Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Hello runthepost, KC has a qb named Patrick Mahomes and he is pretty good, so they can sign free agents and whether the guy is really that good doesn't matter, Mahomes makes that whole team look better. Just like when Manning was here. In the nfl having a great qb makes all the difference in the world. Hopefully Richardson is our guy, the only 2 years Ballard has had a "decent" quarterback we made the playoffs(2018 with Luck, 2020 with Rivers). And we were a dropped pass away from possibly another playoff appearance last season with Minshew at qb for most of the season. There is lot's of talent on this team, we have been very competitive with "mediocre" qb play. And I'll add, using a defensive scheme that totally sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Thats your words, not mine.   The team was trying to win every season.  It was built to win each year if only they had gotten the QB right.  And you’re operating with the benefit of hindsight. 

I'm giving Ballard a pass on the past QB situation. I agree, it's been a hindrance.

If you and I are to look forward, we have to agree that Ballard selected AR to be his franchise QB. He's hitched his horse to AR, who was, and still is a risky proposition, due to his injury history and lack of experience.

Do you agree that if AR does not pan out, then it would fall squarely on Ballard?  I think we would judge every other GM in this manner. The results need to be better moving forward now that Ballard has made his decision on the QB.

I think that's a fair way of looking at it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

I'm giving Ballard a pass on the past QB situation. I agree, it's been a hindrance.

If you and I are to look forward, we have to agree that Ballard selected AR to be his franchise QB. He's hitched his horse to AR, who was, and still is a risky proposition, due to his injury history and lack of experience.

Do you agree that if AR does not pan out, then it would fall squarely on Ballard?  I think we would judge every other GM in this manner. The results need to be better moving forward now that Ballard has made his decision on the QB.

Im totally good with that.   If AR doesn’t work out, I don’t see Irsay keeping Ballard.  And I’ve been saying that for months.  I think Ballard has maybe 2-3 years left.  He’s rides or dies with AR. 

If Ballard eventually gets fired, I think Irsay offers the job to either Dodds or Morocco Brown.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I'm not sure that's a better argument. 

"It's not deliberate, it's due to incompetence".

Plead Monty Python GIF

10 minutes ago, Crunked said:

Has anyone pointed out that Stephan Gilmore, Kenny Moore, Rock ya Sin and Blackmon all free agents....why dont we get the band back together LOL   

Blues Brothers GIF

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Co-signed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Really don’t want to give up good draft capital in a loaded draft class. 

I might disagree with the idea that the draft is loaded, but I will say that DB and WR appear to be strengths of this draft class. I think WR will be a strength of every draft class, though. It's also strong at OL.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd rather have Sneed than any of the corners in this draft. Dude is a proven commodity, and if it could be done for a 2nd rounder (plus), we should be all over it. And I'd even consider adding Pierce to the trade, which is something the Chiefs should think about.

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

I might disagree with the idea that the draft is loaded, but I will say that DB and WR appear to be strengths of this draft class. I think WR will be a strength of every draft class, though. It's also strong at OL.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd rather have Sneed than any of the corners in this draft. Dude is a proven commodity, and if it could be done for a 2nd rounder (plus), we should be all over it. And I'd even consider adding Pierce to the trade, which is something the Chiefs should think about.

If we can replace Pierce in the draft with pick 15 or a 3rd rounder I would be all for it. I do think with AR back he is going to take another step.

I was sitting here pondering a rebuttal. Mostly filled with a lot of "well any day now" about AP busting onto the scene but you know......even if it happens for him, its still a year or two too late for the Colties....so I guess I am saying I agree with that thought. 

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Seriously.  I thought he would be the first to resign.  A no brainer for me.

Sanchez has one of the bottom 6 punt averages in the league. 

36 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Please change title of thread to:

Colts free agent snooze

Did you truly expect any different 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Sanchez has one of the bottom 6 punt averages in the league. 

Did you truly expect any different 

I think he’s good enough to keep on the team as our punter. Colts have also said he’s one of the better placement holders in the league. He can  kickoff well if needed too. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Interesting

Makes sense. A new deal for Snead would take up much of the remaining cap space for the Colts. Tough to go after much else until they know if they can get him.

11 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I believe he was 12th. 

ive heard some people be negative on shanchez, and some think he is a top third punter. idk which one

i feel like he isn't that consistent

• Thanks 1

If what the article regarding the Colts trying to still acquire Snead then this tells me the Colts really do not want to use that 2 on Snead. I say this because I would guess the Colts would need that 2 plus pick 15 to move up to grab the WR or TE. If Snead comes to Indy, Corner Back is not the play at 15 and without that 2, the Colts would be hard pressed to find enough picks to move up.

Pure speculation of course but it kind of would make sense. Especially if moving up would warrant pick 15, our 2024 second, and a 2025 first rounder, the Colts would most assuredly want whoever we trade With's 2024 second in return. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If what the article regarding the Colts trying to still acquire Snead then this tells me the Colts really do not want to use that 2 on Snead. I say this because I would guess the Colts would need that 2 plus pick 15 to move up to grab the WR or TE. If Snead comes to Indy, Corner Back is not the play at 15 and without that 2, the Colts would be hard pressed to find enough picks to move up.

Pure speculation of course but it kind of would make sense. Especially if moving up would warrant pick 15, our 2024 second, and a 2025 first rounder, the Colts would most assuredly want whoever we trade With's 2024 second in return. 

If Ballard trades anything more than a 3rd for Sneed it’s a big mistake. In the meantime he is missing out on some free agents. Before you know it all the good players will be gone. 

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

????      Serious, or sarcastic?   

The Colts were NEVER going to match that offer.  They will find another veteran QB on the FA market this year.  Maybe Brissett?   Maybe Tyrod Taylor?   Maybe Tyler Huntley?   Someone like that.  

Trust that Shane will find someone he can work with. 

sarcasm lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Ballard eventually gets fired, I think Irsay offers the job to either Dodds or Morocco Brown.   

if Ballard was fired because of AR not panning out, why would he be replaced with Brown- the guy that vouched for AR? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

It has not been in Ballard's DNA to push his chips to middle of the table. I would be very surprised if this were to happen. It's great he is resigning key Colt players - but I think it is overdue that he sheds the ultra conservative approach to building the Colts roster. His record to date speaks for itself. 

9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I say this because I would guess the Colts would need that 2 plus pick 15 to move up to grab the WR or TE.

little chance of Ballard moving up. 

I thought there was a higher chance of him signing a free agent day 1 (aside from our own) than trading up, and that ship sailed. He’s more likely to trade back and acquire another 2nd than to give the only one he has up (especially if he’s already given a 3rd for Sneed) than to trade up for a player. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

little chance of Ballard moving up. 

I thought there was a higher chance of him signing a free agent day 1 (aside from our own) than trading up, and that ship sailed. He’s more likely to trade back and acquire another 2nd than to give the only one he has up (especially if he’s already given a 3rd for Sneed) than to trade up for a player. 

This is what I'm hoping for. Move back a bit and still get a really good player.

• Like 1

Just now, Dobbinblitz said:

It has not been in Ballard's DNA to push his chips to middle of the table. I would be very surprised if this were to happen. It's great he is resigning key Colt players - but I think it is overdue that he sheds the ultra conservative approach to building the Colts roster. His record to date speaks for itself. 

I believe the old adage is , "If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got" although I have heard said many different ways....but I agree with you :) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard trades anything more than a 3rd for Sneed it’s a big mistake. In the meantime he is missing out on some free agents. Before you know it all the good players will be gone. 

I agree about the asking price for sneed.  But honestly, I don’t think we’re missing out.  Our biggest needs are FS, CB, WR, DE.

FS:  Only player I’m bummed about missing out is McKinney, but seeing the price he went for, Ballard wasn’t going to pay that.  There are some FSs out there we can get and would a big upgrade over who we have now.

CB:  seems we’re targeting sneed.  Personally, I wouldn’t target him.  He’s 3 years away from 30, will be very expensive, and could possibly get a cheaper alternative in the draft.  But it is what it is.

WR:  draft class is stacked!  No way ballard is going to pay 2 WRs $20million and eat up a big chunk of our available cap this year (at least I don’t think he would).  We’re definitely going pass catcher in either the first or second round.  

DE:  no way we were beating that Brian burns deal.  I would’ve loved to get huff however.  This is the one position I’m worried about us missing out on because it’s probably the biggest one.  We ranked 30th in hurries.  Just becoming mediocre in hurries would do wonders for this defense. 

All in all, I’m a little worried, not a lot, just a tad bit. I didn’t expect us to be big players this year, but did expect us to target some big players in a sense.  We’ll see.  It’s only day 2.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

if Ballard was fired because of AR not panning out, why would he be replaced with Brown- the guy that vouched for AR? 

You’re judging a GM candidate by one recommendation?     A GM makes countless decisions….  Every day, every month…. Every year.    You really want to decide based on one decision?   

Respectfully,  I’d re-think that. 

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Imo the only thing holding up adding any other player to the secondary is Kenny Moore.  I think there are plans in place depending on whether he signs or not.  Once he makes his decision then Ballard makes his moves.  Waiting on Kenny I think.