Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans (week 2) post game thread

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Taylor comes back and plays for the colts and Richardson stays healthy this run game will be almost unstoppable.

Imagine having to read the option and pick between Richardson and Taylor?  That why I didn’t understand all the people that just said get ride of Taylor and why I think the Colts have been pretty stead fast they want him to stay and have even signaled they open to paying him at some point.  They know the offense could be deadly with him and Richardson.

• Like 3

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Imagine having to read the option and pick between Richardson and Taylor?  That why I didn’t understand all the people that just said get ride of Taylor and why I think the Colts have been pretty stead fast they want him to stay and have even signaled they open to paying him at some point.  They know the offense could be deadly with him and Richardson.

Hopefully Taylor is watching and feels the same way.  

1 minute ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i said before stroud was the best passer in the draft and a quick release

I have to admit the only flaw I saw in Stroud was that he was an Ohio State QB and I just don’t believe in them.  Everyone I hear is going to be the one that’s different snd everyone flops.  With that said Stroud is off to as good of a start as you can ask for through two games, especially with no protection and no ground game.

• Like 1

I was impressed with the game yesterday except when we to the retreat and surrender, triple vanilla, non-existant defense with a 31-10 lead. I understand the "theory" behind doing that so you don't give up quick scores, but, come on, you still have to mix blitzes in and disguise your defense sometimes. I was having flashbacks of all those blown leads over the past 50 years(thankfully I have probably forgotten a lot of them now!) It was nice we got bailed out by a missed field goal. 

Richardson looked good in his limited playing time(he has got to learn to play full speed and get down on every play that he's running and scrambling on). Pittman, Pierce, Downs all looked good. Mallory needs to be on the field. Moss did ok. Offensive line was very good. Anyone notice Fries made key blocks on Richardson's second td and the Moss td?

Defense was excellent until we got the 31-10 lead, then it is hard to gripe about it because we just plain stopped playing aggressive, attacking, blitzing, defense. Stroud is good, that's why he picked us apart when we were playing the triple vanilla soft zone. Run defense was outstanding, for the 3rd year in a row I'll say it again,Speed needs to be on the field more.

I'll say also, Steichen is a lot better coach than Reich, and I liked Reich, I was always defending him. But it was getting old how week after week we weren't ready to play. Boldest of all boldest predictions: if we avoid any catastrophic injuries and get Taylor back, we will win the division!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I have to admit the only flaw I saw in Stroud was that he was an Ohio State QB and I just don’t believe in them.  Everyone I hear is going to be the one that’s different snd everyone flops.  With that said Stroud is off to as good of a start as you can ask for through two games, especially with no protection and no ground game.

Stroud's touch and accuracy is elite already. And he has a burst to escape the rush. He would have been worth trading the house for the 1st pick.

Chuckle Frank.

8 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

agreed, I was on the stroud train until we made Shane our coach.  Then I was fine with whoever we got because I trust Shane to bring them along.  But stroud is definitely the best passer in that class.  His mobility is in question but his arm is not

• Like 1

9 hours ago, #12. said:

I think both will be successful.  In a few years, this might be one of the better rivalries.

Yes, I would have on draft night and still would today.  He already sees the field better than AR likely will at any point in his career...he is not a scrambler, so he will also likely have a much longer and healthier career.   

A lot of people love the highlights of the scrambling QBs but forget than nearly all of them miss time every single season.  A QB like Peyton Manning or Dan Marino, who sees the field and knows what the D is going to do pre-snap, would still be MVPs in today's NFL.  

Mobile QBs, while able to "extend the play", also requires more work for the o-line, because they have to hold their blocks way longer than someone who gets the ball out fast.

Just my .02

• Like 2

The Colts need to draft another corner next year IMO. And bring in a proven vet for competition. I don’t want to see these journeyman no name CBs starting next year.

Also you can get good players anywhere, but Ballard needs to ease up with putting small school players in starter spots. Your starting corners and FS (not including Kenny because he’s played well) went to Georgia Southern, Pittsburgh State, and Yale. 1 was a 7th round pick and the other two were UDFA’s as well. That’s not going to work in this league. 

Baker has done enough to be benched. Put Jones or Brent’s out there. If you’re going to take your lumps, take them with a younger player with upside. Heck I’d even be okay with Brown getting the start, but you can’t put Baker back out there.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts need to draft another corner next year IMO. And bring in a proven vet for competition. I don’t want to see these journeyman no name CBs starting next year.

Also you can get good players anywhere, but Ballard needs to ease up with putting small school players in starter spots. Your starting corners and FS (not including Kenny because he’s played well) went to Georgia Southern, Pittsburgh State, and Yale. 1 was a 7th round pick and the other two were UDFA’s as well. That’s not going to work in this league. 

Baker has done enough to be benched. Put Jones or Brent’s out there. If you’re going to take your lumps, take them with a younger player with upside. Heck I’d even be okay with Brown getting the start, but you can’t put Baker back out there.

They haven’t done well at all so far, but a year of experience and another preseason might do wonders for these young guys. 

Steichen's offense looks so great compared to well.....it's been a long time since play calling has been good. 

I hope Richardson is back soon, but thank God for Minschew!

Downs is a lil' badass

D-Line played lights out....great job

Keep blitzing Gus!!

Leonard looks lost more than he should, and like he's lost two steps :(

Franklin and Speed look fantastic though

Nice to not have to worry about FG's anymore

Great to see Mo Allie Cox bowling over safeties. Hope they use him more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, krunk said:

I think he can run somewhat but he looks awkward doing it.  He's not a real threat with his legs to me, but he can get you a few yards here and there when he needs to get some where.  That's why I would lean more towards using him like Peyton Manning because of the cerebrals and the accuracy. 

He's absolutely a pocket passer, not going to do much as a runner but he can keep the play alive for a bit while he finds an open man. And a well timed QB keeper, bootleg, etc., will work. He's not totally deficient with his legs, but he'll be at his best as a traditional pocket passer.

Maybe they should figure out how to give him a consistent pocket...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

They haven’t done well at all so far, but a year of experience and another preseason might do wonders for these young guys. 

I’d like to believe that but it’s been said that the biggest jump a player makes is from year 1 to year 2. And we’re not talking about high upside guys here. I understand Flowers is fast, but he really hasn’t shown anything that leads me to believe he can or should be a starting corner in the NFL.

Baker I don’t get at all. He was this unknown guy signed to the PS whom played in like 2 games last year for us but it was all ST’s. I’m also not sure what he’s shown for the staff to think he’s got upside.

Thomas made a couple of splash plays last year, but him starting seemed to be a bit of an overreaction to a handful of plays from last season. I just don’t know how much you’re going to get from a guy from Yale. 

I just can’t think of any NFL teams who have that type of talent at secondary and it’s working out. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Yep.....Stroud is a natural passer. Though I doubt AR will ever be as accurate and natural passer as Stroud, I like the other abilities/charisma AR has. 

And I think he will learn to avoid taking unnecessary hits and not try to display a  macho mindset. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’d like to believe that but it’s been said that the biggest jump a player makes is from year 1 to year 2. And we’re not talking about high upside guys here. I understand Flowers is fast, but he really hasn’t shown anything that leads me to believe he can or should be a starting corner in the NFL.

Baker I don’t get at all. He was this unknown guy signed to the PS whom played in like 2 games last year for us but it was all ST’s. I’m also not sure what he’s shown for the staff to think he’s got upside.

Thomas made a couple of splash plays last year, but him starting seemed to be a bit of an overreaction to a handful of plays from last season. I just don’t know how much you’re going to get from a guy from Yale. 

I just can’t think of any NFL teams who have that type of talent at secondary and it’s working out. 

Look, I'm, not saying our guys are the answer in fact I wouldn't be surprised if CB was at the top of our list of positions to address next offseason.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think our secondary has a decent amount of talent. What they don't have is experience. But playing in Bradley's defense allows them to run around with abandon and try to make plays while they get their feet wet. In theory... still have to tackle. 

It's an extension of the Polian/Dungy strategy, which Ballard/Eberflus tried to emulate, and I think Bradley's defense is a fit as well. We're not asking for a lot from any of them, but if one or more guys really starts to click, there's some upside. So they can play, develop, and be evaluated. I get it, for this season.

Where I will be annoyed is if the secondary is still having problems at the end of the year, and we don't bring in better players for next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think our secondary has a decent amount of talent. What they don't have is experience. But playing in Bradley's defense allows them to run around with abandon and try to make plays while they get their feet wet. In theory... still have to tackle. 

It's an extension of the Polian/Dungy strategy, which Ballard/Eberflus tried to emulate, and I think Bradley's defense is a fit as well. We're not asking for a lot from any of them, but if one or more guys really starts to click, there's some upside. So they can play, develop, and be evaluated. I get it, for this season.

Where I will be annoyed is if the secondary is still having problems at the end of the year, and we don't bring in better players for next year.

Yeah it’s like Ballard said they have to play to get experience.  I don’t get why people are so up in arms about the secondary we knew they were going to take their lumps, especially early.  This shouldn’t come as a shock for anyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Superman said:

I might be the only person not concerned with Richardson taking some hits. I think he has to learn his lesson, and he just got schooled twice in his first two games. As long as he applies what he's learned, I think he can be fine moving forward.

Same. I think he needs to take notes and adjust to the speed of defenders to avoid some hits or to protect himself better BUT... I absolutely do NOT think we've seen anything super concerning or that he should be changing the way he plays. You drafted him for his abilities on the move! If you want to nerf his dynamic running ability then you shouldn't have drafted him in the first place. Use everything he can offer and teach him how to do it more efficiently and safer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I think I'm good with this year being developmental year in general for the team, with one exception - I think Richardson should be supported with weapons and protection. I think we need to know as quickly as possible if he's the answer or not and I don't want us to be using lack of talent around him as an excuse. 

With that said... I think we need to actually put in play our highly drafted rookie at CB. We spent way too rich of a resources for him to not play when the other options are Dallis Flowers and Darrell Baker Jr.... especially after what we've already seen from them. As long as Brents is healthy and in football shape, IMO he should be playing, even with the understanding that he might have his lumps too. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Superman said:

I might be the only person not concerned with Richardson taking some hits. I think he has to learn his lesson, and he just got schooled twice in his first two games. As long as he applies what he's learned, I think he can be fine moving forward.

Thank you. I am not concerned at all either. What you posted covers everything I think.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think I'm good with this year being developmental year in general for the team, with one exception - I think Richardson should be supported with weapons and protection. I think we need to know as quickly as possible if he's the answer or not and I don't want us to be using lack of talent around him as an excuse. 

With that said... I think we need to actually put in play our highly drafted rookie at CB. We spent way too rich of a resources for him to not play when the other options are Dallis Flowers and Darrell Baker Jr.... especially after what we've already seen from them. As long as Brents is healthy and in football shape, IMO he should be playing, even with the understanding that he might have his lumps too. 

So far so good with the OL.  No sacks allowed after two games and the run blocking looks good.  If Taylor comes back he has another weapon.  Keeping fingers crossed there.  I think as soon as they feel Brent’s is ready to go he’s going to play.  Most likely this week I would think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

So far so good with the OL.  No sacks allowed after two games and the run blocking looks good.  If Taylor comes back he has another weapon.  Keeping fingers crossed there.  I think as soon as they feel Brent’s is ready to go he’s going to play.  Most likely this week I would think.

I have already written JT off... he's shown and expressed clearly he doesn't want to be part of this team. I'm not having any hopes about him being here any longer than a few games before he gets traded or fakes another injury. 

29 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Based entirely on what we heard during camp, I’d like to see Jones in there. Also, Brents can’t be worse than Baker - we need to play him. 

He can be and was during the pre-season.  Brents looked like Baker does now just other teams backups.  Just because one guy isn’t playing one doesn’t automatically make someone else better.

Now I am all for seeing what Jones can do.