Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is AR the future of the NFL?

Colt.45

Irsay said Richardson has already demonstrated leadership, maturity, intelligence, calm “way beyond his 21 years of age” and athletic ability during his early days in Indianapolis. The team owner believes his quarterback flashed sufficient ability to suggest he could have contended with Houston Texansquarterback C.J. Stroud in a race for rookie of the year honors.

“I really see those two guys being the future of the league,” Irsay said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/as-colts-shut-down-anthony-richardson-for-season-dont-underestimate-lessons-learned-from-andrew-luck-202315037.html

• Like 2

I am scared to admit Irsay's point might be nailed on because if the young man works out, the combination of physical and throwing ability is potentially league altering. Josh Allen with serious wheels is pretty cartoonish. I think the Colts feel they've seen enough to realize what AR could be as they carry him along

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he will end up being good, whether he ends up great only time will tell. He has stay healthy though to even be good. Next season will tell us a lot. 

Josh Allen had a similar unconvincing rookie year and he got injured too, but he came back to play the season.

As for AR, apart from injury, he's been convincing so far, and only time will tell from the health standpoint. 

And for AR, when he gets healthy to play a full season, he'll have to take the next step to start winning games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Bob Sanders I mean Anthony Richardson can stay healthy and show improvement on his feet placement when throwing then yes. He also might want to get his knee cleaned up as well. He wears a brace on it, however from a recent image I seen there looks to be loose tissue still in the knee. 

Scoring is down this year and I think defences r catching up to some of what the offences are doing. I think shot gun formation is getting a little stale and predictable. I wouldn't be surprised if u see teams going back to a more traditional qb in the coming years. Place him under center and

relying less on athleticism and more on be able to deliver the ball.

I don’t even know if he is the future of the Colts. He played ok, flashed some great moments but struggled in others. Who knows if he will stay healthy once he recovers. Probably should but there has been enough to at least ask the question. I will say if the Colts season bottoms out and we are in a position to draft another QB high, we need to at least take a look at them and decide for ourselves who will be better long term. 

AR played some great quarters in the few games he was out there.  Saw enough of the good Im behind the team if they choose to build around him. He still has a long way to go with his arm and decision making. Should be fun watching him develop. 

6 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t even know if he is the future of the Colts. He played ok, flashed some great moments but struggled in others. Who knows if he will stay healthy once he recovers. Probably should but there has been enough to at least ask the question. I will say if the Colts season bottoms out and we are in a position to draft another QB high, we need to at least take a look at them and decide for ourselves who will be better long term. 

AR played some great quarters in the few games he was out there.  Saw enough of the good Im behind the team if they choose to build around him. He still has a long way to go with his arm and decision making. Should be fun watching him develop. 

That's the thing. He certainly had flashes, but we knew he would do that. What we also saw was inconsistency from drive to drive, quarter to quarter, half to half.

Week 1: Played in the 1H against JAC and then his passing cratered in the 2H

Week 2: Two TD drives to start and then two 3-and-outs...leaves game

Week 4: Bad 1H and great 2H in a comeback effort

Week 5: Good start...but then the injury

In the games he was knocked out, he was playing well. So that's what people remember. In the LAR game, he played well in the 2H, so that's what people remember. We never really got to see him adjust or see other teams adjust. And it's not like the Colts offense was lighting it up with him on the field. 

So while there are things to be excited about, some of the advanced stats paint a different picture. And I just don't see how a small sample size of games has convinced 99% of the fanbase that is indeed the future. Not to mention that he still has to recover and get back to 100% from a shoulder surgery.

If the Colts' season tanks and they find themselves in position, they have to consider a QB. But that likely won't happen.

What could happen though, is that they draft a project QB on Day 2...somebody with a similar playing style. That will provide insurance and continuity to the offense. Plus, then they won't have to pay Minshew a bunch of money (which he should absolutely be asking for since he's playing 85% of the season).

• Like 3

Irsay is prone to hyperbole / PR statements (anyone recall his comical “All chips in” tweet after the 2021 season) which are really meant to serve as salesmanship so his words don’t really mean much to me.

AR has shown some flashes and is better at some aspects of QB play than what I expected but the reality is that he has not had nearly any appropriate sample size of play to accurately determine what he is going to be or give him the experience/trial by fire moments to build on for his development.  

I personally would not draft or think about drafting another QB no matter where we end up in next years draft, but the bottom line is he does need to show he can be healthy over a full course of the season .

• Like 1

Running qbs could be the future, i dont think its set in stone though

People would have to accept that they are just not going to last as long as pocket passers and maybe thats ok.  I would be fine with them not playing as long but a lot of people still to really want 15 year starters over a runner 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

That's the thing. He certainly had flashes, but we knew he would do that. What we also saw was inconsistency from drive to drive, quarter to quarter, half to half.

In the games he was knocked out, he was playing well. So that's what people remember. In the LAR game, he played well in the 2H, so that's what people remember. We never really got to see him adjust or see other teams adjust. And it's not like the Colts offense was lighting it up with him on the field. 

So while there are things to be excited about, some of the advanced stats paint a different picture. And I just don't see how a small sample size of games has convinced 99% of the fanbase that is indeed the future. Not to mention that he still has to recover and get back to 100% from a shoulder surgery.

If the Colts' season tanks and they find themselves in position, they have to consider a QB. But that likely won't happen.

What could happen though, is that they draft a project QB on Day 2...somebody with a similar playing style. That will provide insurance and continuity to the offense. Plus, then they won't have to pay Minshew a bunch of money (which he should absolutely be asking for since he's playing 85% of the season).

The thing is, this season was about focusing on the good with regards to AR. Does his ability show? Can he make plays like in college? Does he learn from his mistakes? We KNEW he’d have bad games. Focusing on that is just the wrong approach with a rookie - goes for any position really. 

I’m not saying he’s the future by the way. But, for a guy whos played 16-17 games of football total he’s shown huge promise. We’ve seen guys with years of college football look a lot worse than him coming into the NFL. That’s reason enough for me to not immediately start looking for a new QB. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Thanks for the thorough reply. I’ve mentioned it once I believe, but try to keep this to myself bc the board overwhelmingly is positive on the guy.  I don’t think AR is going to work out for us long term. He may put up a few good years but I think injuries will take away his athleticism for 2-5 games minimum every year. Come playoff time(if we ever make it with him starting), if he gets banged up I’m not sure his arm will be able to carry us through.  This style of QB is new to the modern NFL so it’s really hard to judge. All I can really do is wait and see what happens. Still, I would much prefer a pocket passer with mobility than a super athletic freak that is still learning how to throw the ball accurately. 

13 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thanks for the thorough reply. I’ve mentioned it once I believe, but try to keep this to myself bc the board overwhelmingly is positive on the guy.  I don’t think AR is going to work out for us long term. He may put up a few good years but I think injuries will take away his athleticism for 2-5 games minimum every year. Come playoff time(if we ever make it with him starting), if he gets banged up I’m not sure his arm will be able to carry us through.  This style of QB is new to the modern NFL so it’s really hard to judge. All I can really do is wait and see what happens. Still, I would much prefer a pocket passer with mobility than a super athletic freak that is still learning how to throw the ball accurately. 

Who did you want the Colts to draft this year?

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Stroud but he was gone. I was also ok with Levis but not at 4, but trading down into the late first to do it. Ultimately I would have preferred Stroud or no one. Colts kind of backed themselves into a corner where they had to take someone or the fan base would have gone nuts. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Completely off topic but related to the QB position. I’ve stated a couple times this team messed up by not trading up for Tua or Herbert. They over estimated how good the team really was and went “all in” with Buckner and Rivers. I thought we were in position to move up to 4 and get a franchise guy. I wanted Tua that year. Would have been expensive but I would rather have Tua than Buckner, Paye and possibly another pick around the 3rd who was Blackmon that year. 

Choosing not to reset and draft someone after Luck retired could ultimately set this franchise back a decade. Nothing but speculation on my end and what is done is done. Just not happy we went through all the mess and on our 2nd coach to end up with relying on keeping AR healthy enough to use his athleticism to make plays when the regular season beats the heck out of players. Just seems like wishful thinking to expect AR to not get nicked up. Unless he develops rapidly as a passer, any kind of lower body injury that slightly hobbles him will hold this offense back. Now we have the shoulder. Just not a good place to be. 

16 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Completely off topic but related to the QB position. I’ve stated a couple times this team messed up by not trading up for Tua or Herbert. They over estimated how good the team really was and went “all in” with Buckner and Rivers. I thought we were in position to move up to 4 and get a franchise guy. I wanted Tua that year. Would have been expensive but I would rather have Tua than Buckner, Paye and possibly another pick around the 3rd who was Blackmon that year. 

Choosing not to reset and draft someone after Luck retired could ultimately set this franchise back a decade. Nothing but speculation on my end and what is done is done. Just not happy we went through all the mess and on our 2nd coach to end up with relying on keeping AR healthy enough to use his athleticism to make plays when the regular season beats the heck out of players. Just seems like wishful thinking to expect AR to not get nicked up. Unless he develops rapidly as a passer, any kind of lower body injury that slightly hobbles him will hold this offense back. Now we have the shoulder. Just not a good place to be. 

Thanks for replying. I hear you, but what should give fans hope is that AR is very young yet he has shown poise, has played much better than expected, and has a good work ethic. I think he will put in the work to improve. He is only 21!!  Unlike other QBs that play that style of football, he is not looking to run first ; he seems to look to pass unless there are designed runs called.

I like him a lot. My only concern is that he is getting hurt too much. He will get better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for replying. I hear you, but what should give fans hope is that AR is very young yet he has shown poise, has played much better than expected, and has a good work ethic. I think he will put in the work to improve. He is only 21!!  Unlike other QBs that play that style of football, he is not looking to run first ; he seems to look to pass unless there are designed runs called.

I like him a lot. My only concern is that he is getting hurt too much. He will get better.

I do have hope for him. He had some good moments.  If he can find what works for him to improve his consistency he could be a good player. Sucks we have to wait until next year. It’s going to be difficult for him to shake off the rust from so much missed time while also trying to learn the position. I will say the injury does have a silver lining. He will get a lot of reps rehabbing and hopefully he uses that to tighten up his mechanics. He could come out of this a better thrower. Looking forward to seeing what happens next year. 

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’ve stated a couple times this team messed up by not trading up for Tua or Herbert

Would have been expensive and there were a lot of question marks around both.  It would have cost so much that Ballards job is on the line if he paid that much to trade up and neither was seen as a sure thing

• Like 1