Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What did you except, I told my step-father this morning around 10am when I called him, we wouldn't sign anyone of big name today. I bet him a steak dinner. St Elmo here I come Hungry Homer Simpson GIF

You got more out of today than most people lol. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

Actually him taking a rookie most likely buys him more time. Getting a vet would be more of a win now situation. 

Obviously we had a thorough organizational shake up so I'm honestly thinking there's a plan and none of us have a clue what's going on. 

They kept EVERYTHING tight lipped during the coaching search so this seems like something along that same route.

Those are my hopes at least.

• Like 1

Just now, IinD said:

Obviously we had a thorough organizational shake up so I'm honestly thinking there's a plan and none of us have a clue what's going on. 

They kept EVERYTHING tight lipped during the coaching search so this seems like something along that same route.

I think so too honestly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Probably right there. Ballard is backed into a corner, so he is doing what he once feared, drafting a QB in hopes of getting the guy.

He knows this potentially will be his last shot at a long term QB, and yet no panic. It’s pretty impressive honestly. 

1 minute ago, IinD said:

I think Ballard is still in control for the most part. He's still doing FA IMO, and I think the only input Steichen has had is that he's ok with any QB, but they have them ranked in some order, which is why we are still at 4. 

Things are still the same as ever except Ballard is forced to hit on a QB in the draft rather than FA this time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only reason I haven't mentioned yet is that Ryan is being shopped. If that's true, it should have happened before FA started. This is literally the only reason why we haven't released him yet, and I doubt anyone is going to bite. If we release him on the 17th (the deadline), it's going to screw over our FA. I'm tired of dealing with this every year with Ballard in FA.

Im tired of it too.   I’d love to know what the reason is.   

But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a good and valid reason.   If there was no reason, I’m confident both Steichen and Irsay would tell him to get it done ASAP! 

Again, there IS a reason….   Even if none of us here understands it. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a good and valid reason.   If there was no reason, I’m confident both Steichen and Irsay would tell him to get it done ASAP! 

At this point a lot of my posts are just being sarcastic. I have to make light of the situation because I have no idea what this team is doing as in making Homer Gif's and just trying to block things out that make me annoyed. I hope we have a plan and make some good choices. It is what it is, I will always be a fan of the team though. Have been since 1984.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

The Bears and the Broncos. I am surprised that the Broncos have the cap space for all these signings. Is Jeudy a free agent?

Nope, he's under contract for one more year, plus the possible 5th year option. The Broncos have the Penners as owners (they own Wal-Mart) and they are guaranteeing money in these contracts up front. Sean Payton as the HC also helps. So they have $5-$6 million left in cap space if I've counted right.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Here's what I don't get. Ballard won't be here much longer if he doesn't improve quickly. Relying on a rookie is risky. Relying on a rookie when you are being passive and on the hot seat is crazy. Does he really think a rookie at 4 is going to save his job when he isn't even giving this kid a proper team to play with?

Only the owner needs to believe in the current plan.

He wouldn't be here if he is crazy! So...

Just wondering, do you know if Ryan still wants to play, and if he does what might the financial circumstances be?

We could pay half his salary and the new team pay the other half. What would that mean?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You’re close.   NFL.com reports 3/51.   That’s  $17m per.    More than I thought he’d get.  

Free agency is just crazy money.  

Darn. McGlinchey signed for $17.5 million a year. If Jones went for $18 or more, the signing of Jones wouldn't of been cancelled out. Now the Broncos won't get a 3rd round compensatory pick.

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If things go south, Sean Payton will just say bye bye and the Broncos will be left holding the bag

I honestly see a very similar situation that the Saints have been in the past few years. Absolute cap hell.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

for those upset with Ballard’s lack of spending a reminder:

That FA period got Mac Jones to be an average QB. We were 4-12-1 last year. Getting a FA period to improve us into a mediocre team in two years would be an improvement.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is it possible we’re waiting to see if he wants to retire?

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Ballard is still in control for the most part. He's still doing FA IMO, and I think the only input Steichen has had is that he's ok with any QB, but they have them ranked in some order, which is why we are still at 4. 

Things are still the same as ever except Ballard is forced to hit on a QB in the draft rather than FA this time.

Imagine this: Seattle or whoever trades up to 3 and takes a QB. Ballard goes to Irsay and says there are no QBs he trusts and Jalen Carter is the only game wrecker left in the draft. Ballard can say he got perhaps the best player in the draft AND puts off the QB risk we all know he is scared to take for another year. It’s not beyond the realm and I think Ballard would love this scenario. His ego will not allow him to change strategies because he’d have to admit he was wrong. Pride goeth… 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Is it possible we’re waiting to see if he wants to retire?

Matt would do us a huge solid if he retired. I don't see it though. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

That's the thing, he has til the 17th to decide. Is that really going to make a difference?

It would money wise but all the good Free agents are flying off the board.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’m hoping sometime this week we hear that the colts are signing  guard Seumalo…..trading  Ryan Kelly to the cardinals for Hopkins…..maybe  trading our second round pick to the broncos for juedy….I can dream can’t I?

Seumalo is a possibility.  

I am leaning towards us taking a RT in the 2nd with pick 45-55.

And no we do not have that pick yet.

Yes this moves Smith over.

We need to end up with a pick or two from Seattle or the Bears.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

for those upset with Ballard’s lack of spending a reminder:

There is a middle ground. No one is saying Ballard should go nuts in FA but spending more here and there through the years is a legit way to improve a team. FA costs what they cost. It’s not overspending if milk costs $3. It’s what milk costs. 

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Why do Colts fans want to trade away or cut Ryan Kelly?

Kelly has regressed the last three years.   Likely due to injuries, but they’ve impacted his performance.   He was signed to be a top-5 center, but has been performing as a top-15/20 center.    Poor return on the investment.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1