Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans (week 2) post game thread

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, stitches said:

- defensive front was solid to very good... They had a decimated opponent in front of them and did what they should have done - dominated them. 

- offensive line - especially since Ryan Kelly had his concussion, I thought the OL was solid both in run blocking and pass protection. 0 sacks allowed against what is probably the best unit for the Texans. 

- both QBs - AR is a superstar in the making. And the pairing with Steichen is made in heaven. Minshew did what he was brought to do... he was yet again a pro QB, who executed the offense and moved the ball. Nothing fancy, just solid NFL QBing. 

- Zack Moss - love the guy... just 5-6 weeks after he broke his arm he was plowing through defenders and gaining extra yardage. 

- pass-catchers... I've been critical of them lately, but I thought they had a solid day and made some plays for their QBs... 

- Steichen - loved the playcalling and planning in the beginning of the game. Loved the seamless switch to Minshew type offense, Love what he's doing with AR and how he's building confindence into him. Love their pairing. I think the Colts nailed both those decisions separately, but when combined they make for a truly rare combination that can be special. Loved that he was trying every trick in the book to give this team an advantage when it comes to game and flow management.

Dislikes:

- AR concussion. I said it in the other thread - I'm not one of those who is urging him to run less - no... he was drafted because of the dynamicism he possesses as a runner combined with the potential as a passer. Use every weapon he has in his arsenal. But dammit... try to protect yourself. He needs to be more alert when he's running... seemed like he didn't expect the hit or didn't expect it to be this hard... he needs to brace himself for those types of hits.

- DBs... eeek... I hope they get Brents ready to play soon because this ain't it... We will need a lot of help next year too. That unit is clearly the worst on the team IMO. 

- Rigoberto. Hate to say it, but to me it looks like he's lost something in his leg after the injury. They say one of the things you lose the most after Achilles injury is explosiveness and it seems to fit what we are seeing(injury was on his kicking leg). IMO it's possible we will need to look for a new kicker next year if things don't improve. 

The Colts have a "75¢ Defense" - it's only good for 3 quarters. Playing a soft Tampa 2 defense was embarrassing to watch.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Yeah, he definitely slows up at about the 5 as if he can waltz in. Strange decision. I guess he’ll learn from it but stinks it takes a concussion for that lesson. 

Good writeup here on the play...

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/9/17/23877795/week-2-colts-vs-texans-highlights-anthony-richardson

...First off the design of this play was masterful. It got most of the defense moving the wrong direction which allowed AR to follow his lead blocker, Kylen Granson. If you watch AR he’s looking at that block to see if he needs to cut, he sees that Granson takes his man to the sideline and AR starts to pull up at about the six yard line. He saw that block, he saw the end zone and he thought he was going to walk in. Had he kept accelerating, lowered his shoulder and braced for the hit, there is no way that much smaller defensive back is de-cleating a 250 pound Richardson running at full-speed. It’s just not happening.

So while it, obviously, would have been better had Richardson not been knocked out of the game with a brain injury, this is a teaching moment- never assume you’re just going to walk into the end zone. Finish your runs and protect yourself until the whistle blows (and maybe a little after). You never want this to happen but it’s fair to hope he learns from it...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep. I am sure AR is soaking all it in. He can enjoy the week since we got the win and get well and learn from it. 

If he can just stay healthy 

“During his 18-yard touchdown run on the Colts' opening drive, Anthony Richardson reached a top speed of 19.15 mph within 19.03 yards of distance traveled. The average quarterback would have scored only 1.8% of the time, according to the NGS expected rushing yards model.” nfl

dot com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman is going yo earn his extension by mid season.

Yeah he might not be a star like a Justin Jefferson but the Colts have NOTHING behind him besides Downs who is a slot guy.  Not that being a slot guy is bad but they aren’t number ones.  

yes $20 million is a lot but that’s the going rate for a receiver with Pittman’s type of production.  He’s clearly the Colts best receiver and I don’t see Ballard letting him leave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

DBs... eeek... I hope they get Brents ready to play soon because this ain't it... We will need a lot of help next year too. That unit is clearly the worst on the team IMO. 

I don’t know if there’s anything positive to say about any of the DB’s that started and played a lot of snaps today. I think Gus is really tough on rookies because he doesn’t seem to want anything to do with Jaylon Jones and JuJu Brent’s. They need to be out there tbh.

Thomas and Flowers seem like Ballard’s attempt to prove his late round picks can hit, but I really don’t see how either of them are starters. Flowers can’t make a tackle to save his life, and Thomas doesn’t do much. Baker should not be starting either. I just can’t believe that we rolled into the season and the starting players in our secondary are Darell Baker, Rodney Thomas, Dallis Flowers, and Julian Blackman.  Put the Rookies out of there instead of these unknown small school guys who can’t handle guarding Nico Collins. Once again the Colts allowed an offensive player to have a career best game. 146 yards and a TD is what Collins put up on us. Stroud had almost 400. 

This stuff with the secondary has gone on for too long.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not so sure we didn't get the best QB out of the 3 though. He just needs to protect himself better. Stroud to me is 1 dimensional. AR can pass and run. We will see how Young pans out?

Stroud can run too but chooses not too.  Stroud has also finished both of his games while AR hasn’t finished either.  He’s also up to almost 100 passes without a pick which is really good for a rookie and more impressive when you consider he’s been sacked 11 times in two games.  If the Texans don’t break him like the Colts did with Luck he’s going to be really good for a long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Colts should pull the trigger and extend Minshew. Good teammate, effective,proven,reliable, and a good teacher/example for Richardson.

Yep.  If I am Ballard I am talking to him about a two three year extension right now.  With a guy like Richardson you are going to need a high end backup.  Minshew is a lot like Hasselback was for Luck just not at the tail end of his career.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t know if there’s anything positive to say about any of the DB’s that started and played a lot of snaps today. I think Gus is really tough on rookies because he doesn’t seem to want anything to do with Jaylon Jones and JuJu Brent’s. They need to be out there tbh.

Thomas and Flowers seem like Ballard’s attempt to prove his late round picks can hit, but I really don’t see how either of them are starters. Flowers can’t make a tackle to save his life, and Thomas doesn’t do much. Baker should not be starting either. I just can’t believe that we rolled into the season and the starting players in our secondary are Darell Baker, Rodney Thomas, Dallis Flowers, and Julian Blackman.  Put the Rookies out of there instead of these unknown small school guys who can’t handle guarding Nico Collins. Once again the Colts allowed an offensive player to have a career best game. 146 yards and a TD is what Collins put up on us. Stroud had almost 400. 

This stuff with the secondary has gone on for too long.

Kenny Moore was good when he wasn’t on the outside which we all know isn’t his strength.

Thomas had a really good year last year.  His performance through two games has been disappointing but he earned his spot starting based on last year.

Id be fine with Jones getting some snaps, especially from Baker, but Brents got destroyed by other teams backups in the pre-season.  He’s just not ready yet.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep.  If I am Ballard I am talking to him about a two three year extension right now.  With a guy like Richardson you are going to need a high end backup.  Minshew is a lot like Hasselback was for Luck just not at the tail end of his career.

There is plenty of time to do an extension imo.   No need to rush it.  I know everyone is excited but it was the Texans with a depleted secondary and team for that matter.  Just keeping things in perspective.

Just now, richard pallo said:

There is plenty of time to do an extension imo.   No need to rush it.  I know everyone is excited but it was the Texans with a depleted secondary and team for that matter.  Just keeping things in perspective.

Right, and on that note, both Nico Collins and Tank Dell looked more effective than Pittman, and no one  would consider either of them to get $20M

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Stroud can run too but chooses not too.  Stroud has also finished both of his games while AR hasn’t finished either.  He’s also up to almost 100 passes without a pick which is really good for a rookie and more impressive when you consider he’s been sacked 11 times in two games.  If the Texans don’t break him like the Colts did with Luck he’s going to be really good for a long time.

Stroud to me didn't look good today. He got a lot of junk yards when we went bend not break/prevent because we had a big lead. I am not saying he is bad or he can't be good but he didn't impress today. We sacked him 6 times as well, he doesn't have near the mobility that AR has. AR got injured on a fluke today. Lets see at the end of the season who has the better stats and more wins, than we can talk more.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah he might not be a star like a Justin Jefferson but the Colts have NOTHING behind him besides Downs who is a slot guy.  Not that being a slot guy is bad but they aren’t number ones.  

yes $20 million is a lot but that’s the going rate for a receiver with Pittman’s type of production.  He’s clearly the Colts best receiver and I don’t see Ballard letting him leave.

20m for Pittman is no problem but 13m for JT is a problem.  Something is out of kilter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There is no way Pittman is getting 20 mill from the Colts snd/or any other team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I have a feeling our OL is going to be very good this year.  I think they are going to keep getting better and better as the season moves along.

Normally the Ravens have a strong defense. I haven't followed them at all this year, but I would expect them to be an indicator of how good our line really is

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stroud to me didn't look good today. He got a lot of junk yards when we went bend not break/prevent because we had a big lead. I am not saying he is bad or he can't be good but he didn't impress today. We sacked him 6 times as well, he doesn't have near the mobility that AR has. AR got injured on a fluke today. Lets see at the end of the season who has the better stats and more wins, than we can talk more.

Yeah disagree.  Stroud looked great today.   If he had a horse shoe on the side of his head people would be raving about his performance.

His sacks speak to his line not him and like I said the Texans have to avoid getting him killed like the Colts did Luck by letting him just get beat up.  

Also wins are a team stat not a QB stat.  The Jets proved last week you can win a game with your QB not helping the cause.  

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

20m for Pittman is no problem but 13m for JT is a problem.  Something is out of kilter.

Yeah it’s the positions they play and the going market value for their positions.  How many mediocre QBs are making way more than star running backs?

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah disagree.  Stroud looked great today.   If he had a horse shoe on the side of his head people would be raving about his performance.

His sacks speak to his line not him and like I said the Texans have to avoid getting him killed like the Colts did Luck by letting him just get beat up.  

Also wins are a team stat not a QB stat.  The Jets proved last week you can win a game with your QB not helping the cause.  

He did indeed look good. But our pass defense was atrocious. Just about any NFL QB would have been able to connect with those wide open receivers

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep. I am sure AR is soaking all it in. He can enjoy the week since we got the win and get well and learn from it. 

hopefully sitting out next weeks game will be eye opening enough. make brave decisions, you end up on the sidelines. 

at the end of the day gotta be smart and avoid the hits

anyone know why Baker is starting and we've seen zero Brents?

• Like 1