Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's your sleeper 2023 Colt player?

AKB

Personally, I am the most excited about EJ sleep in terms of sleeper, or underrated players on the Colts.  If you go and watch Speed's snaps (although limited) he is an absolute beast. Incredible quickness, long arms, decisive tackler.  

I see Speed stepping right in where Okereke left off last season. Speed has been sitting behind our strong linebacking corps for a little while now and I think he is ready to absolutely ball out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• AKB changed the title to Who's your sleeper 2023 Colt player?
18 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Speed could be a good pick.  hes been really good against the run, has gotten a sack and i think blocked a kick.

They dont seem to use him much in coverage, at least not yet

He goes forward well.

In zone he has to me, looked kinda lost. Hopefully a few hundred snaps will help him on his journey. I'm hoping Jojo is a surprise.

I would believe Woods will break out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm interested in seeing what SS can do with Jelani Woods

Agreed.

The way they utilized him, or more accurately, underutilized him last season, was almost criminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AKB said:

i wonder if nick cross sees the field much

He was getting playing time early in the season, but something changed. I thought Thomas played well when he got a chance.

Do you think he leap froged Cross?

1 hour ago, Dunk said:

He was getting playing time early in the season, but something changed. I thought Thomas played well when he got a chance.

Do you think he leap froged Cross?

well no, I don't think that was the case. 

They put Thomas at FS (in Gus's scheme typically deep middle third single high) 

I believe it was just a matter of McLeoad coming in and providing a very solid, vet experience. McLeod didn't get burnt much,. and was a very sure tackler, and probably understood the defense better than a 20-year-old nick cross. 

Obviously, Blackmon is naturally more of a SS compared to an FS, and many on this forum have stated that. So perhaps McLeod (vet) gets replaced at SS by another more experienced player (Blackmon). I'm assuming Cross comes in during our heavy nickel packages where we run more than 2 safeties or some exotic looks. I also expect Cross to be a staple special teamer. 

Hopefully he can learn via special teams and come in for an injury or to spell Blackmon/Thomas

23 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Maybe at Free Safety??

Thomas's job to lose? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AKB said:

good pick. im excited for both rookie CBs

Red Sox Magic Number GIF by NBC Sports Boston

I will take Jaylon Jones, since you're extra sleeping on him. Lol

On a serious note, I do like all 3 of our rookie CB's though, I can see all 3 playing a big role.(they're gonna need to)

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Red Sox Magic Number GIF by NBC Sports Boston

I will take Jaylon Jones, since you're extra sleeping on him. Lol

On a serious note, I do like all 3 of our rookie CB's though, I can see all 3 playing a big role.(they're gonna need to)

I'm hoping Jones is one of those "too slow" to play the position guys that has a really high FB IQ and plays physical. A really good playmaker in the 1st 15 or so yards of the zone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Darius Rush.

I think this is my pick mainly based on opportunity. As it stands now, there is clear path for him to fight for starting spot... and I thought he was undervalued in the draft. I liked him better than Brents pre-draft... so... this will be my bold take today - it will be Rush who actually gets a starting spot and plays well on the outside for us. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Look out for Josh Downs having a surprising big rookie season.

Good choice, I got fired up watching his college highlights after we drafted him. Finds a way to get open, catches everything.

• Like 1

I’m going to cheat a bit here.   I’d say a sleeper will emerge out of the entire group of defensive lineman.   All EXCEPT Buckner and Stewart.   Someone out of the rest of that group.   

So….   Paye or Dayo…

Ebukum or Lewis…

Bryan or Tomi…

Johnson or Leo….

And on and on….

Someone out of that group hopefully breaks out and becomes an impact player.   Quite frankly, if the Colts finally catch a break with D-Lineman, perhaps SEVERAL players would emerge.  The Colts are long overdue to have D-Lineman play at the level the team has expected they’ll play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m going to cheat a bit here.   I’d say a sleeper will emerge out of the entire group of defensive lineman.   All EXCEPT Buckner and Stewart.   Someone out of the rest of that group.   

So….   Paye or Dayo…

Ebukum or Lewis…

Bryan or Tomi…

Johnson or Leo….

And on and on….

Someone out of that group hopefully breaks out and becomes an impact player.   Quite frankly, if the Colts finally catch a break with D-Lineman, perhaps SEVERAL players would emerge.  The Colts are long overdue to have D-Lineman play at the level the team has expected they’ll play.

cheater