Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Guess Who’s in First Place in the AFC South!

Smonroe

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There's a lot of anti-OSU sentiment here.  Some have said that no OSU QB is ever good in the NFL.  Stroud may disprove that.  And I'm not sure Fields is done, he's just on a really bad team.

One poster (you know who you are!) said that they never want the Colts to draft any OSU players because they won't be good here.  Yeah, the Bosa brothers, Zeke, Garrett Wilson, and dozens others would have tanked with the Colts... sure.

BTW, Trey didn't look too bad for only being there a few days.

Stroud is the most accurate OSU QB I have ever seen. In the NFL, accuracy trumps most other QB characteristics. He has the chance to buck the Buckeye trend. He used his legs vs Georgia, only when he needed to, and folks wanted to use that as a tie-breaker to see if that was an aberration or could be considered a part of his strength. He is obviously smart enough to know what helps with his longevity at every level.

Fields wasn't as accurate as Stroud was, IMO. Fields has a Lamar Jackson like ceiling with his feet once his team and his throwing all get better, but Stroud will rely on his arm more and will have a better career.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I can.  We had Jacksonville in our grasp as well.  This team has a lot of talent and is very capable of winning a lot of games.  This rebuilding talk is nonsense.  We can play with anybody.  Improved coaching is already making a difference.  Our new free agent additions are contributing significantly.  I’m sure the players are focused on winning the division and making the playoffs as we should be.  I don’t view this year as a developmental year.  I think it could easily be a playoff year.

I just figured there would be more growing pains.  I think having a clutch kicker is huge though.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I just figured there would be more growing pains.  I think having a clutch kicker is huge though.

We have a complete team as in not 1 guy matters as long as the QB is above average to good and doesn't Turn it over. In week 1 we had no run game and still almost won but the cards were stacked against us. I always bash on Tannehill, the reason why is, he has a good team around him and a Hall of Fame RB. He turns the ball over though. 3 INT's vs Cincy with a chance to go to the Championship Game. That is unacceptable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Stroud is the most accurate OSU QB I have ever seen. In the NFL, accuracy trumps most other QB characteristics. He has the chance to buck the Buckeye trend. He used his legs vs Georgia, only when he needed to, and folks wanted to use that as a tie-breaker to see if that was an aberration or could be considered a part of his strength. He is obviously smart enough to know what helps with his longevity at every level.

Fields wasn't as accurate as Stroud was, IMO. Fields has a Lamar Jackson like ceiling with his feet once his team and his throwing all get better, but Stroud will rely on his arm more and will have a better career.

Stroud may be a better passer than Trevor Lawrence  already. I compared him to burrow pre draft and he is looking  legit

• Like 4

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

We’ve dropped one directly to the Jags, and we still have to go down there and play them again. Not sure how much many of you may know about the Colts winning in Jacksonville, but until we go down there and beat them we’re even with them at best. 

11 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Beat Jacksonville in Jacksonville and I'll believe

preach christina aguilera GIF

• Thanks 1

It's great to see the team competing and winning.   Still very early.  I still don't care about wins and losses.  Want to see AR develop onto a top tier QB by year 3.

But I certainly wouldn't complain about a playoff appearance. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 7:44 PM, richard pallo said:

I can.  We had Jacksonville in our grasp as well.  This team has a lot of talent and is very capable of winning a lot of games.  This rebuilding talk is nonsense.  We can play with anybody.  Improved coaching is already making a difference.  Our new free agent additions are contributing significantly.  I’m sure the players are focused on winning the division and making the playoffs as we should be.  I don’t view this year as a developmental year.  I think it could easily be a playoff year.

I've been trying to tell anyone who would listen all off-season ...  this team is loaded with past all pros and probowlers.....they didn't forget how to play football ..lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Have any of you seen the jags schedule coming up. They have their next two games in London. Then play colts right after that. Then have a short week. Then have their bye. That is a brutel schedule. This could be a good opportunity for Colts to really take stranglehold on the division.

I'm wondering  if the Texans may be the greatest  threat to us winning  the division  instead of the jags

• Like 1

• Nadine pinned this topic

The Jags are not showing anyone they are as good as most folks predicted. The Titans have a questionable QB. The Colts should improved weekly as AR slides more in to the groove and JT performs. The Texans are showing their schemes are working and they have a bunch of talent. To me they will be a real threat in our division.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

The Jags are not showing anyone they are as good as most folks predicted. The Titans have a questionable QB. The Colts should improved weekly as AR slides more in to the groove and JT performs. The Texans are showing their schemes are working and they have a bunch of talent. To me they will be a real threat in our division.

Tannehill is not really questionable. His front line has always been the problem. Hopefully for us Titans fans that continues to improve.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

He's ranked #30 so far this season Granted his OL is sloppy.

There's only one guy in the AFC South to make it to the AFC Championship game. And he had a much better O-line then. We won't be fully ready for another week or so. But hopefully it will be enough for tomorrow.

21 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

There's only one guy in the AFC South to make it to the AFC Championship game. And he had a much better O-line then. We won't be fully ready for another week or so. But hopefully it will be enough for tomorrow.

I don't see it. I think the division will come down to the Jags and Colts after what I seen today. Even if AR misses 2 or 3 games, Mustache with our running game can still win a game or 2. Henry didn't even look that good today. Hopkins is the only guy that was killing us. You guys had golden opportunities from 2019-2021 and Tannehill just folds in the playoffs. In 2021 against Cincy in the playoffs, his true colors came out then. You had the #1 seed and HFA throughout and still didn't do anything with it.

Jaguars are starting to pull out away from this division. I’ve been more impressed with their defense this year. They make you work for every yard. Good for them taking advantage of Lawrence rookie contract. Hopefully Ballard does the same with AR moving forward.

The Jags are currently the best team in the division, I have no problem admitting that. If I said otherwise, I would be a fool. It is simply a fact. They have the best QB in the division and best Coach in the division is the main reason. They also have a defense that bends more than it breaks. They bend but tend give up FG's instead of TD's more often than not.

Having said all that, nobody in here should be praising the Jags because they really have very little shot of ever winning a SB in this era. At best, Trevor Lawrence is the 6th best QB in the conference, that isn't going to cut the mustard. Mahomes, Burrow - when he's healthy, Allen, Tua, and Lamar are all better. The Jags also don't have a dominant defense, it is good but not dominant. 

There are certain people in here that were in love with the Titans because of the run they had from 2019-2021 (they were not winning jack with Tannehill at QB so I was never worried about them winning anything big), now the Jags will be there go to. Yet when we had Andrew Luck and won the division twice and made a long playoff run (2012-2014), it was always we should have and hardly anyone ever gave us any credit. Winning the Conference and a SB is hard, that is why I try to enjoy any win I can get each week and I am just happy if we make the playoffs. Point is, the Jags aren't going anywhere (as in winning the Conference or a SB), and everyone knows it, just like Tennessee didn't from 2019-2021. Win the Conference Championship and I will praise that. We did it twice with Peyton in 2006 and 2009. Win a SB like we did in 2006 and you join the Elite teams that have played all-time. 

• Like 1

History can only speak for itself and since the AFC South was created in 2002, here are the factual numbers:

Division Championships

Colts - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014 = 9

Texans - 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 = 6

Titans - 2002, 2008, 2020, 2021 = 4

Jags - 2017, 2022 = 2

Conference Championships

Colts - 2006, 2009 = 2

Texans - 0

Titans - 0

Jags - 0

SB Championships

Colts - 2006 = 1

Texans - 0

Titans - 0

Jags - 0

History is history, it doesn't lie. You can't take away what a team has accomplished to fit your narrative of 'what have you done for me lately'. It doesn't work like that. If that is the case, the Patriots 6 SB Championships shouldn't matter then from 2001-2018 because of they have stunk the last 4 seasons. If some in here want to ignore what the Colts have accomplished since the South was created, then they should never bring up the Pats again as being the greatest dynasty of all-time. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 10:20 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Jags are currently the best team in the division, I have no problem admitting that. If I said otherwise, I would be a fool. It is simply a fact. They have the best QB in the division and best Coach in the division is the main reason. They also have a defense that bends more than it breaks. They bend but tend give up FG's instead of TD's more often than not.

Jags are the future of this division.  They're going to get better and better as Pederson continues to bring Lawrence along.  

Colts have a chance to factor in but I am afraid we're talking second fiddle at best.  And that's iffy I think.  This is going to continue to be Irsay's circus until he kicks the bucket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Jags are the future of this division.  They're going to get better and better as Pederson continues to bring Lawrence along.  

Colts have a chance to factor in but I am afraid we're talking second fiddle at best.  And that's iffy I think.  This is going to continue to be Irsay's circus until he kicks the bucket.

I think they will be the team to beat for a while in the division, I agree there 100%. I just don't see them winning the Conference or a SB because Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, and Tua are all young and have much better teams. Ravens are even better as of now.

5 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

The end here is a pretty grim (albeit true) take, but I agree with this post in general lol 

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

....but still even then a 'Irsay' will inherit and how much better can that be? Lol

Al  Davis's son inherited and the Football Gods still don't smile on their fans. haha

• Shive unpinned this topic