Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans (week 2) post game thread

GoColts8818

Glad the colts played like they were the better team.

AR should of just kept running hard and he wouldn’t of got tackled on that second TD. Bad omen he hasn’t finished a game yet. The nfl hits are harder then college.

If defense can bottle up Lamar like they usually do we should be able to compete with Minshew. 

French looked ok at center. So that was a good sign.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I'm usually long-winded on these but I just got 2 points for today

1) I apologize to Steichen about his play calling last week. Who knew having even a competent run game helps out that much lol

2) Baker sucks. He's our CB1 this year and was PICKED ON by a rookie QB and a generally incompetent offense. He and Fountain will be the direct reason why we lose a good chunk of games this season. Super negative points to Ballard aka 'We like our guys'. I swear if Rodgers balls out for the eagles next year.......

Who is Fountain?  I saw no explosive plays they gave up.  They were not eye sores out there, and you can't stop every throw in zone coverage.  You're going to give up a few catches.  You think it's strange that a rookie made a few passes on another rookie?  I think maybe you meant Flowers instead of Fountain.  I didn't even see them target Flowers much. 

• Like 1

Well first regular season win since the 1st game of the Jeff Saturday era always nice.

Positives:

Richardson is special when he’s healthy.

Pittman and Downs had good games.

Mallory is fun at tightend.

the o-line was MUCH better in run blocking today and really good in pass protection, granted the Texans are not the best defense in football but the Colts did their job.  Shout out to French while I want Kelly back he came in didn’t have a bad snap and the Colts could still run up the gut behind him and Nelson.

Six sacks in any game is good and I think I had more yards rushing today than the Texans did today.

Moss is good number two back.  I still want Taylor back but the Colts needed a boost on the ground and he provided it.

Shane coached MUCH better today.  Smart challenge, took the points, creative plays to confuse the Texans (the fourth down to make them burn a time out was genius).

Colts need to extend Minshew, I think as long as Richardson is your QB you are going to need a number two QB like him.

I like what I saw from Martin at end.  I don’t think he’s a future star but I think he could be a good second tier pass rusher.

Negatives:

Richardson has to learn to take care of himself,  he’s now played two games and not finished either.  I don’t care how special he is he does you no good if he can’t finish games and this isn’t Luck 2.0 where the line is getting him killed.

Colts are a bit undisciplined.  They need to get the penalties under control.

This secondary outside of Kenny Moore, yikes.  

It was feast or famine for the dline today,  when they feasted they dominated other times the Texans backup line held up too well vs them.  

The Colts are very much a young team learning to win and it’s shown in both second half’s, especially the fourth quarters.  They did enough to win today and made the plays when they had too but I would have liked to have seen a stronger effort on both sides of the ball in the fourth.

Bonus point for the Texans.

Stroud is going to be really good if they don’t get him killed like the Colts did with Luck.  He’s got two really good young WRs to go with him.  If they can get him a run game and get their line healthy the Texans will be scary on offense quickly.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I'm usually long-winded on these but I just got 2 points for today

1) I apologize to Steichen for complaining about his play calling last week. Who knew having even a competent run game helps out that much lol

2) Baker sucks. He's our CB1 this year and was PICKED ON by a rookie QB and a generally incompetent offense. He and Fountain will be the direct reason why we lose a good chunk of games this season. Super negative points to Ballard aka Mr.'We like our guys' for going this route. I swear if Isiah Rodgers balls out for the Eagles next year.......

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Who is Fountain?  I saw no explosive plays they gave up.  They were not eye sores out there, and you can't stop every throw in zone coverage.  You're going to give up a few catches.  You think it's strange that a rookie made a few passes on another rookie?  I think maybe you meant Flowers instead of Fountain.  I didn't even see them target Flowers much.

Yes, Flowers, sorry.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Standings in the AFC South:

1. Jags 1-1

2. Colts 1-1

3. Titans 1-1

4. Texans 0-2

I picked the Chargers to beat the Titans this week, I didn't have money on it but Herbert can't win a big game to save his life. That was a big game because going 0-2 sucks. I am done picking the Chargers to win crap.

They changed OC too. I think the problem is the HC. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Standings in the AFC South:

1. Jags 1-1

2. Colts 1-1

3. Titans 1-1

4. Texans 0-2

I picked the Chargers to beat the Titans this week, I didn't have money on it but Herbert can't win a big game to save his life. That was a big game because going 0-2 sucks. I am done picking the Chargers to win crap.

We can win this division with JT.

• Like 2

Feels great to win again. I really feel for AR and hope he comes back strong soon but Gardner proved that he is a very capable back up which is exactly what we need. 

31 points from the offense is great and even though the defense, especially the secondary, didnt look great we only conceded 20 points. 

Great for everyone to get a win early in the season. Lets build on this!

• Like 3

Good

offense: 

- AR looked good until he was out.  He is going to be an absolute problem when he puts it all together.

- liked what I saw from downs, Granson, and Mallory.  Strong catches and finishes.  Not eye popping stats but played well within their respective roles.  

- thank you ZACK MOSS!  If we had him last week, we might be 2-0.  But he had a solid game and makes me feel better without having JT out there.  Still wish we had JT due to his dynamic abilities, but zack will do for now.

- run blocking was much better this week.  

- playcalling was good and decision making was MUCH better this week.  Kudos to Shane showing growth and maturity in his second game.  Also did some things that were strategic and gave us an upper hand.  Just like AR, he’s going to be good, just give him the time and talent.

defense: 

- when the game was close, the front 7 was getting after it.  It is a hurt Texans team but you play who’s in from of you.  

- linebacker core looks good again.  They do need to get better in pass defense if we’re going to be running the cover 2, but solid performance this game

- defensive line with another good week.  Need more consistency, especially against a weak Texans line, but once again, you play who’s in front you.

Bad/Meh

offense

- not a bad game by MPJ but still not WR1-esque.  12 targets, 8 recs, 56yds, 7yd avg.  not bad, but also not good.  Im Only hard on MPJ because of the money he’s going to command and if he’s going to get it then we need to see more.  

- I’ve given up on Pierce.  He just disappears.  Idk, maybe this is another week where we had the shots but didn’t take them.  But disappointed with his production.  

- AR hopefully learned 2 more lessons today.  Finish your runs and give 100% effort to the whistle and line.  Was it a H2H, yeah it was but the concussion at the end was preventable.  AR let up and was running high becoming an easy target.  He needs to get lower and run stronger.  

defense

- get baker out of there!  He was getting picked on second half.  How bad was rush that he got cut for him? Lol

- defensive backs:  minus Moore, our defensive backs are not good as expected.  Bad tackling, bad coverage.  I mean the point of the cover 2 is to keep everything in front and prevent YAC and our corners couldn’t even do that lol.  We need juju Brents bad because Odell and zay flowers are going to eat us for lunch next week

- Gus Bradley:  he went to the cover 2 too early.  I understand why he did and at the time I agreed with it, but good thing is im a fan and not a coach because I have hindsight and a coach doesn’t lol.  Probably should’ve stayed aggressive for another quarter and then went to the cover 2, but when we needed to get back aggressive on that last drive by Houston, we did.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well first regular season win since the 1st game of the Jeff Saturday era always nice.

Positives:

Richardson is special when he’s healthy.

Pittman and Downs had good games.

Mallory is fun at tightend.

the o-line was MUCH better in run blocking today and really good in pass protection, granted the Texans are not the best defense in football but the Colts did their job.  Shout out to French while I want Kelly back he came in didn’t have a bad snap and the Colts could still run up the gut behind him and Nelson.

Six sacks in any game is good and I think I had more yards rushing today than the Texans did today.

Moss is good number two back.  I still want Taylor back but the Colts needed a boost on the ground and he provided it.

Shane coached MUCH better today.  Smart challenge, took the points, creative plays to confuse the Texans (the fourth down to make them burn a time out was genius).

Colts need to extend Minshew, I think as long as Richardson is your QB you are going to need a number two QB like him.

Negatives:

Richardson has to learn to take care of himself,  he’s now played two games and not finished either.  I don’t care how special he is he does you no good if he can’t finish games and this isn’t Luck 2.0 where the line is getting him killed.

Colts are a bit undisciplined.  They need to get the penalties under control.

This secondary outside of Kenny Moore, yikes.  

It was feast or famine for the dline today,  when they feasted they dominated other times the Texans backup line held up too well vs them.  

The Colts are very much a young team learning to win and it’s shown in both second half’s, especially the fourth quarters.  They did enough to win today and made the plays when they had too but I would have liked to have seen a stronger effort on both sides of the ball in the fourth.

Bonus point for the Texans.

Stroud is going to be really good if they don’t get him killed like the Colts did with Luck.  He’s got two really good young WRs to go with him.  If they can get him a run game and get their line healthy the Texans will be scary on offense quickly.

Texans win division  next year after they draft Harrison  jr

3 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

If only we would've kept Gilmore! This team has a chance ESPECIALLY if we can get JT back. The upgrade at hc and qb play has already made this team better. Should be 2-0 already but I like what I see so far. Gus needs to be more flexible with his defensive game plans depending on opponent. 

Gilmore didn’t want to be part of a rebuild. 

I said it was a mistake, insisting the new head coach had to retain Bradley. Last year (even with Gilmore)  the defense couldn't get off the field, always giving up 3rd and longs, let wide open receivers run wild, up and down the field. Now here we go again. It was great to get a win, but the defensive scheme is our Achilles heel

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Here is the hot that Richardson got concussed. It wasn’t from hitting head on turf. It should of been a penalty from helmet to helmet.

oh seems Twitter  links are working again.

I don't agree.  He hit the back of his head directly on the Turf and his head bounced back up.

Im almost certain that's what caused it.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Personally I think it’s more of an attitude they need. The effort still needs to be there with a big lead. It’s a mindset.

I don’t know if it’s attitude.  I think two things happened:

1.  The Texans started throwing more which is the Colts weakness on defense.  When the Texans still tried to run in the fourth they couldn’t at all. 

2.  The Colts started playing bend don’t break on defense which worked outside of one drive that I agree was just too easy.  The other three drives resulted in field goal attempts and the end of the game.  

• Like 2