross

• Like 3

I think they are expecting Cross and Thomas will be better. We already know what Blackmon brings to the table. Also have the rook from Auburn who can play corner and safety. Probably not that hard to find another Daniel Scott type guy somewhere on another team for cheap also. It's still early 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is a big nothing burger.   First Adams is a strong safety and the Colts are looking for someone more of a free safety.   And the two this fan base wants most,  Simmons and Diggs are still available!   Hello?   

With this signing perhaps it breaks the log jam, sets a rough market and leads to the Colts signing someone.   

Does it really matter who signs someone first?   The Titans signed someone.  Good for them.   But since we’ve waited this long does it really matter how much longer we wait before we sign someone?    Next week?   The week after?   Aug 1?   I don’t care.   I would like to sign someone,  but if the Colts don’t maybe it says they like what they’re seeing from Cross?   

I agree Adams wasn’t a likely target. But often  a signing like this just prior to camp gets the ball rolling for the other unsigned vets. I’d expect some immediate action now that Adams is off the table. Hopefully the Colts are in the game. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Injuries always happen during the training camp phase. Always. Those available will be signed eventually at some point next month. 

As for the Colts? We’re going to roll out who we have. 

You may be right about the Colts. But I sure hope not. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I agree Adams wasn’t a likely target. But often  a signing like this just prior to camp gets the ball rolling for the other unsigned vets. I’d expect some immediate action now that Adams is off the table. Hopefully the Colts are in the game. 

Im not expecting anything from the Colts ant least in the short term.  Assuming the Colts are even interested in either Simmons or Diggs I think those guys will wait for camp and an inevitable injury.  That will motivate teams to up their offer.   And that would — in theory — include the Colts.   I’m not expecting anything from the Colts until Aug 1 at the earliest.   

I’d like a signing, so I hope I’m wrong and a quality signing happens sooner than later.  

The only one I really want is Simmons and he likely doesn't want to go through a camp as he doesn't have to. It allows the team to have a better feel what they have. If the staff is concerned and he's available then I think it's an option

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To the bolded, it can definitely matter who signs someone first if both GMs are interested in the player. The issue is, the public usually doesn't know if a team that doesn't sign a player was interested in him because the GM isn't going to publicly admit he "missed" on a player. However, it happens a lot more than people think. 

We see it as Adams didn't want to play here or some other reason, but it could have been Ballard didn't offer enough. That's been a pattern for a long time now that's repeated itself and Ballard has admitted that he places a price on a player and won't go over that. So a big possibility is Ballard is just cheap and players are signing with other teams for more money. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, wig said:

The only one I really want is Simmons and he likely doesn't want to go through a camp as he doesn't have to. It allows the team to have a better feel what they have. If the staff is concerned and he's available then I think it's an option

pretty much my thoughts.  I would like for us to grab Simmons.  Impact vet who could come in and perform.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

To the bolded, it can definitely matter who signs someone first if both GMs are interested in the player. The issue is, the public usually doesn't know if a team that doesn't sign a player was interested in him because the GM isn't going to publicly admit he "missed" on a player. However, it happens a lot more than people think. 

We see it as Adams didn't want to play here or some other reason, but it could have been Ballard didn't offer enough. That's been a pattern for a long time now that's repeated itself and Ballard has admitted that he places a price on a player and won't go over that. So a big possibility is Ballard is just cheap and players are signing with other teams for more money. 

I don’t know how you missed it…. But Adams is a strong safety.   His name has rarely been mentioned here this off-season.  The two names the community has called for are Simmons and Diggs.  Both are still available.  

If anything Tenn may have done the Colts a favor.  By signing Adams they may have broken a log jam and made it easier to sign the safeties the Colts might be interested in.   

Again…. I hope we sign a safety.  I’m just not worrying that the Colts haven’t done it yet.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ballard usually tells us exactly what he is going to do. In an interview he stated they can’t tell anything until the pads come on. The Colts will make a decision in training camp. Until then Blackmon and Cross are the starters. I personally don’t feel the Colts will sign a bigger name safety and instead go with a backup type player for depth. Forum won’t like it but the Colts prefer to play their guys and see what happens. 

• Like 4

IMHO

If we bring in a safety, it should be a free safety, not a strong safety

Adam was an amazing player.

He has been injured and fallen off 

Im not sure if he is the same player as before

I dont think that we will do anything until camp, but I would MUCH rather to just do it now.......

We have youngsters all over the place in the DB room......  need a vet FS

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oops, I didnt notice that you had already noted the FS vs SS before I posted

• Like 1

Adams has been hurt a lot the past few years, but I think it's a good low-risk gamble. An underrated storyline from the AFCS this offseason is that TEN has revamped most of their secondary...upgrading both boundary CBs and (possibly) the SS position. Add those 3 moves to Hooker and McCreary...and their bottom 3 pass defense could drastically improve.

Regarding IND, TEN and IND have different needs at S. IND has depth chart at SS (Blackmon, Harrison, Cross, Denbow) so they need a FS (until we know Cross can play it). I still expect them to sign somebody, at least for depth. Cross is still unproven and Thomas was a liability.

• Like 1

Definitely didn't want Adams personally, but no idea how Diggs and Simmons are still out there. Both would help immensley. Diggs is pretty tight with Moore too, he shouts him out all the time. Feel like he would come here if the money was right.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Definitely didn't want Adams personally, but no idea how Diggs and Simmons are still out there. Both would help immensley. Diggs is pretty tight with Moore too, he shouts him out all the time. Feel like he would come here if the money was right.

Adams signed for only 1.1m.  He was scheduled to make 17.5m before his release.  Hard for me to see Simmons or Diggs getting a big contract at this stage of the season.  I hope Ballard signs one before camp.  I like the idea of a player coming in and getting acclimated early rather than later.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Adams signed for only 1.1m.  He was scheduled to make 17.5m before his release.  Hard for me to see Simmons or Diggs getting a big contract at this stage of the season.  I hope Ballard signs one before camp.  I like the idea of a player coming in and getting acclimated early rather than later.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Agreed. My mindset is it can’t hurt to add a veteran presence back there at FS in case of injury or just bad play from other guys. And if it’s only a 1 year 5 mil deal, there’s really no risk. 

• Thanks 1

I think Ballard  will make a move either a FS or or CB or both but I believe it will be once training camp starts and they get a better look at the guys they have. If they really feel they can improve I could see then signing one or the other and holding some money back in case on an injury during training camp. CB doesn't make these decisions in a vacuum and listens to the HC, DC and the position coaches before personnel decisions are made. Should know more soon!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I think Ballard  will make a move either a FS or or CB or both but I believe it will be once training camp starts and they get a better look at the guys they have. If they really feel they can improve I could see then signing one or the other and holding some money back in case on an injury during training camp. CB doesn't make these decisions in a vacuum and listens to the HC, DC and the position coaches before personnel decisions are made. Should know more soon!

100% agree.  To add, for those out there worried about the youth of our corners and FS and if they will perform…here are some vets still unsigned out there:

Justin Simmons 

Xavien Howard 
Patrick Peterson 
Stephon Gilmore 
Quandre Diggs
Micah Hyde 
Adoree’ Jackson 
Eddie Jackson 
J.C. Jackson 
Tracy Walker

So no need to worry right now.  We have options to fill holes.  And I don’t think other teams are rushing to sign these guys.  Simmons is the only one I’d want us to sign now.  Also, plenty of vet CBs who could fill in and play immediately if needed.

i will say, I agree with those who’d want to sign people now.  But it’s not my money and not my team.  Nor are we in those rooms with the coaches.  So all we can do is hope for the best.  At this point, if Shane wanted someone, I doubt Ballard wouldn’t go get them or try to.  So maybe Shane is in on this “let’s see what we have” train also.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2024 at 3:17 PM, Superman said:

He basically said they aren't going to sign any vets, unless something changes. Daniel Scott got hurt, and they still didn't sign someone.

And even if I really wanted them to sign someone, it wouldn't be Jamal Adams. Simmons or Diggs would be my two choices, and they're both still available, for now. But it probably doesn't matter, because the Colts aren't looking to sign anyone.

I agree.

• Like 1