Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I'd look at WR more for offense    I think we are good at TE      For the record I would not be upset with a Bowers pick.   Just think its a luxury pick 

I am all for a D player. If the top D players r gone at 15. I could live with Bowers as I think he is going to be special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I can 

I can too. And that will tell us everything we need to know about how the view him. It will tell us their feelings on the tight end room, and what direction they pick from there will tell us even more. 

but if they take him at 15, we won’t know much about what might have happened, as they will be landing someone they had rated highly and fell to them. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking if we can trade to 8 or 9 and draft Odunze , we should do it if the price is reasonable. The value chart shows giving up P 15 and P 46 is the perfect number. Probably won't do it and I would think 2025 2nd for a 2024 4th added to the deal would make it work . That of coarse would depend on Atlanta or Chicago wanting to move to 15 . Obviously , as we all know , it takes 2 to make a trade.

Maybe I am the one who will end up with egg on his face but I just don’t get why people think the Colts are actually going to draft an olineman with their first pick.  Nelson and Kelly returned to their pro-bowl playing status.  Raimann looks to be a very good young left tackle and the Colts have made it pretty clear they see Smith as one of the most underrated tackles in football.  They aren’t drafting a right guard in the first round, Nelson was exception, and even then Fries held his own at right guard last year.  They aren’t going to draft a guy who isn’t going to start next year either in the first round.  The starting oline is probably the least of their worries going into this draft.  

• Like 1

Happy Draft Day to the folks who are in Indiana! (And east coast) lol. If this actually happens today I don’t know what I would do. Pipe dream or not, I’m READY for this draft to start! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Happy Draft Day to the folks who are in Indiana! (And east coast) lol. If this actually happens today I don’t know what I would do. Pipe dream or not, I’m READY for this draft to start! 

I don't believe this would ever happen as the price would be much too steep. The only way this is even a remote possibility is if the Pats do not like Maye or McCarthy . Then this would also need the QB needy teams to feel the same as NE . The value of Maye , if he's a franchise QB is multiple firsts. IMO , you can't give up that for a WR

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe I am the one who will end up with egg on his face but I just don’t get why people think the Colts are actually going to draft an olineman with their first pick.  Nelson and Kelly returned to their pro-bowl playing status.  Raimann looks to be a very good young left tackle and the Colts have made it pretty clear they see Smith as one of the most underrated tackles in football.  They aren’t drafting a right guard in the first round, Nelson was exception, and even then Fries held his own at right guard last year.  They aren’t going to draft a guy who isn’t going to start next year either in the first round.  The starting oline is probably the least of their worries going into this draft.  

There’s been a lot of comments made by Ballard lately that they are always planning a few years out, while the coach is pushing for players that can help now. So it’s a balance. He’s made comments that the goal is to protect and provide weapons for AR. The talent at the top of the draft seems like there could be a couple really good offensive lineman falling down to us, with a run on receivers and skill players. I don’t necessarily see that, I think there could be a run on qbs, tackles, and pass rushers with the obvious 3 receivers before we pick. That could potentially push all corners, as well as Bowers down to 15. But say, both corners and Bowers go top 15, who does that push out? Most likely a talented tackle. They can either trade back or take the highest rated player on the board, which would provide swing tackle depth, and a plan for if Smith is injured/isnt re-signed following 2025. Some are speculating it might be best to move Smith to guard in that scenario. 

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I don't believe this would ever happen as the price would be much too steep. The only way this is even a remote possibility is if the Pats do not like Maye or McCarthy . Then this would also need the QB needy teams to feel the same as NE . The value of Maye , if he's a franchise QB is multiple firsts. IMO , you can't give up that for a WR

Surprisingly in “twitter land” it’s picking up steam lol. It’s the Wild West in there right now. On the .0000001% chance it happens I feel the fanbase would still be split. Some furious over compensation. Some over the moon to get Marvin’s son in Indy. 

As long as we don’t draft a OL in the first round I’ll be a happy camper. Hoping for Bowers, BTJ, Arnold in that order for who would (realistically) want. 

33 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I'm not in Indiana, but I am so ready for the draft. I should have taken the day off.

I would be surprised to see that trade. The pats have said they have not received serious offers to trade back. But that would be great to see Marvin Harrison's son as a Colt.

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm not in Indiana, but I am so ready for the draft. I should have taken the day off.

I would be surprised to see that trade. The pats have said they have not received serious offers to trade back. But that would be great to see Marvin Harrison's son as a Colt.

Absolutely! Have you heard the insane rumor that the Chargers might draft JJ and deal Herbert to the Vikings?? 

58 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

If this happen, look out Colts in 2024. It probably won't but I hope it does.

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If this happen, look out Colts in 2024. It probably won't but I hope it does.

Me and you both brother. Not giving up hope until he is officially picked lol. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Me and you both brother. Not giving up hope until he is officially picked lol. 

This would make us much better and talk about excitement, we really haven't been legit good since 2020 when Rivers surprisingly played good and Taylor was up and coming, + Leonard was a maniac back then. I have had tremendous patience with this team and Ballard. It's time to crap or get off the pot, being average gets old after a while. This fanbase is used to us making the playoffs every year, when it hasn't happened in 3 seasons, time to do something.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adubb84 said:

This goes against everything Ballard would do, however it would be something that Irsay would love to do as he is a romantic. Probability is very very low though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adubb84 said:

Absolutely! Have you heard the insane rumor that the Chargers might draft JJ and deal Herbert to the Vikings?? 

No, but I would love that! Is that true? Where did you hear that? I don't think that will happen. I heard that trading Herbert would result in a huge dead cap hit for the Chargers, that would make it nearly impossible to keep or sign other players.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

No, but I would love that! Is that true? Where did you hear that? I don't think that will happen. I heard that trading Herbert would result in a huge dead cap hit for the Chargers, that would make it nearly impossible to keep or sign other players.

Yeah it's not happening.

Even if a deal was worked out for it to happen after June 1st, the Chargers would save $6m this year, but have like a $95m dead cap hit next season.

If traded today on the draft, the Chargers would have a:

2024 Dead Cap: $108,502,700

2024 Savings: $-89,157,025

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Ok? And did that not lead to a full healthy successful season or not? After years of abuse, how is that Ballard and Frank figured it out but Grigson couldn’t? 

I'm confused as to why what Grigson couldn't figure out has to do with how Ballard might feel about providing AR oline help with a trade down from 15.   Its not like Ballard hasn't drafted olinemen before when the major injuries to his starting QB were not caused by protection issues. 

But have a nice day and enjoy the draft.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm confused as to why what Grigson couldn't figure out has to do with how Ballard might feel about providing AR oline help with a trade down from 15.   Its not like Ballard hasn't drafted olinemen before when the major injuries to his starting QB were not caused by protection issues. 

But have a nice day and enjoy the draft.

for somebody who didn’t want to argue with it and claims to have written a finality on it, you sure won’t let it go Doug… 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Just a friendly reminder to everybody who will be singing Ballards praises after tonight and tomorrow. He’s been here 9 years and hasn’t won a crap division once. 

Thanks for the thoughtful insight.  :applause:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Just a friendly reminder to everybody who will be singing Ballards praises after tonight and tomorrow. He’s been here 9 years and hasn’t won a crap division once. 

You’ve won how many division titles as a GM? Not counting Madden?

7 hours ago, adubb84 said:

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

20 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

He hasn't been here 9 years

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dw49 said:

Agreed.  Just because they're "in talks" doesn't mean they are making the arrangements.  "In talks" could actually mean something like this:

Ballard -- So, what would it take for us to move up to your #3 spot?

Patriots -- All of your picks this year, your first round picks for the next three years, your car, your house, and your firstborn child.

Ballard -- Right.  I'll get back to you.

58 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah it's not happening.

Even if a deal was worked out for it to happen after June 1st, the Chargers would save $6m this year, but have like a $95m dead cap hit next season.

If traded today on the draft, the Chargers would have a:

2024 Dead Cap: $108,502,700

2024 Savings: $-89,157,025

I know. Two to so months ago, Vikings fans discussed the impact of trading Herbert; we all agreed that logistically it would not work for the Chargers.

I would have loved it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

for somebody who didn’t want to argue with it and claims to have written a finality on it, you sure won’t let it go Doug… 

Argue about Grigson?  No, unlike you, I never did.  If you keep misrepresenting my intent, then I may have to keep correcting you. The "it" you seem to be referring to is something I let go before you even raised it.

In this 2024 draft, I'm interested if you (or anybody) think's Ballard's past history of improving the oline when his franchise QBs major injuries were not caused by oline protection issues...aka, he just wants a better oline for a Qb who was injured... supports a plausible theory that he could trade down from 15 to select an OT?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I know. Two to so months ago, Vikings fans discussed the impact of trading Herbert; we all agreed that logistically it would not work for the Chargers.

I would have loved it.

Outside of that, I could've seen Harbaugh doing something like that.

Hey you never know? The Broncos took an $85m(something like that) dead cap hit to shed Wilson for no compensation.

Would the Chargers actually give it a thought if they could get #11,#23 and 2025 1st to do it?

Maybe?

Vikings would have to draft for Chargers though and trade made official after June 1st, to be able to make it happen though.

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

We should all live in negativity all the time tbh

• Like 1

How does anyone believe the Bears will draft a WR at 9? They have Allen, Moore, and Kmet for receiving targets. Its mind-blowing to think the Bears would go WR. There's not a chance they will do that.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Outside of that, I could've seen Harbaugh doing something like that.

Hey you never know? The Broncos took an $85m(something like that) dead cap hit to shed Wilson for no compensation.

Would the Chargers actually give it a thought if they could get #11,#23 and 2025 1st to do it?

Maybe?

Vikings would have to draft for Chargers though and trade made official after June 1st, to be able to make it happen though.

Herbert's dead cap hit would roll off before Harbaugh lost his grace period with the fans.  It would simply be considered part of the rebuilding years from a team that had the 5th overall draft pick, IMO.   The dead cap hit, from a fanbase perspective, is a nonissue, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Can you expend on this, why do you think that?

I know you did not ask me but I am of the same mind. 

I think the Colts’ TEs are better than most believe. I like Granson. I think Mallory is a good athlete and can make plays. I know MAC has limitations but I am not anti him like many are. I think Ogletree has real potential. And plus this is without Woods being such an unknown. 

• Like 2

Just now, jskinnz said:

I think the Colts’ TEs are better than most believe. I like Granson. I think Mallory is a good athlete and can make plays. I know MAC has limitations but I am not anti him like many are. I think Ogletree has real potential. And plus this is without Woods being such an unknown. 

Don't mind you answering at all - I asked because I wanted the discussion.

I just think "very good" is a stretch when it's almost entirely based on hope. I think Granson and Mo are average. Mallory, Ogletree and Woods have upside and have shown a few flashes, but that doesn't make our TE room "very good" in my opinion. Worst case what we've seen from Ogletree, Mallory and Woods is their ceiling (for whatever reason). I hope our young TEs turn out great (don't get me wrong), I'd just like to see it for once instead of basing the team around what we hope. That's also why I absolutely think we need to pick Bowers if he's there at 15.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I'll jump in too.  Do you think that MAC, Ogletree, or Woods are good enough blockers?  I know that has nothing to do with Bowers, which is probably the reason for the TE discussion, but to me it seems like we might have three TEs assigned to block often whom aren't really all that good at it.  JMO.  But I know that Ogle and Woods are young.

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Just a friendly reminder, it's fun to be negative (not) and before you post, know your facts. Ballard has been the GM for 7 seasons 2017-2023, not 9. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Don't mind you answering at all - I asked because I wanted the discussion.

I just think "very good" is a stretch when it's almost entirely based on hope. I think Granson and Mo are average. Mallory, Ogletree and Woods have upside and have shown a few flashes, but that doesn't make our TE room "very good" in my opinion. Worst case what we've seen from Ogletree, Mallory and Woods is their ceiling (for whatever reason). I hope our young TEs turn out great (don't get me wrong), I'd just like to see it for once instead of basing the team around what we hope. That's also why I absolutely think we need to pick Bowers if he's there at 15.

I think that Bowers and Mallory as the Move TEs, and Woods with Ogletree as the Inline TEs, would improve the TE room dramatically from the Granson/Mallory....MAC/Woods/Ogletree room we have now.  

Probably have to put Mallory on the PS and have Granson on the roster this season though.

• Like 1

Having olgetree & woods, which are both limited shouldn’t keep you from drafting Bowers. Philly had two good ones for years in goedert & ertz. I wouldn’t count on Jelani for much. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think that Bowers and Mallory as the Move TEs, and Woods with Ogletree as the Inline TEs, would improve the TE room dramatically from the Granson/Mallory....MAC/Woods/Ogletree room we have now.  

Probably have to put Mallory on the PS and have Granson on the roster this season though.

I think Bowers would immediately take Granson's snaps plus some. I don't think Mallory would last on our practice squad - he'd get picked up.

• Like 2