Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OTA news / mandatory mini camp news

Stephen

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Just gonna say this now: before everyone panics. 

AR looks like a guy who needs reps. Exactly what we thought 

Yep, I know fans here are excited and I think are developing unrealistic expectations for him this year.  I go back to what Ballard said when they drafted him, they drafted him for what he can be not who he is now.  The Colts know he’s going to need time and fans are going to have to be patient and understand this isn’t Manning or Luck who came into the league relatively NFL ready.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep, I know fans here are excited and I think are developing unrealistic expectations for him this year.  I go back to what Ballard said when they drafted him, they drafted him for what he can be not who he is now.  The Colts know he’s going to need time and fans are going to have to be patient and understand this isn’t Manning or Luck who came into the league relatively NFL ready.

Yep

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pretty spot on. Why anyone would panic or think otherwise would be the extreme optimist.

On this forum, game 1, preseason game 1 mind you, the very first incompletion there will be someone saying he’s a bust and calling for someone to be fired. Mark my words. It’ll happen

• Like 1

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

Just gonna say this now: before everyone panics. 

AR looks like a guy who needs reps. Exactly what we thought 

anyone who think otherwise is putting too much expectation into this season.

Not worried about this at all.  What I’m more interested are his mechanics.  How do those look?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pretty spot on. Why anyone would panic or think otherwise would be the extreme optimist.

Yeah, we shouldn't be worried about Richardson. I'm just worried about injuries. The OTA's mean nothing to me because of injuries already, and it seems injuries happen or have happened to our best players, some of which haven't even fully recovered yet (Leonard, Taylor) from last year. I'm also annoyed with Rodgers, as that takes away a CB from a position with little experience.

My fear is we go into training camp, and the players and rookies who are hurt now will still be hurt, and they'll miss actual important reps. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

anyone who think otherwise is putting too much expectation into this season.

Not worried about this at all.  What I’m more interested are his mechanics.  How do those look?

Fans need to have low expectations. If we are better then we think we are going to be that will be a bonus. Only thing that matters is AR gets reps and we see continued improvement throughout the year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Fans need to have low expectations. If we are better then we think we are going to be that will be a bonus. Only thing that matters is AR gets reps and we see continued improvement throughout the year.

Remember you said that. But I agree with you. 

4 hours ago, w87r said:

thought this was pretty cool.

Has some other guys other than Anthony Richardson.

I thought it was a very well-done AD that delivers some wholesomeness and promotes the brand in a positive way. 

I joked with some friends that I thought it was funny that AR got the message from Brady and Hendon got the message from Peyton. Brady's more involved with our new Colts then Peyton has been LOL. On a serious note, I know Brady is one of ARs favorite players and someone he has openly admired, so this is definitely not a knock on Peyton <3. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I thought it was a very well-done AD that delivers some wholesomeness and promotes the brand in a positive way. 

I joked with some friends that I thought it was funny that AR got the message from Brady and Hendon got the message from Peyton. Brady's more involved with our new Colts then Peyton has been LOL. On a serious note, I know Brady is one of ARs favorite players and someone he has openly admired, so this is definitely not a knock on Peyton <3. 

Peyton's lack of involvement with the Colts is truly a bummer. He even did an interview with Stephen A Smith during game 1 of the finals, saying "I like my Broncos". 

Now I get that Denver is in the Finals, so that is where the conversation is based. 

Just goes back to that Irsay list, and Peyton's omission from it. Well goes back way before that.

Irsay doesn't like it either and that was a passive aggressive shot at Peyton. Saying that Irsay is probably the main reason there is a divide and that list incident didn't help anything.

Peyton talking to Hendon makes sense though with the Tennessee ties.

Brady makes sense with Richardson fan hood as well 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoose said:

Remember you said that. But I agree with you. 

I think most fans understand what having a young QB means. All we want to see is steady improvement through the season and we are heading in the right direction. Now if Richardson flat out stinks and shows no flashes of hope then that is a different story. With his running ability we should at least see flashes until his passing game improves.

3 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

Well, how are the rest of the QB rooks looking right now compared to Richardson? Anyone been keeping up with them?

I know Young started working with the 1's.

Reports are Stroud has a little bit as well.

Levis reports haven't seemed to great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Peyton's lack of involvement with the Colts is truly a bummer. He even did an interview with Stephen A Smith during game 1 of the finals, saying "I like my Broncos". 

Now I get that Denver is in the Finals, so that is where the conversation is based. 

Just goes back to that Irsay list, and Peyton's omission from it. Well goes back way before that.

Irsay doesn't like it either and that was a passive aggressive shot at Peyton. Saying that Irsay is probably the main reason there is a divide and that list incident didn't help anything.

Peyton talking to Hendon makes sense though with the Tennessee ties.

Brady makes sense with Richardson fan hood as well 

Tom was done dirty by the Pats. Belichick wanted him gone so I think it is great Tom likes Anthony Richardson and giving him advice. AR being a Colt makes it that much more funnier. Belichick and Kraft hate the Colts, maybe Tom will help AR out just to stick it to them lmao . Since Tom left, the Patriots have been average at best with a .500 record in 3 years. 

Regarding Peyton, he lives in Colorado. He has made that his home, he loves it there so he is pro Denver everything right now. Denver being in the finals has given Peyton more exposure than usual. Irsay leaving Peyton out of his top 5 could have been a DIS or maybe he didn't want to include any Colts not to be bias. Hard telling really. I don't think Irsay/Colts did Peyton dirty letting him walk in 2012 because we were rebuilding and had Andrew Luck coming in. Peyton was coming off neck surgery as well and was getting older. What the Pats did to Tom was worse IMO. They basically kicked Tom to the curb with no answer at QB, at least we had Luck coming in and Luck was great his 1st 3 years.

I was on youtube watching some OTA news and the Tennessee media is saying Levis looks bad. Fumbling snaps, missing open guys, etc.. I like youtube because people can comment there and Tennessee fans aren't happy at all so far with him. They wanted Hendon Hooker. What is funny is, I get inside news about the Titans because my uncle lives in KY, close to Tennessee. Nobody is happy with that pick, my uncle also wanted Hooker. According to youtube, they say AR looks great and is going to be a problem for teams right out of the gate.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

Well, how are the rest of the QB rooks looking right now compared to Richardson? Anyone been keeping up with them?

Young and Stroud both are on strong trajectories right now to be the starter. Levi's has struggled so far although I expect he will improve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

agreed.  AR main knocks coming out were his lack of experience/reps and his mechanics.  I trust Shane to improve his mechanics.  The experience/reps are on AR.  Fans need to understand AR is going to make mistakes.  He’s going to make “dumb” throws.  The key is that the amount of bad plays he makes decreases as the season goes on.  The fact that reports are saying he looks good in camp means that he’s learning.  But that’s just camp.  The experience part of it begins when he plays in game.  I’m on the side of letting him start early.  Let him sit behind minshew for a couple games to get the routine down.  As Keyshawn would put it “learn how to get to the stadium”.  After that, start him.  You can have all the mechanics in the world, but nothing beats real-world experience.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What the Pats did to Tom was worse IMO. They basically kicked Tom to the curb with no answer at QB

I think Tom wanted to leave NE, the team would've had to free up more money to try and re-sign him, taking even more talent from roster. With the inability to add more pieces with it.

Brady was looking for greener pastures. Found more weapons and a better defense in Tampa.

Peyton didn't want to leave, and I think with how the Luck situation played out, I'm sure Irsay wishes he never forced Manning out, traded the #1 pick for a lot of assets and tried to make another run with Peyton.

I know I wish that is what happened, in retrospect.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was on youtube watching some OTA news and the Tennessee media is saying Levis looks bad. Fumbling snaps, missing open guys, etc.. I like youtube because people can comment there and Tennessee fans aren't happy at all so far with him. They wanted Hendon Hooker. What is funny is, I get inside news about the Titans because my uncle lives in KY, close to Tennessee. Nobody is happy with that pick, my uncle also wanted Hooker. According to youtube, they say AR looks great and is going to be a problem for teams right out of the gate.

My best friend is a Titans fan, and he hated the Levis pick (even in the 2nd round). He wanted Hooker as a Tennessee fan in college. Even now, he hasn't accepted him on the Titans and won't root for him. He's hoping Willis beats him out as the backup. I think Levis' age is a big disadvantage for him compared to the other rookies that went in the 1st round. He'll be 24 on the 27th of this month, so he has less time to learn and develop, and his potential and upside is lower. Big reason I wanted Richardson over him. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My best friend is a Titans fan, and he hated the Levis pick (even in the 2nd round). He wanted Hooker as a Tennessee fan in college. Even now, he hasn't accepted him on the Titans and won't root for him. He's hoping Willis beats him out as the backup. I think Levis' age is a big disadvantage for him compared to the other rookies that went in the 1st round. He'll be 24 on the 27th of this month, so he has less time to learn and develop, and his potential and upside is lower. Big reason I wanted Richardson over him. 

Hooker(25) is even older than Levis(24).

Even at 24, he can still have a 12-15yr career if things go ok. So the age thing in is a little over blown. Unless it is like Chris Weinke or something, who was about to turn 29 when he was drafted.

I do like that ours just turned 21 though.

I can see why Titans fans wanted Hooker though. Close ties, and pretty much most Titans fans in Tennessee are Volunteer fans as well.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tom was done dirty by the Pats. Belichick wanted him gone so I think it is great Tom likes Anthony Richardson and giving him advice. AR being a Colt makes it that much more funnier. Belichick and Kraft hate the Colts, maybe Tom will help AR out just to stick it to them lmao . Since Tom left, the Patriots have been average at best with a .500 record in 3 years. 

Regarding Peyton, he lives in Colorado. He has made that his home, he loves it there so he is pro Denver everything right now. Denver being in the finals has given Peyton more exposure than usual. Irsay leaving Peyton out of his top 5 could have been a DIS or maybe he didn't want to include any Colts not to be bias. Hard telling really. I don't think Irsay/Colts did Peyton dirty letting him walk in 2012 because we were rebuilding and had Andrew Luck coming in. Peyton was coming off neck surgery as well and was getting older. What the Pats did to Tom was worse IMO. They basically kicked Tom to the curb with no answer at QB, at least we had Luck coming in and Luck was great his 1st 3 years.

Re: your Brady/Belichick thoughts: I think both men wanted to prove they could win without the other. One proved he could. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Re: your Brady/Belichick thoughts: I think both men wanted to prove they could win without the other. One proved he could. 

Coaching is important but give me a franchise QB over a great coach anyday. A franchise QB is basically a coach of the offense on the field. I would take a good coach and great QB over a great coach and a good QB. As long as the coach is good and he has a Peyton or Tom he is winning 70% of the time.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My uncle is actually a KY fan = football and of course basketball and he can't stand Levis. Since the draft I have been texting him laughing about Levis haha . He can't stand Tannehill either and this a true die hard Titans fan since 1999 when McNair took them to the SB. His favorite player is Henry and he calls him Hall of Fame Henry all the time. He is pee'd off that the Titans are wasting Henry's career with these average QB's. I think it is funny chuckling homer simpson GIF- He can't say much to me because we won our SB with Peyton and Luck has been better than anyone the Titans have had as well. McNair was special though, he was borderline great IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, w87r said:

I think Tom wanted to leave NE, the team would've had to free up more money to try and re-sign him, taking even more talent from roster. With the inability to add more pieces with it.

Brady was looking for greener pastures. Found more weapons and a better defense in Tampa.

Peyton didn't want to leave, and I think with how the Luck situation played out, I'm sure Irsay wishes he never forced Manning out, traded the #1 pick for a lot of assets and tried to make another run with Peyton.

I know I wish that is what happened, in retrospect.

I am not sure Peyton wins here at a rate we were used to from 2012-2015. Peyton had a better team around him from 2003-2009 than he would have had here in 2012. We were in full rebuild mode, the core he had was mostly gone including Jeff. He did great in Denver but he had more weapons with that team and their defense was outstanding the year he won the SB in 2015. Of course because it is Peyton, I still think at that point and time we could win 10 games a year or so. Looking at it, we made the right move in 2012, Luck was 11-5 in his 1st 3 seasons and even knocked Peyton and the Broncos off in the 2014 playoffs.

• Like 1

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/indianapolis-colts-otas-takeaways-what-we-learned-week-3/

The Colts will wrap up the offseason workout program with a three-day mandatory minicamp next week on June 13-15. The media will be present for all three days, and it will be the final time the Colts are together as a team before returning for training camp at the end of July.

Media will be present all 3 days next week.

Will be interesting to see if Richardson gets any run with the 1's.

He might have been on non-media days the last couple weeks?

Maybe they had Minshew working with the 1's ok media day, to further hide Richardson?

We will see next week, then hopefully after the break, some injured guys will be back and ready to roll. Definitely need these young CB's getting some reps.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:03 AM, w87r said:

Hooker(25) is even older than Levis(24).

Even at 24, he can still have a 12-15yr career if things go ok. So the age thing in is a little over blown. Unless it is like Chris Weinke or something, who was about to turn 29 when he was drafted.

I do like that ours just turned 21 though.

I can see why Titans fans wanted Hooker though. Close ties, and pretty much most Titans fans in Tennessee are Volunteer fans as well.

AR coming into his 3rd year is still younger than Manning and Luck in there rookie year.

• Like 2