Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Practice Squad

I am always impressed with the knowledge on this forum so I thought I would ask a question about the practice squad as opposed to trying to figure it out on my own.

We have a UDFA Dalton Tucker on the OL (Guard Tackle) Currently listed as 3rd team behind Q and Stills. He is my nephew-in-law and a great young man. He is a good OL with a lot of flexibility or otherwise the Colts would not have signed him. However would be a very long shot to make the team at this time due to the returning player and two OL draft picks.  The question is how many OL do we normally keep on the Practice Squad and what are the criteria? In all my years of following the Colts have just not paid attention to the details. If it came down to Stills or Dalton for the PS is Stills or Pinter eligible and would you put a more veteran player on the PS or would you prefer a younger player assuming you thought he could develop? Pay-wise do all PS players get the same? I also understand that PS players attend home games on the sidelines and practice with the team since they are designated as practice squad. Any information is appreciated as I will be following this aspect a lot closer this fall.

• Like 5

The criteria is the Colts want to keep you but you’re a fringe player. It all comes down to how much the Colts like your nephew. He could surprise and if he does they may not want to put him on the PS out of fear of losing him to another team. The good thing is the Colts love their oline players, and will keep lower level draft picks/UDFA lineman over other positions. There’s quite a few later round guys the colts have kept on that have shown to be pretty good level guys with bright futures. 

there’s not really any criteria for being signed to the PS other than they want to see how much better a guy can get over there. 

most of the time, an older guy is either ineligible for the PS because of how many games he’s started, or it’s not worth it because you see what the guy is over what he can become (as he’s been in the league a while).

odds are the younger guy gets signed to the ps over the older guy. 

• Like 2

They liked him well enough to visit with him multiple times and then make him a priority free agent after the draft. 

He will have to perform well to unseat the two draftees for a roster spot BUT this team doesn’t usually make roster choices purely based on draft position. 

• Like 1

I would also say that part of the criteria for being put on the practice squad is: how much need is there for the Colts to have someone in that position on the practice squad?  If they have 10 O-linemen fully healthy, starters and backups, then there's little need for a backup swing tackle on the practice squad.  But if they have a rash of injuries, then the need is greater.

Never underestimate the role of the practice squad for preparing the team for an upcoming game. This give developmental players the opportunity to think like the opponent and learn the nuances of the game.

On 6/29/2024 at 9:43 AM, JMichael557 said:

I am always impressed with the knowledge on this forum so I thought I would ask a question about the practice squad as opposed to trying to figure it out on my own.

We have a UDFA Dalton Tucker on the OL (Guard Tackle) Currently listed as 3rd team behind Q and Stills. He is my nephew-in-law and a great young man. He is a good OL with a lot of flexibility or otherwise the Colts would not have signed him. However would be a very long shot to make the team at this time due to the returning player and two OL draft picks.  The question is how many OL do we normally keep on the Practice Squad and what are the criteria? In all my years of following the Colts have just not paid attention to the details. If it came down to Stills or Dalton for the PS is Stills or Pinter eligible and would you put a more veteran player on the PS or would you prefer a younger player assuming you thought he could develop? Pay-wise do all PS players get the same? I also understand that PS players attend home games on the sidelines and practice with the team since they are designated as practice squad. Any information is appreciated as I will be following this aspect a lot closer this fall.

The biggest thing your nephew can do for now is: stay healthy, keep training and prepare for training camp. Availability is one of the most important aspects for an NFL player. 

• Like 1

Teams can never have enough O linemen it is the least quality depth in the sport, it shows up in Spring leagues as there simply isnt enough depth to go around.  I think if he stays healthy very good chance he can make PS

On 6/29/2024 at 6:43 AM, JMichael557 said:

Pretty much every position group shows up on the practice squad.  The team likes to have a player available at each group to cover for an unexpected rash of injuries. 

Some of the groups have at least two players and I think O-line is usually one of those.

Thanks for posting and letting us know.

Hopefully he can stay healthy, impress the coaches, and see some action on Sundays.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 9:49 AM, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

The criteria is the Colts want to keep you but you’re a fringe player. It all comes down to how much the Colts like your nephew. He could surprise and if he does they may not want to put him on the PS out of fear of losing him to another team. The good thing is the Colts love their oline players, and will keep lower level draft picks/UDFA lineman over other positions. There’s quite a few later round guys the colts have kept on that have shown to be pretty good level guys with bright futures. 

there’s not really any criteria for being signed to the PS other than they want to see how much better a guy can get over there. 

most of the time, an older guy is either ineligible for the PS because of how many games he’s started, or it’s not worth it because you see what the guy is over what he can become (as he’s been in the league a while).

odds are the younger guy gets signed to the ps over the older guy. 

One correction here.  The NFL has loosened the restrictions on veterans.  Six of the players have zero restrictions on how many NFL games a player has accrued. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

With the injury to French that may open up an extra roster spot for the Colts on the oline,  it will still be hard.  I think they have four virtual locks behind the five starters in the Pinter, Freeland, and the two draft picks this year but you never know.

We have a UDFA Dalton Tucker on the OL (Guard Tackle) Currently listed as 3rd team behind Q and Stills. He is my nephew-in-law and a great young man.

Looks like your nephew-in-law not only can make the practice squad, but he has a chance to make the team.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Looks like your nephew-in-law not only can make the practice squad, but he has a chance to make the team.

It’s possible, at least for the first week.  Sometimes if a player is on the fringe and the team knows he has a lot potential they’ll put him on the opening day 53.  They know if they don’t, there’s a good chance someone will claim him.

After rosters are set, they may then put that player on the PS because there’s less chance that another team, who also just set their roster, will claim him since he has to go on their 53 for a few weeks.  

I won’t be surprised if the Colts keep 5 TEs because they know that any one of them would be claimed, and after the first week put one on the PS.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

It’s possible, at least for the first week.  Sometimes if a player is on the fringe and the team knows he has a lot potential they’ll put him on the opening day 53.  They know if they don’t, there’s a good chance someone will claim him.

After rosters are set, they may then put that player on the PS because there’s less chance that another team, who also just set their roster, will claim him since he has to go on their 53 for a few weeks. 

That is a really good point. I was hoping the Vikings could claim him.:)

Thanks for all the comments. Right now he has been scoring at the 2nd highest rate for OL at least using PPF. They need to keep a swing guard so it will probably come down to him and  Pinter. The question becomes do you keep 3 centers and throw one in at guard it someone gets injured or do you keep the better pure backup guard? 

For the  Viking fan, I hope that Nester gets picked up by the Colts.                      

• Like 2

Tackles have a difficult time staying healthy in Indianapolis and all I can tell you about the Colts is they're loyal to their guys even if they ended up releasing Dalton Tucker before the season and don't sign him to the PS right away it's not the end of the world for him in this city. If he showed them enough to take a liking to him they will not hesitate to pick up the phone and offer him a spot once the injuries begin to hit the OL.

If he's willing and capable of playing multiple spots on the line the Colts staff will not hesitate to bring him back. They love high-character players who can play multiple positions and work hard. Chris Ballard loves those blue-collared kids coming out of college.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2024 at 10:23 AM, JMichael557 said:

Thanks for all the comments. Right now he has been scoring at the 2nd highest rate for OL at least using PPF. They need to keep a swing guard so it will probably come down to him and  Pinter. The question becomes do you keep 3 centers and throw one in at guard it someone gets injured or do you keep the better pure backup guard? 

For the  Viking fan, I hope that Nester gets picked up by the Colts.                      

Nester was one of our cuts. We would like to get him back on the practice squad. It seems that other teams are interested in claiming him.

• Like 1

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-roster-moves-sign-11-players-practice-squad

Indianapolis – The Indianapolis Colts today signed the following 11 players to the practice squad:

LB Austin Ajiake

LB Liam Anderson

DE Genard Avery

QB Jason Bean

S Marcel Dabo

RB Evan Hull

CB Chris Lammons

WR D.J. Montgomery

CB Jaylin Simpson

CB Ameer Speed

WR Laquon Treadwell

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Enough Tucker. He can replace Q in 3 years when he goes off to lay on his pile of cash 

This is the best roster and talented PS since our last SB.

A huge difference is we don't have 2 pushover teams in our division to flatten our record with.

I'm particularly glad to have these guys here now on our PS.

Avery 

Hull

Lammons

Moore 

Treadwell

I believe if called upon they could make big plays for us.

Developing Bean, Simpson and Speed is good stuff also.

Steichen has me believing he is a Bill Walsh type. And I believe he now has the talent, the coaching staff to develop the precision and execution offense we have dreamed of.

Where we are at in December I believe will be something special. 

History lesson, the Goat Mr. MVP Manning went 6-10 in his 4th season. 

Seasons are long, Bumps are Normal, even with the Greatest of All-time. Didn't Brady and Belicheck go ten years between SB wins?

Watch a lot of plays in frame by frame so you can actually SEE more of whats happening.

Many here post like you are half watching the game and just listening to the critical commentors viewpoints. 

Balls that go off the fingertips are drops. Pure Garbage! Not with these sticky gloves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is the right move.  You don’t over react and cut Gay right now like some wanted but now you have insurance should Gay’s struggles continue.

Is it normal to keep a Kicker on the PS? 

• Like 1

https://www.colts.com/news/practice-squad-titus-leo-mctelvin-agim-signed-roster-moves-transactions

Colts sign 4 players to practice squad

Indianapolis – The Indianapolis Colts today signed defensive tackle McTelvin Agim, defensive end Titus Leo, tight end Sean McKeon and guard Atonio Mafi to the practice squad.

Agim, 6-3, 300 pounds, re-joins Indianapolis after spending time with the team from 2022-23. He has played in 18 career games in his time with the Houston Texans (2023-24), Colts (2022-23) and Denver Broncos (2020-21). Agim has compiled 14 tackles (four solo), 1.0 tackle for loss, 1.5 sacks and two passes defensed. He was originally selected by Denver in the third round (95th overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft out of Arkansas. His last name is pronounced UH-geem.

Leo, 6-3, 245 pounds, participated in the Colts' 2024 offseason program and training camp. As a rookie in 2023, he spent the entire season on the team's Injured Reserve list. Leo was originally selected by Indianapolis in the sixth round (211th overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft. Collegiately, he saw action in 38 career games (33 starts) at Wagner (2018-22) and totaled 234 tackles (140 solo), 40.0 tackles for loss, 13.0 sacks, four passes defensed, one interception, six forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and three blocked extra points. Leo was named NEC Defensive Player of the Year two times (2020-21), First Team All-NEC three times (2020-22) and earned FCS First Team All-America recognition (2021).

McKeon, 6-5, 255 pounds, most recently participated in the Detroit Lions' 2024 offseason program and training camp. He played in 45 games (three starts) in four seasons (2020-23) with the Dallas Cowboys and caught six passes for 38 yards and one touchdown. McKeon also registered four special teams tackles. He saw action in three postseason contests and tallied two special teams stops. McKeon was originally signed by the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent on April 27, 2020, out of Michigan. His last name is pronounced muh-CUE-in.

Mafi, 6-3, 330 pounds, participated in the New England Patriots' 2024 offseason program and training camp. As a rookie in 2023, he played in all 17 games (five starts at left guard) for the Patriots. Mafi was originally selected by New England in the fifth round (144th overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft out of UCLA. His last name is pronounced MA-fee.

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.colts.com/news/practice-squad-titus-leo-mctelvin-agim-signed-roster-moves-transactions

Colts sign 4 players to practice squad

Indianapolis – The Indianapolis Colts today signed defensive tackle McTelvin Agim, defensive end Titus Leo, tight end Sean McKeon and guard Atonio Mafi to the practice squad.

Agim, 6-3, 300 pounds, re-joins Indianapolis after spending time with the team from 2022-23. He has played in 18 career games in his time with the Houston Texans (2023-24), Colts (2022-23) and Denver Broncos (2020-21). Agim has compiled 14 tackles (four solo), 1.0 tackle for loss, 1.5 sacks and two passes defensed. He was originally selected by Denver in the third round (95th overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft out of Arkansas. His last name is pronounced UH-geem.

Leo, 6-3, 245 pounds, participated in the Colts' 2024 offseason program and training camp. As a rookie in 2023, he spent the entire season on the team's Injured Reserve list. Leo was originally selected by Indianapolis in the sixth round (211th overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft. Collegiately, he saw action in 38 career games (33 starts) at Wagner (2018-22) and totaled 234 tackles (140 solo), 40.0 tackles for loss, 13.0 sacks, four passes defensed, one interception, six forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and three blocked extra points. Leo was named NEC Defensive Player of the Year two times (2020-21), First Team All-NEC three times (2020-22) and earned FCS First Team All-America recognition (2021).

McKeon, 6-5, 255 pounds, most recently participated in the Detroit Lions' 2024 offseason program and training camp. He played in 45 games (three starts) in four seasons (2020-23) with the Dallas Cowboys and caught six passes for 38 yards and one touchdown. McKeon also registered four special teams tackles. He saw action in three postseason contests and tallied two special teams stops. McKeon was originally signed by the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent on April 27, 2020, out of Michigan. His last name is pronounced muh-CUE-in.

Mafi, 6-3, 330 pounds, participated in the New England Patriots' 2024 offseason program and training camp. As a rookie in 2023, he played in all 17 games (five starts at left guard) for the Patriots. Mafi was originally selected by New England in the fifth round (144th overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft out of UCLA. His last name is pronounced MA-fee.

Glad to see Leo back! I think he can be something at some point 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Any of you know Zavier Scott who was on the Colts PS last year? Was he any good?

Scott is interesting. Was kind of a hybrid RB/WR player. 

Can catch, is fast and powerful. Hits a top speed and can maintain it. 

Route running needs work, and doesn’t always have natural instincts for feeling openings. 

He’s a good pickup for the Vikings. I hope he can succeed there.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:43 PM, NFLfan said:

Any of you know Zavier Scott who was on the Colts PS last year? Was he any good?

He had several nice runs this preseason.  We wanted to keep on the 53 but we couldnt.

Nice back, tough runner and agile. 

• Thanks 1