Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Takeaways from the Bills game

John Hammonds

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, its a new coaching staff, but the same players.  We'll see how it goes.

I also think its becoming more of a problem throughout the league too.

Remember the time the Dolphins blitzed Lamar and the Ravens like 20 times straight a few years ago? Good times… I agree it’s been a problem everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  AR didn’t look over his head and looked like a rookie QB and given how green he is that’s not a bad thing.  I am not worried about the INT, that was a miscommunication which happens to all new QBs.  He will learn from it.  What he did that was really impressive for a rookie QB playing his first game was lead two long drives vs a pretty good defense in the Bills.

2.  The offense was pretty basic but that is to be expected for a pre-season game.  It lets you evaluate players and why give away anything in a game that doesn’t count.

3.  Right side of the line was an issue without Smith.  Fries still needs to develop.  Freehand didn’t get much push which is to be expected for a rookie.  The left side of the line looked better though.

4.  The ground wasn’t awful without JT but no home run threat for sure.

5.  Pierce has me considered.  He’s not a rookie anymore he has to make that catch.  I know last year isn’t the best to judge any WR on but all they can judge you on is what you have done.  Clearly he’s not going to be released or anything but he needs to start producing.  
6.  Minshew looked good as he should as guy with his starting experience playing against other teams twos.

7.  McKenzie looked like an early security blanket for AR.

8.  Leonard played and that was good to see.  
9.  It was against second teamers but Dayo showed a step we haven’t seen from a Colts d-lineman for a while.  
10.  The secondary outside of Baker did not impress me much at all.  With that said I am sure that was watered down too in terms of game planning.  
11.  The Colts did not spend all that money on Gay to have him missing 28 yard field goals, pre-season and windy or not.

12.  Good to see Rigo back.

13.  Zero depth on the back up oline.  
14.  I was fairly sure I saw Mo out there in the second half which is very interesting.

15.  Muhammad played pretty well in his first game back.  He will never be a super star but he’s a solid player.  
16.  Colts have an interesting decision to make on Sam.  Do they keep three QBs to develop him as the backup of the future which I think he could be or do you use that roster spot on someone else and hope you can keep Sam on the PS?

I don't see the point in wasting a spot on Sam. No one is gonna steal him off the PS...I would use that to keep an extra WR or TE. Or a DL rotational piece like AQM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  AR didn’t look over his head and looked like a rookie QB and given how green he is that’s not a bad thing.  I am not worried about the INT, that was a miscommunication which happens to all new QBs.  He will learn from it.  What he did that was really impressive for a rookie QB playing his first game was lead two long drives vs a pretty good defense in the Bills.

2.  The offense was pretty basic but that is to be expected for a pre-season game.  It lets you evaluate players and why give away anything in a game that doesn’t count.

3.  Right side of the line was an issue without Smith.  Fries still needs to develop.  Freehand didn’t get much push which is to be expected for a rookie.  The left side of the line looked better though.

5.  Pierce has me considered.  He’s not a rookie anymore he has to make that catch.  I know last year isn’t the best to judge any WR on but all they can judge you on is what you have done.  Clearly he’s not going to be released or anything but he needs to start producing.  
6.  Minshew looked good as he should as guy with his starting experience playing against other teams twos.

9.  It was against second teamers but Dayo showed a step we haven’t seen from a Colts d-lineman for a while.  
10.  The secondary outside of Baker did not impress me much at all.  With that said I am sure that was watered down too in terms of game planning.  
11.  The Colts did not spend all that money on Gay to have him missing 28 yard field goals, pre-season and windy or not.

14.  I was fairly sure I saw Mo out there in the second half which is very interesting.

15.  Muhammad played pretty well in his first game back.  He will never be a super star but he’s a solid player.  
16.  Colts have an interesting decision to make on Sam.  Do they keep three QBs to develop him as the backup of the future which I think he could be or do you use that roster spot on someone else and hope you can keep Sam on the PS?

I thought Rush looked good with the pick 6.

• Like 2

Just now, krunk said:

I thought Rush looked good with the pick 6.

Yes that play looked good but other than that I didn’t see much from him or anyone else not named Baker that impressed me.  With that said that could also just be basic pre-season scheme and little pass rush too.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've been away from the Colts for a few months.  Who are Baker and Denbow?

Denbow is a safety, he was here last year but got hurt in preseason and was on IR all last year. Played well last year though.

Baker is a 2nd year CB who joined the Colts late last season and has been running with the 1's in camp because Rush and Brents injuries. All reports have been pretty good on him in camp.

I heard the pre-game radio show and heard Rick Venturi talk about Kenny Moore.  He said Kenny Moore has been a completely different player in camp this year than last year.  He said he’s invested and his body language is really good compared to last year and he’s had a great camp so far as a result.  He expect Kenny to return to form this year.  Worth remembering Venturi coached defenses for years so odds are he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to things like body language.  Hopefully it translates to the field as Venturi is predicting.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I heard the pre-game radio show and heard Rick Venturi talk about Kenny Moore.  He said Kenny Moore has been a completely different player in camp this year than last year.  He said he’s invested and his body language is really good compared to last year and he’s had a great camp so far as a result.  He expect Kenny to return to form this year.  Worth remembering Venturi coached defenses for years so odds are he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to things like body language.  Hopefully it translates to the field as Venturi is predicting.

I think a lot of his struggles last year was a new DC that was still trying to understand what his players did best. I think they will have that straightened out this year and he will have him around the ball more.

30 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm at work and will come back and read the full post, however, as I watch the replay (at around the 6 minute mark of the 3rd Quarter) I can tell you that DB #27 (Keven Tolliver III) will be cut..............off the dome he has given up A LOT of receptions so far! 

Yep. I thought his was one of the games worst performances

• Thanks 1

All great observations.  I’ll add that I don’t think there’s any chance that Toliver should even make the PS.  

Granted it could be scheme but it looked to me like he was the guy getting beat on a lot of those long 3rd down conversions that the Bills made.  

We may take some lumps on D until the young DBs develop, especially with the weak pass rush.  

I like Mackenzie and Downs.  Im still wondering to myself what happened with Breshard Perryman?

Haven't seen him anywhere lately.  About the only deep threat we have outside of Pierce and maybe

Dulin.  Speaking of Dulin I didn't see him out there either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like Mackenzie and Downs.  Im still wondering to myself what happened with Breshard Perryman?

Haven't seen him anywhere lately.  About the only deep threat we have outside of Pierce and maybe

Dulin played with the second team WRs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

3.  Right side of the line was an issue without Smith.  Fries still needs to develop.  Freeland didn’t get much push which is to be expected for a rookie.  The left side of the line looked better though.

17.  Strachan by all accounts has had a great camp and played well today.  Do the Colts have the roster spot to see if he can do it in a real game now?

bonus nonColts point, great to see Hamlin back out there today for the Bills.  

I think Sam E is kept, plus I don’t think he’s even PS eligible anymore

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Downs in practice was running deeps too. he can do it

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think Sam E is kept, plus I don’t think he’s even PS eligible anymore

Downs in practice was running deeps too. he can do it

They changed the practice squad rules a couple of years ago so you can have up to six players with unlimited seasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you’re assuming facts that are not known.   Has Pittman even been offered a contract to turn down?    I haven’t read that he’s been offered yet.   

Not that I have heard of, but the Colts are very tight-lipped. I am not sure if a contract has been offered, but I bet the Colts know what number Pittman and hoa Agent want . 

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Seems to me paying Dulin was a mistake. You can find good special team players late in the draft. Not quite o underhand why he was brought back on a multi year contract after last season. 

He's a phenomenal special teams player. People have to remember their r three parts of a team. Offense, defence, and special teams.  People get hung up on the hype and forget the impact of a player like Dulin and how  his 'dirty work'  afects the flow of a game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think we went for it on 4th and 1 a couple of times when AR was quarterback and we didn’t try a sneak with a 6’4” 244 lb quarterback.  I was surprised at that.

It’s pre-season.  Why expose your QB to a hit there for a game that doesn’t count?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s pre-season.  Why expose your QB to a hit there for a game that doesn’t count?

I think they had some designed runs for him.  If he was a small quarterback I could see the hesitation but he’s huge.  So I’m not really concerned about him getting hit on a sneak.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think they had some designed runs for him.  If he was a small quarterback I could see the hesitation but he’s huge.  So I’m not really concerned about him getting hit on a sneak.

You don’t do it with a sneak in a pre-season game.  Some teams don’t even like to do it in a regular season game with a QB.  The announcers even pointed out on the broad cast if it was a regular season game you’d probably see a sneak but this was the pre-season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He's a phenomenal special teams player. People have to remember they’re r three parts of a team. Offense, defence, and special teams.  People get hung up on the hype and forget the impact of a player like Dulin and how  his 'dirty work'  afects the flow of a game.

LOL.

40 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I don't know if if just me, but Richardson looked so fast on the field, like he's in fast forwatd.  It was weird.

I think it's because we had 2 corpses last year so your brain isn't processing it well. :thmup:

I agree though he looks like he's barely trying and he's going 100mph it seemed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My soft takes with lots of caveats about small sample size:

1. AR is not ready to win(he will make rookie mistakes that might cost us a game or two)... BUT he very well might be ready to play and learn. He didn't look overwhelmed, he looked poised and in control for the most part. His INT was a combo of miscommunication/bad route by McKenzie and bad decision to throw that ball once the play was disrupted. Loved how he responded to the INT - no panic, no drop of confidence. Got out there and lead 2 long drives against a playoff starting defense. He still throws high on some of his intermediate throws(had 2 passes high to Pittman, one caught one way too high). There seems to be some improvement on the touch on short throws and on the screens, but he still rifles some passes where a bit more touch is needed. Overall I thought positive game for AR and some mistakes to learn from. Had some great passes to Granson and Pierce. That out throw to Pierce was sublime! And it wasn't just arm strength... he put arc and touch on it too. 

2. The starting OL was GOOD! I rewatched their snaps with Richardson. They were actually beating the Bills starters, something that didn't happen last year. We moved the ball both on the ground and in the air. They created space for the RBs and they kept AR relatively clean. We still got stonewalled on the 3d and 4th and 1, but that's when everybody knew what we were going to do. IMO in a real NFL game they will likely use AR to get that yardage and they will actually get it. Positive game from the starting OL I thought. The reserves were a mixed bag... kind of expected. They looked overwhelmed in the very beginning, but they also had one great drive with Minshew where they protected him well enough to allow him to dissect the Bills zone on his TD drive.  

3. Starting CBs were OK... maybe they didn't get tested too much. but I am glad they didn't get abused or something... the 2nd and 3d team CBs on the other hand need work... 

4. Pierce needs to be better, McKenzie needs to be better... we need more consistency in the pass-catching unit altogether. I think Downs should be starting instead of McKenzie. 

5. Minshew is a pro QB. He knows what he's doing... but he also has a low ceiling and we know what he is. He's a high level back up, spot starter type. The best thing is... he seems to know what he is too. 

6. IMO Steichen needs to make his decision on the QB and make it quick. If we will be starting AR, he needs to develop better chemistry with his starting WRs, that type of miscommunication cannot be happening in real games. And right now we are wasting valuable reps he can be having with them. This week's joint practices IMO needs to be the last time we don't have a clear QB1. 

• Like 8

Here's what I saw, and quite frankly all I was truly looking to see IN THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME.................do our young guys LOOK and CARRY themselves like NFL caliber players.........my answer is a resounding yes.

AR5 did not shrink in the moment, he played with poise, and he played with confidence. He led a couple decent drives AFTER the INT and that is what you would hope to see - confidence in his ability. Does he look like an NFL QB - absolutely. For the nay sayers I remember a certain Andrew Luck that had a tendency to shoot high on his passes as a rookie too......so Shhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Freeland stepped up in his first true NFL action against a top 5 defense and more than held his own. Sure, he could use a bit more strength but a rookie taking his first snaps when he was not expected to start this year that was huge. He showed he belongs too. 

The young quartet of Brents, Jones, Baker Jr. and Rush all had their individual ups and downs in coverage, but they looked the part of NFL caliber CB's and did not look lost. Pair them with Kenny and Dallis and those 6 CBs are the future (well maybe not Kenny after this year). All 5 youngsters are 6'+. 190+ with good speed, long arms, productive in college, and athletic scores of 9+ to boot.  You want a comparison - look how lost Toliver (#27) was or even Taylor-Stuart (#37)............you can see in the body language how much different those players are.

Downs is a playmaker. Full stop.

Speaking of WR's, I'm liking this philosophical change from Ballard in the WR room (likely with Steichen's input) ...........with your X and Z receivers in the 6'3" to 6'5" height range and your TE's in the 6'2" to 6'7" range it's nice to have Y receivers in the mold of Downs, McKenzie and Rodgers in the 5'9" range. Not only can those three get open based on their skillsets underneath, but they also have the advantage of running in the land of giants without (potentially) being seen at times...........they are like little jitterbugs out there! 

Speaking of TE's - damn we have a room full of dawgs!!!!! Someone will need to be traded as I just don't think we can slip those guys on the PS? Also, all but Mallory were drafted prior to Steichen so he may not like the giants we've accumulaed and may like Gransen and Mallory for his offense???? Something to think about.

Personally, I like the mixture of skillsets they have accumulated this offseason. With Steichen's influence on the roster, it will be difficult to predict who makes the 53 this year because of the mostly new offensive staff and philosophies.

• Like 8