Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman wants to explore options

w87r

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

Bur youre including his TDs from other seasons where Joe Burrow was fantastic and his targets were much higher.

The QB play is way more important than you are suggesting and Joe Burrow this year was still way better than anyone Pitt has got to play with. He hasnt had an opportunity to build any type of chemistry with a QB his entire career. 

Bottomline is, Pittman just doesn't do anything with his targets. 

I don't care who the QB is. You get that many opportunities you need to do something with them.

Chase has almost twice the TDs in almost 1/2 the amount of targets and 1 less season.

(3) fewer 1st downs gained in (219) fewer targets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Bur youre including his TDs from other seasons where Joe Burrow was fantastic and his targets were much higher.

The QB play is way more important than you are suggesting and Joe Burrow this year was still way better than anyone Pitt has got to play with. He hasnt had an opportunity to build any type of chemistry with a QB his entire career. 

If Higgins had more targets you would suggest its because he gets open more often.

No, it's because there isn't enough targets to go around for him to get that many as a 2nd option.

5 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

If Higgins had more targets you would suggest its because he gets open more often.

But he doesnt because chase is that good and has more plays for him.  Once again, going off the Pittman we’ve seen thus far because that’s all I can go off of…Pittman would probably be like a security blanket for burrow.  Pittman is better than Higgins so I do agree he would look better with burrow and chase, but I also think his stats would suffer because the ball would be getting spread around.  Don’t forget Boyd gets his also.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

I mean all FA players should be wanting to know their worth on the market. That isn't anything crazy. I doubt he goes anywhere this year. At worst, he gets tagged.

yep I think he knows that is coming too based on his comments today.  I think Pittman knows he’s going to be in Indy next year but this is part of negotiations.  If you just say yeah I am not leaving what incentive does Ballard have to pay him market value?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard would be stupid to let him go elsewhere unless he simply wants to be paid like Justin Jefferson or Tyreek Hill. If he’s reasonable with his contract demands he has to be back and there are no excuses from Ballard if he’s not in that case. 

Who is deciding what’s reasonable?

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Who is deciding what’s reasonable?

Apparently fans on a message board who are looking for reasons to not like Pittman.  I have a feeling Pittman and his agent won’t take the same approach to Pittman’s value.

• Like 1

Pittman was 5th in the league in catches this year with 109 and that’s with a backup QB. Last year, he was 10th in the league in catches with 99 with Matt Ryan who was out of his prime.

I think Pittman is a top 10 WR he just doesn’t have an elite QB to throw him the ball. He’s only 26 and very reliable and durable. If the Colts don’t pay him I think there are 8-10 teams that will. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Pittman was 5th in the league in catches this year with 109 and that’s with a backup QB. Last year, he was 10th in the league in catches with 99 with Matt Ryan who was out of his prime.

I think Pittman is a top 10 WR he just doesn’t have an elite QB to throw him the ball. He’s only 26 and very reliable and durable. If the Colts don’t pay him I think there are 8-10 teams that will. 

Exactly.  Your market is what teams will pay you not what fans feel a guy is worth.  If Pittman truly hits the open market he’s going to get a big contract from someone because players like him don’t reach free agency and then the Colts will have to figure out how to replace him and the fact he’s a third of the offense.  

I can guarantee that if the Colts truly let him go because they don’t want to pay him like some fans are saying some of those same fans will be ripping Ballard for not giving Richardson weapons and depending on Pierce to be the number one WR (which is what’s going to happen if you let Pittman leave) and how “bargain bin Ballard” was too cheap to sign Pittman.

• Like 3

Hopefully it's contract talk stuff but that would suck if he walked because we've got nothing on the receiver front after him.

No disrespect to Pierce and Downs but eeesh.

We need to add onto Pittman and those guys, not lose the best guy we've got.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

those same fans will be ripping Ballard for not giving Richardson weapons

That's half the appeal of this site.. Lol

Complaining about a guy being here, then complaining we didn't pay him if he leaves and /or complaining if we did re-sign them... Lol

I can already see the omg we paid what for Pittman!?!!?? Or that's all it took to sign him and we let him walk!??!?!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Bottomline is, Pittman just doesn't do anything with his targets. 

I don't care who the QB is. You get that many opportunities you need to do something with them.

Chase has almost twice the TDs in almost 1/2 the amount of targets and 1 less season.

(3) fewer 1st downs gained in (219) fewer targets.

Thats not true. He carried our passing game all year and had almost 1200 yards. 

You have a strange idea of "not doing anything".

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Burrow has thrown 600 passes in a season before, so I strongly disagree with that.

I agree I find it hard to believe there is enough passes for Higgins but wouldn’t be for Pittman if you swapped them.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think he means YAC. But Pittman is actually really good with YAC. Didn’t show it as much this year.

Hes talking about touchdowns, I think.

But touchdowns are either plays of over 20 yards, or redzone plays of less than 20 yards and both of those areas require elite ball placement from a QB to be successful.

Again, people are just talking down on Pitt because he doesnt play with a top QB. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Going to be funny when Pittman explodes with a guy that can actually throw down field. 

I don’t know about that.  That’s not his game.  That’s Pierce.  Pittman is the you have to have this catch move the chains guy.  A lot like Wayne the later part of his career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

But he doesnt because chase is that good and has more plays for him.  Once again, going off the Pittman we’ve seen thus far because that’s all I can go off of…Pittman would probably be like a security blanket for burrow.  Pittman is better than Higgins so I do agree he would look better with burrow and chase, but I also think his stats would suffer because the ball would be getting spread around.  Don’t forget Boyd gets his also.

I think Pittman would chew up single coverage if he faced it and be one of the top pass catchers in the league. 

He gets all the doubles playing on this team. People forget that. And hes still super productive 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

he is our top wr but would he be the top receiver for any of the playoff teams? that alone is part of why we didnt make the playoffs. we need some elite receivers

I bet the Chiefs would give their right arm for Michael Pittman right now with all their struggles at WR.  

also yeah he had better numbers than the Ravens, Packers, and, Steelers number one WR and similar numbers to the Bucs, Browns, Bills, and, Texans number one WR.  

so the numbers say he would have been the number one WR on about half the teams in the playoffs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree I find it hard to believe there is enough passes for Higgins but wouldn’t be for Pittman if you swapped them.

Higgins had 50 less targets than Pittman in Higgins highest targeted season.

Not that hard to see that Pittman wouldn't get #1 targets when he is the #2. Even less targets with a #3 as good as Boyd and (2) RBs that are good out of the backfield. Bengals like to use their TEs as well.

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

Hes talking about touchdowns, I think.

But touchdowns are either plays of over 20 yards, or redzone plays of less than 20 yards and both of those areas require elite ball placement from a QB to be successful.

Again, people are just talking down on Pitt because he doesnt play with a top QB. 

I'm talking about TDs, I'm taking about 1st downs, 1st downs on 3rd downs, broken tackles, YAC and more.

His accumulation is ok, but it isn't efficient.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But Pittman is actually really good with YAC.

He's really not. He gets a lot of catches, which accumulates YAC(513), but only 4.7yac per catch this season.

And that's with a 75yd screen play, which counts, but brings the production on the other 108 catches to 4.03yac per catch

Last year was 3.7 YAC per catch

4.0 YAC in 2021(with Wentz, who presses down the field also and was Pittman's best individual season)

7.3 YAC in his rookie season 2020, which was solid. With Rivers (best QB)

For the record. I've stated I would give him a 5yr $100m deal or the tag.

Just because his flaws are getting pointed out doesn't mean he's getting ran down. 

He has deficiencies and it's ok to point them out. I hope he is back, but he needs to step his game up once he gets the ball in his hands.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Not that hard to see that Pittman wouldn't get #1 targets when he is the #2. Even less targets with a #3 as good as Boyd and (2) RBs that are good out of the backfield. Bengals like to use their TEs as well.

I'm talking about TDs, I'm taking about 1st downs, 1st downs on 3rd downs, broken tackles, YAC and more.

He's really not. He gets a lot of catches, which accumulates YAC(513), but only 4.7yac per catch this season.

And that's with a 75yd screen play, which counts, but brings the production on the other 108 catches to 4.03yac per catch

4.0 YAC in 2021(with Wentz, who presses down the field also and was Pittman's best individual season)

Just because his flaws are getting pointed out doesn't mean he's getting ran down. 

He has deficiencies and it's ok to point them out. I hope he is back, but he needs to step his game up once he gets the ball in his hands.

Look I want Pittman re-sign you don’t.  You aren’t going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours so I am not going to waste my time trying.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Here we go with the "take away his 75 yard TD".......while we compare his numbers to guys and include their biggest plays.

Again, he plays with Gardner Minshew and faces tons of double teams, and Higgins doesnt. 

I dont think Higgins or Chase would approach Pittmans numbers if they played here under these circumstances. 

Good luck hauling in those passes downfield that just dont exist.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think he means YAC. But Pittman is actually really good with YAC. Didn’t show it as much this year.

Well, when the throws are at his numbers or forcing him to go to the ground or high or sometimes behind him, we can’t expect the same YAC he had with Rivers who led him real well in stride.

From a Colts point of view, we’re cornered. Pittman is the best we have and is a No.1 WR outside maybe a Top 10 bunch in the NFL, more like 1.5, that’s what he is.

4 years $90 million, get ready for it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, when the throws are at his numbers or forcing him to go to the ground or high or sometimes behind him, we can’t expect the same YAC he had with Rivers who led him real well in stride.

From a Colts point of view, we’re cornered. Pittman is the best we have and is a No.1 WR outside maybe a Top 10 bunch in the NFL, more like 1.5, that’s what he is.

Adding another WR threat doesn’t mean we have to get rid of Pittman. Especially if it’s a rookie. Yeah he probably will get that contract because it’s market value. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Happily.  The Colts don’t really have a choice here unless Ballard has some monster trade cooking like the Dolphins did with Hill a few years ago, and even then they already had Waddle or fans are willing to sit through more delayed gratification, which they love to mock, because that’s what you are going to get with a WR core that has Piece as the number one, Downs, and a rookie first round pick and a QB who has started all of four games in his NFL career.  

Also, if they let Pittman walk you are telegraphing to the world you are going WR with your first pick and that’s dangerous at 15 as there is plenty of chances of other WR needy teams to jump in front of you and get the guy you want.

• Like 3

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Happily.  The Colts don’t really have a choice here unless Ballard has some monster trade cooking like the Dolphins did with Hill a few years ago, and even then they already had Waddle or fans are willing to sit through more delayed gratification, which they love to mock, because that’s what you are going to get with a WR core that has Piece as the number one, Downs, and a rookie first round pick and a QB who has started all of four games in his NFL career.  

Plus I posted above you usually don’t even get a true one in FA. All the top receivers are trade it with their team that drafted them.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Plus I posted above you usually don’t even get a true one in FA. All the top receivers are trade it with their team that drafted them.

That’s why I am not even considering FA here.  Aside from Pittman what big star WR is going to be a free agent?  It sounds like the Bengals have promised Burrow they will keep Higgins and I doubt they are going to lie to their franchise QB and tick him off.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You don’t know what you have until it’s gone. It’s not like the Seahawks with the LOB had first round WRs (Tate, Kearse, Baldwinnetc.) and the Patriots worked the underneath with Edelman and Gronk (2nd rounder) till they methodically gave knockout punches. If you get it right with the QB and OL, you can win with the WRs 1.5s of the world. :) 

Heck, the Steelers JuJu and AB, neither were first rounders. OL and play calling wins in this league.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You don’t know what you have until it’s gone. It’s not like the Seahawks with the LOB had first round WRs (Tate, Kearse, Baldwinnetc.) and the Patriots worked the underneath with Edelman and Gronk (2nd rounder) till they methodically gave knockout punches. If you get it right with the QB and OL, you can win with the WRs 1.5s of the world. :) 

Yep some Colts fans are real good at hating their own, not wanting to pay them market value, developing grass is greener on the other side syndrome for other players, and then blaming the GM if they let that player walk and that position is now a struggle.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep some Colts fans are real good at hating their own, not wanting to pay them market value, developing grass is greener on the other side syndrome for other players, and then blaming the GM if they let that player walk and that position is now a struggle.

Thats exactly what happened with Denico Autry. 

If you remember, he wasnt elite, his production could be replaced much cheaper and thats pretty much what happened. Ballard replaced him with Justin Houston, who produced. He replaced Houston with Ngakoue, who also produced. And then he replaced Ngakoue with Ebukam, who produced as well. 

But Autry has played very well in Tennessee and everytime he has a good game, it was basically an example of Ballards incompetence. 

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

Here we go with the "take away his 75 yard TD".......while we compare his numbers to guys and include their biggest plays

I literally said it still counts regardless.  What it doesn't do though, is increase the production he had on 108/109 catches. So great, his total is 4.7, but on more than 99% of his other catches, it is substantially lower. It is what it is. I just want him to do more with it when he gets it, more consistently.

3 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Again, he plays with Gardner Minshew and faces tons of double teams, and Higgins doesnt. 

Do you have these actual numbers or are you just saying what you think? 

I found something from 2022, only showed top 5, none of these guys were on it.

Maybe @Solid84can find those numbers?

Chase played with an injured Burrow for the most part and a backup as well.

5 hours ago, coming on strong said:

it didnt sound like it to me he said we are a rpo offense and his skill is for deep balls .   i think he wants to stretch the field more .

His skill is for deep balls?!?    Are we talking about the same Michael Pittman Jr?    

I like the guy and hope we find a way to keep him, but he’s much more a possession receiver than a deep receiver.   

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

His skill is for deep balls?!?    Are we talking about the same Michael Pittman Jr?    

I like the guy and hope we find a way to keep him, but he’s much more a possession receiver than a deep receiver.   

watch his press conference that is how he feels .   that is why he liked wentz all those deep shots . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If a team with a more established QB wants to pay him then it makes sense for him to go there tbh

I want him back and im not worried about the contract but if i were him i'd want to hear what kind of offers are out there

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Did we throw him any bombs this weekend? I like him, I'm fine if he stays but I'm not afraid to groom a couple young guys who are better athletes if he leaves for more money.

You really think Ballard lets Pittman walk out the front door?   For nothing?!?   

I think the Colts would tag Pitt and try to work out a longer deal with a lower cap hit. 

• Like 1