Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bernhard Raimann Showed Major Upside vs Eagles

krunk

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Great video, thanks.

3 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

Yes, he's showing continue development, he ans Q will anchor left side pretty good...

We need to find our next RG

Hopefully Freeland makes the same progress.

I really feel like we have all the answers on the team currently. Just need Freeland to develop.

Once he does Smith will be kicking inside, I know some don't want to hear that, but the fact is the Colts didn't draft Freeland to be a swing tackle, they draft him to be the RT of the future.

I expect by next season or even prior, that Freeland will be the man at RT and Smith will be kicking inside.

Got me thinking about why we haven't brought any of the bigger names in? Maybe they are looking for multiple year deal? Colts really only need an upgrade for this season.

But maybe, Fries, O'Donnell, Hambright can hold down RG until Freeland is ready.

Wonder how much of this development is due to Tony Sparano? That was some great technique by Raimann in those videos and he has one heckuva anchor sit.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

He’s done really well in the preseason. 

66 snaps total across all 3 games. 
90.1 pass block grade

79.3 run block grade

86.2 total. 

Those numbers are amazing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, w87r said:

Looking more and more, like Taylor will be lacing them up for the Colts this year.

Rest easy.

I don't see a deal happening, Ballard isn't going to take a crap offer.

I hope you’re right, and I also hope you’re right in your earlier post.  With backups holding down the RG spot until Smith can kick inside, if Freeland develops.  

That would certainly go along with the second part of SS’s mantra - run to win.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, w87r said:

Looking more and more, like Taylor will be lacing them up for the Colts this year.

Rest easy.

I don't see a deal happening, Ballard isn't going to take a crap offer.

since every thread turns into a JT thread I’ll put my two cents in. 

if he’s still on PUP through Tuesday, he’s out for the first 4 weeks of the season. 

now back to our oline… I love Bernard! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Matabix said:

@krunkty

@w87r I would throw Freeland in now with Smith next to him. Might seem small but my favorite play besides AR flapping his arms was Freeland chasing down the int from the otherside of the field. I'm high on Freeland. 

I used to think I was fast back in the day (well, at least in my mind). 

But when a guy 6'8", 300lbs could have run me down when I was young...I'm just glad I'm not playing today, lol!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Matabix said:

@krunkty

@w87r I would throw Freeland in now with Smith next to him. Might seem small but my favorite play besides AR flapping his arms was Freeland chasing down the int from the otherside of the field. I'm high on Freeland. 

Freeland isn't ready yet.

I'm high on him as well, just needs a little more time.

Great athleticism. That was a great hustle play.

Having Smith next to him would help a lot. You can see what having a good guard like Nelson next to him is doing for Raimann. Playing great off each other.

22 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Many on this forum were saying he's a bust, last year. Does this mean they were wrong?

Does it matter?

51 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

now back to our oline… I love Bernard

Yep. Was hoping that part wouldn't get dragged out.

**EDIT I moved those couple post over

I'd be ok with Freeland starting and taking his lumps, IF they move Smith inside.  This is gonna be a learning year for QB, CBs, might as well add RT.  I'm glad Raimann is looking good!  I have high hopes for him

I'd be ok with Freeland starting and taking his lumps, IF they move Smith inside.  This is gonna be a learning year for QB, CBs, might as well add RT.  I'm glad Raimann is looking good!  I have high hopes for him

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

Freeland isn't ready yet.

I'm high on him as well, just needs a little more time.

Great athleticism. That was a great hustle play.

Having Smith next to him would help a lot. You can see what having a good guard like Nelson next to him is doing for Raimann. Playing great off each other.

Does it matter?

Yep. Was hoping that part wouldn't get dragged out.

I think they should start tomorrow. Smith also has to relearn G. In the video Raimann was better than Smith. That right-side is going to get picked on. At least Freeland  an handle Allen's speed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matabix said:

I think they should start tomorrow. Smith also has to relearn G. In the video Raimann was better than Smith. That right-side is going to get picked on. At least Freeland  an handle Allen's speed.

It's hard to argue against, as it presents the best long term fix.

Just wish there was more work in camp. Good thing is Freeland has received a lot of reps out there. Smith, not that I know of, had any inside.

I think it would be seamless transition for him.

Boils down to who can keep Richardson clean back there the best.

Freeland

Fries

O'Donnell

Hambright

Ekiyor(prob PS bound)

Trade/FA

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Great video, thanks.

Hopefully Freeland makes the same progress.

I really feel like we have all the answers in the team currently. Just need Freeland to develop.

Once he does Smith will be kicking inside, I know some don't want to hear that, but the fact is the Colts didn't draft Freeland to be a swing tackle, they draft him to be the RT of the future.

I expect by next season or even prior, that Freeland will be the man at RT and Smith will be kicking inside.

Got me thinking about why we haven't brought any of the bigger names in? Maybe they are looking for multiple year deal? Colts really only need an upgrade for this season.

But maybe, Fries, O'Donnell, Hambright can hold down RG until Freeland is ready.

Wonder how much of this development is due to Tony Sparano? That was some great technique by Raimann in those videos and he has one heckuva anchor sit.

Those numbers are amazing.

I think you guys are dreaming about moving Smith to RG.  You’re beating a dead horse.  Ever hear of the saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  Smith is a great RT.  If not one of the best in the league.  He’s being paid as a tackle.  I’m sure his agent was thrilled when we moved him to tackle.  Now many want to slide him inside.  I’m sure his agent will go for that nor should he.  So let’s * off another player.  Not worth it imo.  We will find a RG.  This year most likely.  Heck he might already be on the roster.  In fact the next few weeks could be telling.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think you guys are dreaming about moving Smith to RG.  You’re beating a dead horse.  Ever hear of the saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  Smith is a great RT.  If not one of the best in the league.  He’s being paid as a tackle.  I’m sure his agent was thrilled when we moved him to tackle.  Now many want to slide him inside.  I’m sure his agent will go for that nor should he.  So let’s * off another player.  Not worth it imo.  We will find a RG.  This year most likely.  Heck he might already be on the roster.  In fact the next few weeks could be telling.

They drafted Freeland to play tackle. Once he's up to speed, Smith will be the RG, Freeland will be RT. I'm thinking mid season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They didn't draft Freeland to be a backup swing tackle, whether you want to admit that or not.

They drafted him to be the future RT. Whether that is to replace Smith all together, or move him inside.

It's not so far fetched of an idea. All the puzzle pieces are there.

Why would Smith's agent or Smith be mad about getting paid $16.6m in 24, $19.75m in 25 to play Guard? He doesn't lose any money and will likely extend his career.

If he wants to leave in FA to be a RT again, he will have the opportunity going into age 30.

I suspect the level he plays at Guard he will be happy to stay inside, even more so as he ages.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

They didn't draft Freeland to be a backup swing tackle, whether you want to admit that or not.

They drafted him to be the future RT. Whether that is to replace Smith all together, or move him inside.

Why would Smith's agent or Smith be mad about getting paid $16.6m in 24, $19.75m in 25 to play Guard? He doesn't lose any money and will likely extend his career.

If he wants to leave in FA to be a RT again, he will have the opportunity going into age 30.

I suspect the level he plays at Guard he will be happy to stay inside, even more so as he ages.

Stop making sense.

talking heads GIF

• Like 1

• w87r changed the title to Bernhard Raimann Showed Major Upside vs Eagles
1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Why? That doesn’t help a rookie QB to have a right tackle taking his lumps when we already have a good one.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's feasible they are hoping he could develop into Smith's replacement by the end of Smith's contract.   As long as Smith doesn't suffer serious injury he should be the backup option in house.  In the mean time he's the swing tackle they hope.  Hopefully he can handle that this year.  For that matter let's hope our tackles stay healthy this year.  And next year we will see where we are.

• Like 1

There's no way he can do well in this league. He is a third round pick and those guys are only aloud to be quality depth. If he wanted to start, then he should of been picked in the first round. We will draft our LT of the future next year with our first rounder. 

*sarcasm*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KB said:

We will draft our LT of the future next year with our first rounder.

Seen that mocked(draft, not made fun of, lol) a few times.

Can't see it.

Hopefully Raimann is over there the next 10 yrs

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

In the mean time he's the swing tackle they hope.  Hopefully he can handle that this year.

Don't even think he needs to be that, Hambright probably got backup LT and backup G spot.

So Freeland can hopefully focus on RT mainly. 

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

O’Donnell looked pretty good at guard last night. 

Thought so to, can't find full snap counts yet. 

Media getting lazy on us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Seen that mocked(draft, not made fun of, lol) a few times.

Can't see it.

Hopefully Raimann is over there the next 10 yrs

Yeah the mock drafts for next year are lazy tbh. Colts have o line problem so the must need a tackle. It seems to them the line is made up of 5 tackles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

AR needs to grow and develop. It will be hard enough with a solid Oline much less one with a RT that's learning himself. Rainmann was solid from the end of last year and looks like he's continued that. Good to see. 

2 hours ago, KB said:

There's no way he can do well in this league. He is a third round pick and those guys are only aloud to be quality depth. If he wanted to start, then he should of been picked in the first round. We will draft our LT of the future next year with our first rounder. 

*sarcasm*

Glad you added *sarcasm*.  I had my fingers itching to go! 😄

Freeland as the RT (and Smith back at RG) with the other rookie as a swing tackle was probably the plan from jump............but Witt ended up on the IR for the year. Which is to say that he was developmental anyways and by putting him on the IR he still gets all the individual work and mental reps without having to potentially lose him from the PS and/or hold a roster spot for him while he develops.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, w87r said:

That’s a really good situation if it’s true.  May I ask what has been said or done to make that true?  Not saying it’s not but I believe Freeland may have 1-2 years of weightlifting and development to do before he is even ready. That’s a long time to wait in the NFL on a devised plan at a non premium position 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like the idea but I have not seen Smith in his preseason work playing any guard. I'd welcome it if I saw it, but I didn't.

Me neither, but while Smith has played near pro bowl caliber RT. He only started RT his rookie year because of injuries and he was best at that time. For me it boils down to if Fries is better at RG than Freeland is at RT. I believe Freeland is better right now. You move a good RT to RG, you may get another all pro at G. With Q, Kelly, and Smith the middle 3 you almost guaranteed yourself a 1st down on a 4th and 2. 

Just makes too much sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

That’s a really good situation if it’s true.  May I ask what has been said or done to make that true?  Not saying it’s not but I believe Freeland may have 1-2 years of weightlifting and development to do before he is even ready. That’s a long time to wait in the NFL on a devised plan at a non premium position 

Animation Design GIF by JDL Creative

I think they look at Freeland in the same light as Raimann, and think the same thing can be done with his athletic traits. 

I also think the team has noticed a little dip in Smith on the outside(still good), and know he can be even better on the inside.

Add that with the lack of additions at the G position. We had our LT and RT entering the draft, and we added 2 tackles.

It just makes sense to me, I know some don't like it or see it as possibility but all the puzzle pieces line up to me on what I think the Colts ultimate plan will be.

When the Colts see these 5 names, which one do you think they would rather have on the field.(assuming they develop like they hope)

Fries

Freeland

O'Donnell 

Hambright

Ekiyor

They took Freeland high in the 4th round. You don't do that with a guy you just want/hoping can be a backup swing tackle.

They hit on Raimann and if Freeland is a hit too, our line is set.

High paid Guards don't matter to much if Tackles are in rookie deals.

If we would bring in a bigger name FA to play Guard that would put us at 4 highly paid lineman right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why? That doesn’t help a rookie QB to have a right tackle taking his lumps when we already have a good one.

With the endless complaints about the dire consequences for Richardson by going forward with our current RG options, you think fixing the pass rush D in Richardson's face, and significantly improving our interior run blocking by putting Smith at RG outweighs what You anticipate will be Freelands deficiencies at RT. 

Today, i hope O'Donnell is > than Fries so that Freeland has a few more months to improve. As I am confident that Smith would be a better G than T, I am rooting for Freeland to be one of our 5 best o-linemen asap.

Just now, w87r said:

I think they look at Freeland in the same light as Raimann, and think the same thing can be done with his athletic traits. 

I also think the team has noticed a little dip in Smith on the outside(still good), and know he can be even better on the inside.

Add that with the lack of additions at the G position. We had our LT and RT entering the draft, and we added 2 tackles.

It just makes sense to me, I know some don't like it or see it as possibility but all the puzzle pieces line up to me on what I think the Colts ultimate plan will be.

When the Colts see these 5 names, which one do you think they would rather have on the field.(assuming they develop like they hope)

Fries

Freeland

O'Donnell 

Hambright

Ekiyor

They took Freeland high in the 4th round. You don't do that with a guy you just want/hoping can be a backup swing tackle.

If we would bring in a bigger name FA to play Guard that would put us at 4 highly paid lineman right now.

It's like looking in a mirror when you see Raimann and Freeland 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

They hit on Raimann and if Freeland is a hit too, our line is set

I just want to know from the posters that seem opposed or skeptical of Smith moving to guard think about this.

Say Freeland does develop and is looking like he is on the trajectory of Raimann.

What do the Colts do? Just leave him on the bench because he isn't playing guard and Smith is at RT, who happens to of came in the league as a guard?

I don't think the Colts drafted Freeland to take over RT this year, but I do firmly believe that was their hope going into next year.

If Freeland is ready come week 6-10 this year, it will be hard to keep him off the field. Smith will need to slide over.

**Pending health for everyone.

56 minutes ago, w87r said:

Fries

Freeland

O'Donnell 

Hambright

Ekiyor

Ok.  The way you were presenting it was like it was a fact. It seems more possible than likely to me. The 4th round is about the spot you take a swing tackle. If it works out the way you say it would be great for the Colts. However, I don’t see that was the plan whether “we like it or not”. You are presenting a theory that has a lot of moving parts. Would be great if it played out that way but it’s far from certain. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Ok.  The way you were presenting it was like it was a fact. It seems more possible than likely to me. The 4th round is about the spot you take a swing tackle. If it works out the way you say it would be great for the Colts. However, I don’t see that was the plan whether “we like it or not”. You are presenting a theory that has a lot of moving parts. Would be great if it played out that way but it’s far from certain. 

The whole thread has been pretty much theories.

Most things I am presenting is facts, working the theory off then.

• Like 1