Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts - The New Plan

John Hammonds

4 hours ago, KB said:

I hope he dosnt fire anyone after going 17-0 lol. I'm sure you meant 0-17 but I had to. 

I think Ballard's job is safe for two years unless this year turns out similar to last year or worse. 

No that was spun that way for a reason hehe

I think colts are conducting business as they usually do Except they drafted a rookie QB as opposed to a aging veteran.

Steinchen is a unproven, first time HC, as were his 2 predecessors(Pagano & Reich)...

.....once again spent lightly in FA....... Traded back several times in draft to acquire additional picks to address needs and holes that weren't addressed in FA by mid-tier FA's that are more expensive than mid round rookie contracts.....and this season draft picks like the last couple seasons draft picks have very high RAZ scores.

Slow Rebuild? I don't know. But like 2012, I think along with Houston the colts contend for division/playoffs. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Weve been busting eggs for awhile now.

Dont get me wrong, I think hes gonna be fantastic and wouldnt mind trading up for him. 

But I cant hope we lose games, unless its for a QB like Manning or Luck. No other position is worth it.

The colts trade 2024 25 26 first and 2nd for harrison lol might take something like that to get him in a trade up

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

The colts trade 2024 25 26 first and 2nd for harrison lol might take something like that to get him in a trade up

It all depends on where you are trading up from. But no I wouldnt ever give up that much for a receiver.

QBs make receivers anyway. If Richardson is legit, he will elevate the WR we already have.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 7:44 AM, John Hammonds said:

For those who are watching, you are witnessing a massive switch - from the Old Plan to the New Plan.

What was the Old Plan?  The Old Plan started in 2018.  When we made a franchise-defining choice to draft a generational guard and big play off-ball linebacker.  And our oft injured start quarterback came back healthy, and played.  To that, we added a new, first-time head coach.  And we won games.  And went to the playoffs.  And won against the Chiefs!  With the quarterback's superman cape blowing in the breeze.  And we believed we were on our way to the superbowl.  And then....  Our star quarterback retired.  And we replaced him with an aged veteran with a history with our head coach.  And we went back to the playoffs.  And then that quarterback retired.  And then our left tackle retired.  And our tight end.  And we released our WR1.  And that became the theme of the Old Plan:  desperately trying to plug holes left by valuable players, while trying to get back to the playoffs.  Until last season, when that collapsed in an ingnomineous heap.

This year, we have initiated the New Plan.  The theme of the New Plan?

"Give the young players the experience they desperately need."

We hired a guy who had never been a head coach before, and gave him a 6-year contract.

We hired a guy who had never been an offensive line coach before, and gave him a chance.

We drafted a young quarterback with only 13 games played, and isn't even old enough to drink.

We released a veteran DE, who was the quintessential LEO for the defense, and instead we're going to start the guy we drafted in the first round to be our starting DE.  In fact, we're gonna start both DE's from that draft.

I expect we will start at least 3, and possibly even 4 of the rookies we drafted by the end of the season.  Slot receiver Downs and cornerback Brents are already as good as, or nearly as good as, the guy who occupies their positions.  And our quarterback?  How long is it before he'll be better than Ehlinger or Minshew?  I expect him to be starting before the end of the season.  Blake Freeland is a Tackle.  Not an interior lineman.  How long will it be before the Colts toy with the idea of starting him at right tackle, and moving Smith inside?  Even rookie nickel corner Darius Rush might get into the action.

I also expect us to start 2nd year player Nick Cross at strong safety.  He has the talent.  And can play.  His problem?  He needed experience.  Well, this is your lucky year, Nick.  Because that's the theme of the New Plan.

I don't expect us to win a lot of games.  Sure, we'll win some.  With the talent on this team, we cannot help but expect to win some.  But winning games is not the goal of this year.  Getting the young guys the experience they need is the theme of the year.

Welcome to the New Plan.

If the Giants can turn it around in 1 season so can the Colts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

If the Giants can turn it around in 1 season so can the Colts. 

A healthy taylor and leonard plus the oline playing good would help. Hopefully we actually win game 1 for once

• Like 1