Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Interview Updates Only (Non-Discussion Thread)

chad72

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was reading something the other day. beineimy two main functions is game film review and personnel rotation during the game. I’ll see if I can find it. Basically, he’s an on field statistical analyst and player manager

So I just did a Google search about Reid giving up play calling.   And I got a flood of stories from 2017 when Reid had Matt Nagy call plays. 

So I changed the search to does Eric Bienemy call plays for Chiefs.  And that got hits from this year and last saying he does.  Including a tweet from Reid saying Bienemy does call plays for the Chiefs.  And stories from Bienemy saying he does call plays and that people were making too much of the issue. 

But the stores weren’t clear.  Does Bienemy call ALL the plays or just some plays from time to time?   Some Bienemy quotes seemed like it was a collaborative effort with both men calling plays.  

So I’m still not sure… 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

11 candidates so far.  Anyone know how many we interviewed on the first go around in 2018.

IIRC there were these guys in the first round when they offered the job to Josh McDaniels:

• Josh McDaniels
  • Mike Vrabel
  • Matt Rhule
  • Kris Rishard
  • Matt Naggy

Then there were these 3 after McDaniels backed out:

• Frank Reich
  • Dan Campbell
  • Leslie Frazier 

3 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

IIRC there were these guys in the first round when they offered the job to Josh McDaniels:

• Josh McDaniels
  • Mike Vrabel
  • Matt Rhule
  • Kris Rishard
  • Matt Naggy

Then there were these 3 after McDaniels backed out:

• Frank Reich
  • Dan Campbell
  • Leslie Frazier 

Thank you for doing the research.  I appreciate it.  11 candidates now versus 5 originals last time.  Casting a big net this go around.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So I just did a Google search about Reid giving up play calling.   And I got a flood of stories from 2017 when Reid had Matt Nagy call plays. 

So I changed the search to does Eric Bienemy call plays for Chiefs.  And that got hits from this year and last saying he does.  Including a tweet from Reid saying Bienemy does call plays for the Chiefs.  And stories from Bienemy saying he does call plays and that people were making too much of the issue. 

But the stores weren’t clear.  Does Bienemy call ALL the plays or just some plays from time to time?   Some Bienemy quotes seemed like it was a collaborative effort with both men calling plays.  

So I’m still not sure… 

So who is wearing the headset that communicates with Mahomes?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly?   I have no idea. 

But it sounds like both Bienemy and Reid call plays.   It may depend on the given circumstance.   But that’s just speculation in my part.  

I think that may be the problem with Eric not getting jobs? No one knows or gives straight answers. 

Not a smart move by Ben Johnson.  The Lions finally had a winning season.  Strike while the iron is hot.  

He's a hot name now, but things change pretty quickly in the NFL.  If the Lions turn back into the Lions, he may have missed his best opportunity.

51 minutes ago, #12. said:

Not a smart move by Ben Johnson.  The Lions finally had a winning season.  Strike while the iron is hot.  

He's a hot name now, but things change pretty quickly in the NFL.  If the Lions turn back into the Lions, he may have missed his best opportunity.

Maybe he thought he wasn't ready? Maybe he didn't want to uproot his family? I'm sure he had his reasons. 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:52 AM, Superman said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/indianapolis-colts-head-coach-search-tracker-interviews-candidates-requests-2023/

The list of requested interviews so far:

Shane Steichen -- Eagles OC (interviewed 1/14)

Ben Johnson -- Lions OC (removed from consideration)

Aaron Glenn -- Lions DC (interviewed 1/14)

Raheem Morris -- Rams DC (interviewed 1/13)

Ejiro Evero -- Broncos DC (interviewed 1/12)

Bubba Ventrone -- Colts STC (interviewed 1/11)

Jeff Saturday -- Colts interim HC (pending)

Eric Bieniemy -- Chiefs OC (interviewed 1/12)

DeMeco Ryans -- Niners DC 

Mike Kafka -- Giants OC (reportedly not taking interviews)

Don "Wink" Martindale -- Giants DC (reportedly not taking interviews)

I'll try to keep this list updated.

Updated list. Is anyone missing?

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Anyone want to predict how long this will take? When they will announce the new head coach?

Today is the first day teams can even interview candidates who are with other teams. All of the Colts candidates so far are with other teams. No one has made a hire yet. I'm thinking the Colts' search goes at least another week, maybe into next month. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Anyone want to predict how long this will take? When they will announce the new head coach?

It will take some time. Depends on when our candidates finish with the season and are able to take interviews. For example, the NYG assistants both refused to be interviewed this week so they can pay full attention to their playoff game. I can't imagine them taking the interview next week if they advance. Then we will need to do in person interviews with the candidates that we don't eliminate from consideration after the first round of interviews. 

My guess would be first week of February. Just for comparison - we hired Frank Reich on February 11 and this was after we announced the hiring of McDaniels on February 6th and pretty much immediately he left us at the altar. 

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I wonder, is it possible that some OCs & DCs might not actually aspire to be a HC, that just maybe they are very happy to stay in their wheelhouse

If that's the case and Johnson is not ready, he certainly did you(and other teams) a favor.

I think the most likely scenario is that Johnson has only been an OC for one year.

Another successful season only makes him a more attractive candidate.  

And perhaps he was not happy with his HC options?   Maybe he didn’t like the owners or rosters, or the divisions that were his options?   Perhaps a year from now his options will be better? 

I wish him well….

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the most likely scenario is that Johnson has only been an OC for one year.

Another successful season only makes him a more attractive candidate.  

And perhaps he was not happy with his HC options?   Maybe he didn’t like the owners or rosters, or the divisions that were his options?   Perhaps a year from now his options will be better? 

I wish him well….

It could also be that he was getting rather low salary offers based on his lower experience. Another year and IF the lions continue to develop under him will double his salary offers I bet. So I think he’s more betting on himself than it is anything else

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It could also be that he was getting rather low salary offers based on his lower experience. Another year and IF the lions continue to develop under him will double his salary offers I bet. So I think he’s more betting on himself than it is anything else

I think in the first round of interviews salaries are not talked about.    I think they only come up when you’re among the finalists.   And even then,  not until later in those discussions.  Johnson never got that far. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think in the first round of interviews salaries are not talked about.    I think they only come up when you’re among the finalists.   And even then,  not until later in those discussions.  Johnson never got that far. 

But who really knows? There's never a lot of information about how coaching salaries get negotiated, etc. I wish we'd get more details.

Johnson's decision to withdraw at this point could be based on any number of factors. I think examining his decision for clues is a bit much.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Never know. I doubt the NFL is any different than any other job. Every interview I’ve ever had, salary is always brought up in the first interview. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

But who really knows? There's never a lot of information about how coaching salaries get negotiated, etc. I wish we'd get more details.

Johnson's decision to withdraw at this point could be based on any number of factors. I think examining his decision for clues is a bit much.

Agreed. Now on to the next

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I’m just sharing what I’ve always read.

And there’s now a great read about the whole interview process.   It’s written by Bill Polian.   He’s now working for a great new website that I found.   It’s called……

the33rdteam.com

The Polian article should be on the main page.   I think the website is very good.  Hope you’ll take a look. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

A lot of times, these new OCs are also gathering information for the future to see what GMs are expecting w.r.t what offensive and defensive coaches they bring along or if they have to adhere to GM preferences, what kind of input the HC will have on roster construction outside drafting talent etc. 

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So I am wrong about Nelson and Leonsrd. Do u think the Colts would cut  them both tomorrow if they had no cap hit?  Do u think Harbaugh  used the NFL  as leverage?  I never thought he was  going to the NFL as the teams that needed  a coach are not that appealing. I don't believe I said Irsay relapsed. He is an recovering   addict and as such  has many faults as a person and I wouldn't trust him as far as I  could  throw him

No they wouldn't cut them?   Multiple all pros for each.  Why would they cut them?

No Harbaugh didn't use the NFL for leverage.  He didn't need to.   Michigan is going to pay him regardless.   He took a voluntary pay cut last year.   Money isn't his motivation. 

You got a forum vacation for claiming Irsay is currently using drugs.

All wrong.   As usual

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And there’s now a great read about the whole interview process.   It’s written by Bill Polian.   He’s now working for a great new website that I found.   It’s called……

the33rdteam.com

The Polian article should be on the main page.   I think the website is very good.  Hope you’ll take a look. 

There's some good insight from Polian in some of those articles. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding coaching salaries, I think some of these candidates clearly have the leverage to tell teams what kind of salary they're looking for before spending any time in an interview. Sean Payton, for instance, can tell his agent 'here's the number, make sure their willing to consider this before we schedule any interviews.' No doubt there will be negotiations, but there no point in wasting anyone's time if a team only wants to pay an entry-level salary.

I don't know how that affects someone like Ben Johnson, but I would assume there's a ballpark that everyone is aware of from the start. I doubt that Johnson's decision to withdraw has anything to do with money, though.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's some good insight from Polian in some of those articles. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding coaching salaries, I think some of these candidates clearly have the leverage to tell teams what kind of salary they're looking for before spending any time in an interview. Sean Payton, for instance, can tell his agent 'here's the number, make sure their willing to consider this before we schedule any interviews.' No doubt there will be negotiations, but there no point in wasting anyone's time if a team only wants to pay an entry-level salary.

I don't know how that affects someone like Ben Johnson, but I would assume there's a ballpark that everyone is aware of from the start. I doubt that Johnson's decision to withdraw has anything to do with money, though.

Any new coach has to understand a baseline that is more than likely established. Teams might bid over the same guy but it might only increase slightly. I could see 6 mil per year as a typical baseline for HC. 

Campbell has built an amazing culture that Detroit hasn’t had in a long time. Coaches want to stay there and players are taking pay cuts to stay as well. You have people wanting to stay and continue his process. I hope we get that!

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

the33rdteam.com

Great articles.  Both of them.  Thanks for pointing to them.

Archived