Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts bringing in Hunt for visit tomorrow.

Indyfan4life

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm guessing Hunt will sign with the Saints now because of Kamara's suspension. We were an option because of Taylor's holdout, but didn't actually sign him. Probably a low-ball offer, as a few have said. Ballard may not value him that much more over guys like Drake and Hull. 

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. 

Press said Colts offered more money than the Saints but maybe the Saints panicked and offered more to agent when he was in town. Doubt the Colts reneged on there offer that got him here. Colts aren't as ruthless as some may think but who knows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would he?  I'm guessing Hunt wanted more than 5 million

Probably.

Apparently, Hunt had a "great" visit in New Orleans.  If they made an offer, he would have had to beat that offer if he wanted Hunt badly enough.  So....  What if he made a lesser offer than theirs?  That would be pretty stupid.  On the other hand, he could have seen the twitter backlash from Colts fans concerned about Hunt's possible character issues, and found a simple way to back out of this situation:  Low-ball the offer.

1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

Press said Colts offered more money than the Saints but maybe the Saints panicked and offered more to agent when he was in town. Doubt the Colts reneged on there offer that got him here. Colts aren't as ruthless as some may think but who knows. 

Interesting. Thanks for telling me that! :thmup:

12 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

If both offers are below what he wants it makes sense to wait it out and see if someone moves their offer or another team materializes that will pay what he wants.

24 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Probably.

Apparently, Hunt had a "great" visit in New Orleans.  If they made an offer, he would have had to beat that offer if he wanted Hunt badly enough.  So....  What if he made a lesser offer than theirs?  That would be pretty stupid.  On the other hand, he could have seen the twitter backlash from Colts fans concerned about Hunt's possible character issues, and found a simple way to back out of this situation:  Low-ball the offer.

Could he have? Maybe…

But personally I doubt Ballard cares much what the public thinks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm guessing Hunt will sign with the Saints now because of Kamara's suspension. We were an option because of Taylor's holdout, but didn't actually sign him. Probably a low-ball offer, as a few have said. Ballard may not value him that much more over guys like Drake and Hull. 

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. 

I think this is correct. 

Ballard low-balled Hunt

• Like 1

I'm sure the Colts offered Hunt a $2-$3m deal.

He probably is wanting something in the $5-$6m range.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Colts just signed RB Jason Huntley.  Ex-Eagle, who knows the offense, but was not much more than a practice squad player.

This makes sense this late in the week.

Should at least have some working knowledge of the plays, so if need be can take some of the RB snaps on Saturday.

Right now, we only have.

Drake

Hull

Funk

Huntley 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

Or maybe he’s just mulling over offers and deciding which is the best fit for him? Idk. 

I think you are right, Hunt has already said that he needs to be patient and as training camp continues there's more injuries and more need at the RB position. As with Mack going down now Arizona may need another RB, my guess Hunt is letting all the offers come in and then will take the best one. I don't think we low-balled him like others posted as it was reported to be more than the saints, I just think Hunt is playing it smart since he is negotiating with a position of strength right now where most RBs aren't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Anyone think that perhaps since he worked out for the colts that they saw something that they didn’t like as much as they did prior? 

No no, they're clearly so desperate that they called him in the middle of his visit with the Saints to pry him away from their facility with a much higher offer, and simultaneously so frugal that once he finally got here, they low-balled him with an insultingly cheap offer. Somehow, both of those things are happening at the same time.

We can be certain that Hunt was great in his workout, and eager to be a Colt, and that the team somehow screwed up the opportunity to sign him and it's going to cost them on the field, and ruin their reputation. 

/s

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

No no, they're clearly so desperate that they called him in the middle of his visit with the Saints to pry him away from their facility with a much higher offer, and simultaneously so frugal that once he finally got here, they low-balled him with an insultingly cheap offer. Somehow, both of those things are happening at the same time.

We can be certain that Hunt was great in his workout, and eager to be a Colt, and that the team somehow screwed up the opportunity to sign him and it's going to cost them on the field, and ruin their reputation. 

/s

insulting cheap offer?   Do we know this for sure?   It could’ve been the Colts wanted a two year deal and the player wanted a one.   Or the breakdown might’ve been over how much was guaranteed?   

But since we called Hunt and offered a better offer than the Saints did, I’m reluctant for now to call the Colts offer “low ball” and certainly not “insultingly low ball”.   

For what it’s worth, I made a similar post earlier today. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

/s

You nailed it Supe. We totally suck when it comes to dealing with free agents. 

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

insulting cheap offer?   Do we know this for sure?   It could’ve been the Colts wanted a two year deal and the player wanted a one.   Or the breakdown might’ve been over how much was guaranteed?   

But since we called Hunt and offered a better offer than the Saints did, I’m reluctant for now to call the Colts offer “low ball” and certainly not “insultingly low ball”.   

I know it can be hard to pick up sarcasm on a forum, but I feel confident saying the post you responded to was dripping with sarcasm. Not sure anymore sarcasm could be applied to it!

• Thanks 3

This guy isn't that good so does it really matter?? These lower tier guys all seem the same.

Some are acting like he's a 1500/yd a year guy.

If it ain't JT it'll be one or several of these lower level guys.

23 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I know it can be hard to pick up sarcasm on a forum, but I feel confident saying the post you responded to was dripping with sarcasm. Not sure anymore sarcasm could be applied to it!

Ok….   Thanks.   My sarcasm meter doesn’t always work so well.   I always encourage the use of emojis to help.  

For now, I’ll assume you’re right unless @Superman says otherwise…..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

And the post was finished with the "end sarcasm" tag.    /s

So I think it might be sarcasm. Just maybe.

/s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

/s

The fact you have to /s this comment is…concerning. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I used the /s and everything. Definitely wasn't a serious post.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shive said:

Cincy can do what they want and it has nothing to do with the Colts or our fan base.

We should be looking at it through the lens of Hunt and our team, not how other fanbases treat players that have committed similar acts.

I agree 100%. I even posted above earlier that I didn't think we would sign him because of his past. I was just pointing out how fan bases can differ. 

For all of those saying the Colts "low-balled" Hunt  or whatever other narrative you want to play out in your mind, it was reported that basically the Colts' offer was already better than the Saints' offer. We knew that when they called to get him up here during his Saints' visit.

That said, one of the Saints' beat writers confirmed it. Basically, the Saints and Colts offers were similar but sounds like the Colts had more guaranteed money and didn't backload it like the Sants did. 

Definitely seems like Hunt visited, got our offer and now is basically wanting to take other visits to other interested teams and shop our offer around to see if he can beat it.

It is what it is. These vets that are unsigned will start signing soon since camps and off-season activities are mostly over as pre-season games kick off and prep for the season in truly here now. 

So we will see where people land in short order.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

For all of those saying the Colts "low-balled" Hunt  or whatever other narrative you want to play out in your mind, it was reported that basically the Colts' offer was already better than the Saints' offer. We knew that when they called to get him up here during his Saints' visit.

That said, one of the Saints' beat writers confirmed it. Basically, the Saints and Colts offers were similar but sounds like the Colts had more guaranteed money and didn't backload it like the Sants did. 

Definitely seems like Hunt visited, got our offer and now is basically wanting to take other visits to other interested teams and shop our offer around to see if he can beat it.

It is what it is. These vets that are unsigned will start signing soon since camps and off-season activities are mostly over as pre-season games kick off and prep for the season in truly here now. 

So we will see where people land in short order.

This is just people being upset because they made up narrative in their head and it didn’t play out the way they expected so now they are blaming someone for it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Funny, I was a season ticket holder for years and had tickets in various seats in the old stadium and new stadium. Would spend time at St Elmo's and other pubs and restaurant before and after the games. Almost all fans around me in the stands and fans in the bar are pretty much diehard Colts fans are diehard fans of the team we where playing. With the price of tickets the people that go there only for the fun shocks me. There are many more places to go than an NFL game if you are not a fan and go only to have fun. Shocking!

Like I said I’m betting it’s a 50-50 thing.  At work we are probably what you consider diehard fans. We talk about the Colts often along with other sports.  We discussed this very topic and I asked them who can name the most draft picks from this year. I was able to name the most with 4 off the top of my head. I understand it’s a small sample size and not apples to apples but the point is, people are not as in tune with the fine details of the team as you may think. I’m sure there are plenty of ticket holders that can name the whole roster but I’m betting there are just as many that can only name the starters. The general consensus with all of us were that season ticket holders most likely Colts fans that have more time and money to go to that many games and not necessarily more knowledge. It’s one of those answers we can never get though so who knows lol. 

12 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Funny, I was a season ticket holder for years and had tickets in various seats in the old stadium and new stadium. Would spend time at St Elmo's and other pubs and restaurant before and after the games. Almost all fans around me in the stands and fans in the bar are pretty much diehard Colts fans are diehard fans of the team we where playing. With the price of tickets the people that go there only for the fun shocks me. There are many more places to go than an NFL game if you are not a fan and go only to have fun. Shocking!

I never had season tickets but over a span from 1987-2013 I attended roughly 45 games, also ate at St. Elmo most of the time when I would go to games, just make a day of it. I probably seen you and didn't even know who you were lol. I seen a lot of the same faces when I did go to games. 

I agree with your post as someone that can back up what you are saying :thmup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is just people being upset because they made up narrative in their head and it didn’t play out the way they expected so now they are blaming someone for it.

I'm the one who started the "low-balled" narrative.

And I'll admit -- I took the common opinion of Ballard, saying that he always plays it cheap, and applied it to a situation that may or may not have called for it.

MY FAULT!  :corner:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm the one who started the "low-balled" narrative.

And I'll admit -- I took the common opinion of Ballard, saying that he always plays it cheap, and applied it to a situation that may or may not have called for it.

MY FAULT!  :corner:

You know what? No need to apologize! You were just speculating like everyone else. If others took your post as fact, that's more of their problem. You're not an official reporter for the national media or anything, so our discussions on here are essentially the equivalent of bar-talk. Just bull-you-know-what-ing around until we get a more concrete solution to this whole thing.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

RBBC consisting of Hull, Moss, and Drake would be perfectly fine.

Perhaps this is where a Zavier Scott or Jake Funk slip into the opening day mix with Moss's injury and JT's ego.......

Put #49 on Funk and run the old Walsh offense.

• Like 1

Zack Moss and Deon Jackson unavailable, Hunt has less mileage (but more baggage) than Fournette in the FA market because of how he’s been used in his career.

If a $4 million a year deal gets it done for Hunt, we just bought ourselves some leverage at least.