Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Anybody Find It Strange That The Colts Only Met with 1 QB at the Draft Combine?

philba101

Okay, as we all know, the Colts hold the 4th pick in this year's draft.  The franchise is about to make one of its most important picks since picking #1 in 2012. Yet, the only confirmed official QB interview at the NFL Draft Combine last week was with Florida QB Anthony Richardson. Let's say Chris Ballard puts absolutely no stock in NFL Combine workouts.  Fine, wouldn't you at least want to sit down and do formal interviews with these players, pick their brains, see how they respond to different football scenarios? If the Colts are indeed going to pick the QB of their future in April, why would they pass up the opportunity to meet 1-on-1 with these prospects. Is Chris Ballard so intent on not tipping his hand to any opponents that he bypassed all public interviews as not to give anything away? After all, the Texans had scheduled meetings with Richardson, Stroud, Young and Levis. Could there be other issues at play here? Could the Colts already know what player they intend to draft? Could the Colts have absolutely no intention of taking a QB with pick #4 this year and are only trying to drive the price up for the Texans? Tell me that this is not a little bit strange? 

They probably told them to keep their mouths shut. Young and stroud were never asked if they had met with colts. Levis was asked on Friday so he could of met with them after his presser. They have been digging into Richardson a lot. I think they would rather bring them into the facility and have a longer time with them. Plus they can keep it more discreet then at the draft. It’s only like 15 minutes at the draft.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They probably told them to keep their mouths shut. Young and stroud were never asked if they had met with colts. Levis was asked on Friday so he could of met with them after his presser. They have been digging into Richardson a lot. I think they would rather bring them into the facility and have a longer time with them. Plus they can keep it more discreet then at the draft. It’s only like 15 minutes at the draft.

Are the teams allowed to have unlimited meetings with prospects at their facility? I am not sure how this is regulated.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am sure that the Colts can ask players to not talk about it if they want to be discreet, but there are so many coaches, scouts, and reporters there that meeting information is bound to leak out. 

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

I am sure that the Colts can ask players to not talk about it if they want to be discreet, but there are so many coaches, scouts, and reporters there that meeting information is bound to leak out. 

Which is why maybe the colts didn’t really value the Combine interviews. They really aren’t very long anyway and it’s hard to keep quiet.

24 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Okay, as we all know, the Colts hold the 4th pick in this year's draft.  The franchise is about to make one of its most important picks since picking #1 in 2012. Yet, the only confirmed official QB interview at the NFL Draft Combine last week was with Florida QB Anthony Richardson. Let's say Chris Ballard puts absolutely no stock in NFL Combine workouts.  Fine, wouldn't you at least want to sit down and do formal interviews with these players, pick their brains, see how they respond to different football scenarios? If the Colts are indeed going to pick the QB of their future in April, why would they pass up the opportunity to meet 1-on-1 with these prospects. Is Chris Ballard so intent on not tipping his hand to any opponents that he bypassed all public interviews as not to give anything away? After all, the Texans had scheduled meetings with Richardson, Stroud, Young and Levis. Could there be other issues at play here? Could the Colts already know what player they intend to draft? Could the Colts have absolutely no intention of taking a QB with pick #4 this year and are only trying to drive the price up for the Texans? Tell me that this is not a little bit strange? 

Is your statement even confirmed? 

I read another post here in the last few days saying the colts met with Young, Stroud, and Levis, but didn’t meet with AR.   

But, they had already met with Richardson in Florida in February.     So that info is the opposite of yours.   Again, what is your source? 

So….  Who/what is your source for confirmed interviews.   You didn’t say that.   And the Colts are meticulous about getting information.   They were exhaustive in their coaching search, I’m sure they are in their search for their new quarterback. 

This isn’t even on my list of things to worry about…… 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is your statement even confirmed? 

I read another post here in the last few days saying the colts met with Young, Stroud, and Levis, but didn’t meet with AR.   

But, they had already met with Richardson in Florida in February.     So that info is the opposite of yours.   Again, what is your source? 

So….  Who/what is your source for confirmed interviews.   You didn’t say that.  
And the Colts are meticulous about getting information.   They were exhaustive in their coaching search, I’m sure they are in their search for their new quarterback. 

This isn’t even on my list of things to worry about…… 

We know that the Colts only had a scheduled interview with Anthony Richardson. I don't know who controls that process or who records if official interviews take place. Apparently the league keeps track of these things as teams are only allowed to have 45 formal interviews. The other teams (Texans and Panthers) reported that they had scheduled interviews, whether they actually had interviews or not we can only officially know if the players or their agents tell us.

Panthers scheduled interviews with Hooker, Duggan, Stroud, Richardson, Young and Levis.

Texans met with Richardson, Levis, Young and Stroud.

https://nfltraderumors.co/2023-nfl-draft-visit-tracker/

My speculation would be the following - teams get limited number of interviews at the combine and they are relatively short(20-30 minutes). So now the question is - do you spend those valuable slots on QBs or on other players? One might say QBs, but keep in mind that again - those are short interviews and keep in mind - either way you will be getting those QBs for top-30 visits where you can actually spend quality time with them, wine them and dine them, work them out, interview them for full day... What can you do in those 20 minutes that you won't be able to do in a full day visit at Colts facilities? Maybe the Colts just decided that those are better allocated to other players that won't require as much intel and maybe you won't be able to invite or do a private workout with... 

Just now, Hawkeyecolt said:

There’s an interview with AR by Colin Herd where he says he had an informal interview with the Colts. He answers like he isn’t supposed to say anything. 

If he was not supposed to say anything and he did, does this hurt his standing with the Colts?

1 minute ago, stitches said:

My speculation would be the following - teams get limited number of interviews at the combine and they are relatively short(20-30 minutes). So now the question is - do you spend those valuable slots on QBs or on other players? One might say QBs, but keep in mind that again - those are short interviews and keep in mind - either way you will be getting those QBs for top-30 visits where you can actually spend quality time with them, wine them and dine them, work them out, interview them for full day... What can you do in those 20 minutes that you won't be able to do in a full day visit at Colts facilities? Maybe the Colts just decided that those are better allocated to other players that won't require as much intel and maybe you won't be able to invite or do a private workout with... 

How does the process work for facility interviews? Are teams limited on how many they can do and for how long?

43 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Please don’t read too much into this, at the Combine you’re only allowed 15 mins in totality to interview a prospect. The real interview occurs at Pro-Days there isn’t a set amount of time that you can meet with a prospect at pro days so that’s where a lot of the REAL interviewing occurs.

Is it possible they saved their interviews for the ones they knew the least about or had the most questions about, and wanted to know more in person?

Or they could be setting the stage for future interviews, given the limited time?

10 minutes ago, philba101 said:

We know that the Colts only had a scheduled interview with Anthony Richardson. I don't know who controls that process or who records if official interviews take place. Apparently the league keeps track of these things as teams are only allowed to have 45 formal interviews. The other teams (Texans and Panthers) reported that they had scheduled interviews, whether they actually had interviews or not we can only officially know if the players or their agents tell us.

Panthers scheduled interviews with Hooker, Duggan, Stroud, Richardson, Young and Levis.

Texans met with Richardson, Levis, Young and Stroud.

https://nfltraderumors.co/2023-nfl-draft-visit-tracker/

Ok….

Well….  First, I don’t think this list is to be considered complete.   This is all the info that’s been gathered, and should not be considered the definitive master list.  Not just for the Colts, but for every team.  

If teams are allotted 30 meetings with players then there should be 30 meetings confirmed if this list is complete.   But it’s not.   

Second….   I saw tidbits on Richardson and Levis.   But I saw no mention of anything regarding Young and Stroud and the Colts.   No mention.   Nothing.    So how do you know we didn’t meet with them?

Honestly, you’re making way too much out of way too little.    There’s nothing to be concerned over.  The Colts are not going to make such an important decision without doing an exhaustive process to get  every last bit of information.   

Look what they did for the HC search.   They’ll do something similar for their new QB.    Honestly.  

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….

Well….  First, I don’t think this list is to be considered complete.   This is all the info that’s been gathered, and should not be considered the definitive master list.  Not just for the Colts, but for every team.  

If teams are allotted 30 meetings with players then there should be 30 meetings confirmed if this list is complete.   But it’s not.   

Second….   I saw tidbits on Richardson and Levis.   But I saw no mention of anything regarding Young and Stroud and the Colts.   No mention.   Nothing.    So how do you know we didn’t meet with them?

Honestly, you’re making way too much out of way too little.    There’s nothing to be concerned over.  The Colts are not going to make such an important decision without doing an exhaustive process to get  every last bit of information.   

Look what they did for the HC search.   They’ll do something similar for their new QB.    Honestly.  

You could be right, I would think they would take every opportunity to meet with these guys if one of them is going to be our QB of the future.

27 minutes ago, philba101 said:

How does the process work for facility interviews? Are teams limited on how many they can do and for how long?

They are called top-30 visits. Every team is allowed to schedule 30 in-house visits with the prospects of the draft(usually the visit is full day). It's a bit of misnomer ... the "top" part because they can use it on any prospect really... might be top 5 player or might be UDFA prospect if they want. So... what teams can do at those:

- team doctors and trainers can do their own examinations and evaluations of the player

- teams are not allowed to do on-field football workout during those

- players can tour the facility, but not workout(from what I gather it's used as sort of a way to get to know them... see how they interact with people around them, with support personnel, etc.)

- film sessions with the prospect and coaches, this can include reviewing their own film from college and giving theor own perspective on situations that happened or giving them film from the league to analyze and see if they understand concepts 

- the prospect might actually meet some players of the team(if they are around the facility at the time)... again, teams use it to see how he interracts with (prospective) teammates

- meetings/interviews with the GM/FO/Owner

- in some cases teams invite teammates of the player they are actually interested in in order to get info on that player(example, Colts might invite O'Cyrus Torrence(OG, Florida) in order to get more info on Anthony Richardson... of course they won't tell him that but yeah... it happens) 

Another type of visit is On campus visit and workout - this time the team travels to the player's school and they are allowed to work him out there. (I think this is what the Colts have done with Richardson already... at least it seemed like that's what he was hinting at when he answered the Rich Eisen question about meeting officially with the Colts and he said he's met with them informally and done a workout for them... )

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….

Some reporter said we coddled up with all the QB'S. 

Richardson did just fine Recreating Mariuchi's play.

He hasn't played that much or been well coached. 

He had a high number of throw aways and a lot of dropped passes.

2 more receptions a game and he is above 60%.

What all that means is that people here bashing his accuracy and fundamentals are talking nonsense. Bla bla bla.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not for franchise quarterbacks, they’re not.   Those get tons of research and interviews. 

I'm sure these QBs got plenty of research. The combine is not the only opportunity to meet. Like I said, I wouldn't put too much into it..

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

No. Youve got all the way to the draft for that. And plenty players drafted without talking to the team. Ask Reggie. I doubt Colts go without talking with every targeted QB though.

50 minutes ago, philba101 said:

You could be right, I would think they would take every opportunity to meet with these guys if one of them is going to be our QB of the future.

The list is not complete.   The Colts might’ve met with all if them.   But that doesn’t mean they haven’t met with them.   

Again….   No mention of Young or Stroud.   That doesn’t mean the Colts haven’t met with them. 

51 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Some reporter said we coddled up with all the QB'S. 

Richardson did just fine Recreating Mariuchi's play.

He hasn't played that much or been well coached. 

He had a high number of throw aways and a lot of dropped passes.

2 more receptions a game and he is above 60%.

What all that means is that people here bashing his accuracy and fundamentals are talking nonsense. Bla bla bla.

No.   This is absolutely NOT about nonsense.   Not even a little.    Sorry. 

53 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Careful. You’ll incite rage within the Levis and Richardson lovers that don’t want to accept certain things. 

I know, I know….   

BBZ is using an argument he heard on ESPN from Dan Orlovsky.   I wasn’t all that impressed with it then, or today with BBZ trying to sell it. 

Im not saying AR can’t be great, or that he might not be the first QB picked.   I don’t know.    I’m ONLY saying the concerns NFL people have are REAL and LEGITIMATE.  
Those concerns have to be overcome.   And that’s easier said than done.   Same is true for all QBs in this class.  

I think fans tend to look at these guys as what they are right this minute and compare them.....but I think NFL teams look at these guys as what they think they could be in 3 years, and that is what determines who they take in the end. 

No I dont think its strange at all, I feel like they are gonna see these guys plenty over the next month leading up to the draft.

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think fans tend to look at these guys as what they are right this minute and compare them.....but I think NFL teams look at these guys as what they think they could be in 3 years, and that is what determines who they take in the end. 

No I dont think its strange at all, I feel like they are gonna see these guys plenty over the next month leading up to the draft.

Thank you.   I’ve been saying this since I arrived here nearly 11 years ago.   

Fans see what a player IS.   Scouts try to see what a player CAN BECOME.   And those are entirely different.  

So I rarely understand fans who claim they know just how good or bad young quarterbacks are.   Justin Fields?   Mac Jones?   Daniel Jones?   Tua?   Jordan Love?   Trey Lance?    Plenty of examples.  But many fans here insist THEY KNOW.   They’ve SEEN ENOUGH.   

It’s the hardest position to judge in sports. More decisions are wrong than are right.   More information is always better.  

When I start piecing all the clues together I keep coming back to the fact that the Colts are planning on moving up to #1 but Ballard is making shrewd GM maneuvers in the hopes of bringing down Chicago’s asking price.  The clues that have led me to this conclusion are Rick Venturi’s interview on JMV and Irsay’s statement about “the guy in Alabama”.  I think the two are connected.  I highly doubt Irsay is breaking down a lot of college football tape.  But Venturi does and said he and Gruden spent weeks breaking down tape of the top prospects.  I believe Irsay highly values Rick’s opinion. 

Spin it forward, Venturi flat out says on JMV that the only move the Colts should make is moving to #1 and getting their guy.  And that guy is Bryce Young.  He views him as head and shoulders (pun intended) above all the other QB prospects.  I imagine he told Irsay his same evaluation. Irsay being Irsay just couldn’t help himself and made the public statement at Shane’s hiring.  Maybe Jim just couldn’t help himself or maybe he was flat out letting Ballard know who he wanted and he expected him to do everything to go get him.

Regardless which, now Ballard has to start making maneuvers to regain some kind of leverage in negotiations with the Bears.  Hyping up the 4th pick.  Making the statement that all the QB’s are similar.  Talking about the option of trading back.  It’s all smokescreen. Barring somebody doing something dumb and offering up 4-5 first round picks, the Colts will be moving up to #1.  Once that’s done, the real debate and discussions about who the QB pick should be will really intensify and should be fun.  But I think it’s already been written.  If we get to #1, we’re drafting Bryce Young.  Stroud, Richardson, & Levis are fallback contingency plans if we can’t get to #1.

12 hours ago, philba101 said:

They got pro days to do that so I'm not worried about it. 

Im sure Steichen could create some kind of Cam Newton, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson type offense for Richardson and if thats what he wants to do fine. However i just think getting him goes completely against a few statements that he said about offense and what they look for in a QB.  Very first word out of Steich and Ballards mouths was "He Must Be Accurate". Second words were " He must make good decisions". Third words were i believe "Mobility/Ability to extend a play. Another key statement by Ballard was " We go off the tape much more than the combine".

Looking at the tape its very easy to see Richardson only has 1 of the 3 required criterias. Again he says hes a self professed modern day Cam Newton in his body build and play style.  People want to fix this guy bc they think Steich is some kind of QB wizard. I cringe on that idea bc i know as a passer Cam Newton never got fixed in his entire 10 year career. I made the example to show that fixing is not as simple as you think. Not only that but it concerns me that the HC says "Throw To Score" "Run to Win". This means thats the offensive identity he wants us to have.  So then I dont understand why you would draft a guy who pretty much violates everything you said you wanted? He isnt accurate, Decisions arent great, and thirdly the GM said you guys go off the tape to decide. Ok so where on the tape did you see accuracy and great decision making? Which games did he win almost exclusively by passing and using his brain to find holes in pass coverage? I might not even have a huge issue with Richardson if Steich  just stuck with. the intent of wanting to Tailor an offense around the QB Strengths. But thats not entirely what he and Ballard said. These are the questions the media is going to come with at some point i assure you.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fans see what a player IS.   Scouts try to see what a player CAN BECOME.   And those are entirely different.  

So I rarely understand fans who claim they know just how good or bad young quarterbacks are.   Justin Fields?   Mac Jones?   Daniel Jones?   Tua?   Jordan Love?   Trey Lance?    Plenty of examples.  But many fans here insist THEY KNOW.   They’ve SEEN ENOUGH.   

It’s the hardest position to judge in sports. More decisions are wrong than are right.   More information is always better.  

MLB caliber hitters are the most difficult to judge IMO, but QBs are the closest thing in football.

Also I ask when has Jim Bob Cooter ever dealt with a Cam Newton? His experiences are Matthew Stafford, Trevor, Lawrence, Peyton Manning. QBs who can throw to score. And most of Steichen experience is this as well. I just dont think you bring a Jim Bob Cooter in if you want to run a Cam Newton type offense. Most of his work has been with young throwing QBs who were known for this coming out of college.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Absolutely true to a T.

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

When I start piecing all the clues together I keep coming back to the fact that the Colts are planning on moving up to #1 but Ballard is making shrewd GM maneuvers in the hopes of bringing down Chicago’s asking price.  The clues that have led me to this conclusion are Rick Venturi’s interview on JMV and Irsay’s statement about “the guy in Alabama”.  I think the two are connected.  I highly doubt Irsay is breaking down a lot of college football tape.  But Venturi does and said he and Gruden spent weeks breaking down tape of the top prospects.  I believe Irsay highly values Rick’s opinion. 

Spin it forward, Venturi flat out says on JMV that the only move the Colts should make is moving to #1 and getting their guy.  And that guy is Bryce Young.  He views him as head and shoulders (pun intended) above all the other QB prospects.  I imagine he told Irsay his same evaluation. Irsay being Irsay just couldn’t help himself and made the public statement at Shane’s hiring.  Maybe Jim just couldn’t help himself or maybe he was flat out letting Ballard know who he wanted and he expected him to do everything to go get him.

Regardless which, now Ballard has to start making maneuvers to regain some kind of leverage in negotiations with the Bears.  Hyping up the 4th pick.  Making the statement that all the QB’s are similar.  Talking about the option of trading back.  It’s all smokescreen. Barring somebody doing something dumb and offering up 4-5 first round picks, the Colts will be moving up to #1.  Once that’s done, the real debate and discussions about who the QB pick should be will really intensify and should be fun.  But I think it’s already been written.  If we get to #1, we’re drafting Bryce Young.  Stroud, Richardson, & Levis are fallback contingency plans if we can’t get to #1.

Interesting. Zac Keefer just released an article this morning saying that Ballard has strict physical prototypes for players that he drafts and he rarely deviates from them. He pegged Richardson and Levis as too risky to move up to #1 for, and Young as too small physically. In his eyes that left only Stroud who the Colts will have to be at number #1 to guarantee that they are able to select him.

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-colts-jaguars-titans-105/

Archived