Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Interview Updates Only (Non-Discussion Thread)

chad72

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

I appreciate that they are casting a wide net in this search. 

Or Ballard is clueless. Any competent GM surely has a list of a handful of best options in his desk drawer. But this smells like an Irsay show to me.

5 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Nine interviews and counting. What a farce.

Ballard should resign now. Either he is so clueless that he had no list of the best candidates to work from or this is all a show directed by Irsay.

This amazes me.  Interviewing multiple people is a bad thing?  The last go around I think we only interviewed like 5 or something.  This time he's said that they were too focused/narrow last time and now they want to interview everyone they can to make sure they don't miss someone who may not be on everyone's lists.  If we start missing out on our top names because we're taking too long, I'd understand the frustration.  Or if they all got 2nd interviews... however, this is just preliminary feeler interviews to gauge interest and field ideas.  I see nothing wrong with it.

I'm fine with whoever is head coach. I still want Saturday but only 1 year contract. I don't think we are as far off as a team. I want the change to be with how Ballard drafts. Quality over quantity instead of quantity over quality. 

Let me have it.

39 minutes ago, Matabix said:

I'm fine with whoever is head coach. I still want Saturday but only 1 year contract. I don't think we are as far off as a team. I want the change to be with how Ballard drafts. Quality over quantity instead of quantity over quality. 

Let me have it.

Saturday 1year? That's being lame duck status. Hopefully one of the other candidates will be considered as so many  Be interesting to see who gets considered.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Bisaccia was interim with the Raiders and did very well, made the playoffs.  Saturday was interim with the Colts and did horribly.  If you're looking to hire an interim, Bisaccia is the better choice.

Yes.last year, when Bisaccia was interim head coach... the Raiders actually made the playoffs under him. 

I read where the only other time this ever happened was when Bruce Arians was interim coach for Indianapolis.

Here is an interesting point from Kevin Bowen:

https://1075thefan.com/88251/updated-colts-head-coaching-candidate-list/

-Rich Bisaccia (Age: 62, Packers special teams coordinator): The now oldest candidate on the Colts growing list might fit as one of the more surprising names so far. Long-time special teams coach Rich Bisaccia has coached in the league for two decades, with some connections to the Colts. Those would include being with the Raiders last year, taking over as the interim head coach and leading them to the playoffs with a 7-5 finish to the year after taking over for Jon Gruden. On that Raiders staff included Gus Bradley (Colts defensive coordinator), Richard Smith (Colts linebackers coach), Ron Milus (Colts secondary coach). Rod Marinelli, one of Chris Ballard’s close confidants in the NFL, was on the same Cowboys staff with Bisaccia, so there’s a connection with a respected relationship. Ironically, part of Bisaccia’s background includes being the assistant head coach to Raheem Morris in 2009 with Tampa Bay. One thing to keep in mind with some of these interviews, the Colts will be trying to build an entire coaching staff in gathering intel with more than a dozen interviews, so some of these names could factor in there.

11 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yes.last year, when Bisaccia was interim head coach... the Raiders actually made the playoffs under him. 

I read where the only other time this ever happened was when Bruce Arians was interim coach for Indianapolis.

Here is an interesting point from Kevin Bowen:

https://1075thefan.com/88251/updated-colts-head-coaching-candidate-list/

-Rich Bisaccia (Age: 62, Packers special teams coordinator): The now oldest candidate on the Colts growing list might fit as one of the more surprising names so far. Long-time special teams coach Rich Bisaccia has coached in the league for two decades, with some connections to the Colts. Those would include being with the Raiders last year, taking over as the interim head coach and leading them to the playoffs with a 7-5 finish to the year after taking over for Jon Gruden. On that Raiders staff included Gus Bradley (Colts defensive coordinator), Richard Smith (Colts linebackers coach), Ron Milus (Colts secondary coach). Rod Marinelli, one of Chris Ballard’s close confidants in the NFL, was on the same Cowboys staff with Bisaccia, so there’s a connection with a respected relationship. Ironically, part of Bisaccia’s background includes being the assistant head coach to Raheem Morris in 2009 with Tampa Bay. One thing to keep in mind with some of these interviews, the Colts will be trying to build an entire coaching staff in gathering intel with more than a dozen interviews, so some of these names could factor in there.

That’s some good info right their won’t Morris.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some of these interviews could escalate fast after a couple of these teams are eliminated. The bengals and giants OC is very intriguing if those two teams lose.

I like them both as well. I still see Morris getting the nod though. 

I’m not sure how good of a coach Callahan is because I really don’t know anything about what type of person he is or his style but I do know I’ve seen several Bengals games this year and I love the offense they run. Almost always balanced and obviously they’re a very talented offense but those guys are always open and they actually use the TE position some.

2 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

I’m not sure how good of a coach Callahan is because I really don’t know anything about what type of person he is or his style but I do know I’ve seen several Bengals games this year and I love the offense they run. Almost always balanced and obviously they’re a very talented offense but those guys are always open and they actually use the TE position some.

My question is he a more suited OC than a HC? 

The duties are quite different than a HC. 

I guess I just don't have a clue. Ballard is bringing in so many and the opinions are all over the place. :dunno:

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wonder if they’re interviewing Callahan for a lateral position to be QB coach/OC like Titans did with Matt LaFleur because both didn’t call plays and Zac Taylor/Sean McVay did???

LaFleur wanted to call plays and was fine taking the lateral position to set himself for a HC position later. This is also the issue we were talking about, OCs being poached unless the play caller is also HC.

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wonder if they’re interviewing Callahan for a lateral position to be QB coach/OC like Titans did with Matt LaFleur because both didn’t call plays and Zac Taylor/Sean McVay did???

LaFleur wanted to call plays and was fine taking the lateral position to set himself for a HC position later. This is also the issue we were talking about, OCs being poached unless the play caller is also HC.

Why would Callahan want to leave as OC for Colts? Bengals offense is great; not ours.

4 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Why would Callahan want to leave as OC for Colts? Bengals offense is great; not ours.

He says Callahan doesn't get to call plays in Bengals, because their HC does. 

Callahan can prove his ability to design an offense and call plays only if he moves on to another team so that he'd get HC chances sooner in his career. That's assuming that Bengals wouldn't give him an opportunity to call plays in near future. 

58 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I doubt bengals would allow that and would of blocked it.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I doubt bengals would allow that and would of blocked it.

Maybe, they're interviewing so many coaches so that if their hire doesn't work out this coming season, they can quickly move on and catch up next off-season on the next best candidates they've talked to recently. 

Maybe, if they're gonna give it to Saturday this coming year, and it tanks next season too, they've information upfront from 15 other head coaching candidates they can go to next off-season. 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:52 AM, Superman said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/indianapolis-colts-head-coach-search-tracker-interviews-candidates-requests-2023/

The list of requested interviews so far:

Shane Steichen -- Eagles OC (interviewed 1/14)

Ben Johnson -- Lions OC (removed from consideration)

Aaron Glenn -- Lions DC (interviewed 1/14)

Raheem Morris -- Rams DC (interviewed 1/13)

Ejiro Evero -- Broncos DC (interviewed 1/12)

Bubba Ventrone -- Colts STC (interviewed 1/11)

Jeff Saturday -- Colts interim HC (interviewed 1/19)

Eric Bieniemy -- Chiefs OC (interviewed 1/12)

DeMeco Ryans -- Niners DC (pending)

Mike Kafka -- Giants OC (interviewing 1/22)

Don "Wink" Martindale -- Giants DC (interviewing 1/22)

Brian Callahan -- Bengals OC (interviewed 1/20)

Rich Bisaccia -- Packers STC (interviewed 1/20)

Dan Quinn -- Cowboys DC (interviewed 1/20)

I'll try to keep this list updated.

Is anybody missing?

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The only one I am sure of that will be is Raheim Morris. He is the only one we got leaked info on how his there was mutual interest.

Yes. I agree. But how strange that it was leaked? and by whom?

If the Colts really are wanting Morris? Then why leak it? Would think they'd want that kept quiet with all the other teams in competition?

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jeff has no business being on there.

The only one I am sure of that will be is Raheim Morris. He is the only one we got leaked info on how his there was mutual interest.

That was interesting to have that put out there. Only such one so far.

16 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yes. I agree. But how strange that it was leaked? and by whom?

If the Colts really are wanting Morris? Then why leak it? Would think they'd want that kept quiet with all the other teams in competition?

Seemed like a one-sided leak, IMO. Which makes the "interest" seem one-sided as well...

But philosophically, Morris seems to line up with Ballard. so it's not a crazy idea.

Archived