Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Rams post game thread

Solid84

@GoColts8818 Usually does this, but I didn't see the thread yet.

Good:

• AR – His arm got us back in the back. Of course, he still needs to work on accuracy, but HE got us back in the game.
  • Ogletree - The guy just produces. Get him on the field more often! Get him the ball!
  • Moss - Didn’t get enough carries during the first half, he got some tough yards during the 2nd and he some good runs.
  • HEART – again our guys played their pants off. Just fell short today.

Bad:

• WRs – It’s obvious some of it is AR’s accuracy. Some of it is AR being told to read 1-2 then throw it away or run. But man I really want to see our guys to start making the tough catches. Pittman and Pierce both left big plays on the field today.
  • Secondary - *turd-alert*
  • I’ll be honest and say Steichen didn’t help our guys today.
  • Matt Gay missed a chance for us to win it, indirectly.

Horrible:

• The refs. Get that crew out of the NFL. Pittman got robbed of a TD play by that facemask. The least they could do was give us the deserved PI call.
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Good:

• AR – His arm got us back in the back. Of course, he still needs to work on accuracy, but HE got us back in the game.
  • Ogletree - The guy just produces. Get him on the field more often! Get him the ball!
  • Moss - Didn’t get enough carries during the first half, he got some tough yards during the 2nd and he some good runs.

Bad:

• WRs – It’s obvious some of it is AR’s accuracy. Some of it is AR being told to read 1-2 then throw it away or run. But man I really want to see our guys to start making the tough catches. Pittman and Pierce both left big plays on the field today.

Horrible:

• The refs. Get that crew out of the NFL. Pittman got robbed of a TD play by that facemask. The least they could do was give us the deserved PI call.

Pretty much agree with all of this.  

Unfortunately, Pep Hamilton returned on our final drive.  We had two timeouts and plenty of time.  Should have run the ball, run Richardson, done some high percentage stuff.  Just move the chains.

To date, I can't say Steichen has knocked my socks off as a play caller.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Good:

Bad:

Horrible:

Rams also had a misses FG, so that nullifies our mis, IMHO.  We did miss the opportunity of a FG try with just over 3 mins. left in the 3rd Qtr.  Went for it on 4th and missed....I will say the penalty on Speed in the first Qtr. killed a 3 and out and set the tone our team the first half.  Just sloppy.  Another career day for a WR against us.....just makes me cringe.  Regardless of the loss, AR is mature for his age.  Made some excellent throws, and that 2 point conversation pass was special.

• Like 1

AR can throw really well on the move.

He keeps his eyes downfield and  I'm impressed with his quick release (i.e., on the Mo' toss).

This team is still a young team learning how to win.  It showed today.

May be time to look at Cross getting more playing time at Safety?

Steichen learning how to win as well.  I would have gone for the 3 as well, but who knows what happens after that?  We may

have gone the rest of the game without any more scores.  Can't predict it.  Just have to live with it.

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Good:

Bad:

Horrible:

2nd game in a row that Pittman had his facemask grabbed and the refs looked the other way. I officially hate the officials. 

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He had a big catch today.

Oline looked ok with the backups. Wasn’t a disaster.

That catch was big time.  I still dont agree he should have caught the ball where he got hit hard.  And I gave him crap for not holding onto the ball last week.   It was just a really good play and the ball was high.  Had it been lower, closer to his body, I bet he makes that grab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He had a big catch today.

Oline looked ok with the backups. Wasn’t a disaster.

He had a very good catch today, but also missed one that hit him in both hands.  His strength was high-pointing the ball.  That was one that he could have hauled in as it was to his strength.  I am definitely losing all confidence in him.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That field goal missed and not taking 3 points proved to be costly. Bur that is just hindsight.

I don’t consider it hindsight. I questioned it in real-time. 

We have one of the highest paid kickers in the league and he just hit from 50+ a record setting amount of times.

That was not the time to call a 7 yard play with the offense. It was not operating smoothly at that time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Rams also had a misses FG, so that nullifies our mis, IMHO.  We did miss the opportunity of a FG try with just over 3 mins. left in the 3rd Qtr.  Went for it on 4th and missed....I will say the penalty on Speed in the first Qtr. killed a 3 and out and set the tone our team the first half.  Just sloppy.  Another career day for a WR against us.....just makes me cringe.  Regardless of the loss, AR is mature for his age.  Made some excellent throws, and that 2 point conversation pass was special.

What's even worse is that they don't have elite wrs. They just look for the soft spots in the zone.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

What's even worse is that they don't have elite wrs. They just look for the soft spots in the zone.

Kupp is elite when he plays. Puka is already the best rookie WR by far this year and has done it every game. They probably have two elite WRs tbh, only one of them played though and most casuals don't know him.

• Like 1

The stupid out of bounds hit on Stafford resulted in 7 points against instead of the 3rd down stop and getting the ball back. 

The helmet on helmet on defenseless receiver penalty.

The AR fumble. 

The missed FG.

4 plays that cost the win, but kudos for the comeback.  Defense just couldn’t get it done in OT. 

Team has to jump out to faster starts, moving forward. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Good:

Bad:

Horrible:

Forgot a few...

Good:

• Cox - that big TD started the whole come back. He gave good effort to get into the end zone as well.

Bad:

• Speed - That unnecessary roughness play was just so bad.
  • Defense as a whole NEEDS to work on tackling. Made the run defense terrible today.
  • Moore's helmet to helmet penalty. Ugh.
  • Like 1

Just now, IinD said:

Flowers looked like an Achilles injury, hopefully it's an ankle and he'll be back soon 

Steichen said ankle. We will see. Probably won’t play next week. Colts are facing another vet QB who can carve them up if they don’t play better.

Kudos to Oline. Only gave up one sack. The other was on Richardson.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Good:

Bad:

Horrible:

In the bad I would add the OL play, Richardson had pressure in his face all game.

Out of our current WRs we may see only Downs as a holdover next year and a complete new group, because right now our TEs are better at catching the ball.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Kupp is elite when he plays. Puka is already the best rookie WR by far this year and has done it every game. They probably have two elite WRs tbh, only one of them played though and most casuals don't know him.

Do u ever ask yourself this. Maybe Kupp and Puka are not elite and maybe just coached by an elite coach who knows  how to use him? Puka is just a guy at the right spot at the right time. 

For life of me I don’t understand why Dayo did not play 3 tech with Buckner out. The other two did not cut it

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

In the bad I would add the OL play, Richardson had pressure in his face all game.

Out of our current WRs we may see only Downs as a holdover next year and a complete new group, because right now our TEs are better at catching the ball.

One sack. The other was on Richardson. They held up pretty well.

12 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I don’t consider it hindsight. I questioned it in real-time. 

We have one of the highest paid kickers in the league and he just hit from 50+ a record setting amount of times.

That was not the time to call a 7 yard play with the offense. It was not operating smoothly at that time. 

This team isn’t good enough to not take high percentage FGs when available. We don’t need our HC working against us.

• Thanks 1

Anyone who watched the game saw the Rams defense get lazy in the second half. They basically allowed the Colts back in this game, which has been their problem all season (thus far). 

If I was the Colts Coaches this is the game where I use a long hard discussion on how to use AR moving forward.  He should be swapped out and utilized for short yardage plays only. His inaccuracy is horrendous and his unwillingness to slide will end his career quickly. He also needs to learn to read defenses. 11-25 passing, with the only completions being on single read throws says a lot. Hes not ready. Unless the Colts are looking for a high draft pick this coming year, they need to give the ball to Minshew.

A player who knows how to control the clock, manage the game and not turn the ball over, while energizing those around him. He not a “career backup” like people want to label him. He had a better rookie season than murray who won ROY with less weapons and had his career sabotaged by Jax coaches to guarantee they had TL in the following draft. Then he beat out TL and they traded him the following preseason. Irsay needs to step aside and let his coaches make their own decisions. 

AR is not Fields or Hurts. Both of them won and were successful in college. AR was not. And he still cant read defenses and relies on his legs too much. Time to start Minshew and use AR for situations where his athleticism will help to win games. Otherwise the “Not For Long” league will end his career fast. 

I never like to say "good loss," but this one would come close to one. This team will have growing pains, as 99% of teams will win some games they should've lost and vice versa. What pushed the Rams over us was an elite QB and WR.

At the end of the day, this year's team is a 8-11 win team, not 12-14, so I expect them to lose close games like this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do u ever ask yourself this. Maybe Kupp and Puka are not elite and maybe just coached by an elite coach who knows  how to use him? Puka is just a guy at the right spot at the right time. 

Nope. Because if it were that simple, then more than one rookie receiver would be this good this year. Someone like Zay Flowers would be breaking out today with Beckham and Bateman out. Quentin Johnson would be breaking out without Mike Williams. There's a lack of talent on the Giants at WR and Jalin Hyatt can't break out except a couple catches a game where it takes two or more deep passes to put up a decent statline.

• Like 3

I feel like this game summed us up pretty well.  We have some playmakers on both sides of the ball that can make some big plays when they get into the groove. 

The other side of the coin is that we are one of the youngest teams in the league and therefore we will make mistakes and lose games because of that. 

We are clearly a work in progress still so it was nice to see that we never gave up and actually had a chance to win a game that looked lost early on. 

At least its much more exciting to watch us play this year than it was last year but we will also lose games like this when the opposition manages to expose our weaknesses like our poor secondary. 

• Like 4