Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I live to be 100 I will not understand the thinking of hiring a good offensive mind with a track record of success as a play caller and then wanting him to have his OC be the one who calls the plays.   

People here are so fixed on Fran Reich that they fear history repeating itself.   Look at the rest of the league… 

Andy Reid, calls the plays. 
Sean McVay, calls the plays. 
Kyle Shannahan, calls the plays.

Green Bay HC: calls the plays. 
Cincy HC, calls the plays. 
Doug Pederson, calls the plays.

Miami HC, calls the plays 

Brian Daboll, calls the plays.

How many examples do you need?

And all because you didn’t like Frank as the play caller.   Just because it didn’t work for one guy doesn’t mean it doesn’t work elsewhere as this post demonstrates. 

Thing with Reich is he didn’t call plays at Philly. Sirianni didn’t call plays here but he was wise enough to hand off play calling and look how much better the eagles did with Shane taking over play calling. I’m all on board with Shane.

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

Thing with Reich is he didn’t call plays at Philly. Sirianni didn’t call plays here but he was wise enough to hand off play calling and look how much better the eagles did with Shane taking over play calling. I’m all on board with Shane.

Yep... we actually have evidence that Steichen can do well as a playcaller. You can always adjust and give up playing if you think you are getting overwhelmed with the matchday management of the team, but I definitely would want Steichen to call the plays to begin... 

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t get Hyatt. 

If we’re going to draft another WR it better be a guy who brings something we don’t have already. We have guys who can take off down the side line already. We need a twitchy type who can get YACs. 

We have yard after catch guys we need a tyreek hill ty hilton like deep threat. Plus hyatt can get yards after the catch

38 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Reid admitted that Bienemy called the plays starting sometime during this season. 

I think Reid admitted EB called some of the plays.  And if you watched the game last night, almost all the sideline shots were of Reid with his play calling charts, and very few of Bienemy.   I think the people in production know, they meet with the coaches. 

Today, there’s a story out where Reid says if EB gets a job elsewhere, he hopes Bienemy gets to run the show.   Which I took to mean call the plays.   But no where in the story did Reid say that EB called the plays this year, or that EB even called the plays last night.  Nothing about that.  

And I’d add this….  This week, when stories surfaced wondering if Reid would retire if the Chiefs won, all the talk was about Matt Nagy replacing him, not Eric Bienemy.   I thought that was telling. 

I hope EB gets a chance to be a HC someday, but his story remains very murky to me. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And I’d add this….  This week, when stories surfaced wondering if Reid would retire if the Chiefs won, all the talk was about Matt Nagy replacing him, not Eric Bienemy.   I thought that was telling. 

I hope EB gets a chance to be a HC someday, but his story remains very murky to me. 

I saw that in a few stories also, but it was with the understanding that EB is leaving the Chiefs this season, probably to be an OC for a team with the defensive minded HC (likely Washington). 

2 hours ago, #12. said:

I don't see the Richardson thing at all.  You take the best QB available and go from there.  

All your saying is from what YOU KNOW (CHUCKLE) Richardson can't be projected as the best QB 3 seasons from now. Yawn!
 And you are that deep into your workouts and interviews to have made up your mind? Hmmmm!   :yahoo:

If he has the IQ, he is the clear choice.  See how easy that was!

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

All your saying is from what YOU KNOW (CHUCKLE) Richardson can't be projected as the best QB 3 seasons from now. Yawn!
 And you are that deep into your workouts and interviews to have made up your mind? Hmmmm!   :yahoo:

If he has the IQ, he is the clear choice.  See how easy that was!

This is word salad.    You’re entitled to whatever opinion you want.   But they typically are a mystery to me and others.   

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We probably will get official word tomorrow. I hope we get a cool video from the plane or walking the facility also after it’s official.

The media spends at least a day programming the post SB discussions.  In this case, the expected Mahomes love fest.

Irsay does not want The Shoe to have its news buried.  The announcement will come when the Colts can get the proper amount of exposure.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Is your QB going to be your best player on O or the RB?  If you extend JT as if he is Derrick Henry, there is no reason to pick a QB at 4.  JMO.  (Maybe if you're going for that SB window and the rook balls out in year 3)

We'll see how Ballard plays it.  My guess is that Steichen understands that trade off better than Ballard.

The qb will be in a rookie deal so u can  extend Taylor and u need a rb to protect the young qb

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really, you probably should not live in such a protected environment. 

Nobody ever says stuff like this anymore....

But with all you've heard about EB, if somebody in the know just flat out said....compared to other candidates, EB simply has the IQ of a fence-post....would that help clear things up?

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree with that, but that's not what Philly's O looked like, and that seems to be the comparison or expectation.

Based on what? This forum? Because that is the ONLY place that has discussed or mentioned anything about what the offense may or may not look like under this guy.

I hope the Steichen hiring means the Colts can hold still at #4.  I trust their scouting department to make the correct decision.  With Steichen's history of working with Rivers, Herbert, and Hurts I feel confident that he can adapt his offense to whatever QB he has on the roster.  I would very much like the Colts to have the #35 pick  at their disposal on draft day.  There will be NFL ready WR's, CB's, and OL sitting there to be picked.  The draft is very deep at CB.  I think the Colts could get a CB in the 3rd rd.  

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Based on what? This forum? Because that is the ONLY place that has discussed or mentioned anything about what the offense may or may not look like under this guy.

Yeah, this forum.  That's where its being discussed.  I'm discussing forum stuff on this forum.  What else would I be discussing here?

I'm not following.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Really, you probably should not live in such a protected environment. 

Nobody ever says stuff like this anymore....

But with all you've heard about EB, if somebody in the know just flat out said....compared to other candidates, EB simply has the IQ of a fence-post....would that help clear things up?

You have the IQ of a fence-post.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, this forum.  That's where its being discussed.  I'm discussing forum stuff on this forum.  What else would I be discussing here?

I'm not following.

My point is, we have no idea what this offense will look like or what Steichen wants it to look like. At least at this stage. So speaking to absolutes when there currently are none isn’t accurate. 

all we have are theories, and I think it’s wise to point that out

On 2/12/2023 at 5:41 PM, Btown_Colt said:

I’m pretty sure Alabama has nutritionist for their athletes (I’m being nice, they do).

He played at the NFL training center for future NFL players. If the dude could put on 15 LBS, he would have already. 

I totally understand hoping he can, just seems like the wrong hand to go all in on.

The best QB in the draft is the wrong hand to go all in on???

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think it also depends kn thr typ of qb they draft. If they went Richardson  then having Taylor would be over kill

Maybe.  I like @Nickster's idea.  Our QB can be the outside runner since JT is primarily an inside runner.  Run the actual Read-Option, like Kaep used to, not just an RPO. 

Richardson might do well in that capacity, but that's more of a Raven offense than a Philly offense.   Can we return to having a powerful run blocking oline, that would help.

But we just don't see many SB teams have a feature RB as a main focus of the O anymore.

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My point is, we have no idea what this offense will look like or what Steichen wants it to look like. At least at this stage. So speaking to absolutes when there currently are none isn’t accurate. 

all we have are theories, and I think it’s wise to point that out

Agreed.  I'll just say; we have JT, TE's that don't catch well, and WRs that lack wiggle despite what routes they run.  Those are absolutes that Steichen will be facing, and those things are the opposite of what he coached in Philly.  But who knows what he does with those. 

The QB will be a big part of what the O looks like no doubt. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What would you guys think if Steichen brought Philip Rivers in as QB coach. They are very close. On the horseshoe huddle tonight they said rivers is being considered for QB coach. Wow if that happened.

Would be interesting 

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Take best player at  number 4. I actually  want a DE or LT if they decide Rainmann is not the answer. I think about a sneak up in  the back end of the 1st. The hiring of   Striechen   I think tells me  one thing. I don't believe at all Young or Stroud are his targets. Levi may as he is athletic but I have a sneaking  suspicion that they could go  get a guy like Richardson in the bottom of the 1st or 2nd.

If Steichen can’t see how special Young is then we hired the wrong coach. 

Archived