Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OTA news / mandatory mini camp news

Stephen

2 hours ago, AKB said:

if Freeland can start week 1, good chance we see Smith at RG

Would that put us as the most expensive guard duo? 

It would, but because of Smith($19m), Nelson cap hit($12.2m) is very manageable this year.

Don't really matter if both tackles are on rookie deals though. Offsets the cost.

Just need best 5 out there.

As of right now, it seems there is 3 options for the last spot.

Fries, Ekiyor - RG

Freeland - RT, with Smith moving inside.

So 2 rookies or unproven guy.

May the best man win.

Still a couple FA options but that doesn't seem to be the plan as of now (with not signing anyone to this point)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He might not make the 53.    He might just make the practice squad.   

As for agreement, you had to delete a fair amount of my post, in fact two posts, to come close to agreement.   Not a good look. 

I deleted everything else because it was irrelevant. He will make the team (the 53). Period.

13 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I deleted everything else because it was irrelevant. He will make the team (the 53). Period.

The part you found irrelevant is this….

That even if Freeland makes the team it’s proof of NOTHING.    Pryor made the team last year and was terrible.   Pinter made the team last year and was terrible.   Fries made the team last year and wasn’t very good.    And Raimann made the team last year and was terrible for the first half of the season.    That’s four players who made the team and we’re not very good for the most part.    

So you can cheerlead for Freeland all you want.   Making the team won’t mean much to me.    I’m looking for players who can contribute in a positive way.   

According to some,  that makes me Debbie Downer.   Welcome to the Colts in 2023. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That even if Freeland makes the team it’s proof of NOTHING.    Pryor made the team last year and was terrible.   Pinter made the team last year and was terrible.   Fries made the team last year and wasn’t very good.    And Raimann made the team last year and was terrible for the first half of the season.    That’s four players who made the team and we’re not very good for the most part.    

So you can cheerlead for Freeland all you want.   Making the team won’t mean much to me.    I’m looking for players who can contribute in a positive way.   

According to some,  that makes me Debbie Downer.   Welcome to the Colts in 2023. 

Yes all of that is still irrelevant. Freeland is making the team.

47 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Any news on Ekiyor ? The reason he fell was medical if he stays healthy no reason he cant start from Day 1. He stood out at bama vs sec comp which is a bit different then Freeland or even Rainmann.....

Haven't heard anything other than medical being the reason he fell out of draft.

I definitely think he has a good shot here.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, w87r said:

Haven't heard anything other than medical being the reason he fell out of draft.

I definitely think he has a good shot here.

I think he does as well but I also think the Colts are higher on Fries than some maybe here.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think he does as well but I also think the Colts are higher on Fries than some maybe here.

I can see why there is some reprehension though, was our biggest hole last year on the line. lt kinda solidified towards end of the year. Many felt we would do more to address it. I like Fries to and agree, the team is much higher on him than a majority of fans.

I still feel our biggest issue last year was Strausser. Hopefully Sparano gets these guys coached up, and a little continuity doesn't hurt either.

I think between Fries, Ekiyor, Braden Smith and Freeland we will be ok over there.

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

world of dance wow GIF by NBC

• Like 7

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah.. People seem to have moved on from the anger they had in the end of December/ January, and have softened up as usual, and have become overly optimistic even on the first day of off-season! 

The fact is Ballard admitted at the year end press conference that they started a couple of inexperienced players on the OL thinking it would work. It didn't, he admitted that too.

Then, free agency and draft have come and gone, Ballard was able to draft QB and fill lot of depth at CB, but this year's draft class and the way the board fell just didn't get immediate starters at the OL. 

If Freeland could be week 1 starter, that would mean other teams missed 100 chances on draft days to pick up a guy who can play an important position right away. Or Steichen could make it work with his scheme but that would require more than warranted optimism on the rookie HC. If Freeland works out like Raimann last year, that would be great but it would seem delusional to expect that to happen day 1. 

Not sure what the medical concerns with Ekiyor are, and how long that could linger, but expecting him to start early also looks too optimistic. Even if he didn't have medical concerns, no one probably considered him as first round talent and he'd have required some time to catch up with NFL offense and work on his flaws / conditioning.

So it looks like Colts will most probably start the season with Fries, and see how the line does, how AR is coming up, and this season is going to be just foundational for rookie HC & QB, while looking to improve the OL next off-season as needed.

People want everything to come together magically in the off-season, and then those expectations would turn into rage when the regular season starts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah.. People seem to have moved on from the anger they had in the end of December/ January, and have softened up as usual, and have become overly optimistic even on the first day of off-season! 

The fact is Ballard admitted at the year end press conference that they started a couple of inexperienced players on the OL thinking it would work. It didn't, he admitted that too.

Then, free agency and draft have come and gone, Ballard was able to draft QB and fill lot of depth at CB, but this year's draft class and the way the board fell just didn't get immediate starters at the OL. 

If Freeland could be week 1 starter, that would mean other teams missed 100 chances on draft days to pick up a guy who can play an important position right away. Or Steichen could make it work with his scheme but that would require more than warranted optimism on the rookie HC. If Freeland works out like Raimann last year, that would be great but it would seem delusional to expect that to happen day 1. 

Not sure what the medical concerns with Ekiyor are, and how long that could linger, but expecting him to start early also looks too optimistic. Even if he didn't have medical concerns, no one probably considered him as first round talent and he'd have required some time to catch up with NFL offense and work on his flaws / conditioning.

So it looks like Colts will most probably start the season with Fries, and see how the line does, how AR is coming up, and this season is going to be just foundational for rookie HC & QB, while looking to improve the OL next off-season as needed.

People want everything to come together magically in the off-season, and then those expectations would turn into rage when the regular season starts.

I think Rainman is a keeper st LT and showed improvement as the year went on. There is a lot of time to add an RG. Remember, getting a serviceable starting guard is probably one of the easier positions to fill. Do u hear me Nelson?????

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I think everyone is reading into the whole "next level stuff" by Steichen too much.... Pretty good chance that he just means "NFL" level stuff as a QB....which, for AR could, at this point, be considered the next level.....

I'm pretty sure he meant Anthony Richardson is next-level at everything football wise he's ever seen... he's better processing the game than Rivers, he's better throwing the ball than Herbert and he's more athletic and dynamic than Hurts! 

NEXT-LEVEL STUFF!!! 

28 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm pretty sure he meant Anthony Richardson is next-level at everything football wise he's ever seen... he's better processing the game than Rivers, he's better throwing the ball than Herbert and he's more athletic and dynamic than Hurts! 

NEXT-LEVEL STUFF!!! 

He's the bestest..:D

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

NEXT-LEVEL STUFF!!! 

Clearly Steichen means that AR is already the second-coming of Peyton Manning with the legs of Michael Vick, and if you can’t see that from his comment I don’t know what to tell you 

17 hours ago, stitches said:

That's one thing that NFL linemen do much better than college linemen. They know when they can't get there in time and they throw their hands in the air trying to affect the pass that way... And in a lot of cases they get deflections and they force incompletions or even interceptions this way. 

I was just watching highlights of T.J. Watt last year playing against the Bengals. He kept swatting 6'4" Joe Burrow's passes down if he couldn't get the pass rush in time. He even intercepted him twice. Burrow was pi$$ed. I wish Young well but defenders will be coming for him.

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-olb-t-j-watt-talks-about-making-a-splash-i-don-t-know-how-i-missed-the-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

I was just watching highlights of T.J. Watt last year playing against the Bengals. He kept swatting 6'4" Joe Burrow's passes down if he couldn't get the pass rush in time. He even intercepted him twice. Burrow was pi$$ed. I wish Young well but defenders will be coming for him.

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-olb-t-j-watt-talks-about-making-a-splash-i-don-t-know-how-i-missed-the-

Herbert was near the top of the league in batted passes last year, and he's 6'6". Height is a factor, but it's not the only one, and it's probably not the most important one when it comes to batted passes.

I have more questions about whether Young can see the intermediate middle of the field than I do about batted passes.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Now for the truth.

Fries played decent football the last 4+ games. And likely has a higher ceiling.

Raimann played VG football roughly the 2nd half of the season.

Raimann has a very good chance to become dominant.

Freeland has 3 more months to fix his weight and strength issues. 

And for downer Viking.

I took a minute to research for you regarding All-SEC Eikyor being available in the 5th. 

This is the injury. He had 40+ starts after. He is 6 2 1/2. That is a knock. 

It is foolish to judge him as WE actually know Nothing. There are pleasant surprises sometimes.

Ekiyor played in eight games as a reserve in 2019 despite sustaining a knee injury in the opener. He took over the starting job for all 13 games at right guard in 2020 for the national champions, and he kept the starting role for all 15 contests in 2021. Ekiyor was voted first-team All-SEC as a senior, starting 12 of 13 games played at his right guard spot. -- by Chaandd Reuter

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like colts are not going to release any video at all from OTA. Lol. I see other teams have media  at practice for more then one day. Wonder why colts are limiting it to one day.

Kent Sterling had a small clip I watched

50 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like colts are not going to release any video at all from OTA. Lol. I see other teams have media  at practice for more then one day. Wonder why colts are limiting it to one day.

kent Sterling video

• Like 6

16 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

True and well said. When there so many weaknesses, everything can’t be solved in one off season. It’s not Ballard’s fault he didn’t fill all the holes but it’s his fault there are so many. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve always sincerely respected your insistence on dealing only in facts, so to be clear, there are many other reasons you’re considered a Debbie Downer. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

kent Sterling video

I was surprised he wasn’t more accurate on those throws into the netting during some of those repetitions.  He seemed upset with himself as well.  I imagine he will put in a lot of time on his own.  Practice makes perfect as they say.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I’ve always sincerely respected your insistence on dealing only in facts, so to be clear, there are many other reasons you’re considered a Debbie Downer. 

What a backhanded compliment.

This is getting ridiculous.

Some of the posters I continually seeing saying this, over the years, have been some of the most consistent "Debbie Downers" on the site. 

Stickler of facts, NCF most definitely is, but the consistent daily attacks is getting out of hand.

I challenge some that are continuing to push this narrative across the forum to go look in the mirror at past actions on this board and check on the hypocrisy they are presenting.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I was surprised he wasn’t more accurate on those throws into the netting during some of those repetitions.  He seemed upset with himself as well.  I imagine he will put in a lot of time on his own.  Practice makes perfect as they say.

Mildly for me. It's practice so you will throw a couple ducks. Like you said continual practice makes perfect. This is why there hasn't been much media exposure. Bc all his throws will be heavily and overly scrutinized before the guy even gets to training camp.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Mildly for me. It's practice so you will throw a couple ducks. Like you said continual practice makes perfect. This is why there hasn't been much media exposure. Bc all his throws will be heavily and overly scrutinized before the guy even gets to training camp.

Also, he is just now really getting to work on all the things to improve his accuracy that the team wants him to. Still early in the process, and yes a good reason to keep media exposure to a minimum. Just let the guy work.

It isn't going to happen overnight.

Just needs to get better everyday.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Rainman is a keeper st LT and showed improvement as the year went on. There is a lot of time to add an RG. Remember, getting a serviceable starting guard is probably one of the easier positions to fill. Do u hear me Nelson?????

I love Nelson but if he doesn't perform well this year, it could be like Andrew Norwell from a few years back-time to move one.  3 years in a row of bad play for elite money is not acceptable.  I hope he returns to form.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I love Nelson but if he doesn't perform well this year, it could be like Andrew Norwell from a few years back-time to move one.  3 years in a row of bad play for elite money is not acceptable.  I hope he returns to form.

Do you think Quenton Nelson was bad in 2021?

• Thanks 1