Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OTA news / mandatory mini camp news

Stephen

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Im not getting into the whole pessimist optimist thing again, that was a huge debate going on here for awhile and everyone has a different definition of each term.

I consider myself a realist when looking at my sports teams. I look at the facts and form an unbiased opinion as if I was an outsider looking at the team not a homer. So when the team sucks, yah it might look like I have a lot of negative posts. But im stating the truth something big time homers have a hard time with. 

Rivers and Ryan are two different people, two different players. You can't compare them. Go back and watch the Falcons games from the two seasons before he was a Colt. He was falling off a cliff literally. Rivers still had juice, probably could have played another season if he wanted too.

As far as the polls not everyone votes in those. Probably half the people here do. And I strongly recall there being a handful of people that sided with me in it being a bad idea. Of course at the time we were chastised and called downers and negative people etc etc. 

I almost beat you with the realist comment haha . Your post got in before mine. 

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

I just think its silly to blanket term the people who didn't think it was a good idea as trolls and pessimists. As there was definitely a handful of people who didnt think it was a good idea no matter what the polls say. And all the people who thought it was a bad idea had a good reason, they probably watched the Falcons games before he was a Colt.

I watched the Falcons games and Ryan had no running game in Atlanta and a bad O.Line. Who would have thought Taylor would stink due to injury and our O.Line would be bad, maybe you did. If someone had told me that Taylor would be injured and our O.Line would be among the worse than I would have agreed that getting Ryan was a mistake.

I am realist as well but more optimistic than pessimistic if I think it is 50/50 whether we will be good or bad. It is what it is. I am probably one of the more realistic posters in here when I say Tom Brady is the GOAT and Peyton is 3rd behind Joe Montana as well. Nothing can top that coming from a guy that loves the Colts and Peyton is my favorite player. I analyze the team every year and usually have an idea how we will do. I knew in 2019 we would miss the playoffs after Luck retired, that is being a realist. Bottomline most people in here and even Vegas thought we would be good last year so I wasn't being a big fat Homer saying we would be good homer simpson 3d GIF by Miriam Ganserlmao 

5 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I don't think we will see Stroud's "problems" in training camp. I think we will see them on game day, when the plays break down and he gets pressured - assuming there are problems.

Agreed. I don't get too caught up in any camp reports, especially for young players. Even more so for QBs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed. I don't get too caught up in any camp reports, especially for young players. Even more so for QBs.

If you were a betting man, who would you put your money on to what rookie QB will have the best season? 

Guess what, I am not a Homer lmao , my money would be on Bryce Young being a realist. I thought and still think he is the best QB in this class. I am picking Carolina to win that division as an early prediction. Could AR or Stroud be better QB's in the long haul, YES. As far as Levis goes, the Titans can have that snooty body building QB. I just can't find anything about him I like from his game or attitude. 

59 minutes ago, Superman said:

That’s fair.    But other than Shane Steichen once saying that Richardson made some plays in one practice “that were next level stuff”, was there anything about AR so far that you find encouraging? 

The few times passing stats were released by anyone, (Colts or media) they were typically terrible.   I’m very confused about AR so far.   He’s a very hard read. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s fair.    But other than Shane Steichen once saying that Richardson made some plays in one practice “that were next level stuff”, was there anything about AR so far that you find encouraging? 

The few times passing stats were released by anyone, (Colts or media) they were typically terrible.   I’m very confused about AR so far.   He’s a very hard read. 

I haven't heard much from Kevin or JMV or Stephen Holder this week locally regarding AR. Whether that is good or bad is anyone's guess. As long as we don't hear anything bad I am ok with it for now. Not much going on really.

Regarding AR being a hard read, I like it because of the mystery of it. A lot of people already have their mind made up about him anyway. Some think he will be good because of his freakish athleticism and others think he will stink because they think he can't pass. The world we live in.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you were a betting man, who would you put your money on to what rookie QB will have the best season? 

Guess what, I am not a Homer lmao , my money would be on Bryce Young being a realist. I thought and still think he is the best QB in this class. I am picking Carolina to win that division as an early prediction. Could AR or Stroud be better QB's in the long haul, YES. As far as Levis goes, the Titans can have that snooty body building QB. I just can't find anything about him I like from his game or attitude. 

Bryce Young is a solid bet. I didn't want to draft him because I think his upside is limited, but his ability to handle a pro passing game right away should help him have a solid rookie season. And I have my problems with Reich, but he's overall pretty QB friendly, so it should be a good match. For at least a couple seasons, hopefully.

I also like Stroud, but his circumstances are not quite as good. Defensive HC who is in his first year on the job, average-at-best offensive roster, including OL. But I like his throwing ability, I think he's the best passer among all the rookies. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s fair.    But other than Shane Steichen once saying that Richardson made some plays in one practice “that were next level stuff”, was there anything about AR so far that you find encouraging

Not really, but then again, I don't typically find myself encouraged by offseason/OTA reports about player performance. Especially rookie QBs. I'm pretty dismissive of anything that happens on the field between February and August.

But as it relates to Richardson, I have been very upfront that I think his odds are long, specifically as a passer. He's very far away, he has a ton of work to do and improvement to make, and statistically it's unlikely that he ever develops into a refined, efficient passer. But he's a hard worker with a great attitude, and he's in a situation that's highly favorable for a player with his profile -- assuming Steichen is what we think he is as a HC. So he can potentially be productive in the offense even as he works through his issues as a passer. And his real talents won't really show in offseason passing drills.

I think Richardson is going to look really rough as a passer right away. If we see improvement as the season goes along, that's when I'll be encouraged. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Not really, but then again, I don't typically find myself encouraged by offseason/OTA reports about player performance. Especially rookie QBs. I'm pretty dismissive of anything that happens on the field between February and August.

But as it relates to Richardson, I have been very upfront that I think his odds are long, specifically as a passer. He's very far away, he has a ton of work to do and improvement to make, and statistically it's unlikely that he ever develops into a refined, efficient passer. But he's a hard worker with a great attitude, and he's in a situation that's highly favorable for a player with his profile -- assuming Steichen is what we think he is as a HC. So he can potentially be productive in the offense even as he works through his issues as a passer. And his real talents won't really show in offseason passing drills.

I think Richardson is going to look really rough as a passer right away. If we see improvement as the season goes along, that's when I'll be encouraged. 

Thank you.   This gives me a little clarity as this unusual off-season continues.   Everywhere I look I see stories and videos raving about AR.   And I can’t figure out why? 

I want AR to succeed as much as the next guy, but I’m not seeing enough reason to justify the incredible hype.   Things will get interesting in late July when camp opens.  
Everything is going to get much faster than he’s ever experienced.   

• Like 2