Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans (week 2) post game thread

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

He did indeed look good. But our pass defense was atrocious. Just about any NFL QB would have been able to connect with those wide open receivers

I agree with the concerns about the Colts secondary.  I am still going to give Stroud his credit.  Any rookie QB approaching almost their first 100 passes without a pick (and that goes beyond the Colts game this week) is impressive.  

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What’s impressive is they looked good with two different QB. I mean blocking schemes ect are probably different with a mobile QB.

What’s more impressive is they lost Kelly which they even mentioned on the broadcast gets the line set and still looked good.  That said, the Texans d-line, even with Anderson, isn’t much to write home about still credit where credit is due.  They held their own in pass defense last week vs a good Jags line and owned the game up front against a mediocre Texans line in both phases of the game.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I agree with the concerns about the Colts secondary.  I am still going to give Stroud his credit.  Any rookie QB approaching almost their first 100 passes without pick (and that goes beyond the Colts game this week) is impressive.  

Don't get me wrong, he looks good,p. As they said all along, most ready rookie QB for NFL. Accurate passer. But lets wait a few more weeks to decide how good he really is. The Colts have an awful habit of opponents record breaking performances

4 minutes ago, AKB said:

hopefully sitting out next weeks game will be eye opening enough. make brave decisions, you end up on the sidelines. 

at the end of the day gotta be smart and avoid the hits

anyone know why Baker is starting and we've seen zero Brents?

We’ll see if he sit out.  If he passes the protocol I have a feeling he plays.

Brents missed a lot of camp and looked like Baker is now vs other teams backups in the pre-season.  He’s just not ready yet.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Don't get me wrong, he looks good,p. As they said all along, most ready rookie QB for NFL. Accurate passer. But lets wait a few more weeks to decide how good he really is. The Colts have an awful habit of opponents record breaking performances

Yes but Stroud also looked good last week as well.  I am not putting him in the hall of fame I am just saying through two games he’s played well.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah disagree.  Stroud looked great today.   If he had a horse shoe on the side of his head people would be raving about his performance.

His sacks speak to his line not him and like I said the Texans have to avoid getting him killed like the Colts did Luck by letting him just get beat up.  

Also wins are a team stat not a QB stat.  The Jets proved last week you can win a game with your QB not helping the cause.  

Yeah it’s the positions they play and the going market value for their positions.  How many mediocre QBs are making way more than star running backs?

You think Stroud played great? I wouldn't go that far with it. Yes, a team can win without a QB playing great for maybe a few games but like that Jets game last week it is short lived when you don't have a QB that is consistently good. The Jets win last week was beyond luck, you seen what happened to them today.

27 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Right, and on that note, both Nico Collins and Tank Dell looked more effective than Pittman, and no one  would consider either of them to get $20M

Tank Dell is a third round rookie who has played two games. It’s way too early to say if he’s going go be worth $20 million in four years or not.  Collins might be coming into his own now that he finally has a QB, that happens sometimes, remember when Marvin exploded when he got Peyton.  Collins had six catches for 80 yards last week as well as todays performance.  If he keeps performing like he has to start this season he will get 20 million when his contract is up.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brents missed a lot of camp and looked like Baker is now vs other teams backups in the pre-season.  He’s just not ready yet.

I don't think any chance he will play. Too many risks for the team. Tuas situation and others. They have to sit him. If he were to play and then get another concussion, the team will be blamed

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Tank Dell is a third round rookie who has played two games. It’s way too early to say if he’s going go be worth $20 million in four years or not.  Collins might be coming into his own now that he finally has a QB, that happens sometimes, remember when Marvin exploded when he got Peyton.  Collins had six catches for 80 yards last week as well as todays performance.  If he keeps performing like he has to start this season he will get 20 million when his contract is up.

In order for Pittman to earn the $20m contract, I think he should produce a little more than what we have seen so far

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You think Stroud played great? I wouldn't go that far with it. Yes, a team can win without a QB playing great for maybe a few games but like that Jets game last week it is short lived when you don't have a QB that is consistently good. The Jets win last week was beyond luck, you seen what happened to them today.

For a rookie QB playing his second game yeah I’ll take a 63.8% completion percentage, with no picks two TDs and 384 yards and call it great and you would too if he had a horse shoe on the side of his head.  

My point was not that the Jets are good my point was that wins are a team stat and not a QB stat and used last weeks Jets performance to back that up because the Jets won in-spite of QB play last week.  We know this happens, we saw the Colts do it four times last year.  

Just now, 1959Colts said:

In order for Pittman to earn the $20m contract, I think he should produce a little more than what we have seen so far

Well the NFL market for WRs disagrees.  If the Colts don’t pay him that someone else will.

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I don't think any chance he will play. Too many risks for the team. Tuas situation and others. They have to sit him. If he were to play and then get another concussion, the team will be blamed

We’ll see.  He would be hardly the first player to come back from a concussion in a week.  The Colts don’t have to sit him.  If he’s cleared he will probably play.  That’s how life in the NFL normally works for QBs.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have a feeling our OL is going to be very good this year.  I think they are going to keep getting better and better as the season moves along.

Yes, good Oline play today. Looking forward to seeing the blocking grades. I think I would have to go back to 2021 to see comparable Oline play by the Colts.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well baker ain't the answer. So at some point we gotta try someone else there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dobbinblitz said:

Yes, good Oline play today. Looking forward to seeing the blocking grades. I think I would have to go back to 2021 to see comparable Oline play by the Colts.

Another game demonstrating Ryan Kelly is replaceable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

For a rookie QB playing his second game yeah I’ll take a 63.8% completion percentage, with no picks two TDs and 384 yards and call it great and you would too if he had a horse shoe on the side of his head.  

My point was not that the Jets are good my point was that wins are a team stat and not a QB stat and used last weeks Jets performance to back that up because the Jets won in-spite of QB play last week.  We know this happens, we saw the Colts do it four times last year.  

Well the NFL market for WRs disagrees.  If the Colts don’t pay him that someone else will.

Having a horseshoe on the side of his helmet has nothing to do with it. I seen Stroud make several bad decisions despite the big stats. Stats aren't everything. There were at least 4 or 5 plays where he had guys wide open deep and just checked down. He didn't see it. He also had 1 or 2 times I can recall where he could have took off and ran for big yards but didn't and it resulted in an incomplete pass. Stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. I watched the whole game.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We’ll see.  He would be hardly the first player to come back from a concussion in a week.  The Colts don’t have to sit him.  If he’s cleared he will probably play.  That’s how life in the NFL normally works for QBs.  

Maybe a year or two ago? But not when it comes to concussions these days.Next thing you know they will all be wearing those big foam helmet pads

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stroud to me didn't look good today. He got a lot of junk yards when we went bend not break/prevent because we had a big lead. I am not saying he is bad or he can't be good but he didn't impress today. We sacked him 6 times as well, he doesn't have near the mobility that AR has. AR got injured on a fluke today. Lets see at the end of the season who has the better stats and more wins, than we can talk more.

To be fair, I’d say see at the end of three years

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Having a horseshoe on the side of his helmet has nothing to do with it. I seen Stroud make several bad decisions despite the big stats. Stats aren't everything. There were at least 4 or 5 plays where he had guys wide open deep and just checked down. He didn't see it. He also had 1 or 2 times I can recall where he could have took off and ran for big yards but didn't and it resulted in an incomplete pass. Stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. I watched the whole game.

Please if AR had a game like that you’d be proclaiming him ready for the hall of fame.  Just like you are trying to proclaim AR is the best rookie based on two games (well one game and a quarter).  Give some credit to Stroud.  He’s played well too.  There is nothing wrong with that.  It doesn’t mean AR hasn’t played well too.  It doesn’t mean AR won’t end up the best of the group.  It just means Stroud has played well.  Is he perfect?  No, but neither is Richardson.  They are rookies who have played two games that’s to be expected.  Right now both the Colts and Texans fans have reason to feel good about their QBs through two games.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Please if AR had a game like that you’d be proclaiming him ready for the hall of fame.  Just like you are trying to proclaim AR is the best rookie based on two games (well one game and a quarter).  Give some credit to Stroud.  He’s played well too.  There is nothing wrong with that.  It doesn’t mean AR hasn’t played well too.  It doesn’t mean AR won’t end up the best of the group.  It just means Stroud has played well.  Is he perfect?  No, but neither is Richardson.  They are rookies who have played two games that’s to be expected.  Right now both the Colts and Texans fans have reason to feel good about their QBs through two games.  

Stroud had a good game as a passer, but in that first quarter, AR looked like the best rookie. 

but yeah, after the game id say its between stroud and richardson with a gap, then young

Just now, AKB said:

Stroud had a good game as a passer, but in that first quarter, AR looked like the best rookie. 

but yeah, after the game id say its between stroud and richardson with a gap, then young

Yeah I am not taking anything away from AR.  I am just not saying it’s clear AR is the best of the group.  Stroud has matched him he just does it in a different way.  I’d agree those two have looked the best so far and if you are a Colts fan you’d probably say AR is the best if you are a Texans fan you’ll say Stroud and both have good arguments.  

I will say both Colts fans and Texans fans need to be concerned about their QBs health.  Richardson has to be better at protecting himself because if he can’t finish games it doesn’t matter if he’s the greatest QB of all time.  With Stroud they can’t let him keep taking sacks like he has or he’s going end up the next Andrew Luck.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Ok you are being silly now. I am saying so far AR looks like he may be the best rookie out of the bunch. Also, I would not proclaim any Colts QB a Hall of Famer after 2 freakin games. If you want to have a reasonable discussion about this, lets have it other wise take a chill pill. Jesus. You can bully others in here, that isn't going to fly with me. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe maybe not.  It was against a depleted Texans defense.  The Texans.  

I didn't notice a difference, at all. Same with pretty much every other game Kelly has missed, as there have been quite a few. 

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok you are being silly now. I am saying so far AR looks like he may be the best rookie out of the bunch. Also, I would not proclaim any Colts QB a Hall of Famer after 2 freakin games. If you want to have a reasonable discussion about this, lets have it other wise take a chill pill. Jesus. You can bully others in here, that isn't going to fly with me. 

Disagreeing with you and backing up my position as to why is not bullying you.

Yeah I am not taking anything away from AR.  I am just not saying it’s clear AR is the best of the group.  Stroud has matched him he just does it in a different way.  I’d agree those two have looked the best so far and if you are a Colts fan you’d probably say AR is the best if you are a Texans fan you’ll say Stroud and both have good arguments.  

I will say both Colts fans and Texans fans need to be concerned about their QBs health.  Richardson has to be better at protecting himself because if he can’t finish games it doesn’t matter if he’s the greatest QB of all time.  With Stroud they can’t let him keep taking sacks like he has or he’s going end up the next Andrew Luck.  

i think i'd rather have AR, butI don't think AR is better necessarily, just talented in a different way. as a pure passer, i'd take stroud

• Like 1

Just now, AKB said:

i think i'd rather have AR, butI don't think AR is better necessarily, just talented in a different way. as a pure passer, i'd take stroud

Yep, that’s more or less what I am saying.  They are different players and both franchises have reasons to feel good.  I was objecting to the idea as someone else said that Stroud didn’t play well.  That has nothing to do with Richardson.  Richardson has played well too and I said that in my recap of the game post.  I am just acknowledging Stroud had played well too.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree. That said, I still think the odds of all three from this class being starters still by year 5 aren’t high. I think Stroud will bust long term, AR it appears will come down to his ability to stay on the field. And Young , well I’m not seeing someone worthy of a 1st overall let alone a trade for 1st overall. But some of that has to do with who his coach is

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Disagreeing with you and backing up my position as to why is not bullying you.

You are putting words in my mouth saying I would proclaim AR a Hall of Famer after 2 games if he played like Stroud today. Also you just assume I think because someone doesn't have a horseshoe on their helmet, I won't give them credit. I never said Stroud can't become good. A debate is one thing but don't be putting words in my mouth. 

Just now, csmopar said:

I agree. That said, I still think the odds of all three from this class being starters still by year 5 aren’t high. I think Stroud will bust long term, AR it appears will come down to his ability to stay on the field. And Young , well I’m not seeing someone worthy of a 1st overall let alone a trade for 1st overall. But some of that has to do with who his coach is

Oh yeah lots of questions remain.  I’d agree the odds none make it by year five are much higher than all three making it by year five.  I am just going off two games and saying what I’ve seen so far.  Frankly I wasn’t even talking about Richardson, I think he’s played as well as anyone can ask for outside of the injures and one rookie INT.  I was just objecting to the idea that someone else said that Stroud didn’t play well.  I think it’s pretty clear he played extremely well and I think most agree with that statement regardless of thoughts about Richardson.

• Like 1

Yep, that’s more or less what I am saying.  They are different players and both franchises have reasons to feel good.  I was objecting to the idea as someone else said that Stroud didn’t play well.  That has nothing to do with Richardson.  Richardson has played well too and I said that in my recap of the game post.  I am just acknowledging Stroud had played well too.

after watching stroud and AR its kinda silly thinking young went first. 

i mean young is gonna have to develop into an absolute beast in the pocket for that pick to be the right one. so far,. the panthers were wrong in the young season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I thought AR slowed down when he realized he was going to score. Showing off. Which resulted in him getting hit harder than if he had just ran in full speed.

He did slow up.

This is the NFL, not NCAA... EVERY PLAYER hits harder. DT to CB.

A lesson he hopefully has learned. I hope Steichen chews his #$@ out about that!

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I remember a few times, when Pinter went in to replace Kelly at center... Pinter looked better.

I remember that too.  But yet he is still a starter.  I think we play our best players.  Younger players replace older players all the time.  Right now no one can take him out of the lineup.  Only an injury will.