Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Don't get me wrong - I like him too - and if I HAD to take a DB at 15 it would probably be him, because he can play both FS and CB.

Edit: I just don't like CB at 15.

Same here pretty much.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Solid84 said:

He may not be worth the 15th overall, but he could be a trade back target.

I recently watched some of DeJean... he looks so much like exactly what Ballard likes from his corners. He's big and physical, he has certain level of explosiveness. He plays tough and physical in the run game and at the catch point, He played off coverage too... a lot of it! He seems to have really good ballskills and takes the ball away. 

The one thing tha doesn't quite fit in the Ballard mold is the thing that most of the top corners in this draft don't fit - the arm length - it's under 32". No idea if Ballard will make an exception for a player that high in the draft. So far the only exceptions he's made are for 5th rounder Nate Hairston and 7th rounder Jaylon Jones... Oh.. and future hall of famer Stephon Gilmore. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

I recently watched some of DeJean... he looks so much like exactly what Ballard likes from his corners. He's big and physical, he has certain level of explosiveness. He plays tough and physical in the run game and at the catch point, He played off coverage too... a lot of it! He seems to have really good ballskills and takes the ball away. 

The one thing tha doesn't quite fit in the Ballard mold is the thing that most of the top corners in this draft don't fit - the arm length - it's under 32". No idea if Ballard will make an exception for a player that high in the draft. So far the only exceptions he's made are for 5th rounder Nate Hairston and 7th rounder Jaylon Jones... Oh.. and future hall of famer Stephon Gilmore. 

What would we draft him as? Corner or safety? What arm length is he looking for at safety? Is it different?

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

What would we draft him as? Corner or safety? What arm length is he looking for at safety? Is it different?

Corner. He might be better at safety on a random team, but IMO if Ballard drafts him, he will draft him as a corner. He looks like a Ballard corner to me... well except for the arm length. Not sure about the arm length threshold at safety. 

50 minutes ago, krunk said:

Won't lie I like him as an athlete. I'm still figuring whether corner or safety is best for him. But I will say he is high IQ player with elite diagnosis skills. Definitely knows what's going on out there.

He’s a safety. I don’t want the Colts drafting a safety high as it’s not really a high impact position and as we’ve seen this offseason safeties aren’t really valued like they used to be. Unless you have a special player like Polomalu or Sean Taylor obviously. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He’s a safety. I don’t want the Colts drafting a safety high as it’s not really a high impact position and as we’ve seen this offseason safeties aren’t really valued like they used to be. Unless you have a special player like Polomalu or Sean Taylor obviously. 

He's probably the best of this group this year though. I'm not talking 15 but I wouldn't trip somewhere in Rd 2 if we had 1 or multiple 2nd rounders. He has a versatile skill set and he is good enough to be good at both S and CB. Plus he brings special teams ability. The Colts love a versatile skill set. He has athletic traits right up there with all the other CB so I'm not ready to say he can't play corner. I've seen him at safety a few times but he didn't build his career of it.  But what I do like again is his elite diagnosis skills. Very aware and in tune player 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

He's probably the best of this group this year though. I'm not talking 15 but I wouldn't trip somewhere in Rd 2 if we had 1 or multiple 2nd rounders. He has a versatile skill set and he is good enough to be good at both S and CB. Plus he brings special teams ability. The Colts love a versatile skill set. He has athletic traits right up there with all the other CB so I'm not ready to say he can't play corner. I've seen him at safety a few times but he didn't build his career of it.  But what I do like again is his elite diagnosis skills. Very aware and in tune player 

He’s instinctive like Leonard.  Will always be around the ball.  You either have it or you don’t.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When has this stuff materialized to become true ?There are probably 4 people in that building who know what they are doing with their picks. Steichen, Ballard, Irsay and Brown. I don't believe a word of it. Plus, if they were to trade up, that is a pretty damning assessment of Ballard's drafting at the tight end position as it would say they have already given up on the young guys as  they drafted TE's  in the 2 previous drafts. Do i think they could trade up? Sure but no one knows but those four guys. Remember this is a team who traded for Buckner and not a work of it leaked out. Once again twitter throwing stuff at a wall hoping it sticks.

Not necessarily.

If Colts are trying to trade up to 9 perhaps they are speaking to the team picking 9 (Chicago) and it leaked out that way ?

That would be more than 4 people.  4 for the Colts and many more for Chicago.

• Like 2

Malik Nabers will meet with Indianapolis

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/malik-nabers-will-travel-to-indianapolis-on-thursday-after-visits-to-jets-bears

...He met with the Cardinals and Chargers last week. He was in New York, visiting with the Jets today before heading to Chicago.

After visiting the Bears on Wednesday, Nabers will head to Indianapolis.

He will meet with the Colts on Thursday, Cameron Wolfe of NFL Media reports. It is a scheduled visit not previously reported.

The Colts need another weapon to join Michael Pittman...

• Like 7

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He’s instinctive like Leonard.  Will always be around the ball.  You either have it or you don’t.

Yeah he doesn't second guess what he sees. When it's there he is right on it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/malik-nabers-will-travel-to-indianapolis-on-thursday-after-visits-to-jets-bears

...He met with the Cardinals and Chargers last week. He was in New York, visiting with the Jets today before heading to Chicago.

He will meet with the Colts on Thursday, Cameron Wolfe of NFL Media reports. It is a scheduled visit not previously reported.

I wish we could get nabers but I know that isn't  happening 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Do it Ballard. Go crazy and trade up.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Damn... Interesting... Not just that we would want to have him as top 30 visit, but also that he would be willing to come considering we are not in position to draft him as it stands right now...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I like guys like DeJean and Mitchell, but I think drafting a CB at 15 will be a waste in this scheme with this DC. I think you COULD make an argument for the top FS if this wasn't such a terrible safety draft, but I think the pick is better spent on DL or WR. Purely my opinion of course.

I'm with you

My personal hope is that they use the 1st on a WR or DE, but they MIGHT go CB

I would actually like a trade back to pick in the late 20s and get the best

WR or DL available

• Like 2

I am a personal sceptic on trading up

I think its probably MORE likely that we trade back, and get an additional 2nd (or 3rd)

If we didnt have a QB to develop, or if there was a cant miss DE, I would think that Ballard would consider it.

I dont see it in this draft

We need a WR, and this draft is packed with talent (we can get our guy in round 1 or 2)

• Like 1

I do find it curious that there was chatter about moving up for Bowers, yet to my knowledge there has been no meeting, and now we get a Nabors top 30 visit?

Thinking Think GIF

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

I do find it curious that there was chatter about moving up for Bowers, yet to my knowledge there has been no meeting, and now we get a Nabors top 30 visit?

Thinking Think GIF

Yeah I think it’s entirely possible Ballard wants to trade up for one of these elite WR1 prospects if they were to fall to the 9-11 range. Would dynamically change this passing attack and we would be in the conversation for one of the best WR cores which would obviously help Richardson. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, w87r said:

Thinking Think GIF

Smoke screen?   I don’t know.  To move to 9 or better is going to be expensive.  I could see it more if we signed Diggs or Simmons.  Since we haven’t that secondary is the weak link and losing our first two picks in order to move up is pretty risky.  You could always wait to sign a FS after the draft.  But I think that’s risky.  I would rather sign a FS before the draft then your options really open up and you can rest assured you have addressed the secondary.  Two sides to a coin I guess.

• Like 3

Imo Chicago is a perfect trade up scenario. Pretty sure they only have like 4 picks this year and no picks in the second round. I’m completely onboard with trading pick 15 and 46 to grab the 9th pick. That would put us in range for bowers, odunze, or nabers. Anyone of those three makes our offense more electrifying. These are blue chip passing game weapons that we’ve been wanting for awhile. Should be a corner or safety available in round 3 that can compete. But if we’re going offense, I’d rather trade up and grab one of the more coveted guys than take a next tier player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Yeah I think it’s entirely possible Ballard wants to trade up for one of these elite WR1 prospects if they were to fall to the 9-11 range. Would dynamically change this passing attack and we would be in the conversation for one of the best WR cores which would obviously help Richardson. 

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it, but for Nabors to even take this visit peeks my interest.

I like Pierce and think he will be just fine, but if there are any injuries, a 4th guy would be nice to have.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Smoke screen?   I don’t know.  To move to 9 or better is going to be expensive.  I could see it more if we signed Diggs or Simmons.  Since we haven’t that secondary is the weak link and losing our first two picks in order to move up is pretty risky.  You could always wait to sign a FS after the draft.  But I think that’s risky.  I would rather sign a FS before the draft then your options really open up and you can rest assured you have addressed the secondary.  Two sides to a coin I guess.

A lot of smoke screens this time of year, but like I just said above, Nabors even accepting a top 30 visit makes it seem plausible.

I'm not too worried about the safety room. Blackmon can play either spot which helps.

So the rest can compete for whichever spot Blackmon isn't playing.

Whether that means Cross wins out and starts at SS, or Thomas/Scott show their worth at FS, or Dejean/ or other potential rookie?

Would I like to bring in Simmons or Diggs? Certainly, but I'm not seeing it at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Imo Chicago is a perfect trade up scenario. Pretty sure they only have like 4 picks this year and no picks in the second round. I’m completely onboard with trading pick 15 and 46 to grab the 9th pick. That would put us in range for bowers, odunze, or nabers. Anyone of those three makes our offense more electrifying. These are blue chip passing game weapons that we’ve been wanting for awhile. Should be a corner or safety available in round 3 that can compete. But if we’re going offense, I’d rather trade up and grab one of the more coveted guys than take a next tier player. 

A corner or safety to compete in round 3?  I don’t like the sounds of that.  Did you forget we’re playing Stroud, Lawrence and Levis twice a year.  You can put aside Levis if you want but he’s no slouch.  He can play and lead a team.  He should not be underestimated.  Then they’re quite a few quarterbacks in our conference who are formidable as well.  lol.  I think our offense is already explosive with AR and JT playing.  Our Achilles heel is the secondary.  I don’t want a corner who can compete.  I want a corner who can start and be an upgrade over our other starters.  I think our best chance of adding a potential difference maker to the secondary is in the 1st rd.  There are plenty of good WR prospects that can be taken in a later round.  It will be slim Pickens for a corner in rd 3.  I would be surprised if we trade up.  He waited for AR.  He will have a lot of good choices at 15.  Hard for me to see Ballard losing pick 46.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it, but for Nabors to even take this visit peeks my interest.

I like Pierce and think he will be just fine, but if there are any injuries, a 4th guy would be nice to have.

A lot of smoke screens this time of year, but like I just said above, Nabors even accepting a top 30 visit makes it seem plausible.

I'm not too worried about the safety room. Blackmon can play either spot which helps.

So the rest can compete for whichever spot Blackmon isn't playing.

Whether that means Cross wins out and starts at SS, or Thomas/Scott show their worth at FS, or Dejean/ or other potential rookie?

Would I like to bring in Simmons or Diggs? Certainly, but I'm not seeing it at this point.

Cross should be FS.  He has the range.  Daniel Scot was supposedly encouraging.

Blackmon s/b SS, but he can't hold up with his body type.   I'm for signing a FS vet on a short term contract and have Cross and Scott play behind him.  Then draft a SS with Blackmon as backup.  There are a lot more SS candidates than FSs coming out, AFAIK.  

SS in 2nd through 4th?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A corner or safety to compete in round 3?  I don’t like the sounds of that.  Did you forget we’re playing Stroud, Lawrence and Levis twice a year.  You can put aside Levis if you want but he’s no slouch.  He can play and lead a team.  He should not be underestimated.  Then they’re quite a few quarterbacks in our conference who are formidable as well.  lol.  I think our offense is already explosive with AR and JT playing.  Our Achilles heel is the secondary.  I don’t want a corner who can compete.  I want a corner who can start and be an upgrade over our other starters.  I think our best chance of adding a potential difference maker to the secondary is in the 1st rd.  There are plenty of good WR prospects that can be taken in a later round.  It will be slim Pickens for a corner in rd 3.  I would be surprised if we trade up.  He waited for AR.  He will have a lot of good choices at 15.  Hard for me to see Ballard losing pick 46.

Ballard has created this problem, where there’s going to be two groups. Group 1- we need more explosive playmakers on the outside. He’s made minor investments with this group over the years. Pittman, downs, & pierce primarily. Pierce is fading fast and downs is a dime a dozen through the draft. What happens if Pittman gets injured again?

Group 2- we need to go secondary no matter what. I completely understand this group as well. The cupboard is bare there also. We’ve drafted safeties & Corners plentiful over the years with nothing major sticking. 

This team has soooo many holes that one draft isn’t going to get us where we want to be. We lack elite talent across the board. From DE, CB, WR, etc. This is why many were angry about Ballard’s approach during FA. No holes have been plugged from the previous year. We still don’t have a corner that can cover, a receiver that can win over the top, or a true DE that can change a game. Hopefully he can find at least one piece in a couple weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Ballard has created this problem, where there’s going to be two groups. Group 1- we need more explosive playmakers on the outside. He’s made minor investments with this group over the years. Pittman, downs, & pierce primarily. Pierce is fading fast and downs is a dime a dozen through the draft. What happens if Pittman gets injured again?

Group 2- we need to go secondary no matter what. I completely understand this group as well. The cupboard is bare there also. We’ve drafted safeties & Corners plentiful over the years with nothing major sticking. 

This team has soooo many holes that one draft isn’t going to get us where we want to be. We lack elite talent across the board. From DE, CB, WR, etc. This is why many were angry about Ballard’s approach during FA. No holes have been plugged from the previous year. We still don’t have a corner that can cover, a receiver that can win over the top, or a true DE that can change a game. Hopefully he can find at least one piece in a couple weeks. 

Since I can’t use an emoji….

I’ll just leave this here….    :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will say this; popular or unpopular

For those who want a Corner Back at 15... Corner Backs do not win you many games in this league.

Elite WR's or Elite TE's do as this league is predicated on scoring points. 

I personally believe the Colts will trade up with the caveat being that another team would want to move back that far to 15.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Cross should be FS.  He has the range.  Daniel Scot was supposedly encouraging.

Blackmon s/b SS, but he can't hold up with his body type.   I'm for signing a FS vet on a short term contract and have Cross and Scott play behind him.  Then draft a SS with Blackmon as backup.  There are a lot more SS candidates than FSs coming out, AFAIK.  

SS in 2nd through 4th?

I think there is a good combination of both in the draft that will be there in the 2nd-4th round. Even the 5th 

Could be wrong but I think Cross has predominantly worked at the SS spot, I agree he has some range and think he could make the transition if needed.

Cross graded out as our best Safety last year, looking forward to him upping his game even more this year.

I also agree that Blackmon is best suited for the SS spot, but as you said, can his body hold up? Couple that with Cross working mostly at SS complicates it.

Blackmon's versatility definitely helps out back there. Let's us get the 2 best on the field with the guys we have.

We have some options, and I think we all know that Ballard isn't quick to give up on his guys. So it's tough seeing Cross, Thomas or Scott being moved on from. So it's a number game at that point. At most we would keep is (5), right? So maybe there is a chance we bring in a FS free agent, or bring in a rookie(talking final roster here), but not much wiggle room there.

May be a reason Dejean can make some sense with CB/FS position versatility?

10 hours ago, stitches said:

Damn... Interesting... Not just that we would want to have him as top 30 visit, but also that he would be willing to come considering we are not in position to draft him as it stands right now...

It's definitely an interesting visit. I don't keep track of top 30 visits because I don't know if there's a real connection to be made, but when we're at #15 and spending this kind of time with a top 5-10 guy, it's worth noticing.

Fifteen days...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

This is an old one, but worth bringing up again with the trade up talks:

Bowers is a generational talent.

Colts fans may have a tough time wrapping their minds around that

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the player Ballard wants gets picked before 15. I can see Ballard trading  down for more picks.  I don’t see Ballard trading up unless there is a player he can’t live without. I also believe we’re going to have to draft a center in this draft somewhere  because I believe this will be the last season for Kelly because it’s the last year of his contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Bowers is a generational talent.

Colts fans may have a tough time wrapping their minds around that

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

If they trade up for a player it will probably be for Dallas Turner.  Ballard has been trying for years to get that ER.  If Turner gets close enough to 15 he might do it.  People forget Woods had a perfect 10.0 Ras score.  Hard to see Ballard not even giving him an opportunity.  You trade up for any player they have to start.  Same for Nabors so Pierce sits.  I would be shocked if he trades up.  I think he could be tempted for Turner though.  Ballard can get a great player just sitting at 15.  So I think he waits and picks at 15.  I’m guessing Dejean.  He would make an immediate impact in the secondary and special teams.  So many possibilities.

• Like 1