Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts - The New Plan

John Hammonds

7 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

For those who are watching, you are witnessing a massive switch - from the Old Plan to the New Plan.

What was the Old Plan?  The Old Plan started in 2018.  When we made a franchise-defining choice to draft a generational guard and big play off-ball linebacker.  And our oft injured start quarterback came back healthy, and played.  To that, we added a new, first-time head coach.  And we won games.  And went to the playoffs.  And won against the Chiefs!  With the quarterback's superman cape blowing in the breeze.  And we believed we were on our way to the superbowl.  And then....  Our star quarterback retired.  And we replaced him with an aged veteran with a history with our head coach.  And we went back to the playoffs.  And then that quarterback retired.  And then our left tackle retired.  And our tight end.  And we released our WR1.  And that became the theme of the Old Plan:  desperately trying to plug holes left by valuable players, while trying to get back to the playoffs.  Until last season, when that collapsed in an ingnomineous heap.

This year, we have initiated the New Plan.  The theme of the New Plan?

"Give the young players the experience they desperately need."

We hired a guy who had never been a head coach before, and gave him a 6-year contract.

We hired a guy who had never been an offensive line coach before, and gave him a chance.

We drafted a young quarterback with only 13 games played, and isn't even old enough to drink.

We released a veteran DE, who was the quintessential LEO for the defense, and instead we're going to start the guy we drafted in the first round to be our starting DE.  In fact, we're gonna start both DE's from that draft.

I expect we will start at least 3, and possibly even 4 of the rookies we drafted by the end of the season.  Slot receiver Downs and cornerback Brents are already as good as, or nearly as good as, the guy who occupies their positions.  And our quarterback?  How long is it before he'll be better than Ehlinger or Minshew?  I expect him to be starting before the end of the season.  Blake Freeland is a Tackle.  Not an interior lineman.  How long will it be before the Colts toy with the idea of starting him at right tackle, and moving Smith inside?  Even rookie nickel corner Darius Rush might get into the action.

I also expect us to start 2nd year player Nick Cross at strong safety.  He has the talent.  And can play.  His problem?  He needed experience.  Well, this is your lucky year, Nick.  Because that's the theme of the New Plan.

I don't expect us to win a lot of games.  Sure, we'll win some.  With the talent on this team, we cannot help but expect to win some.  But winning games is not the goal of this year.  Getting the young guys the experience they need is the theme of the year.

Welcome to the New Plan.

Who was the first round DE from this year?  I thought we drafted the QB not the DE in the first round.

EDIT:  After re-reading it, from "that" draft, I forgot we drafted Kwitty Paye first round two years ago, my bad. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

For those who are watching, you are witnessing a massive switch - from the Old Plan to the New Plan.

What was the Old Plan?  The Old Plan started in 2018.  When we made a franchise-defining choice to draft a generational guard and big play off-ball linebacker.  And our oft injured start quarterback came back healthy, and played.  To that, we added a new, first-time head coach.  And we won games.  And went to the playoffs.  And won against the Chiefs!  With the quarterback's superman cape blowing in the breeze.  And we believed we were on our way to the superbowl.  And then....  Our star quarterback retired.  And we replaced him with an aged veteran with a history with our head coach.  And we went back to the playoffs.  And then that quarterback retired.  And then our left tackle retired.  And our tight end.  And we released our WR1.  And that became the theme of the Old Plan:  desperately trying to plug holes left by valuable players, while trying to get back to the playoffs.  Until last season, when that collapsed in an ingnomineous heap.

We hired a guy who had never been a head coach before, and gave him a 6-year contract.

We hired a guy who had never been an offensive line coach before, and gave him a chance.

We drafted a young quarterback with only 13 games played, and isn't even old enough to drink.

We released a veteran DE, who was the quintessential LEO for the defense, and instead we're going to start the guy we drafted in the first round to be our starting DE.  In fact, we're gonna start both DE's from that draft.

I expect we will start at least 3, and possibly even 4 of the rookies we drafted by the end of the season.  Slot receiver Downs and cornerback Brents are already as good as, or nearly as good as, the guy who occupies their positions.  And our quarterback?  How long is it before he'll be better than Ehlinger or Minshew?  I expect him to be starting before the end of the season.  Blake Freeland is a Tackle.  Not an interior lineman.  How long will it be before the Colts toy with the idea of starting him at right tackle, and moving Smith inside?  Even rookie nickel corner Darius Rush might get into the action.

I also expect us to start 2nd year player Nick Cross at strong safety.  He has the talent.  And can play.  His problem?  He needed experience.  Well, this is your lucky year, Nick.  Because that's the theme of the New Plan.

I don't expect us to win a lot of games.  Sure, we'll win some.  With the talent on this team, we cannot help but expect to win some.  But winning games is not the goal of this year.  Getting the young guys the experience they need is the theme of the year.

Welcome to the New Plan.

I believe Irsay is on board for a methodical rebuild. Having the first pick in the next draft would be the best thing for our future so play the kids.

From LB to our secondary, with Gus in charge, we should expect a very porous D. In other words, we will have a difficult time outscoring our opponents. Fine by me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I believe Irsay is on board for a methodical rebuild. Having the first pick in the next draft would be the best thing for our future so play the kids.

From LB to our secondary, with Gus in charge, we should expect a very porous D. In other words, we will have a difficult time outscoring our opponents. Fine by me.

We aren't likely to have the worst record in the league. Looking at our schedule, and the other bad and or rebuilding teams in the league..... Well have a top ten pick likely though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Welcome to the New Plan.

All of the bolded are things they have been doing all along. Ballard has been giving young players experience since he got here. He's also been using the draft to plug holes with rookies and draft picks. 

The two DEs that will start this year were drafted to replace two vets two years ago (Houston and Autry)...after the other three DEs they drafted to replace those guys (Lewis, Turay and Banogu) failed to do it.

The previous HC was also a first-time HC. He even came from the same team as the new first-time HC...also coming off a SB season no less.

There's not really a new plan...there's just a reset. Though I would say Ballard has finally caught up to the times and started throwing a lot more Day 2 capital at pass catchers (3 picks in the past 2 years...after 2 picks in the previous 5).

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Winning games is the goal this year.  As is developing players.  But make no mistake about it winning games is THE goal.  The best players will play.  That is always the way it is.  That’s why Cross was benched last year.  He wasn’t better then any of the other safeties in the room.  He wasn’t ready.  We are not rebuilding just retooling.  It is still a strong roster that we need to improve upon with some new additions from the draft and elsewhere.  Hopefully the new coaches will help and Ballard will be able to improve on his ability to add more impact veterans to the lineup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

We aren't likely to have the worst record in the league. Looking at our schedule, and the other bad and or rebuilding teams in the league..... Well have a top ten pick likely though.

what you mean looking at our schedule? doesnt matter how weak our schedule is, we lost to the texans last year. We lose to bad teams all the time lol

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Welcome to the New Plan.

I can't tell if you meant this as a positive or negative post.  I'm taking it as positive.  I think the future of this team is exciting right now.  I don't care if we lose every game this year so long as we see improvement over the season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I can't tell if you meant this as a positive or negative post.  I'm taking it as positive.  I think the future of this team is exciting right now.  I don't care if we lose every game this year so long as we see improvement over the season.

It's a positive post.  We're no longer beholden to the "All Chips In" mantra from the Old Plan.  We're no longer going to desperately try to find a veteran that can fill the gap now, and excel in the playoffs now.  Instead, we're switching intent.  We've got a whole lot of young players from the last 4 drafts.  We're gonna give them as much starting experience as we can.  It's not about the plug-an-play veterans anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

It's a positive post.  We're no longer beholden to the "All Chips In" mantra from the Old Plan.  We're no longer going to desperately try to find a veteran that can fill the gap now, and excel in the playoffs now.  Instead, we're switching intent.  We've got a whole lot of young players from the last 4 drafts.  We're gonna give them as much starting experience as we can.  It's not about the plug-an-play veterans anymore.

We have always tried to build the team through the draft.  That’s always been the intent.  Quarterback is the only position where we tried to fill the hole.  Ballard never tried to use FA to aggressively fill other holes.  Always second tier FA.  Many of us were complaining about that.  Never tried to get that playmaker at WR1 either through FA or trade.  He always drafted RAS athletes banking on them improving over time.  What finally happened is the Ryan failure resulted in a draft pick that enabled the team to finally draft a high end prospect at quarterback.  Everything else is the same.  No big FA additions this year.  No major trades coming either I would suspect.  It’s business as usual.  The only difference is we now have a top quarterback prospect and a new HC. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We have always tried to build the team through the draft.  That’s always been the intent.  Quarterback is the only position where we tried to fill the hole.  Ballard never tried to use FA to aggressively fill other holes.  Always second tier FA.  Many of us were complaining about that.  Never tried to get that playmaker at WR1 either through FA or trade.  He always drafted RAS athletes banking on them improving over time.  What finally happened is the Ryan failure resulted in a draft pick that enabled the team to finally draft a high end prospect at quarterback.  Everything else is the same.  No big FA additions this year.  No major trades coming either I would suspect.  It’s business as usual.  The only difference is we now have a top quarterback prospect and a new HC. 

Right, I dont really see this as a "new plan" either.

This is just the first time our options in the draft were superior to our options outside of the draft, at quarterback. And the only reason expectations are a bit tempered this season is the presence of a 20 year old question mark at QB. The rest of the roster, while not perfect, is probably good enough to be in contention for the division and playoffs.......if healthy and with a good QB in place.

The hope is obviously that they have found a future star at QB, and if they have, people are gonna find out real quick how much that changes the perception of this team moving forward.

They have a ton of cap space next year.......so if Richardson pans out, they are gonna be in a great spot with a pretty good roster and around 86 million in cap space to work with.

Its a pretty exciting time to be a Colts fan in my opinion. 

Just now, DattMavis said:

Am I bad for hoping all of our players develop wonderfully and look like they’ll all be elite, but we lose most games by a field goal, just so we can get Marvin Harrison Jr.? :hide:

Yes. Im tired of losing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Yes. Im tired of losing.

You gotta break some eggs to make an omelette, you gotta have some rain to grow corn, and any other cliche idiom.

I’d personally take a year of pain to have a decade of “Richardson to Harrison!” haha

Just now, DattMavis said:

You gotta break some eggs to make an omelette, you gotta have some rain to grow corn, and any other cliche idiom.

I’d personally take a year of pain to have a decade of “Richardson to Harrison!” haha

Weve been busting eggs for awhile now.

Dont get me wrong, I think hes gonna be fantastic and wouldnt mind trading up for him. 

But I cant hope we lose games, unless its for a QB like Manning or Luck. No other position is worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

Weve been busting eggs for awhile now.

Dont get me wrong, I think hes gonna be fantastic and wouldnt mind trading up for him. 

But I cant hope we lose games, unless its for a QB like Manning or Luck. No other position is worth it.

I don’t think we’ve been cracking eggs the past few years as much as we’ve been finding old Easter eggs that were hidden too well outside throughout a hot summer. They might still look pretty on the outside, but once you get them in the house, they stink the whole place up! haha

• Like 2

By the way, I just want to call attention to something I'm not doing.

I stated an opinion in my opening post.  And there have been a few people who have disagreed with me in this point or that point.

What I'm not doing is spending the next 20 pages defending my opinion to the death, until my detractors either admit they were egregiously wrong, or give up trying.

It's ok for people to disagree with you.  Accepting it is a key to a low stress life.

But I am enjoying all of the sincere counter-arguments.  (It's possible that I can be wrong, too!)  :) :) :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Am I bad for hoping all of our players develop wonderfully and look like they’ll all be elite, but we lose most games by a field goal, just so we can get Marvin Harrison Jr.? :hide:

Sorry the answer is yes.  It’s never about one player.  Even if his father played for us. 

59 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I stated an opinion in my opening post.  And there have been a few people who have disagreed with me in this point or that point.

What I'm not doing is spending the next 20 pages defending my opinion to the death, until my detractors either admit they were egregiously wrong, or give up trying.

It's ok for people to disagree with you.  Accepting it is a key to a low stress life.

But I am enjoying all of the sincere counter-arguments.  (It's possible that I can be wrong, too!)  :) :) :) 

Agree.  The problem with a few in this forum though is they do not understand the concept of:  A.  An opinion of another; B.  How to disagree with that opinion but, accept that someone may also disagree with them; C.  Have a conversation about differing views without attacking someone seeing it differently.  

Some people just believe their position is fact, not their own “opinion.”   

Good comment @John Hammonds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’m in no way comparing AR to Luck, so get off my back, lol!

I just wanted to say that I thought 2012 was a rebuilding year.  

I won’t be at all surprised if we have a winning record.  

I'd be floored.  I think it would be a sure sign of the END TIMES lol. 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Awesome man.  Reasonable people can disagree. . . 

Except I guess on the internets. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Even if we did, I imagine Ballard trading back at least once , next years crop of QBs look better on paper and he might be able to get a haul similar to the bears . 

I just get the picture that Irsay isn’t firing Ballard even if we go 17-0. 

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

They have a ton of cap space next year.......so if Richardson pans out, they are gonna be in a great spot with a pretty good roster and around 86 million in cap space to work with.

No one is going to listen to this, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Don't get your hopes up. 

Free agents include Pittman, JT, Grover, Rigo, Blackmon, etc. Plus about $15m to sign the draft class (this year's class is $17m). Don't expect a huge windfall in FA next year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Superman said:

No one is going to listen to this, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Don't get your hopes up. 

Free agents include Pittman, JT, Grover, Rigo, Blackmon, etc. Plus about $15m to sign the draft class (this year's class is $17m). Don't expect a huge windfall in FA next year.

Depending on where we end up draft wise, I could see Pittman let go. Unless he super balls out this year of course but I’m betting we could replace him cheaper in the draft for similar or better production

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I dont expect that. I expect maybe 1 significant signing or trade at a key position.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I just think they were building a specific trajectory for a couple years, and Luck retiring derailed that plan. While they should have gone with a rookie QB as early as 2020, but definitely by 2021 -- and I say that with the benefit of hindsight, but apparently they seriously considered drafting QBs each year -- they delayed the inevitable. It seems like Reich was a big factor in those decisions; he's gone now, and that's probably a big reason why.

I also never took the 'all chips in' comment as being about strategy, but about attitude. Either way, it didn't pay off, unless you count getting the #4 pick so we could draft AR.

At this point, the direction of the team is directly tied to the play of the young guys across the roster. We know what Nelson, JT, Pitt, Buckner, Grover, Leonard, etc., can do, when healthy. What will determine if this team is able to really compete in the next 3 years will be how the young guys you mentioned perform -- AR, Cross, Raimann, Paye, Dayo, all the DBs, Pierce, Woods, etc. If it were up to me, I probably would have moved Kelly and Moore, not because they can't play, but because of positional value and age, but they at least provide a good baseline as long as they're healthy. 

I was growing very frustrated with decision making and the state of the roster last season. Before Reich was fired, I was starting to check out. The end of 2021 and beginning of 2022 were not fun. Since then, aside from the Saturday situation, I think they've done the right things to reset the direction. And ultimately, the Saturday situation didn't really hurt anything, it was just messy and unnecessary. But that all seems so long ago now. If AR and half the young guys hit, we probably won't even remember 2022.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Depending on where we end up draft wise, I could see Pittman let go. Unless he super balls out this year of course but I’m betting we could replace him cheaper in the draft for similar or better production

The WR market is all over the place, and Pittman had a terrible season last year. Plus the draft value for WRs is a major factor. Not sure what his market is going to be at this point, but it don't really see him being a must keep. He'd have to be really productive this season.

I also have no idea what might happen with JT, but if he bounces back, it's likely they'll keep him. I'm waiting to see what happens with Barkley, if anything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

The old plan never could work because there is no such thing as a 'plug-and-play' football player.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

The WR market is all over the place, and Pittman had a terrible season last year. Plus the draft value for WRs is a major factor. Not sure what his market is going to be at this point, but it don't really see him being a must keep. He'd have to be really productive this season.

I also have no idea what might happen with JT, but if he bounces back, it's likely they'll keep him. I'm waiting to see what happens with Barkley, if anything.

My thoughts are similar. 

Barkley has been beat up, over used. 

mostly JT has not. But it all depends on JT and how he recovers from the nagging ankle injuries last year. If he returns to form, that being one that can push Henry for the rushing title, then by all means, a 1-3 year deal would be perfect, even if it’s expensive. Provided of course it has an easy out after year 2. 

Here are a few things I am fairly certain of for this team.

1. This will be Steichen's easiest year of coaching. Everyone is hungry and no one can have an ego. You don't get to have an ego with the record the Colts had last year. Everyone is listening.

2. Leadership will come from the defense this year. The vocal leaders are on that side of the ball. Richardson would do well to take cues from there.

3. Richardson will be defined by the details, everything from putting touch on a pass to a back to sliding at the end of a run to making sure hand-offs are in the right place at the right time. 

4. I don't like Steichen calling plays but he has said he will. Being a head coach has a lot of moving parts and he needs to manage them all. 

5. Sparano may be the most important change made. The offense will live or die on who plays on the OL and how well they play together.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I thought Blackmon had a down year in 2022. He better up his game if he wants a new contract with the Colts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Even if we did, I imagine Ballard trading back at least once , next years crop of QBs look better on paper and he might be able to get a haul similar to the bears . 

I just get the picture that Irsay isn’t firing Ballard even if we go 17-0. 

I hope he dosnt fire anyone after going 17-0 lol. I'm sure you meant 0-17 but I had to. 

I think Ballard's job is safe for two years unless this year turns out similar to last year or worse. 

• Like 2