Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

12 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Because he is mediocre to bad…..always hurt…. And makes too much money.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kelly has regressed the last three years.   Likely due to injuries, but they’ve impacted his performance.   He was signed to be a top-5 center, but has been performing as a top-15/20 center.    Poor return on the investment.  

Thank you for answering. I ask questions so that I can learn more rather than assume that I know the reason behind a sentiment. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

There is a middle ground. No one is saying Ballard should go nuts in FA but spending more here and there through the years is a legit way to improve a team. FA costs what they cost. It’s not overspending if milk costs $3. It’s what milk costs. 

It’s also day one.  He will make some moves in time.  People did this last year too and ended up being thrilled with some of his moves.  It’s also worth pointing out the Colts aren’t exactly flush with cap space right now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for answering. I ask questions so that I can learn more rather than assume that I know the reason behind a sentiment. 

Always happy to answer a sincere question, and I know you’re always sincere.   Also, you’re a Vikings fan.  I don’t expect you to know the Colts as well as you know Minnesota.  

I’m hugely impressed that you’re willing to be a moderator here.   Can’t thank you enough for that.   So answering a question seems the least I can do for a friend.   Always happy to try to help. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Great news.  I knew they were going to lose Bobby and had grown to accept that but I was worried about losing Speed too.  He did great last year in limited reps.

Thank you!   Best news of the day!     :thmup:

I hoped this would happen.   Ballard and his scouts found him and helped EJ become a promising young player, it would’ve been a shame to lose him.  

A win-win deal.  Speed gets another bite at the free agent Apple in two years.  By then, we’ll know much more about Shaq’s health and whether or not it’s time to move on.    Good job, Colts!    

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Imagine this: Seattle or whoever trades up to 3 and takes a QB. Ballard goes to Irsay and says there are no QBs he trusts and Jalen Carter is the only game wrecker left in the draft. Ballard can say he got perhaps the best player in the draft AND puts off the QB risk we all know he is scared to take for another year. It’s not beyond the realm and I think Ballard would love this scenario. His ego will not allow him to change strategies because he’d have to admit he was wrong. Pride goeth… 

I would not hate this scenario. Not sure on Carter. But if Irsay is in... #TankFor24

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

for those upset with Ballard’s lack of spending a reminder:

This happens every single year. All we heard last year was how good the Broncos were gonna be and how good the Raiders were gonna be and neither team was very good at all. Russ didnt do squat and the Raiders were better without Devonte Adams. How could that be?

90% of these signings are gonna have little to no impact and all you have to do is pay the slightest bit of attention to realize that.

This board, as usual, is a sea of overreaction. 

This team needs a QB. Whoever they take needs to be able to play. Until they do that, its gonna be tough sledding. 

Games arent played on a piece of paper. 

• Like 6

Dalvin Tomlinson to the Browns on a big deal

Side note:

As Colts fans we really, really should enjoy Grover this season, because I feel like there is a strong likelihood this will be his last year here. He will be a FA next season and be 31 at that point. 

The Interior DL market has exploded this off-season. Non-Edge Defensive linemen have received some of the biggest contracts so far:

D.Payne- $22.5 average per year (APY)

J.Hargrave- $21M APY

D.Jones- $17M APY

Z.Allen- $16M APY

D.Tomlinson- $14.3M APY

D.Onyemata- $11.7M APY

And this is before the next wave of superstar non-Edge DL get their bag coming up with guys like Quinnen Williams, Jeffery Simmons, Dexter Lawrence, etc

Fans should really enjoy him while we can. He has become an absolute monster in the middle and easily is a $15M-$20M APY guy after this year even though he isn't racking up sacks. 

The league is finally recognizing the value of the big guys that do the dirty work even if they are not 8-10 sack per season guys. 

Long overdue. 

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lol

I listen to him on CBS radio every Friday night at work. He is a huge Colts fan, he has been since the early 2000's. He was bashing the Colts Friday night for not trading up to get the #1 spot after Carolina did. He was devastated and wanted Bryce Young. I can't blame him for being real annoyed, this is a media head that is a true Colts fan and here we are giving a Kicker huge money when Chase was good last year Angry Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

First off I am being sarcastic when I say this so I don't get any sad faces but is Ballard purposefully trying to sabotage this team? We could have used that money in a lot of different huge needs.

:facepalm:

At least it’s not a sad face.   But still….   :thmdown:

3 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

So it looks like he was on the Colts practice squad in 2020. Interesting. Makes sense.

He is going to get some criticism for this. Another big contract to a non premium position. 

Yea he was signed to our PS back then when he lost the TB job to Succop back in the day.

He was basically signed as competition/insurance to a rookie Hot Rod and lost out to Hot Rod

Rams scooped him around the middle of the season 2020 when they had their own kicker injuries and basically 2021-2022 he has been a top-5 kicker for them. 

Good get. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What was wrong with Chase? He was good last year.

I thought he was good as well.   But apparently, Ballard and his team think that signing someone they think is among the best kickers will make a difference.  

And it may be that Gay does kickoffs instead of Sanchez.   I don’t know?   But Ballard has always recognized the importance of Special Teams, so if he thinks he’s just improved the overall team with a big splash ST signing, that gets my attention.  

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chase was 30-36 = 83.3% and was 21-21 in Extra points = 100%. He was 9-12 outside of 50 yards which is very good. Justin Tucker made just 86% of his kicks last year and he is arguably the GOAT.

Today is starting to give me a headache, I have to log off.

Hang on hang on hang on!

Let me calm you down and talk you off the ledge lol

Matt Gay is a bigtime upgrade.

Chase had a good year. He did. But Chase was historically not great before last year. He was a band aid that had a career year. And is not likely to repeat it.

Chase's career numbers are decent. 78.8% on FGs. He is even decent at 50+ yards at 81%

Where is he brutal? where it matters most for kickers a lot of the time. 40-49 yards. He is a career 59.4% kicker from that range. Oof.

Gay was here on the PS in 2020 before the Rams signed him away from our PS.

Since then?

Gay is 91.5% on FGs, still 75% at 50+ (solid) and exceptional 40-49 at 88%

Ballard doesn't spend money for us seemingly ever. I will definitely not bash him for making our team better by spending money. We just got better. 

A kicker is not a premium position, but the Gay contract is in line with what he should make as a top-5 kicker. And we already know him well from his half a season here hopefully. 

It is a good get. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

Hang on hang on hang on!

Chase had a good year. He did. But Chase was historically not great before last year. He was a band aid that had a career year. And is not likely to repeat it.

Chase's career numbers are decent. 78.8% on FGs. He is even decent at 50+ yards at 81%

Where is he brutal? where it matters most for kickers a lot of the time. 40-49 yards. He is a career 59.4% kicker from that range. Oof.

Since then?

Ballard doesn't spend money for us seemingly ever. I will definitely not bash him for making our team better by spending money. We just got better. 

At kicker is not a premium position, but the Gay contract is in line with what he should make as a top-5 kicker. And we already know him well from his half a season here hopefully. 

It is a good get. 

I predict Matt Gay will lead the 2023 Colts in scoring. ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Hang on hang on hang on!

Since then?

A kicker is not a premium position, but the Gay contract is in line with what he should make as a top-5 kicker. And we already know him well from his half a season here hopefully. 

It is a good get. 

Yeah Im not sure why everyone thought Chase was that good. He cost us the Eagles game and was barely passable, in my opinion.

Gay is a terrific kicker and a really good kickoff guy as well if I remember right. They might not want Rigo to stress his leg next year and just focus on punting. 

I also dont think the draft was very good for the position this year, which is where I felt like they would address it. 

I think its a pretty good signing and a very important position. Im certainly not gonna waste time being upset we CLEARLY improved the team by bringing in a fantastic kicker. Ill take that over an average RG or a reciever that only has 8 tds over a 4 year span and runs a 4.6.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Unbelievable…. Matt gay will find a way to screw us from getting the #1 pick next year, just watch. At this point maybe we’ll be good in 2033.  Enough with Ballard. 

So Ballard signed maybe the best kicker in the league and you wanna hate on him? You just like me, don't have a clue on what total plans Ballard has in mind. It's way to early in the game to have a negative outlook.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Unbelievable…. Matt gay will find a way to screw us from getting the #1 pick next year, just watch. At this point maybe we’ll be good in 2033.  Enough with Ballard. 

This fan base is never happy with anything. Feel like I’m on Destiny 2 subreddit sometimes with all of the complaining. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I listen to him on CBS radio every Friday night at work. He is a huge Colts fan, he has been since the early 2000's. He was bashing the Colts Friday night for not trading up to get the #1 spot after Carolina did. He was devastated and wanted Bryce Young. I can't blame him for being real annoyed, this is a media head that is a true Colts fan and here we are giving a Kicker huge money when Chase was good last year Angry Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

He would have been devastated either way - Ballard ain't picking 5'10" 190 pounds QB at no. 1 :dunno:

• Like 1