Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

Just now, NFLfan said:

Is Matt Ryan and Nick Foles still on the Colts? When I was checking the list of QBs taking up the highest cap space, Kirk Cousins was 4th and I believe Matt Ryan was 5th or 6th. 

Both are still on the Colts.  I expect, we all expect, that to change in the next day or two.  

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Is Matt Ryan and Nick Foles still on the Colts? When I was checking the list of QBs taking up the highest cap space, Kirk Cousins was 4th and I believe Matt Ryan was 5th or 6th. 

Yep, they are both still on the roster and I don't know why we don't cut them. Could save 18 million in cap space with Matt Ryan and a decent amount with Foles as well.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If only that were possible?   Huh?

Can I safely assume sarcasm?  

Yes. I don't understand why Ballard isn't doing it. There is no cap savings in 2 days from what I'm aware of, and I doubt Matt Ryan is going to change his mind on retiring in two days. All this is doing is putting us at a disadvantage in cap space in FA and hindering our ability to sign FAs by not releasing him.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes. I don't understand why Ballard isn't doing it. There is no cap savings in 2 days from what I'm aware of, and I doubt Matt Ryan is going to change his mind on retiring in two days. All this is doing is putting us at a disadvantage in cap space in FA and hindering our ability to sign FAs by not releasing him.

Food for thought…..

Just because no one here doesn’t know why Ballard has not cut Ryan and Foles yet, doesn’t mean there isn’t a good and valid reason.   I’m just as curious as you and anyone else.   But I never think Ballard doesn’t have a reason for what he does or doesn’t do.    There is a reason.  Even if no one here knows it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Foles is cheap. A different backup is going to cost more money. Unless the plan is to stick with Sam as backup. Not opposed to that.

Ok, then release Ryan and keep Foles as the Veteran, That frees up $18 million and allows us to sign FAs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

This board is ok but it has too many people who wanna be moderators and cant mind their own business.

I am sorry you feel this way. I often appreciate your points of view but I can do without the arguing back and forth. 

2 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

I’ve made up this wild scenario in my head today that Ryan wants to go back to Atlanta for a mentor role to Ridder and the Colts and Falcons are finalizing whether it’s going to be for a 7th next year or the year after. 

A man can dream!

That’s actually not that wild lol. He would have to take a pay cut. But could then retire a falcon after this year. Colts would cut him though not trade him.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Sterling Shepard

Yeah but he is staying with his team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Food for thought…..

Just because no one here doesn’t know why Ballard has not cut Ryan and Foles yet, doesn’t mean there isn’t a good and valid reason.   I’m just as curious as you and anyone else.   But I never think Ballard doesn’t have a reason for what he does or doesn’t do.    There is a reason.  Even if no one here knows it.  

The only reason I haven't mentioned yet is that Ryan is being shopped. If that's true, it should have happened before FA started. This is literally the only reason why we haven't released him yet, and I doubt anyone is going to bite. If we release him on the 17th (the deadline), it's going to screw over our FA. I'm tired of dealing with this every year with Ballard in FA.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only reason I haven't mentioned yet is that Ryan is being shopped. If that's true, it should have happened before FA started. This is literally the only reason why we haven't released him yet, and I doubt anyone is going to bite. If we release him on the 17th (the deadline), it's going to screw over our FA. I'm tired of dealing with this every year with Ballard in FA.

When we release him will have no baring on FA.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Congrats! That's a big name I was hoping to get!

I'm not a fan of signing other teams' players. I hope he is a good player. I hope we don't give up Danielle Hunter for him. Maybe he replaces Zadarius Smith. 

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When we release him will have no baring on FA.

Yes it will. It will mean if we don't have the cap space to sign players, then other teams will be signing players for 4 more days (in this hypothetical scenario) before we have a chance to do something. In that case, we wouldn't get the 18 million dollars worth of salary cap relief for Matt Ryan. So we'd basically have 12 million or so to play around with for 4 days. Not completely inactive, but we wouldn't get anyone worthwhile.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I'm not a fan of signing other teams' players. I hope he is a good player. I hope we don't give up Danielle Hunter for him. Maybe he replaced Zadarius Smith. 

He's a really good player and you got a safe, one year deal to play him on as you try to contend with Cousins with Rodgers most likely leaving GB. He's playing for a multi-year contract, and you are getting him on a one-year deal that has no risk.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Again, why on earth would you trade the future on a guy who can’t play but half a season?! 

He wasn't as injured as he led on last year. The injury he had (said by doctors) heals normally in 3 weeks. He sat out for much longer to stick it to Baltimore IMO, think outside the box and look at everything. Up until 2021 he was never injured. He wants a contract and if he could play with a RB like Taylor that would take a huge load off him even running. Sooner or later we have to take a chance somewhere. Do you want to just stay stand pat and play all these average to bad QB's for the next 2 or 3 years and stink, I don't. After a while a guy can only have so much patience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He wasn't as injured as he led on last year. The injury he had (said by doctors) heals normally in 3 weeks. He sat out for much longer to stick it to Baltimore IMO, think outside the box and look at everything. Up until 2021 he was never injured. He wants a contract and if he could play with a RB like Taylor that would take a huge load off him even running. Sooner or later we have to take a chance somewhere. Do you want to just stay stand pat and play all these average to bad QB's for the next 2 or 3 years and stink, I don't. After a while a guy can only have so much patience. 

The only thing that would save this lack of activity on day 1 is Lamar Jackson. I don't know what else to say. A rookie QB can't overcome this team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only thing that would save this lack of activity on day 1 is Lamar Jackson. I don't know what else to say. A rookie QB can't overcome this team. 

I don’t think the organization is expecting a rookie QB to save the day. I imagine the expectation is rebuild and taking some down years before it gets better. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

I don’t think the organization is expecting a rookie QB to save the day. I imagine the expectation is rebuild and taking some down years before it gets better. 

Here's what I don't get. Ballard won't be here much longer if he doesn't improve quickly. Relying on a rookie is risky. Relying on a rookie when you are being passive and on the hot seat is crazy. Does he really think a rookie at 4 is going to save his job when he isn't even giving this kid a proper team to play with?

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

If things go south, Sean Payton will just say bye bye and the Broncos will be left holding the bag

Yep. Sean Payton is trying to win immediately. His influence is attracting FAs, and the Penners pocketbook is allowing them to pay fully guaranteed money up front. We'll see how it goes for them. You have to realize too though, for this year, they are making up for draft picks with FAs as well.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Here's what I don't get. Ballard won't be here much longer if he doesn't improve quickly. Relying on a rookie is risky. Relying on a rookie when you are being passive and on the hot seat is crazy. Does he really think a rookie at 4 is going to save his job when he isn't even giving this kid a proper team to play with?

Actually him taking a rookie most likely buys him more time. Getting a vet would be more of a win now situation. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm not a fan of signing other teams' players. I hope he is a good player. I hope we don't give up Danielle Hunter for him. Maybe he replaces Zadarius Smith. 

Huge for a guy with 0.5 sack last year. But he's good. I wonder what caused his.lack of production

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Actually him taking a rookie most likely buys him more time. Getting a vet would be more of a win now situation. 

Probably right there. Ballard is backed into a corner, so he is doing what he once feared, drafting a QB in hopes of getting the guy.

• Like 1