Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Update: AD Mitchell signed

atapcl

Wondering why AD Mitchell is the only remaining rookie draft pick still unsigned.

Are the Colts trying to get a look at another receiver they don’t want to cut right now or is Mitchell holding out?

1 minute ago, atapcl said:

Wondering why AD Mitchell is the only remaining rookie draft pick still unsigned.

Are the Colts trying to get a look at another receiver they don’t want to cut right now or is Mitchell holding out?

All we can hope is that it’s not a character issue! It’s ridiculous to have this conversation because he slotted in where he was chosen. There’s not a lot of play except upfront money. I guess we’ll see how this plays out.

41 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

All we can hope is that it’s not a character issue! It’s ridiculous to have this conversation because he slotted in where he was chosen. There’s not a lot of play except upfront money. I guess we’ll see how this plays out.

A guy who’s done absolutely nothing is unsigned. 😂

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Why would it have anything to do with character?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would it have anything to do with character?

It may not but there is a reason a lot of teams wouldnt choose him so he may be being a bit difficult on this contract. He was ticked off where he was chosen so he may be unreasonable. I am not saying this is the case but just a thought 

• Like 1

I'll just say this, if there was a bet in Vegas that you could pick the last person to sign their rookie contract with the Colts this year, I'm sure AD Mitchell would have been far and away the favorite. He would have been my guess. He didn't show much emotion when we drafted him, and I'm guessing he's still upset he fell to the 2nd round. Hope he's not going to be petty and hold out. 

• Like 2

My lord, talk about premature concern over something.

It isn't even June yet and he is at OTAs. Plus there has been nothing but glowing reviews of him and his approach so far. 

Come back to me if we get to July and this is still a topic.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

This thread is two months early.

No ... I'm sure this is bad character . Oh my God , why did we ever draft this malcontent ?

The link below exhibits the fact that only 10 of the 22 2nd round picks have signed as we speak. The 5 picks above him and the 9 picks below him have not signed. This is very worrisome .

https://www.footballdb.com/transactions/draft-signings.html

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I'll just say this, if there was a bet in Vegas that you could pick the last person to sign their rookie contract with the Colts this year, I'm sure AD Mitchell would have been far and away the favorite. He would have been my guess. He didn't show much emotion when we drafted him, and I'm guessing he's still upset he fell to the 2nd round. Hope he's not going to be petty and hold out. 

Do you think it's too late to attempt to trade him ?

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

A guy who’s done absolutely nothing is unsigned. 😂

How about the other 21 unsigned 2nd round picks ? Have they done "something ?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atapcl said:

Oh my aching butt...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

171 of 257 draft picks signed

Including 31 % of the second round. Must have been a lot of bad character , malcontents taken in round 2 ?

• Like 2

It will get done.  He’s slotted so there is only so much they can negotiate on.  Like someone else said the hold up is normally offset language.  Also, since he’s slotted and this doesn’t have to get done for two months it’s probably low priority for Ballard if AD is truly trying to push back on something.  

Could be something to do with the offset language in reference to his diabetes? 

But it's almost always a nothing burger that gets done. I am pretty sure Shaq didn't sign his rookie contract til late in the summer. 

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

:facepalm:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be added in reference to anything medical.

Offsets could be part of what's being negotiated. 

More than that, I think the sticking point in this range of the draft is overall guaranteed money. From the top of the second round to the middle, the difference in overall guarantees has been slightly growing in recent years, as early second round guys are getting more guaranteed. 

For example, in 2021, the #33 pick was Tyson Campbell, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1&2 salary, and part of his Year 3 salary. The #52 pick that year was Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1&2 salary. In 2023, the #33 pick was Will Levis, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1-3 salary, and part of his Year 4 salary. The #52 pick was Zach Charbonnet, and his guarantees were the same as the guy in 2021 -- signing bonus +Year 1&2 salary. So there's been a lift at the top of the second round, but it has not extended to the middle of the round. Yet.

(A slight monkey wrench last year is that the Dolphins lost their first round pick for tampering, so the #33 pick in 2023 was actually the second pick of the second round, not the first pick of the second round. That would have been #32, Joey Porter Jr, who also got guaranteed money into Year 4.)

Plus, as more gets guaranteed in this range, the offset discussion becomes more important. No one cares about offsets when only Year 1 is guaranteed. As those guarantees go into Year 3 or 4, now we need to talk about offset language. Especially since fourth year players are not subject to waivers.

So I think the middle of the second round is where there's a big sticking point right now. In 2011, this was more seen at the end of the first round (which is why Anthony Castonzo's negotiations went a few days into training camp). It keeps moving back gradually, but this explains why only 11/32 second round picks are signed so far. As the dominoes fall, everyone kind of finds their level, and then the next year's class tries to push the guarantees a little bit further. By the end of the decade, the entire second round might be getting the first three years fully guaranteed, with no offset language.

By the way, there are 20 unsigned first rounders (including eight of the top ten), and 21 unsigned second rounders (including the five players who went right before AD Mitchell, and the eight players who went right after him). So everyone should buckle up, because there's a lot of work to be done league-wide, and for the most part it has nothing to do with the individual players involved.

(Sorry this went so long, I started getting carried away.)

Great explanation, Supe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dw49 said:

No ... I'm sure this is bad character . Oh my God , why did we ever draft this malcontent ?

The link below exhibits the fact that only 10 of the 22 2nd round picks have signed as we speak. The 5 picks above him and the 9 picks below him have not signed. This is very worrisome .

https://www.footballdb.com/transactions/draft-signings.html

Sarcasm doesn’t always play well in black and white text.   Just saying.  

7 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

It may not but there is a reason a lot of teams wouldnt choose him so he may be being a bit difficult on this contract. He was ticked off where he was chosen so he may be unreasonable. I am not saying this is the case but just a thought 

it is a thought - a bad one but still thought. 

• Like 1

For me, non-issue, especially given the fact that so many other draft picks are still unsigned 

But, let’s say hypothetically, that he and his agent are being very “difficult” and pushing back on offsets or whatever scraps that can be negotiated.   What would be wrong with that?   The NFL tells these young men what team they will play for, and how much they will make the first 4 years.   It’s just rational to negotiate for any remaining advantage possible. 

He’s * at being picked after so many other receivers?   Good!  He is a professional football player   Being competitive and believing in your own talent sounds like a requirement for the job 

He’s at the OTA’s.   And I’ve see nothing since we drafted him to suggest he has any character issues. 

• Like 1