Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OTA news / mandatory mini camp news

Stephen

https://1075thefan.com/92649/colts-minicamp-notebook-day-1-ugly-passing-offense-day/

It should be noted Richardson’s initial reps with the second unit, included working behind the backup offensive line, but he did have Alec Pierce and Mo Alie-Cox working with him. Richardson’s best ball of the day was a second level throw to Alie-Cox, but the veteran tight end couldn’t haul in the fingertip grab. This was 1 of 3 drops on Tuesday (1 with Richardson, 2 with Minshew).

While several of the Colts draft picks have been out due to injury this spring, a couple Day 3 guys stood out on Tuesday. Seventh-round corner Jaylon Jones got his hands on several pass attempts from his outside corner position. With all the corner questions, Jones is getting an opportunity to try and make the coaches think about his presence on the depth chart. On the other side of the ball, Evan Hull had a nice afternoon with a couple of catches and runs out of the backfield. That 3rd running back spot is certainly going to include Hull factoring into things.

Richardson also got some extra reps with the 2's.

Trying to decipher the Mo Alie talk.

Did he have 3 drops today, or Colts in general?

Just now, Solid84 said:

I think 1 for MAC and 3 total among all Colts. 

Idk? When I read it back, it seems like all 3 were MAC, just the way it reads. Might not be, but kinda sounds like it to me?

I really think MAC is going to have a tough time sticking.

Woods

Granson - Steichen already talked highly of him

Mallory

Probably 1 more

MAC

Ogletree 

Brown - good blocker

Kaden Smith

Also, the Colts can save a little under $9m in cap space the next 2 years by moving on from MAC, if released. A little over $11m if we could find a trade partner.

That's going to be a tough spot to claim, especially if you're dropping passes early, coupled with the cap hit? Thing he has working for him is he is the veteran. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Idk? When I read it back, it seems like all 3 were MAC, just the way it reads. Might not be, but kinda sounds like it to me?

Woods

Mallory

Probably 1 more

MAC

Ogletree 

Brown - good blocker

Kaden Smith

Also, the Colts can save a little under $9m in cap space the next 2 years by moving on from MAC, if released. A little over $11m if we could find a trade partner.

That's going to be a tough spot to claim, especially if you're dropping passes early, coupled with the cap hit? Thing he has working for him is he is the veteran. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I read it has 3 drops by Cox, 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, w87r said:

Woods

Mallory

Probably 1 more

MAC

Ogletree 

Brown - good blocker

Kaden Smith

We're talking about this quote right?

"This was 1 of 3 drops on Tuesday (1 with Richardson, 2 with Minshew)."

The section above the one you're referring to said:

"Gardner Minshew went 0-for-4, with drops from Malik Turner and Ashton Dulin". 

I would think those was the other 2 drops besides MACs or am I misunderstanding it?

Nevermind

But I agree with MAC having a hard time sticking this year. He's more expensive than the youngsters and he's not a better receiving target, so he'll have to compete with his blocking. I think Brown will have him beat there though - MAC really disappointed me last year with his receiving and blocking.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, w87r said:

Lol, guess I should of read that better. Comes from same article. Guess I kinda skimmed that paragraph.

What i read was he didn't haul in a "fingertip" pass.

Announcers Always call these drops when they Really are not. It's like the catcher should have ran harder, jumped higher, timed the off target ball better. It's bulldoo.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Even though it's not raining, the field has to be wet, so I don't like the risk of an injury on something like this.

Let's get out of mini camp as healthy as possible. Save the wet condition practices until training camp.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Offense has been rough last couple days.

Really, that's to be expected at this point. (Defense looking better right now)

Seems Richardson  has out performed Minshew in first 2 days of mini camp. Not many reps, but it's encouraging.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Seems Richardson  has out performed Minshew in first 2 days of mini camp. Not many reps, but it's encouraging.

If Minshew can’t show he is better then Richardson in camp then it’s a no brainer that Richardson should start. But all 3 have not been good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

I kind of feel like the lack of top tier weapons is playing a big part in the offensive struggles. 

Agreed on RIchardson. Not sure he's outperformed Minshew, but at the very least it seems like he's not outmatched by him at this point and... IMO if this keeps being the case during training camp and Richardson is anywhere close to Minshew's level, I see no reason why he shouldn't start. 

• Like 3