Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman wants to explore options

w87r

Ballard would be stupid to let him go elsewhere unless he simply wants to be paid like Justin Jefferson or Tyreek Hill. If he’s reasonable with his contract demands he has to be back and there are no excuses from Ballard if he’s not in that case. 

Pitt is being smart. You want a big contract? You make sure your employer knows you're not going to take less than market value and that you’ll consider your options. I fully expect him to be back with the Colts, but he won’t and shouldn’t come cheap. 

• Like 2

Everyone think the team has submitted an offer and he doesn't like it?

Yeah, all we have to do is put the tag on him, just more curious about a potential offer he was unhappy with.

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

Everyone think the team has submitted an offer and he doesn't like it?

Yeah, all we have to do is put the tag on him, just more curious about a potential offer he was unhappy with.

No. He said this morning he told colts he wouldn’t negotiate until after the season. He has had to deal with a lot of quarterbacks so I don’t blame him wanting to see what Richardson and Steichen were all about.

46 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

Agreed this is posturing.  Giving into JT showed the way to play it

Pittman isn't under contract.  Pittman has been an ultimate pro and has acted as such.  So many want to say he isn't  a "number 1".  He won't be replaced easily.   Ballard wants him back I'm sure.   I'm sure Ballard is fine with other teams giving him offers.  It let's both sides know what his market value is

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

it didnt sound like it to me he said we are a rpo offense and his skill is for deep balls .   i think he wants to stretch the field more .

He has a QB with a huge arm. Don’t think that is going to be an issue.  Go look at when Richardson played and how spread out everything was.

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I said this on a different thread, but I think Pittman will talk with other teams, and present the highest offer to Ballard so he can match it. I think he will stay if the best offer is matched.

I don’t think Ballard is going to allow him to hit FA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He has a QB with a huge arm. Don’t think that is going to be an issue.  Go look at when Richardson played and how spread out everything was.

I think the only way he can prevent that at this point is to tag him. He might do that and work a deal with him. I wouldn't be against it personally. 

11 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I said this on a different thread, but I think Pittman will talk with other teams, and present the highest offer to Ballard so he can match it. I think he will stay if the best offer is matched.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah, I don't see him being an UFA.

He can see some offers on the non exclusive franchise tag though.

Can always work a trade out to avoid the (2) 1st. Could see a 1st and 4th maybe?

Don't think Ballard let's him walk for a 2025 Comp pick though, that's for sure.

3 options:

New deal 

Franchise Tag/ stay

Franchise Tag/ trade

• Like 4

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I like Pittman and I'm fine if he stays but I've always said we could do better. My opinion probably isn't popular but I stand on it.

People always say that but can’t say who would you replace him with. Richardson having his steadiness is going to be very important. 1k yard Wr Donr grow on trees.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like Pittman and I'm fine if he stays but I've always said we could do better. My opinion probably isn't popular but I stand on it.

I'm with you too. Pittman has been a really great player for us. But at what cost are they willing to pay him? I personally don't put him at the highest ranking of his position

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

People always say that but can’t say who would you replace him with. Richardson having his steadiness is going to be very important. 1k yard Wr Donr grow on trees.

Again I like him but he has limitations. Should we try to work out a deal? I do believe so, but I wouldn't be afraid to lose him if we can get more explosive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Again I like him but he has limitations. Should we try to work out a deal? I do believe so, but I wouldn't be afraid to lose him if we can get more explosive.

You can say that but it doesn’t seem true. When he had a QB like wentz with a big arm he was a big downfield threat. He is good at the underneath stuff opening things up for others. He has had how many QB? 

Just curious if people thought this way about Michael Thomas? They are basically the same player. Catch everything too. 

Market value is market value. Can’t do anything about that.

I doubt this means much if anything but a year or so ago his little bro let it slip on his gaming stream that if Pitt could have his perfect scenario it would be closer to home on the west side of the country.

• Like 1

Kevin Bowen has a good point. if you look at the list of top 15 WR they are either on teams that drafted them or were traded for. You have to get wlll the way down to Hopkins before you see a FA signing. Just something to think about for any WR that decided they want to go elsewhere. Or people who think they can just replace him with a FA. 

Burrow said today he structured his contract so they can keep Higgins and was promised that by the team. Doesn’t look like he will be available.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You can say that but it doesn’t seem true. When he had a QB like wentz with a big arm he was a big downfield threat. He is good at the underneath stuff opening things up for others. He has had how many QB? 

Just curious if people thought this way about Michael Thomas? They are basically the same player. Catch everything too. 

Market value is market value. Can’t do anything about that.

Did we throw him any bombs this weekend? I like him, I'm fine if he stays but I'm not afraid to groom a couple young guys who are better athletes if he leaves for more money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/michael-pittman-jr-ive-loved-my-time-with-colts-but-want-to-explore-options

"“I made it this far, so I’ve loved my four years here. But I wouldn’t be doing my due diligence if I didn’t explore every option and find the best fit,” Pittman said, via Stephen Holder of ESPN.com""

Good.   I really dont think Steichen is overly invested in Pittman. He wants more explosive receivers that fits what Richardson is capable of doing. He is a good receiver and not worth near what Pittman wants. I don't think there will be a robust market for Pittman and  I think he is going to find that out. I put all chips in for Higgins

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Good.   I really dont think Steichen is overly invested in Pittman. He wants more explosive receivers that fits what Richardson is capable of doing. He is a good receiver and not worth near what Pittman wants. I don't think there will be a robust market for Pittman and  I think he is going to find that out. I put all chips in for Higgins

What's the difference between Higgins and Pittman?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard will be doing a presser in the next 1 to 3 days and I am sure he will be asked about Pittman and we will get a very good idea on how he thinks.

He will say the usual Ballard thing. I think the fact that there appears to be little movement on a contract is very telling. I think they have been always prepared to let him walk and test the market. Myself, I think he is gone. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Did we throw him any bombs this weekend? I like him, I'm fine if he stays but I'm not afraid to groom a couple young guys who are better athletes if he leaves for more money.

That’s in the QB. Ravens game he did get a bomb and his helmet came off and he still caught it. Nothing wrong with adding in the draft but that doesn’t mean you subtract Pittman.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You clearly haven’t heard Steichen talk about Pittman. Lol. There is no difference in Higgins and Pittman. They are twins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/michael-pittman-jr-ive-loved-my-time-with-colts-but-want-to-explore-options

"“I made it this far, so I’ve loved my four years here. But I wouldn’t be doing my due diligence if I didn’t explore every option and find the best fit,” Pittman said, via Stephen Holder of ESPN.com""

I dont blame him. I think hes better than hes been given credit for and has been held back tremendously by the QB situation here. Hes had what? 6 or 7 different QBs in his 4 years here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont blame him. I think hes better than hes been given credit for and has been held back tremendously by the QB situation here. Hes had what? 6 or 7 different QBs in his 4 years here?

That’s why I am so excited to see him with Richardson.  I will never forget how good he was as a deep threat with Carson. Remembering all the under thrown balls that drew a PI still makes me laugh. He caught some big ones too.

Just now, Superman said:

What's the difference between Higgins and Pittman?

Higgins in dynamic. When Chase was injured, he took the over the number # 1 role and blossomed. He has proven he can be a true #1 lining up against elite corners and still being productive. Pittman is a good #2 at best and nothing wrong with that. I just dont think he is worth what he is going to want.  I could be wrong, but I truly believe if the Colts thought that qbing was the reason for Pittman not reaching that elite  status, they would have resigned him by now. He is tall, average speed and I just dont think they are going to invest top money in that type of guy given what Richardson can do. We saw a little of that early with Pierce and Richardson.

3 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

i don't disagree with you that he has not had great qbing. I just dont see anything elite with Pittman that is going to make me pay 20 mill if that is what he wants. I think even with a healthy Richardson, you get the same type of plays from him. He is not going to dictate defenses and that is the guy i am looking for if i am paying number 1 money.  I truly believe that if Richardson was playing, we would have seen Pierce blossom and Pittman would have still been that good number 2 kind of possession reciever.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

1k yard Wr Donr grow on trees.

There was (27)WRs(28 players), that had over 1,000 yards this year. Plus a few more players knocking on the door. 

It doesn't mean the same as it used to. Players are trying to approach 2,000 these days(their goals) I think 1300yds is probably where that new upper echelon floor starts (7 above it, 1 few yards short for (8)). Justin Jefferson had 1,000 in 10 games this year. Keenan Allen almost 1,250 in 13 games.

1100 yards is fine(14th), but 5 slots lower than his targets rank is(9th most targets).

He also only has 15tds in 62 games.(487 targets)

I'm fine either way on Pittman. Franchise is probably the best option and if he gets a big offer we decide if we want to keep him or work out a trade with the team that offered him the deal.

I think I would feel better about a 2yr $36-$46m offer to Mike Evans.

• Like 5