Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson is bad

lennymoore24

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hull is the real deal.  I'll just say it now.  He's got the quick vision to find the open space and the forward lean to maintain some balance after contact.   Not an allpro centerpiece, but the versatile RB outlet the Colts need.  The only concern at this point is speed.

Hull also made a heckuva tackle on the 1Q pick.  Looked almost like a linebacker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Serious question: What do fans expect from a rookie in his first game?

Richardson's performance was as good as anyone could expect. I watched many games since Thursday and everyone looked just okay. Fields probably looked best of all the QBs I saw, but he only threw 3 passes, two which went for 2 TDs. One cannot expect a rookie to come in and do that. 

Plus Fields had like 1 air yard.  Two extremely short passes the dudes he threw to took to the house.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Plus Fields had like 1 air yard.  Two extremely short passes the dudes he threw to took to the house.

Both TD passes were thrown behind the line of scrimmage. The stat sheet looks great but by watching the game, you realize that the performance was not as great as the stats would suggest. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Both TD passes were thrown behind the line of scrimmage. The stat sheet looks great but by watching the game, you realize that the performance was not as great as the stats would suggest. 

It's more impressive of Moore and Herbert to take those passes to the house than the actual passes themselves. Fields reminds me of Tebow the way he throws, but a much better runner. 

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's more impressive of Moore and Herbert to take those passes to the house than the actual passes themselves. Fields reminds me of Tebow the way he throws, but a much better runner. 

Oh yeah, that is my point. Fields had two receivers that made good plays but the stats appear like Fields had a much better day than he really had. (He only had three passes.)

He does not remind me of Tebow at all. Tebow was a better version of Tommie Frazer who won National Championships with Nebraska. I think Fields is a better passer than Tebow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

my first impression is not that he is bad. 

pretty much exactly what I expected, an athletic monster who will overthrow the ball occasionally. 

but to go from Ryan to Richardson? I'm ecstatic. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Aces101 said:

OP - how’d you feel watching Manning play his first season? Was he terrible?

How about Jeff George during his first few seasons as a Colt? 

Yes, but he was up against Marino and everyone looked bad against him!!

My brain will not recognize George.

I did not see the game but one hi-light showed him attempt to pass with his legs looking like he was riding a rodeo bull. I actually laughed.

6 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I find it so funny how everyone is going out of their way to elevate this guy and his play.  Venturi raps up game by saying how impressed he was wtih Richadson. ha  What a joke. You mean the guy who threw a terrible interception and threw a number of balls either too high or off target?  Sorry, just because we spend the number 4 pick on a QB and HOPE he becomes good doesn't make him good.  He is and will always be what she showed in college. Which is he has great athletic skills.  But he makes bad decisions, has terrible ball placement, and is inaccurate.

I have never, ever seen a running QB who played one year of college football, have a losing record, barely completely over 50% of his passes, get into the pros and become a good passing QB.  No Josh Allen didn't play one year of college football. Sorry.  I have been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore.  I love the Colts.  But I am not going to drink the Kool-Aid and just because the guy was a high pick, cheer about how good he is.  If Sam Ehlinger had that same performance, we would probably say he should be 3rd string.   It was a wasted pick, he is going to be a terrible failure as an ACCURATE, GOOD DECISIONS NFL QB, and I will look back at this 2-3 years from now when they have to clean house as him being what finally took it down.  It is too bad, because I think Ballard is a good GM and I think Steichen could be a good coach.  Gardner Minshew is clearly as better all around NFL QB than Richardson, but Irsay won't allow that to happen.  Sad.

Oh well, Art Schlichter needs company as a bust #1 QB pick for the Colts :)  Richardson will never come close to be anywhere near Jeff George's overall career.

Nothing to  see here he meant he is bad to the bone

Not sure if AR's int was even all on him. Was his footwork bad and was it a bit of a panic throw... yes. Was it also supposed to be an RPO timing throw, also yes. The timing was a bit off because the bills brought a lot or pressure on most plays. Also, it  looked like AR was expecting Mckenzie to run a flat route and instead he ran a 5yd out. Might be a wrong route on the wr.. if it was supposed to br a 5yd out, it was a poorly run route as he rounded it off. This effects the depth of the route and the timing. It's preseason and the place to make those mistakes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

So you’re judging a kid off of 12 snaps? Claiming he’s bad. Geez dude. I know he is a project and may very well bust but at least give the kid a shot.

@2006Coltsbestever told you people would start claiming AR was a bust after 1 snap…

Yeah some need to chill. AR didn't even play that bad. He should have  had a TD on a perfect pass but Pierce dropped it. To me, AR looked like he had been in the league a couple years already. I liked his presence.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah some need to chill. AR didn't even play that bad. He should have  had a TD on a perfect pass but Pierce dropped it. To me, AR looked like he had been in the league a couple years already. I liked his presence.

even if we suck this year, at least it won't be torture to watch. 

i wasn't even mad at him for the interception, he came back and played as well as any of the other rookies, maybe better

• Like 6

I think the best thing about this thread — now well over 100 posts — is that I found only one other poster who agrees with the OP.   And that includes several who admit they’re not very high on AR, but realize it’s ridiculous to make a conclusion based on one pre-season game.  

Richardson is going to need years of work, not a few games of work.  More than anything else, the kid is going to need patience. 

• Like 7

It's like you dislike the team you support to claim.

One would think, the fanbase of the Colts would be patient and understanding bunch given the fact that the most beloved and legendary player of the Colts, Manning, started off his career by breaking the rookie int record. 

That's a whole season of bad, not 15 minutes, give the kid a break, he is 21 years for god sakes. Ever heard about nerves lmao 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I find it so funny how everyone is going out of their way to elevate this guy and his play.  Venturi raps up game by saying how impressed he was wtih Richadson. ha  What a joke. You mean the guy who threw a terrible interception and threw a number of balls either too high or off target?  Sorry, just because we spend the number 4 pick on a QB and HOPE he becomes good doesn't make him good.  He is and will always be what she showed in college. Which is he has great athletic skills.  But he makes bad decisions, has terrible ball placement, and is inaccurate.

I have never, ever seen a running QB who played one year of college football, have a losing record, barely completely over 50% of his passes, get into the pros and become a good passing QB.  No Josh Allen didn't play one year of college football. Sorry.  I have been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore.  I love the Colts.  But I am not going to drink the Kool-Aid and just because the guy was a high pick, cheer about how good he is.  If Sam Ehlinger had that same performance, we would probably say he should be 3rd string.   It was a wasted pick, he is going to be a terrible failure as an ACCURATE, GOOD DECISIONS NFL QB, and I will look back at this 2-3 years from now when they have to clean house as him being what finally took it down.  It is too bad, because I think Ballard is a good GM and I think Steichen could be a good coach.  Gardner Minshew is clearly as better all around NFL QB than Richardson, but Irsay won't allow that to happen.  Sad.

Oh well, Art Schlichter needs company as a bust #1 QB pick for the Colts :)  Richardson will never come close to be anywhere near Jeff George's overall career.

You have been a member of this board since 2013 and a fan as far back as Baltimore............congratulation you watched Johnny U and Bert Jones (when healthy) have HoF and solid careers, respectfully.

Since the move to Indy here is a laundry list of QB's that I would take Anthony Richardson talent over every day of the week and twice on Sundays:

Mike Pagel

Art Schlichter

Mark Hermann

Jack Trudeau

Gary Hogeboom

Chris Chandler

Jeff George <------- You think this clown has a better career than AR will have? A 46-78 Career Record with 7 Teams (Raiders 2x)

Jim Harbaugh

Curtis Painter

Dan Orlovsky

Kerry Collins

Matt Hasselbeck

Josh Freeman

Scott Tolzien

Jacoby Brissett

Bryan Hoyer

Phillip Rivers

Carson Wentz

Matt Ryan

Nick Foles

So this begs the question - you'd run those guys out there before AR? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the best thing about this thread — now well over 100 posts — is that I found only one other poster who agrees with the OP.   And that includes several who admit they’re not very high on AR, but realize it’s ridiculous to make a conclusion based on one pre-season game.  

Richardson is going to need years of work, not a few games of work.  More than anything else, the kid is going to need patience. 

I think it will definitely take him at least a full year to become good. I think in year 2, he can be good. For his game on Saturday, to me he didn't look overwhelmed by the situation. Had nice presence and had a perfect 30 yard TD pass to Pierce that was dropped. I thought after the INT, he looked above average if anything. We will see in his 2nd game what he looks like. He played against Buffalo 1's as well.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nate! said:

This!!!! Now Fields has a legit wr1 in Moore that can take a 2 yd pass and go 62 yds down the sidelines. Fields other td pass was about a 4 yd one to the rb that took it roughly 45 yds to the house. PLAYMAKERS who can get YAC make any qb's job easier even with a bad o-line because that quick 1 to 2 yd pass can still lead to six. This is what I feel the Colts lack. Imo Taylor is the only one on this roster that can do that but he's in limbo with the team right now. Josh Downs has that potential but it's too early to tell yet. I do hope they take Downs off return duties to limit the possibility of injury and focus more on his skillset in the passing game.

Now on to this NONSENSE about Richardson who by all accounts looked BETTER than any of the top 4 qbs picked. They all made some rookie mistakes (expected) but I was more ENCOURAGED with what I saw from Richardson and his growth so far. He showed poise against one of the nfl's top defenses, didn't get rattled after the early int, led the team on two long drives after starting with very poor field position. I thought AR caught some unfortunate breaks like the td dime drop by Pierce, the SHORT miss fg by our highest paid kicker, AR had a nice run called back due to penalty and the 4th down stall in which the o-line couldn't move anything to help Hull get a single yd.

As for the others... Young looked very avg in Reich's bland offense that saw him take some BIG hits in his limited action. Stroud looked slow on the field and slow to process overall. Levis had a bad late int but his pocket awareness that was BAD in college looked even WORSE at this level as he took 4 sacks in partial play. Hasselbeck said that he was most disappointed in Levis. I think it’s way too early to make any calls after one preseason game but I'll take Richardson's upside right now over Matt Ryan's shell from last season!!

I say again the great Patrick Mahomes was only at a 56% completion rate after his freshman season but he had a unique skillset that was DEVELOPED and blossomed into the FINISHED product that you see today. No one saw Hurts becoming what he has become either. Same with Allen. Like @krunk said Luck's rookie season saw him throw MANY off target high passes. Manning was a interception machine his first season so much so that he set the rookie record for throwing picks. The bottom line is that if you don't like Richardson it will be easy and unfortunate to nitpick the barely 21 yr old with ONLY 13 career college starts under his belt as he develops into hopefully a franchise qb.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You have been a member of this board since 2013 and a fan as far back as Baltimore............congratulation you watched Johnny U and Bert Jones (when healthy) have HoF and solid careers, respectfully.

Since the move to Indy here is a laundry list of QB's that I would take Anthony Richardson talent over every day of the week and twice on Sundays:

Mike Pagel

Art Schlichter

Mark Hermann

Jack Trudeau

Gary Hogeboom

Chris Chandler

Jeff George <------- You think this clown has a better career than AR will have? A 46-78 Career Record with 7 Teams (Raiders 2x)

Jim Harbaugh

Curtis Painter

Dan Orlovsky

Kerry Collins

Matt Hasselbeck

Josh Freeman

Scott Tolzien

Jacoby Brissett

Bryan Hoyer

Phillip Rivers

Carson Wentz

Matt Ryan

Nick Foles

The OP has trolled in the past. I have been here long enough to see it over the years.

The good to great QB's we have had here in Indianapolis are:

1. Peyton = great

2. Luck = very good 

3. Harbaugh = good

4. Rivers = good as a Colt

*very respectable but outside of that we have had a lot of stink lol. AR has a chance to be the 3rd best QB we have ever had here. I believe that.

Matt Hasselbeck played pretty well at times in relief too. Brissett was a great backup, average starter.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Mike Pagel

Art Schlichter

Mark Hermann

Jack Trudeau

Gary Hogeboom

Chris Chandler

Jim Harbaugh

Curtis Painter

Dan Orlovsky

Kerry Collins

Matt Hasselbeck

Josh Freeman

Scott Tolzien

Jacoby Brissett

Bryan Hoyer

Phillip Rivers

Carson Wentz

Matt Ryan

Nick Foles

Missed one 

6 hours ago, AKB said:

if pierce catches that ball the conversation would be totally different, people need to chill. 

I believe the poster would have written the same post. If you read the post, it seems like it is written by someone who did not watch the game. He talked about Richardson's experience in college and calling him a running QB. He did not analyze the game. Now, @bluephantom87did a great job detailing what he saw Richardson do and how poised he was. It is clear he watched the game. I don't think Lenny watched. His post was a rant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I believe the poster would have written the same post. If you read the post, it seems like it is written by someone who did not watch the game. He talked about Richardson's experience in college and calling him a running QB. He did not analyze the game. Now, @bluephantom87did a great job detailing what he saw Richardson do and how poised he was. It is clear he watched the game. I don't think Lenny watched. His post was a rant.

Lenny would have said Richardson sucked had he thrown for 100 yards, a TD, and no INT. That is Lenny's way lol. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

More than anything else, the kid is going to need patience. 

True statement, though I think Anthony has patience. It’s the fans who need to realize it’s going to take a couple of years for him to get comfortable and figure things out. 

I’m expecting a lot of mistakes, shoot he might even make Manning’s day by breaking the rookie interception record. But I’m also expecting a lot of “wow!” moments each game. And we already had both yesterday. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I also thought he should have scored on that QB run he did in the redzone, but it looked to me that he dove for the endzone a bit early instead of taking a few more steps before either diving or just bulldozing somebody over. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NFLfan said:

If he was bad, then all of the rookie quarterbacks were bad. Richardson looked the best among all the rookie quarterbacks I saw, including Young, Levis, Stroud, and Jaren Hall. 

So far, the only rookie QB who seems to have landed seamlessly has been Stetson Bennett whose experience is showing up

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NFLfan said:

If he was bad, then all of the rookie quarterbacks were bad. Richardson looked the best among all the rookie quarterbacks I saw, including Young, Levis, Stroud, and Jaren Hall. 

I thought Stetson looked really good after a shaky start

• Like 1