Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

14 minutes ago, KB said:

So we out here throwing a fit every time another team makes a signing or trade? Lmao.

I don't advocate throwing fits.

We should be throwing moving van coupons in Ballard's mailbox. God forbid he should have to pay full price to leave town.

:lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

13 forced fumbles in the last 4 years. That's 3.25 a season average even while blanking in 2023. ( I used 4 as in 2023 he had zero FF )

In comparison:

Paye: 3 forced fumbles in last three years. 1 per season average

Dayo: 3 forced fumbles in last 3 years. 1 per season average.

Ebukam: 5 FF in last 3 years. 1.67 per season average.

Buckner: 4 FF in last 3 years. 1.34 per season average.

And Reddick is less productive? 

It took 3 of our guys to equal one of Reddick.

I would have dropped Dayo and Paye and took Reddick all day and twice on Sunday

Not your money so of course that's what you'd do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

I don't advocate throwing fits.

We should be throwing moving van coupons in Ballard's mailbox. God forbid he should have to pay full price to leave town.

:lol:

a question for those who think ballard is an above average roster builder, how many of the current colts roster do you think could be starters for the chiefs and who are they? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard wasn’t afraid to go after Hunter.  Same age as Reddick and his contract is more than Reddick.  29 might be too old for you but not for Ballard.  Grover is 30.  He didn’t do too bad either.

@Indeee Hunter is also 6'5" 263lbs, while Reddick is 6'1" 240lbs, so Reddick may have not been seen as a schematic fit.

He's about the same size as Ngakoue, who was a solid pass rusher, but bad against the run. Reddick graded out around 63 in the run last season, Ngakoue's Indy season was around 45, so Reddick wasn't as bad, but Hunter was in the 80s last season, so Hunter is a much better fit from a size and overall productivity standpoint.

Again, I like Reddick, but I can see why we may not have pursued him like we did Hunter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ll give ol’ Sub .500 Ballard credit for one thing: His constant gaslighting and excuse making has conditioned his army of fans to be ready with an excuse whenever a good player moves teams but not to the Colts. 

- He costs too much. 
- He might have a bad knee.

- Not even the best CB on his own team

- Too old 

- We already have Paye 

- Only the trenches matter 

- Fans in city X don’t like him

- Luck retired, we don’t have a young QB 

- We have a young QB now but he’s not ready 

- We’re not good enough to go for it 

- Doesn’t fit our culture 

- We trust our own guys more 

- Better to build through the draft 

- He must not like Indianapolis 

- There are still other free agents out there 

- B player wants A money 

- We got Dulin coming back healthy 

- We like our X room of guys 

- Our guys will get better with new position coach 

- Let a dumb GM spend on player X 

- AR will take a big step so we don’t need player X 

- Delay your gratification 

- Our approach has us in the upper quartile 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard wasn’t afraid to go after Hunter.  Same age as Reddick and his contract is more than Reddick.  29 might be too old for you but not for Ballard.  Grover is 30.  He didn’t do too bad either.

Hunter was a FA, Reddick you are giving a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a new contract or you keep him as a one year rental. So for the price of Reddick he isn't worth it, I would trust Ebukam and the new DL coach improving our young players. The Jets are going all in this year with Rodgers, but Howie Roseman may end up making them look bad like he has made many others look foolish with trades.

8 hours ago, Indeee said:

Do you even know what you are talking about? No you obviously don't. 

Reddick last 4 years. 12.5, 11, 16, and 11. These are sack totals, and you are going to sit here and spout the bolded.

What a joke. :facepalm:

Well from your response, I would say I know more than you lol

See the above comment about why Reddick costs way too much, Howie would love to give Reddick for Dayo and Paye and would laugh is way to the super bowl. While your philosophy would destroy your depth and rotation players that would leave the DL gassed and unable to last the season. It's the same thing Grigson did. After 2-3 years you will have the oldest roster in the league, no young talent and have terrible cap space.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Hunter was a FA, Reddick you are giving a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a new contract or you keep him as a one year rental. So for the price of Reddick he isn't worth it, I would trust Ebukam and the new DL coach improving our young players. The Jets are going all in this year with Rodgers, but Howie Roseman may end up making them look bad like he has made many others look foolish with trades.

Well from your response, I would say I know more than you lol

See the above comment about why Reddick costs way too much, Howie would love to give Reddick for Dayo and Paye and would laugh is way to the super bowl. While your philosophy would destroy your depth and rotation players that would leave the DL gassed and unable to last the season. It's the same thing Grigson did. After 2-3 years you will have the oldest roster in the league, no young talent and have terrible cap space.

The cost for Reddick was a conditional 3rd rd pick in 2026.  Not 2024 not 2025 but 2026.  The price for Reddick was definitely worth it.  He’s only 29.  A new contract will secure him for three or four years.  Howie and Joe Douglas are buddies.  They are both happy with the trade.  Ballard thought Hunter was a better fit.  It’s about finding the right fit when a trade is made.  Ballard could still be shopping for all we know.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

a question for those who think ballard is an above average roster builder, how many of the current colts roster do you think could be starters for the chiefs and who are they? 

Clear and obvious answer - Anthony Richardson. 

6 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Jonathan Taylor, Michael Pittman, Deforest Buckner, Nelson, Raimann, Ryan Kelly, Braden Smith, Josh Downs, Kenny Moore.  So 9 of 22 starters.  Not bad when comparing a team that didn’t make the playoffs to a team who won the Super Bowl.  

Is Ballard perfect?  No.  Far from it.  However he’s not the bumbling * some want him to be.  

I’ll flip the question on you.  If Ballard’s teams had had Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning rather than the mess they have had at QB do you think they would make the playoffs more often than not?  If you feel so it lends support to Ballard’s theory that the biggest thing this team has been missing is a true franchise QB.  If Richardson turns out to be that guy this team will be really good in a couple of years.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jonathan Taylor, Michael Pittman, Deforest Buckner, Nelson, Raimann, Ryan Kelly, Braden Smith, Josh Downs, Kenny Moore.  So 9 of 22 starters.  Not bad when comparing a team that didn’t make the playoffs to a team who won the Super Bowl.  

Is Ballard perfect?  No.  Far from it.  However he’s not the bumbling * some want him to be.  

I’ll flip the question on you.  If Ballard’s teams had had Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning rather than the mess they have had at QB do you think they would make the playoffs more often than not?  If you feel so it lends support to Ballard’s theory that the biggest thing this team has been missing is a true franchise QB.  If Richardson turns out to be that guy this team will be really good in a couple of years.  

lots of teams have players they drafted that panned out well. what's the point? he is decent at drafting? Okay, Captain Obvious. And the Andrew Luck excuse is expired. Move on to a different excuse. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I’ll give ol’ Sub .500 Ballard credit for one thing: His constant gaslighting and excuse making has conditioned his army of fans to be ready with an excuse whenever a good player moves teams but not to the Colts. 

- He costs too much. 
- He might have a bad knee.

- Not even the best CB on his own team

- Too old 

- We already have Paye 

- Only the trenches matter 

- Fans in city X don’t like him

- Luck retired, we don’t have a young QB 

- We have a young QB now but he’s not ready 

- We’re not good enough to go for it 

- Doesn’t fit our culture 

- We trust our own guys more 

- Better to build through the draft 

- He must not like Indianapolis 

- There are still other free agents out there 

- B player wants A money 

- We got Dulin coming back healthy 

- We like our X room of guys 

- Our guys will get better with new position coach 

- Let a dumb GM spend on player X 

- AR will take a big step so we don’t need player X 

- Delay your gratification 

- Our approach has us in the upper quartile 

I was hoping this was a post worth reading.

Why in the world is Ballard waiting to sign a safety, most notably Blackmon? He’s not gonna be any cheaper if they wait another few weeks so just sign him already to guarantee we have a starting caliber player back there before someone else does. Makes no sense to me. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Why in the world is Ballard waiting to sign a safety, most notably Blackmon? He’s not gonna be any cheaper if they wait another few weeks so just sign him already to guarantee we have a starting caliber player back there before someone else does. Makes no sense to me. 

1.  Waiting does often times lead to players lowering their asking price because they realize they aren’t going to get what they wanted.

2.  I think Ballard made the decision to move on from Blackmon for better or worse.  Hence Blackmon not being signed and unfollowing the Colts on social media.

3.  I think they need a vet safety back there too.  What is Ballard going to do?  I have no idea.

4.  I still find it interesting some fans have been hammering Ballard for spending all his money on keeping his own and not going out and getting other players while also wanting to know why Ballard hasn’t re-signed Blackmon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

The cost for Reddick was a conditional 3rd rd pick in 2026.  Not 2024 not 2025 but 2026.  The price for Reddick was definitely worth it.  He’s only 29.  A new contract will secure him for three or four years.  Howie and Joe Douglas are buddies.  They are both happy with the trade.  Ballard thought Hunter was a better fit.  It’s about finding the right fit when a trade is made.  Ballard could still be shopping for all we know.

It was a 3rd that can turn into a 2nd with the right conditions and the fact that it's in 2026 doesn't change the fact that it is a 2nd/3rd rounder. Frankly they overpaid for him.

As where the Colts fit with this trade, it doesn't make sense because of the cost and you have to ask the question how big of a difference is Reddick to our current starter?" Which Reddick fits Ebukam's role more than Payes. Ebukam had 9.5 sacks in his first season, and hopefully with the new DL coach he have at least 9 sacks this season as well. So is the 2nd and 3rd rounder + the new contract worth the slight upgrade that Reddick is? I say no because Ebukam could be just as good if not better this year. (Granted sacks aren't the be all for comparing players, I'm just using them to simplify the argument without getting to far into the weeds.)

Hunter would have replaced Paye most likely which would have been a bigger upgrade worth the contract (without giving draft picks away).

How I always look at these trades is what the floor and ceiling of player A is compared to the current player B, and are the assets that are being traded/contract being given worth the difference between the ceiling of current player B to the floor of the new Player A.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I think we have hit the point everyone is waiting for after the draft to fill holes. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  Waiting does often times lead to players lowering their asking price because they realize they aren’t going to get what they wanted.

2.  I think Ballard made the decision to move on from Blackmon for better or worse.  Hence Blackmon not being signed and unfollowing the Colts on social media.

3.  I think they need a vet safety back there too.  What is Ballard going to do?  I have no idea.

4.  I still find it interesting some fans have been hammering Ballard for spending all his money on keeping his own and not going out and getting other players while also wanting to know why Ballard hasn’t re-signed Blackmon.

My shot is that knowing the S draft is weak, the 3 good safeties agents have their heels dug in for multi-year deals with good pay for their clients. It is the job to get the most guaranteed $$ as the market will bear. The Colts are one team that is going to pay one of them as our cupboard is as darn near empty. 

It's safe to say the Colts are interested in more than 1 of them so now it's a game of chicken about how close does the FA get to the draft before his agent decides on getting his guy a locked in job for the best offer available.

Ballard can easily wait till one of them signs, then he will have to step up his aggression.

Unless, he feels good about there being acceptable players coming available right up to final cuts. But I seriously doubt that. He will sign someone shortly before the draft I wager. One year $7.8 M

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

My shot is that knowing the S draft is weak, the 3 good safeties agents have their heels dug in for multi-year deals with good pay for their clients. It is the job to get the most guaranteed $$ as the market will bare. The Colts are one team that is going to pay one of them as our cupboard is as darn near empty. 

It's safe to say the Colts are interested in more than 1 of them so now it's a game of chicken about how close does the FA get to the draft before his agent decides on getting his guy a locked in job for the best offer available.

Ballard can easily wait till one of them signs, then he will have to step up his aggression.

Unless, he feels good about there being acceptable players coming available right up to final cuts. But I seriously doubt that. He will sign someone shortly before the draft I wager. One year $7.8 M

Also saw us listed as potential team for Budda Baker if they move him before or during draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/arizona-cardinals-budda-baker-trade-candidate-draft#:~:text=Baker - who turned 28 earlier,the upcoming 2024 NFL Draft.

Obviously just connecting us with other teams with needs, but potentially another option.

Would be an expiring deal, with $15.1m cap hit this year. Could sign to an extension though and reduce the number.

I think we make another move before the draft, hopefully a couple, but yeah, for most part, teams will start to look to fill holes once they see how draft plays out and what holes remain.

Draft can't help our veteran Safety need though.

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Very true. Especially in a draft where the safety class appears to be pretty weak. Which is why they will make a move before the draft to get an upgrade. Hopefully Simmons. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

I would try to answer, but it would just make you sad :P

13 hours ago, KB said:

So we out here throwing a fit every time another team makes a signing or trade? Lmao.

Is this your first off-season on the forum?  This is pretty much standard operating procedure around here lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Do you think Ryan Kelly starts over Creed Humphrey, who has been an elite Center even from rookie days and a young player who still has got more prime years of his career? Chiefs aren't starting Kelly over him.

Not getting into the discussion about all others who could start for Chiefs, but Chiefs already have a young Elite Center who has played all his career in harmony with Mahomes, they won't start anyone in the league other than him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Are you sure about that? You believe that Blackmon hasn’t signed because he thinks he is going to get better terms weeks after free agency started? … or is it more likely he wants more than what his market is and Ballard is just waiting for him to come back to the negotiating table after realizing this? Which seems like is starting to happen based on the reports.

14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That's because you miss the point. People want upgrades instead of keeping players with clear short-comings that haven't helped us win anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Zoltan said:

It was a 3rd that can turn into a 2nd with the right conditions and the fact that it's in 2026 doesn't change the fact that it is a 2nd/3rd rounder. Frankly they overpaid for him.

As where the Colts fit with this trade, it doesn't make sense because of the cost and you have to ask the question how big of a difference is Reddick to our current starter?" Which Reddick fits Ebukam's role more than Payes. Ebukam had 9.5 sacks in his first season, and hopefully with the new DL coach he have at least 9 sacks this season as well. So is the 2nd and 3rd rounder + the new contract worth the slight upgrade that Reddick is? I say no because Ebukam could be just as good if not better this year. (Granted sacks aren't the be all for comparing players, I'm just using them to simplify the argument without getting to far into the weeds.)

Hunter would have replaced Paye most likely which would have been a bigger upgrade worth the contract (without giving draft picks away).

How I always look at these trades is what the floor and ceiling of player A is compared to the current player B, and are the assets that are being traded/contract being given worth the difference between the ceiling of current player B to the floor of the new Player A.

That is why they pursued Hunter and not Reddick.  Like I said.  If he meets the conditions of the trade the Jets will be happy giving up the 2nd in 2026.

13 hours ago, w87r said:

Also saw us listed as potential team for Budda Baker if they move him before or during draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/arizona-cardinals-budda-baker-trade-candidate-draft#:~:text=Baker - who turned 28 earlier,the upcoming 2024 NFL Draft.

Obviously just connecting us with other teams with needs, but potentially another option.

Would be an expiring deal, with $15.1m cap hit this year. Could sign to an extension though and reduce the number.

I think we make another move before the draft, hopefully a couple, but yeah, for most part, teams will start to look to fill holes once they see how draft plays out and what holes remain.

I have mentioned trading for Baker in some of my earlier posts.  I like this move better because of his age and Ballard could extend him and he would fit in perfectly with the current extensions of our own players.  He’s in his prime so he would be a great get imo.  Safety room fortified with an all pro for years down the road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

That's because you miss the point. People want upgrades instead of keeping players with clear short-comings that haven't helped us win anything.

Yet they are upset that Ballard isn’t keeping one of his own and might be shopping for an upgrade.  Sorry I see it as people talking out of both sides of their mouth.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yet they are upset that Ballard isn’t keeping one of his own and might be shopping for an upgrade.  Sorry I see it as people talking out of both sides of their mouth.

I think we know Ballard well enough to know he isn’t shopping for an upgrade. I mean, isn’t that what you and others say all the time? Ballard builds through the draft, but now he doesn’t, or?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Unless same person does both.

In a forum, some would not like our own free agents, some won't like cheap outside free agents, some won't like expensive free agents from outside, some would like specific free agents of Colts to be re-signed, some would like Blackmon back and others may not.

In general, people wanted to see improvement in the roster and signing own free agents keep the status quo, but those people wanted to see at least an outside free agent that made difference in the roster. Ballard also tried to the same by pursuing Hunter and Sneed, and could have tried for more.

Just because people wanted to sign outside free agents doesn't mean they didn't want free agents of our own. Just because some wanted upgrade specifically in place of Stewart or Moore doesn't mean they didn't want Blackmon back. 

In case of safety, if Colts had signed someone like McKinney, or Savage, Poyer or CGJ, most wouldn't be more concerned about safety position looking forward to the draft, and most wouldn't be concerned about the potential vacancy in Safety in the roster and wouldn't be calling for Blackmon to be re-signed. As it didn't happen, anyone concerned just wants to see the position filled in free agency, and that may include Blackmon. 

Yet they are upset that Ballard isn’t keeping one of his own and might be shopping for an upgrade.  

To this claim, do you think these persons would want Blackmon re-signed if Colts had already signed Xavier McKinney? I bet they wouldn't - there's the answer.

It's not talking out of both sides of the mouth. If Colts had signed an upgrade, most wouldn't want Blackmon. As that didn't happen, and it doesn't look like not many upgrades are out there, and as Ballard already said they're in talks with Blackmon again, maybe people would like Blackmon back now? 

Unless you catch same person talking out of both sides of their mouth, in which case you could ask directly. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think we know Ballard well enough to know he isn’t shopping for an upgrade. I mean, isn’t that what you and others say all the time? Ballard builds through the draft, but now he doesn’t, or?

I’ve said Ballard uses free agency sparingly and have called for a vet safety to be added all off-season.  Including in the post you took exception too.  Thanks for putting words in my mouth though.

It’s also a nice attempt to deflect from the original point I was making which is the people who were slamming Ballard for re-signing his own and now calling for him to re-sign his own and look to be ready to slam him if he doesn’t.  I think we can see what those fans are really wanting to do…

People can’t have it both ways and yell and scream that they want upgrades and not for Ballard to re-sign his own and then complain what’s he waiting for?  Why isn’t re-signing his own?

Free agency doesn’t let you keep everyone.  Odds are Blackmon asked for too much money and and Ballard had legit concerns about his injury history and decided to move on from him.  

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve said Ballard uses free agency sparingly and have called for a vet safety to be added all off-season.  Including in the post you took exception too.  Thanks for putting words in my mouth though.

It’s also a nice attempt to deflect from the original point I was making which is the people who were slamming Ballard for re-signing his own and now calling for him to re-sign his own and look to be ready to slam him if he doesn’t.  I think we can see what those fans are really wanting to do…

People can’t have it both ways and yell and scream that they want upgrades and not for Ballard to re-sign his own and then complain what’s he waiting for?  Why isn’t re-signing his own?

Free agency doesn’t let you keep everyone.  Odds are Blackmon asked for too much money and and Ballard had legit concerns about his injury history and decided to move on from him.  

I’m not deflecting at all. I thought you calling people out was hilarious, because you and others repeatedly state Ballard builds through the draft, but now say he could be looking for an upgrade. 

I think people may want Ballard to re-sign Blackmon because he’s been sitting on his hands and now there aren’t any clear upgrades left we can build around. 

• Like 3

Just now, Solid84 said:

I’m not deflecting at all. I thought you calling people out was hilarious, because you and others repeatedly state Ballard builds through the draft, but now say he could be looking for an upgrade. 

I think people may want Ballard to re-sign Blackmon because he’s been sitting on his hands and now there aren’t any clear upgrades left we can build around. 

Okay you aren’t listening.  I told you what I thought Ballard did with free agency and you are ignoring it because it’s not what you want to rant about.  Have a nice day.  

On 3/30/2024 at 12:18 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

The roles would be reversed if Mahomes was the Colts QB...same rosters except QB

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

because you and others repeatedly state Ballard builds through the draft, but now say he could be looking for an upgrade. 

perhaps I'm misinterpreting you, but it sounds like you're taking "building through the draft" way too literally.  If I did misinterpret then my bad. 

Every team has playmakers and role players.  Since he's gotten here, Ballard has used the draft to try to find the playmakers (Buckner being the one exception that immediately comes to mind), and free agency to sign and upgrade those role players.  This is essentially what is meant by "building through the draft".  

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hey @OLD FAN MAN you interested in having real conversations or just posting your passive aggressive laughing emoji on any post that dares to suggest Ballard is anything less the worst GM in the history of pro football?

He isn't.   

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hey @OLD FAN MAN you interested in having real conversations or just posting your passive aggressive laughing emoji on any post that dares to suggest Ballard is anything less the worst GM in the history of pro football?

@OLD FAN MANso since you just left your passive aggressive laughing face that tells me you aren’t interested in real conversation and I shall treat you as :troll: since that’s what you are doing.

• Thanks 1

It's based on snaps played for players drafted outside of the first round, not quality of performance. There's also a Pro Bowl escalator, for which neither Thomas nor Fries qualified.

Edit: Page 51 of this PDF, if anyone wants to punish themselves by reading CBA specifics.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

It's based on snaps played for players drafted outside of the first round, not quality of performance. There's also a Pro Bowl escalator, for which neither Thomas nor Fries qualified.

Edit: Page 51 of this PDF, if anyone wants to punish themselves by reading CBA specifics.

Nice.   Happy for both.   I like pulling for underdogs.   Fries has a future.   The jury is still out on Thomas.   But I’m rooting for them to prove the doubters wrong.   And if either doesn’t, they certainly got a fair shot.  

• Like 1