Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What are the colts?

CR91

On 12/5/2023 at 10:13 PM, JediXMan said:

Excited Cat GIF

This team is why more exciting and fun to watch than last year. Shame they haven’t been on National television. Some of the craziest games this season involved the Colts like last week.

I’m okay with us flying under the radar a bit this season. If Richardson grows into the QB we all hope he does, we’ll have plenty of prime time games for years to come.

• Thanks 1

I understand who they want to be with Richardson.  I have no idea, however, what Minshew is or what Steichen is trying to do with him, but somehow they are winning.  Initially I thought Minshew would play somewhat like Hasselbeck, but that's not been the case.  

Seems like we have some in here that don't like Minshew for whatever reason, but I re-sign him at least to a 1-year deal. Pay him well for 1 year, just for security to still have a great backup for AR. If AR goes down again next year and Minshew isn't here, we are screwed. I have faith in AR but look at all the QB's getting injured this year and a lot of them are considered pocket passers. So you never know. Rodgers, Burrow, Cousins, Lawrence just to name 4. Lawrence will probably play in a couple of weeks, but no way will he be 100%. A high ankle sprain is the worst ankle sprain you can get. The other 3 have been toast for a while. 

• Like 3

On 12/5/2023 at 8:55 PM, CR91 said:

This is a very puzzling question because on one hand the colts have won 4 in a row (should be 5 and 6 out of 7), but is this a team maturing before our eyes or are the colts beating opponents we should beat? Lets break it down.

What has changed from years prior?

As cliché as this sounds, I think the biggest change started in the locker room. The years with Reich, it just seemed like there were always issues festering with no accountability and you saw it on the field. The team eventually just stopped caring and you show it year after year. The play suffered time and time again. You look at Shane, hes had to deal with all the JT drama, losing Richardson early in the season, the consistent injuries on the line both offense and defense and yet the team doesn't look lost. Hes kept them together and thats something you just didn't see from Reich. When things were going wrong, they stayed like that. Shane has taken this team and given them something I don't think they've had in the coaching for a long time, confidence. That no matter what the problem is, they will navigate through it and get better. A lot of teams not having their best player and starting QB for the majority of the season would not have the success the colts have and yes can the offense play better? Of course, but they stay in games and make the plays when they matter most and I credit that to Shane and the culture hes building.

Who are we as a team?

Heres what I believe the colts were supposed to be and heres what I think the colts currently are. Richardson and Taylor were supposed to be the driving force of the offense. That was evident with how the colts were using Richardson before he got hurt and unfortunately we didn't get to see what Richardson and Taylor could be together this season. The defense has picked up were it left off last season. Creating havoc with the front and playing drop coverage in the backend. The biggest difference this year is, their not on the field as much because the offense can't move the ball. What this team is predicates on the situation and that is another thing you can say Shane does well. Unlike Reich, Shane isn't stubborn with his way of thinking. If something isn't working, he finds another way to make it work. I can't say the colts are a blank team that does x y z well because it seems like its something new every week. Defense is struggling, offense carries them until they can make tough stops. Offense is stalling? Defense keeps them in the game until they get going. Its frustration football, but its also beautiful at the same time because you just don't know what you're getting week in and week out.

What are the colts?

In my opinion, the colts are a team maturing before our very eyes. The constant pass rush we've needed for so long has finally started to show up. The o-line is returning the form with new young players stepping up like Raimann, Fries, and Freeland. Players like Pitt who will know can be a star is playing like the WR1 we all know he is along with guys like Downs, Granson, Moss, and even Pierce this past week all making contributions to help Minshew manage the offense. All of this is coming together and even if we don't make the playoffs, the future of the colts is brighter then its been for a very long time. I can actually say for the first time since Luck retired, I have hope. 

Were 7-5 in a season with a favourable schedule. I wouldn't read too much more into that. Were winning close games that have been lost in recent years, part of that is having a decent coach so far compared to who coached previously. 

Hopefully it will continue, hopefully with a healthy AR5 and linear improvement the future will indeed be bright. But the NFL doesn't always work that way. Colts are currently above .500 and in the playoff hunt and that is reason for enjoyment, so lets just enjoy the current situation because in the nfl, especially teams like the colts, there's no guarantee what the future brings.

I remember in '95 we were a young talented team that came just one play from the Super Bowl. Two seasons later we were 3-13. 

But the '95 season AND playoff run was most  enjoyable and one that some here will never forget. Maybe Minshew can play Harbaugh's role and do as well or even better. LoL

• Like 2

The Colts are doing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than anyone gave them credit for...including me. 

I thought we'd win 4-5 games and here we are in the playoff hunt w/o a backup QB, starting RB and CB. 

Steichen is the real deal. 

I'm excited for the future of this franchise with him at the helm. 

• Like 1

The Colts are pretty much the same team they were the last two years.  Only this year, the close games they would have lost, they've been winning.  And I chalk that up to better coaching.

But they're still a team built inside-out.  Better players at the non-peak positions.

I believe Ballard is starting to correct that.  But the transformation isn't complete.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

The Colts are doing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than anyone gave them credit for...including me. 

I thought we'd win 4-5 games and here we are in the playoff hunt w/o a backup QB, starting RB and CB. 

Steichen is the real deal. 

I'm excited for the future of this franchise with him at the helm. 

I had 19-0 and saw 11-6 as possibility due to schedule 

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

The Colts are pretty much the same team they were the last two years.  Only this year, the close games they would have lost, they've been winning.  And I chalk that up to better coaching.

But they're still a team built inside-out.  Better players at the non-peak positions.

I believe Ballard is starting to correct that.  But the transformation isn't complete.

I agree we need another  elite wr. I think tes are good but are sometimes  forgotten. Another piece to the oline and cb room couldn't  hurt

• Like 1

The Colts are definitely an over achieving streaky team that is playing an easy schedule and finding out they have a good coach and solid OL/DL. The games are fun to watch and different players and position groups are stepping up during this win streak. I do worry about how they can sustain this momentum down the stretch. These last five games will truly show how good our coaching staff is. We will probably only face one QB who is clearly better than Minshew. It will become a chess game and exploiting matchups and putting our players in positions to succeed. 

• Like 1

Is the schedule really that easy?  The reason I'm saying this is that there seems to be more and more parity in the NFL with a lot of teams close to the .500 level.  Sure, the Colts aren't playing Dallas, SF, KC, Philly, but they are winning close games and they did beat Baltimore.  Just my 2 cents worth.  

1 hour ago, tomloge1 said:

Is the schedule really that easy?  The reason I'm saying this is that there seems to be more and more parity in the NFL with a lot of teams close to the .500 level.  Sure, the Colts aren't playing Dallas, SF, KC, Philly, but they are winning close games and they did beat Baltimore.  Just my 2 cents worth.  

Baltimore- an All-time record 4 50+ yard field goals is representative of offense futility. So Baltimore inexplicably shut down in  2nd half their QB running us in circles. So they didn't play well, took us for granted. We didn't play well yet won. It happens.

Parity? Any year there are maybe 10 pretty good  + teams then a bunch of mediocre to not good at all. We are playing a 4-13 schedule with a lot of QB mediocrity on their part and ours. 

We are well coached and the ball is bouncing our way a little bit. Yay!

43 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Baltimore- an All-time record 4 50+ yard field goals is representative of offense futility. So Baltimore inexplicably shut down in  2nd half their QB running us in circles. So they didn't play well, took us for granted. We didn't play well yet won. It happens.

Parity? Any year there are maybe 10 pretty good  + teams then a bunch of mediocre to not good at all. We are playing a 4-13 schedule with a lot of QB mediocrity on their part and ours. 

So, enjoy it while you can.  Goodness knows the ball has bounced the other way for this team in the past.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well, I see it differently.  Most of the NFL sucks.  Lots of close to .500 teams.  And lots of close games decided in the final minute or two or OT.  To me that's parity.  To each his own.  All I know is I'm enjoying the wins and their play.   Of course, some of their play does suck, but overall they're an improving tema.   They're definitely doing better than a lot of people expected.  

1 hour ago, tomloge1 said:

Well, I see it differently.  Most of the NFL sucks.  Lots of close to .500 teams.  And lots of close games decided in the final minute or two or OT.  To me that's parity.  To each his own.  All I know is I'm enjoying the wins and their play.   Of course, some of their play does suck, but overall they're an improving tema.   They're definitely doing better than a lot of people expected.  

So you see it about the same! I see about 10 teams that should win 9- 12 games and 22 that should win 5-8. Turnovers and penalties, maybe the refs, or bounces of the ball separate the mediocrity.

I see improvement in Raimann, Fries, Kwity, Pittman has locked in all-around dog status, Moore has reproven himself, Ogletree is promising, maybe Pierce. Dayo, and Blackman some. Our little slot guy has a definite place.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:10 AM, throwing BBZ said:

I really don't think Baltimore took us for granted. We just outplayed them that day. Why is it some fans in here say when we win close games, we are lucky or the ball bounced our way but yet last year when we went 4-12-1 and lost 3 games by 1 point, our FG kicker missed a FG causing a tie, and we lost another in OT, it is we deserved to lose, that the other team just beat us, and no luck was involved? Really in 2022 we could have easily gone 9-8, we lost 4 games where we had the lead late in the 4th Qtr and just blew those games. The other our FG kicker missed an easy kick that should have been a win. 

What you are saying about us, I can say about 20 other teams. As in they get lucky a lot, they barley win, so they aren't that good. Sooner or later some in here need to start giving us credit for winning the games we win, because maybe we deserved to win them and we are a good team and don't suck like many thought - now that is a thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

So you see it about the same! I see about 10 teams that should win 9- 12 games and 22 that should win 5-8. Turnovers and penalties, maybe the refs, or bounces of the ball separate the mediocrity.

I see improvement in Raimann, Fries, Kwity, Pittman has locked in all-around dog status, Moore has reproven himself, Ogletree is promising, maybe Pierce. Dayo, and Blackman some. Our little slot guy has a definite place.

I guess we see it sort of the same, just different wording by each of us.  When I say there is a lot of parity, I mean that a lot of the teams are fairly equal. Of course there are some great ones that are on top and the ones at the bottom are incredibly bad.  

7 minutes ago, tomloge1 said:

I guess we see it sort of the same, just different wording by each of us.  When I say there is a lot of parity, I mean that a lot of the teams are fairly equal. Of course there are some great ones that are on top and the ones at the bottom are incredibly bad.  

Yeah, being a Colts fan, I am obviously not going to sit here and say we are better than Baltimore. I picked the Ravens to win the SB before the season started but I do think we played a very smart game against them and we got the W. Matt Gay is arguably the best kicker in the league, so really him making all those kicks wasn't even a fluke. 

If I had to list the teams better than us in the AFC, I would say Ravens, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jags in the AFC. With Burrow out I can't include Cincy but yet they may beat us tomorrow because we are due for a loss. Bills for some reason just don't have it this year. So, we are arguably the 5th best team, we got cheated out of the Browns game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't think Baltimore took us for granted. We just outplayed them that day. Why is it some fans in here say when we win close games, we are lucky or the ball bounced our way but yet last year when we went 4-12-1 and lost 3 games by 1 point, our FG kicker missed a FG causing a tie, and we lost another in OT, it is we deserved to lose, that the other team just beat us, and no luck was involved? Really in 2022 we could have easily gone 9-8, we lost 4 games where we had the lead late in the 4th Qtr and just blew those games. The other our FG kicker missed an easy kick that should have been a win. 

What you are saying about us, I can say about 20 other teams. As in they get lucky a lot, they barley win, so they aren't that good. Sooner or later some in here need to start giving us credit for winning the games we win, because maybe we deserved to win them and we are a good team and don't suck like many thought - now that is a thought.

Actually I didn't say teams get lucky a lot and win. For most, I Clearly explained their are a variety of things that go on every game that separates winning from losing. Turnover being the biggie. We got clobbered in regulation last game 25 -15 with Gardner being exasperating time and again. 

The QB room video showed why, bad footwork, indecisiveness, repeated heal clicking, poor decisions. The blocked punts were great ( got their coach fired) and we knocked their holder out so we didn't lose in regulation because of the missed extra.  Great win by a good team?

Our HC and his staff are doing a good job in their 1st year. We are plus in turnovers, our lines are above average, and we have a designed weaker schedule for parity purposes. That's Us, and win or lose we hope to see some things going on that gives us hope for a brighter future. 

Like playing a tough schedule, playing well and beating a number of those good teams in the regular season and then having expectations that a AFC Championship game is very possible. 

Right now we are a mile away from that. Richardson is going to have to be very good to make us that team. And we need several more studs.  lol

I watch a fair amount of NFL, and compared to 15-20 years ago and further back, the 8-8 teams were usually rather good on one side of the ball. Nowadays I would say the bottom 20 teams don’t shine at mutch of anything. I struggle to watch that kind of football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Actually I didn't say teams get lucky a lot and win. For most, I Clearly explained their are a variety of things that go on every game that separates winning from losing. Turnover being the biggie. We got clobbered in regulation last game 25 -15 with Gardner being exasperating time and again. 

The QB room video showed why, bad footwork, indecisiveness, repeated heal clicking, poor decisions. The blocked punts were great ( got their coach fired) and we knocked their holder out so we didn't lose in regulation because of the missed extra.  Great win by a good team?

Our HC and his staff are doing a good job in their 1st year. We are plus in turnovers, our lines are above average, and we have a designed weaker schedule for parity purposes. That's Us, and win or lose we hope to see some things going on that gives us hope for a brighter future. 

Like playing a tough schedule, playing well and beating a number of those good teams in the regular season and then having expectations that a AFC Championship game is very possible. 

Right now we are a mile away from that. Richardson is going to have to be very good to make us that team. And we need several more studs.  lol

I watch a fair amount of NFL, and compared to 15-20 years ago and further back, the 8-8 teams were usually rather good on one side of the ball. Nowadays I would say the bottom 20 teams don’t shine at mutch of anything. I struggle to watch that kind of football.

Yeah that is fair. I also tend to think good teams find a way to win close games somehow and bad teams find a way to lose close games. Strange but true.

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Love it! Pittman - the All - Around Dog.

• Like 1

Baby horses of course!  Okay bad jokes aside the Colts are a young team punching above their weight with some major injuries thanks in large part to an easy schedule.  It is what it is and I plan to just enjoy the ride.  They have already surpassed my expectations for the year and that was before I lowered them after Richardson got hurt.  The Colts are as one of the joke power rankings calls them “frisky” and that’s refreshing after last year.

• Like 4

Who are the COLTS? they are the quiet one that is always picked on then one day snaps and shows the whole world why you should fear the unpredictable quite kid. The colts are strong in the areas that counts to protect the weak areas where we should win.Is it sloppy, YES, but its honest football and its winning games. As one of the youngest teams on the field sloppiness will get cleaned up. Great job Shane and the boys lets keep going!

• Like 1