Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Adonai Mitchell WR Texas (Merged)

44 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He was the number 2 recruit coming out of highschool and has been billed as the “best QB of all the Mannings”  but so far he’s not been able to become a starter over some questionable QBs at Texas. 

I think he’s been hyped as the “most athletic” not necessarily the best of the group. 

He’s got some work to do. In a recent spring game his arm strength looked far better than it had and he was quick and decisive. I don’t think he will start over Ewers this year but if he gets an opportunity he could shine. 

I don’t see him being a top pick in the NFL just yet. Needs to get more size while in college. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I haven't been paying any attention. Is Arch Manning actually hyped? Or are people just keeping an eye on him because he's a Manning? 

Highly rated recruit and just tore up their spring game. Post spring game his hype has reached a new level. Could easily see him being a top 5 pick after starting for one year

Here's another positive indication about Mitchell. He seems to have great relationship with his WR coach at Texas and this is their call after he got drafted by the Colts. You aren't getting that type of personal relationship if the guy was a bad worker or had bad attitude with coaches or something of the sort. It seems like his coach genuinely cares about him and wants the best for him and seems like AD reciprocates with a lot of respect for the guy that helped him get where he is now.

So yeah... I guess at this point I will trust Ballard and assume it wasn't grandstanding just to make ourselves look better. 

Lets hope he continues to work hard and lets hope he proves all the naysayers wrong. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

I think he’s been hyped as the “most athletic” not necessarily the best of the group. 

He’s got some work to do. In a recent spring game his arm strength looked far better than it had and he was quick and decisive. I don’t think he will start over Ewers this year but if he gets an opportunity he could shine. 

I don’t see him being a top pick in the NFL just yet. Needs to get more size while in college. 

If he can’t beat our Ewers, I don’t see him making the nfl. Ewers is not that good at all

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If he can’t beat our Ewers, I don’t see him making the nfl. Ewers is not that good at all

I don't like Ewers as a pro prospect, but he actually had a productive season. Texas went 12-2 and made the CFP. Teams competing at that level don't make QB changes unless they really have to, and Texas didn't. And when they do, they don't turn to a true freshman who's already carrying the burden of living up to the Manning name. 

I don't know anything about Arch Manning, I haven't paid attention to him, have never watched him play, and I hold no opinion about how talented he is or how good he can be. But I don't know if him not beating out Ewers in 2023 means anything. It will be interesting to see what happens this season, though.

Speaking of potentially overhyped freshman QBs, in 2019, Kedon Slovis was the next big thing at USC. He set records, won Pac 12 Rookie of the Year, etc. Things started to backslide for various reasons, including Covid, USC changed coaches, the new coach brought in Caleb Williams, Slovis has since transferred twice, and just went undrafted. Now he's signed with the Colts, with a nice guaranteed for a UDFA. I don't expect anything to happen with him at the Colts, but at least we know there's some talent there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't like Ewers as a pro prospect, but he actually had a productive season. Texas went 12-2 and made the CFP. Teams competing at that level don't make QB changes unless they really have to, and Texas didn't. And when they do, they don't turn to a true freshman who's already carrying the burden of living up to the Manning name. 

I don't know anything about Arch Manning, I haven't paid attention to him, have never watched him play, and I hold no opinion about how talented he is or how good he can be. But I don't know if him not beating out Ewers in 2023 means anything. It will be interesting to see what happens this season, though.

Speaking of potentially overhyped freshman QBs, in 2019, Kedon Slovis was the next big thing at USC. He set records, won Pac 12 Rookie of the Year, etc. Things started to backslide for various reasons, including Covid, USC changed coaches, the new coach brought in Caleb Williams, Slovis has since transferred twice, and just went undrafted. Now he's signed with the Colts, with a nice guaranteed for a UDFA. I don't expect anything to happen with him at the Colts, but at least we know there's some talent there.

Yeah I’ve not followed arch too much. Just every now and again. I think he’s two years minimum from the draft if he were to suddenly rise to fame. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's another positive indication about Mitchell. He seems to have great relationship with his WR coach at Texas and this is their call after he got drafted by the Colts. You aren't getting that type of personal relationship if the guy was a bad worker or had bad attitude with coaches or something of the sort. It seems like his coach genuinely cares about him and wants the best for him and seems like AD reciprocates with a lot of respect for the guy that helped him get where he is now.

So yeah... I guess at this point I will trust Ballard and assume it wasn't grandstanding just to make ourselves look better. 

Lets hope he continues to work hard and lets hope he proves all the naysayers wrong. 

Mitchell is going to need watching after by grown-ups. He had a low level response to where he was drafted. And Ballard passing on him tells me AD has issues and they are known in the community. 

I believe he will have great support from teammates and coaches so hopefully his friends and family help him do things right.

Watching his moves taking guys deep looks very mature and Exciting. Oh ya!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Mitchell is going to need watching after by grown-ups. He had a low level response to where he was drafted.

He wears his emotions on his sleeves, so the media catching him at a raw moment, I can deal with that. Like his Texas coach said, if he keeps that chip on his shoulder and uses it to do great things, no one will care. 

Ask Cowboys fans about Dez Bryant, ask Vikings fans about Randy Moss, ask 49ers and Eagles fans about TO, ask Bills fans about Stefon Diggs, these alphas may not be the most polished in hiding their emotions and frustrations but come game time, they come ready to ball. I hope AD is the same way, and that Reggie and the coaches get the most out of him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He wears his emotions on his sleeves, so the media catching him at a raw moment, I can deal with that. Like his Texas coach said, if he keeps that chip on his shoulder and uses it to do great things, no one will care. 

Ask Cowboys fans about Dez Bryant, ask Vikings fans about Randy Moss, ask 49ers and Eagles fans about TO, ask Bills fans about Stefon Diggs, these alphas may not be the most polished in hiding their emotions and frustrations but come game time, they come ready to ball. I hope AD is the same way, and that Reggie and the coaches get the most out of him.

For some reason, I really trust Reggie on this. Several WRs playing with us during and after the manning Era credited themselves adapting to being pros by watching Reggie. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Perfect example is Joe Burrow, who sat the bench behind JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins. 

16 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Mitchell is going to need watching after by grown-ups. He had a low level response to where he was drafted. And Ballard passing on him tells me AD has issues and they are known in the community. 

I think that’s because he fell so far.  He went from being a 1st rounder to being selected in the 2nd round.  Many rankings had him as either the 4th or 5th best WR behind the big 3.  And big part of it is what was being said about him.  Who knows if what was said is true or not.

i think since we chose him we’re ok lol.  It’s him vs the league, and I honestly love it.  Means he’s motivated.  That hunger should translate well into hustle and grind.  And if he doesn’t start right away, I hope he takes it as a sign to get better,  not a sign of slight.

• Like 1

Im not certain if there will even be any room for Pierce bc the 4th and 5th receivers need to have special teams ability. I think AD will show enough to gain the Colts confidence. You know Dulin will be there. So from there you're competing with Gould and whoever else. You know Gould plays special teams.  Going to be interesting what they have in mind.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im not certain if there will even be any room for Pierce bc the 4th and 5th receivers need to have special teams ability. I think AD will show enough to gain the Colts confidence. You know Dulin will be there. So from there you're competing with Gould and whoever else. You know Gould plays special teams.  Going to be interesting what they have in mind.

There will be. Mitchell is going to have to earn that spot. Pierce had the highest snaps of any WR in the nfl last season. . Colts will be keeping 6 WR. So that’s Dulin and Gould for those special teams.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There will be. Mitchell is going to have to earn that spot. Pierce had the highest snaps of any WR in the nfl last season. . Colts will be keeping 6 WR. So that’s Dulin and Gould for those special teams.

Mitchell won't have to move mountains. All he will have to do is show the same explosiveness we see on the film and make plays enough for them to be willing to deal with the rough spots. Colts may keep six but remember we have a lot of tight ends. Pierce played a lot of snaps but who did we have to challenge him any way? He pretty much had to play.  If AD looks better and we go with him then that probably is a minus for Pierce. Gould has some edge bc of special teams. Pierce probably will be here but he will definitely have to compete. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Mitchell won't have to move mountains. All he will have to do is show the same explosiveness we see on the film and make plays enough for them to be willing to deal with the rough spots. Colts may keep six but remember we have a lot of tight ends. Pierce played a lot of snaps but who did we have to challenge him any way? He pretty much had to play.  If AD looks better and we go with him then that probably is a minus for Pierce. Gould has some edge bc of special teams. Pierce probably will be here but he will definitely have to compete. 

You certainly don't just give up on Pierce. More speed is always good. I really hope they all have fewer snaps as a result. Keeping guys fresh here is as important as any other position. Last year, if we were without Pittman for a game, it was a big deal. I hope we can handle that between all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Steichen isn’t just going to give him the job. There is also room for both. Pierce was a huge part in the blocking game last season. Pierce doesn’t need every snap like last season. So if he can split with Mitchell it will probably help both their games. But Mitchell will have to prove he is willing to block. I think we need to slow down on Mitchell until we see him play.

• Like 2

One of the issues seen with Mitchell is that he takes plays off when he isn't getting the ball. If he is to take Pierces role outright, he will need to run those deep routes every time like he is. Pierce didn't just have to most snaps he also ran the most yards. Mitchell will need to do that and run every route like the play is meant to get him the ball.

I think Pierce is safe to be a starter for at least the beginning portion of the season just due to his experience in the system and NFL. We have a good problem at WR tho.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KB said:

One of the issues seen with Mitchell is that he takes plays off when he isn't getting the ball. If he is to take Pierces role outright, he will need to run those deep routes every time like he is. Pierce didn't just have to most snaps he also ran the most yards. Mitchell will need to do that and run every route like the play is meant to get him the ball.

I think Pierce is safe to be a starter for at least the beginning portion of the season just due to his experience in the system and NFL. We have a good problem at WR tho.

The red zone is where they will start him with package plays and then ease him in between the 20s as the season goes along. But for now, yes, Pierce will be ahead of him till AD can show he warrants more play time. 

• Like 2

Here's a perspective on College WRs having had less than 2 career YPRR. Adonai Mitchell is one of them. 

It's a long thread, so peruse all the tweets under. This year might be an exception (as explained in the Twitter thread) because of the COVID shortened high school and freshman years for many of the rookies. 

41 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Here's a perspective on College WRs having had less than 2 career YPRR. Adonai Mitchell is one of them. 

It's a long thread, so peruse all the tweets under. This year might be an exception (as explained in the Twitter thread) because of the COVID shortened high school and freshman years for many of the rookies. 

Like every other metric, it also has to be contextualized.

There was a reason why they were saying "AD separates well at the top of his routes" because his routes were shallow and hence he would be a great red zone weapon. That will also come in handy when blitzes or protection issues happen. 

But if the first 3 were appropriately drafted, and the others over drafted, good chance AD was appropriately drafted. :) 

On 4/30/2024 at 4:39 PM, csmopar said:

Mannings are playing the long game. When he is ready, he will start. These qbs are coming out to fast and not enough playing time in college.  He will probably play 4 years of college and be the number 1 pick when he comes out.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Pierce and AD will be on the field  together more  than people think. If nothing else, they are going to clear out the safeties for AD and JT. Have them running deep routes and the inside will be open for Pittman and for JT to run crazy once he gets to the 2nd level. AR can take off for some runs and it is going to force the safeties to have to play up and then boom!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Agreed. I think as a draft, it is going go down as unremarkable. I think the OT's will thrive at the next level but not sure bout the other positions. Even our draft pick at #15. For the best rush end to make it to 15  kind of says something.   High  rated rush ends are     top 5 pick as they are so highly coveted.  I could see the wrs and a couple of OTs picked before our guy. However, teams didnt pull the trigger on Latua. Still love the pick 

23 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

In that tweet thread , there was this....

3) Tougher target competition will negatively impact a WR's YPRR. Adonai Mitchell was competing for targets against Xavier Worthy (R1) and Ja'Tavion Sanders (R4)!

On 4/30/2024 at 7:25 PM, csmopar said:

For some reason, I really trust Reggie on this. Several WRs playing with us during and after the manning Era credited themselves adapting to being pros by watching Reggie. 

He is by far the most gifted receiver who has walked thru the Colts door in recent memory. We shall see what the future holds for AD.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 2:22 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Mannings are playing the long game. When he is ready, he will start. These qbs are coming out to fast and not enough playing time in college.  He will probably play 4 years of college and be the number 1 pick when he comes out.

Wait, so the Mannings get to decide when Arch becomes the starter?  Don't the coaches at Texas have some say in that too?

28 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

Wait, so the Mannings get to decide when Arch becomes the starter?  Don't the coaches at Texas have some say in that too?

Nope. They are playing the long game and being patient. He will eventually start based on his ability and Mannings will not get involved. They will let it take its natural course and he is most likely to talented to sit for more than 2 years.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nope. They are playing the long game and being patient. He will eventually start based on his ability and Mannings will not get involved. They will let it take its natural course and he is most likely to talented to sit for more than 2 years.

I asked 2 questions.  Was your response nope that the Mannings don't get to decide when Arch becomes the starter?  Or, nope the coaches at Texas don't have say in it?

4 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

I asked 2 questions.  Was your response nope that the Mannings don't get to decide when Arch becomes the starter?  Or, nope the coaches at Texas don't have say in it?

I think i said what i meant. I dont think the Mannings will not  become involved in anything relating to Archie starting. It will be up to the coaches and who performs best at the qb position. I expect him to start next year at the latest. They know eventually he will get his turn based on his talent and they are willing to just let it all work out. Payton and Eli have been through it all so they will just be supportive and be sure not to be seen as meddling in the process. Talent will win out and he will get his shot. I think that is why so many qbs flame out. They dont have the support system and parents are not willing to be patient. Its a long and hard road and the Mannings know how to navigate it. Plus, this kid is going to have the weight on his shoulders and expectations will be through the roof when he is under center.  Sitting for 2 years, fi that is what happens, could be the best thing for him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont think the Mannings will not  become involved in anything relating to Archie starting.

So the Mannings will get involved at some point?  I'm honestly just trying to make sense out of what you're trying to say.  

10 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

So the Mannings will get involved at some point?  I'm honestly just trying to make sense out of what you're trying to say.  

The only influence the Mannings have is their name and achievements in college and the NFL. There is pressure for the coaches to make the right decisions regarding Archie. The coaches know that there is a lot of pressure to handle this in the right manner. When he is ready, he will start and I really doubt the Mannings have the coaches on speed dial and are probably trying to stay at arm's length as they don't want to be the intrusive parents. Archie is talented enough to make his own way and I actually think they prefer him to just sit there and learn. Cause when he starts it is going to be crazy pressure and everyone from the coaches to his family knows he needs to be ready to take what will come at him.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think i said what i meant. I dont think the Mannings will not  become involved in anything relating to Archie starting. It will be up to the coaches and who performs best at the qb position. I expect him to start next year at the latest. They know eventually he will get his turn based on his talent and they are willing to just let it all work out. Payton and Eli have been through it all so they will just be supportive and be sure not to be seen as meddling in the process. Talent will win out and he will get his shot. I think that is why so many qbs flame out. They dont have the support system and parents are not willing to be patient. Its a long and hard road and the Mannings know how to navigate it. Plus, this kid is going to have the weight on his shoulders and expectations will be through the roof when he is under center.  Sitting for 2 years, fi that is what happens, could be the best thing for him.

I don't mean to single you out.   It happens at a ridiculous rate.   How do so many colts fans not know it's Peyton, not Payton.   Huge pet peeve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't mean to single you out.   It happens at a ridiculous rate.   How do so many colts fans not know it's Peyton, not Payton.   Huge pet peeve

I get it. I am horrible for getting names wrong lol. 

• Like 1

Before the draft, I saw a story on Mitchell where he was talking about why he transferred to Texas and how important his daughter was to him and how much he wanted her to feel him being close and a part of her life 

I don’t think it was Path to The Draft, but whatever it was got me really wanting to draft this guy

Came across more mature to me than most players I’ve seen.  

If he’s got a chip on his shoulder based on when he was drafted , I hope it fuels him 

Until he learns the process of being a professional football player and marketing his brand, I’m not going to be overly concerned about his post draft interviews.