Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 3rd best draft by major outlet consensus?

w87r

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/27/colts-nfl-draft-grades-consensus-third-best-2023/

Interesting little breakdown.

I found it interesting going through and seeing the differences on the individual evaluators.

For instance, Pete Prisco giving Cowboys an A, when the consensus had them at #30.

You can really see some biased here by some outlets.

So all in all, I think this could give a decent outlook on what sites do show some biased to teams.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It would be even better to take a look at this chart one or two years later and see how it all worked out for each team and their initial grades, but I guess we lose track of these material.

Bookmark it.

The chart is whatever, like I said the biggest thing I take away from this is being able to tell which outlets show biases and to who 

I do agree with the chart in reference to the Colts though.

What's your thoughts on Vikings spot?

• Like 2

I loved our draft this year. Liked every single pick. Not surprised we’re top 3 - would be fun to revisit this after a couple of seasons. 

On a side note. The Lions had 2 1st round picks… that’s gotta suck. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, w87r said:

Bookmark it.

The chart is whatever, like I said the biggest thing I take away from this is being able to tell which outlets show biases and to who 

I do agree with the chart in reference to the Colts though.

What's your thoughts on Vikings spot?

Normally, we do mock draft a lot, and we get to know lot of players, especially at least until round 4.

And, the actual draft happens, only rarely the team selects lots of those names and players we've heard often. This time, Colts drafted many of the known names, and players who fans here have been high on. 

Then.. there's Vikings, who draft a lot of players whom we've not heard at all even after we've accomplished hundreds of mock drafts. The new GM has done it twice in a row.

But overall.. I'm happy with the direction they're going. As long as they don't extend Cousins anymore, and start looking for drafting the franchise QB sooner than later, I don't get upset with players they draft as coaches are the ones who are going to work with these players. 

Understandably, Vikings draft grades have been in the bottom ten, which is generously higher than what I thought these outlets would give. Looks like these analysts and experts have known some of the players well, after all.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, w87r said:

I also like that the chart has the evaluators ranked on grading practice. Soft to Hard grades.

thanks for sharing this , well done

13 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Normally, we do mock draft a lot, and we get to know lot of players, especially at least until round 4.

And, the actual draft happens, only rarely the team selects lots of those names and players we've heard often. This time, Colts drafted many of the known names, and players who fans here have been high on. 

Then.. there's Vikings, who draft a lot of players whom we've not heard at all even after we've accomplished hundreds of mock drafts. The new GM has done it twice in a row.

But overall.. I'm happy with the direction they're going. As long as they don't extend Cousins anymore, and start looking for drafting the franchise QB sooner than later, I don't get upset with players they draft as coaches are the ones who are going to work with these players. 

Understandably, Vikings draft grades have been in the bottom ten, which is generously higher than what I thought these outlets would give. Looks like these analysts and experts have known some of the players well, after all.

i like having fans of other teams on the board. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

This time, Colts drafted many of the known names, and players who fans here have been high on. 

Can definitely say this was me this year. Was pleasantly surprised how much they took who I wanted and when.

I will post some text I sent to buddies before day 2 and 3.

Via my text April 28th 11:03am

Richardson is a beast.

Going into round 2.

I'm looking at 
CB - Porter Jr
G - Torrence
G - Avila

One should be there with the 4th pick of round.

Also wouldn't mind trading down though either. I like multiple guys in the 50-60 range 

DL - Adebawore - he ran like a 4.48 at 280lbs
CB - Brents - he's from Indy and is a big corner
WR - Mingo

Wouldn't mind trying to trade back with a team that has a couple picks in that range. If we could get 2 of those 3.

We know how this played out, so to my surprise Adebawore was still there to start Day 3.

Via my text April 29th 10:00am

Wish list Round 4:
DT Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern
CB Kelee, Ringo, Georgia
OT Dawand Jones, Ohio State
CB Darius Rush, South Carolina
OG Chandler Zavala, NC State

Any (2) would be nice, especially first 2.

We have (2) of first 8 picks in 4th
(2) of first 6 picks in 5th + (2) more 5ths. 

5th round wish list:
iOL Emil Ekiyor, Alabama
OT Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland
C Luke Wypler, Ohio State
iOL Jon Gaines II, UCLA
OT Braeden Daniels, Utah
OT Carter Warren, Pittsburgh
DT Jaquelin Roy, LSU
CB Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson TCU

Nice that Rush slid to the 5th also

Still can't believe we got Ekiyor as UDFA.

Very happy with Freeland in that round 4 also, even though he didn't make the list.

Like I said I was very happy with the draft, they never take who I want. Lol 

Think this is more of having a good pulse on how Ballard operates and what he is looking for, not just me but a good chunk of knowledgeable fan base as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Can definitely say this was me this year. Was pleasantly surprised how much they took who I wanted and when.

I will post some text I sent to buddies before day 2 and 3.

Via my text April 28th 11:03am

We know how this played out, so to my surprise Adebawore was still there to start Day 3.

Via my text April 29th 10:00am

Nice that Rush slid to the 5th also

Still can't believe we got Ekiyor as UDFA.

Very happy with Freeland in that round 4 also, even though he didn't make the list.

Like I said I was very happy with the draft, they never take who I want. Lol 

Think this is more of having a good pulse on how Ballard operates and what he is looking for, not just me but a good chunk of knowledgeable fan base as well.

well done 87r

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AKB said:

well done 87r

Right on, not looking for an attaboy or anything, was just pleasantly surprised with it 

Especially talking of wanting to trade down to get 2 of the 3. 

Great weekend for Colts fans

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Right on, not looking for an attaboy or anything, was just pleasantly surprised with it 

Especially talking of wanting to trade down to get 2 of the 3. 

Great weekend for Colts fans

don't think you're the type to look for cookies, im just saying that's a cool * chart, thanks for sharing!

and some good predictions too!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AKB said:

don't think you're the type to look for cookies, im just saying that's a cool * chart, thanks for sharing!

I know,

I just hate when people brag about being right. That is more about arguments over this and that though.  Not really predictions/ or wishes, which I think this falls into that category, just want to make it clear that, that isn't what I'm doing, just thought it was cool.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, w87r said:

I know,

I just hate when people brag about being right. That is more about arguments over this and that though.  Not really predictions/ or wishes, which I think this falls into that category, just want to make it clear that, that isn't what I'm doing, just thought it was cool.

well I wanted a mobile QB, a good CB, depth on OL, and a slot WR

we got all of those things. 

Plus a freak athlete DT, and a promising young TE in Mallory. 

The only obvious hole I see today is Oline depth (mainly interior, but we have to see what happens with Freeland and Witt)

• Like 2

Definitely loved this draft. Super athletic with potential, and Ballard is truly ahead of the curve in this regard. Should be rated top 5 by most draft experts. I think this draft class will be very beneficial in the upcoming years towards building this team. Was so nice to have 12 picks.

• Like 2

Just now, King Colt said:

After the past few years, I don't care about anyone's opinion of anything related to the Colts. I just want wins.

Yeah I want wins too. The last few years felt like short term fixes, and a waste of draft capital for QBs that were over the hill, or had connections to the coach. I'm so happy we finally drafted someone that while a risk, can at least give us that high ceiling to potentially compete with the giants in the AFC (no pun intended). We'll either be a contender in a couple years, or have a top 5 draft pick IMO. It's an all or nothing strategy with Richardson, but the right one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two things for me. 

1- Ballard has widely been considered great at drafting however the results are not there, so as someone above posted, I dont care about draft grades anymore I want wins.

2- Also its impossible to grade this draft right now. If AR is good it will be a success and overshadow everyone else. If AR bombs out it will be a failure and overshadow everyone else lol

• Like 4

Loved or liked most Ballard drafts, I think this one may be one of his bests. Couple of posters suggested enough of the nonsense I want wins. Which brings me to my point. What if Ballard has been drafting good, what if it has been coaching? This year we find out. Most of Reich's coaching years we have beaten good teams and lost to bad teams except, Pat's, Steelers and at Jacksonville, we lose here all the time. 

All in all, I wouldn't be surprised if we go 6-12 or 12-6. 

22 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Two things for me. 

1- Ballard has widely been considered great at drafting however the results are not there, so as someone above posted, I dont care about draft grades anymore I want wins.

2- Also its impossible to grade this draft right now. If AR is good it will be a success and overshadow everyone else. If AR bombs out it will be a failure and overshadow everyone else lol

Does anyone think Ballard has been "great" at drafting?

Over his tenure, some years his roster has been considered by optimists, many talking heads, and blue Colts fans to be top ten ish.  

That didn't happen because of the draft only.

nice original post. we did get the best qb in the draft. richardsons got some seriously high potential and ceiling. as long as he can throw the ball he's going to be a really dangerous qb. I'd love to draw up plays for him, givin how dangerous he is on the run.

The media outlets could rank the Colts high because of their opinion of AR.  They may want QBs like AR to succeed in the NFL, so any team that supports QBs like that could start off being rated highly. 

Overall, I think the Colts had a pretty good draft.  

On 5/27/2023 at 1:35 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It would be even better to take a look at this chart one or two years later and see how it all worked out for each team and their initial grades, but I guess we lose track of these material.

Yep.  All it would take would be if Richardson is a bust, the Colts would rank in the upper 20's or so.

• Like 1

We’ve seen rave reviews on Ballard’s classes in the past… it’s actually part of the problem. Rave reviews, mixed results. But only mixed results in some cases. There’s cases out there with no results to speak of whatsoever. 

Looking at you, Banogu. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 5:56 AM, w87r said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/27/colts-nfl-draft-grades-consensus-third-best-2023/

Interesting little breakdown.

I found it interesting going through and seeing the differences on the individual evaluators.

For instance, Pete Prisco giving Cowboys an A, when the consensus had them at #30.

You can really see some biased here by some outlets.

So all in all, I think this could give a decent outlook on what sites do show some biased to teams.

I’ve been meaning to comment on this for a few days…. 

I really like the work that was done here.   It’s not perfect,  but it’s still really really good.   And it’s fascinating to see the broad difference of opinions.   It all goes to my view that we all see the same thing differently.   That includes all of these evaluators, and all of us who are evaluating the evaluators.   

Here’s the flaw for me….  And it may bother only me.   It’s one evaluator for  each website.   So ESPN has four to evaluators, but they only count Kiper.  No McShay, no Miller, no Reid.  NFL.com has countless evaluators, but only Chad Reuter counts.  No Jeremiah, no Brooks.   PFF has numerous evaluators, but only one is used.   

But in the grand scheme of things, it’s not enough to bother me too much.   This was a LOT of work.   This wasn’t knocked out in a few minutes, more like a few hours.   So mad props to Rene Bugner.   A tip of my cap to him.    :hat:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s the flaw for me….  And it may bother only me.   It’s one evaluator for  each website.   So ESPN has four to evaluators, but they only count Kiper.  No McShay, no Miller, no Reid.  NFL.com has countless evaluators, but only Chad Reuter counts.  No Jeremiah, no Brooks.   PFF has numerous evaluators, but only one is used.   

Fair point.

Not sure of reasoning, couple things come to mind.

1. I just tried to do a quick Google search (not to intensely), and couldn't find Jeremiah, Brooks, McShay or Reid full team breakdown articles. PFF did grades as a staff it seems (combined effort) Found a video of Bucky Brooks and Matt Miller draft grades. Maybe only graded evaluators if they posted a full team draft grades article? I do see an additional article from NFL.com, but by Eric Edholm.

2. I only see (1) outlet that has multiple entries (CBS), so that blows my #2 theory out of water, that they only used 1 per outlet(was my thought before rechecking). Disregard #2

3. You would need to cap it at some point(29 is a lot), but those are definitely some heavy hitters there you mentioned.

If you find some of those draft grades articles post them. Like I said I just did a quick search this morning. But yeah overall a good breakdown.

Something else I would like to bring to light.  I know a lot of posters don't trust the draft pick value chart, but as trades were announced I was checking the chart to see how close they were.

They were really close on the chart, outside trade up to #3 and the Patriots taking a hit to trade down and hurt the Jets by letting Steelers take their(Jets) guy.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, w87r said:

Something else I would like to bring to light.  I know a lot of posters don't trust the draft pick value chart, but as traded were announced I was checking the chart to see how close they were.

They were really close on the chart, outside trade up to #3 and the Patriots taking a hit to trade down and hurt the Jets by letting Steelers take their(Jets) guy.

Colts trades breakdown:

#35 - 550

#38 - 520

#141 - 35.5

+ 5.5pts (late 6th difference)

#38 - 520

#44 - 460

#110 - 74

+ 14pts (high 6th difference)

#141 - 35.5

#158 - 27

#211 - 5.4

- 3.1pts (late 6th difference)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This isn’t surprising when you consider how many of our prospects were In most analysts top 100 players. Richardson, Brents, Downs, Freeland, and the DT were all players that had high grades. To be able to draft all of them in the first 5 rounds is incredible.

For example, PFF had

Anthony Richardson, #11

Josh Downs, #38

Adetomiya Adebawore, #56

Julius Brents, #68

Darius Rush, #70

Jaylon Jones, #105

Blake Freeland, #108

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-board-big-board

So by just their board (and their grading is usually tougher) we got 5 of their top 100 players, and two guys just outside it. So 7 out of their 110 highest graded players went to the Colts. When you factor in the draft value we got versus rankings, the Colts came out like Bandits. Richardson is the only person who was overdrafted by their rankings, although Freeland went just two picks earlier than he was ranked.

Obviously we need to see how they all perform, but just in terms of value, this was the Colts best draft since 2018 and one of the best in the league this year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, w87r said:

Something else I would like to bring to light.  I know a lot of posters don't trust the draft pick value chart, but as traded were announced I was checking the chart to see how close they were.

Yes.  The chart is valid and always has been.   There are always some quirks.  Supposedly PIT turned down some capital to be able to stay in the area to draft Joey Porter Jr....so there are sometimes reasons for the chart to look wonky on any given trade (or nontrade). but its valid for the most part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are building a team based on upside, the Colts crushed the draft. However, the building of a team is based on acquiring football players not great athletes. Talk to me in 2 years. I have listened to GM's who are out of the league and they bring up old drafts and how Kiper and all these draft guys grade a draft A+ right after  a draft.  The GM then talks about that same draft 2 years later and how literally none of those players are with that same team. To me, you grade a draft only on if a team filled their needs and nothing more. The Colts did fine in that respect.

5 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

At some point/ over the years you have to have a good draft draft. if they did it every year we would be in the playoffs often.  Look at the Chiefs oh by the way Ballard from there, Cinn, Buffalo etc 

It makes a huge difference in how the Chiefs draft because they have had a MVP franchise QB on their roster for a while. Same for a lot of AFC teams.