Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Q Talks About His Offseason Plans

Hark

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

"I'm switching up my approach a lot".

Right.  What I thought.  It wasn't the back.  Not the scheme.  It's him, and how he approaches his job.  He acknowledges he has to do some things differently.

I wonder if board members are going to criticize Nelson's admission of poor play and call him names because as many here know Nelson is beyond criticism and people are just complaining if they think otherwise.

Nelson you are just a sky is falling type of guy.  You were actually awesome this year. 

I don't know what you saw but i saw Q get beat off the snap and to not be able to recover as in the past, and i saw bull rushes too often over power him.

I'm betting on physical issues. Like Kelly (elbow issue), neither could train in the off season like they have in the past?

Kelly has been trending down physically over the last 2-3 years. It will certainly be interesting to see if mngmt. wants him back.

Q is gonna have to get his body right this off season. lol 

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't know what you saw but i saw Q get beat off the snap and to not be able to recover as in the past, and i saw bull rushes too often over power him.

I'm betting on physical issues. Like Kelly (elbow issue), neither could train in the off season like they have in the past?

Kelly has been trending down physically over the last 2-3 years. It will certainly be interesting to see if mngmt. wants him back.

Q is gonna have to get his body right this off season. lol 

He looked fatter than usual too.  He was always a bit of a sloppy looking dude, but he looks unathletic right now to me.  This could be projection on my part cause he just isn't very good.

So far an absolute disaster of a contract.

Got Paid - played soft and had soft coaching. The last coach who held the OL accountable was fired by Reich.

The Nelson of a couple of years ago would have not allowed an opposing player to do snow angels next to his QB who laying on the ground injured. Also -it seems there is something not right in that locker room with this offense.

I hope he can evaluate this year and figure out what's bothering him. He used to be in every play, running down the field to immediately help his teammates up and offer support. This year I rarely saw that team player kind of mentality. From my standpoint it looked like he was simply going through the motions. He needs to ask himself if he wants to be with this team next season or not. 

Let’s hope he has a better off-season plan than Leonard which is probably to retire.

The regression if the entire o-line was wild this year. Had to have been a mixture of many things but their mentality was poor. They seemed to play with no heart.

15 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Let’s hope he has a better off-season plan than Leonard which is probably to retire.

The regression if the entire o-line was wild this year. Had to have been a mixture of many things but their mentality was poor. They seemed to play with no heart.

I made  a lot of  comments about maybe Nelson , Smith and Kelly were all on the same party bus. Reading between the lines it sounds like Nelson wasn't all in this year. Time to dump.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

He looked fatter than usual too.  He was always a bit of a sloppy looking dude, but he looks unathletic right now to me.  This could be projection on my part cause he just isn't very good.

So far an absolute disaster of a contract.

He seemed like the natural fat kid who was freakishly athletic.  Chris Farley, LOL.   Got there by nature's gift, not by work.  He might have to figure it out now.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Right.  What I thought.  It wasn't the back.  Not the scheme.  It's him, and how he approaches his job.  He acknowledges he has to do some things differently.

What a stretch. Saying he sees a need to adjust his approach doesn't mean he wasn't putting in work before. It also doesn't eliminate the possibility of a physical issue, or the possibility that any other factors could have affected his play this season.

What's true is that he needs to be better in a lot of ways next season. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

What a stretch. Saying he sees a need to adjust his approach doesn't mean he wasn't putting in work before. It also doesn't eliminate the possibility of a physical issue, or the possibility that any other factors could have affected his play this season.

I’m pretty certain it was an injury that was impacting his performance. Nelson didn’t suddenly lose his mojo; he’s wired differently than that. I suspect he means he will adjust his routine with the goal of returning to his former level of performance…. Whether that is hitting the weight room; getting more flexible; surgery….. all of the above? 

13 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I’m pretty certain it was an injury that was impacting his performance. Nelson didn’t suddenly lose his mojo; he’s wired differently than that. I suspect he means he will adjust his routine with the goal of returning to his former level of performance…. Whether that is hitting the weight room; getting more flexible; surgery….. all of the above? 

The idea that he got lazy or wasn't dedicated to his craft doesn't work for me. I think having to spend a lot of time rehabbing and doing PT, rather than focusing specifically on technique and so on, is probably the main difference. 

Either way, some people have it in their head that Nelson stopped caring, or got soft. And the simpler explanation is just that sometimes players have a rough stretch, even great players. Sometimes they never regain their top level form, other times the rough stretch is a temporary setback. It doesn't require a theory at all.

10 minutes ago, boogmanningluck said:

Don't know if anyone else has thought about this but the offensive line play has been horrible since we canned previous oline coach for being mean to the candy * players lol

Oh I have. I’ve been jumping up and down on that topic since it happened. Someone always posts “that’s not how to handle players these days, gotta be nice and sympathetic to their needs” or some other similar bologna. Bottom line is this, they fired a coach who was working out very well results wise, over something petty as a butthurt player who no longer is even with the team

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh I have. I’ve been jumping up and down on that topic since it happened. Someone always posts “that’s not how to handle players these days, gotta be nice and sympathetic to their needs” or some other similar bologna. Bottom line is this, they fired a coach who was working out very well results wise, over something petty as a butthurt player who no longer is even with the team

Hope the new coach tries to bring him back - he is at Boston College. Nelson in particular was vocal about his respect for DeGuglielmo after he was shown the door.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Okay, this can be our disagreement for today.

I don't think DeGuglielmo was fired only because of the way he handled Denzelle Good. I'm sure it didn't help, but that's an oversimplification. I also don't think a coach has to be a jerk to be good at his job. And I'm not sure that Chris Strausser is even a "nice guy," the little we've seen from him looks like he can antagonize and get after his players just like anyone else, just without being completely insensitive to the fact that the player is grieving over the death of a loved one.

I'd also point out that DeGuglielmo seems to be a short term guy everywhere he goes. Maybe no one likes him? He's been with the Dolphins three different times, twice being let go after one year by the same guy who hired him. Maybe he's just a disagreeable person that no one likes working with. 

One other thing, the OL was just as good in 2019 and 2020 as it was with DeGuglielmo in 2018. So I don't think he was the missing link. If he was, the shortcomings would have hit right away, not two full seasons later. 

I don't necessarily disagree that DeGuglielmo is a better OL coach than Strausser. But I don't think him "apparently" being a jerk is the relevant factor. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I think you are stretching what I said.  I repeated what I said during the season, we don't know what his work habits are.  Now he acknowledges they were insufficient in some way.

He didn't mention other things.  I'm not going to assume there were other things.   

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm switching up my approach a lot".

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think you are stretching what I said.  I repeated what I said during the season, we don't know what his work habits are.  Now he acknowledges they were insufficient in some way.

He didn't mention other things.  I'm not going to assume there were other things.   

You recently posted in another thread that we don't hear about how hard Nelson works, in various areas. That it's an assumption that he's a hard worker. 

Then you say in this thread "What I thought.  ...  It's him, and how he approaches his job."

Are you saying it's a stretch to connect those two comments that you made? Or that it's a stretch to see this as an insinuation that maybe Nelson isn't a hard worker?

What he said is he's switching his approach in the offseason. I don't see that comment as supporting your viewpoint. We obviously disagree. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

You recently posted in another thread that we don't hear about how hard Nelson works, in various areas. That it's an assumption that he's a hard worker. 

Then you say in this thread "What I thought.  ...  It's him, and how he approaches his job."

Are you saying it's a stretch to connect those two comments that you made? Or that it's a stretch to see this as an insinuation that maybe Nelson isn't a hard worker?

What he said is he's switching his approach in the offseason. I don't see that comment as supporting your viewpoint. We obviously disagree. 

Side bet.  He comes in a little trimmer next year and plays better?  

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It wouldn't surprise me. 

Even if that happens, I'm saying I don't think it means he wasn't previously putting in the work. He could realize that his training needs to be more focused in a different area than it has been in the past, etc. Just as an example... 

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It's easy to see whn u read his comments he didn't come in shape. What else could he be talking about??  Pilatea,  yoga, home work or stretching......please!°. What really angers me about this guy is that he  and his  agent pushed for the biggest contract ever for an Olinemen. He didn't come prepared for the season and he still took that contract. God I was so right bout not signing this  guy. 

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I hope he can evaluate this year and figure out what's bothering him. He used to be in every play, running down the field to immediately help his teammates up and offer support. This year I rarely saw that team player kind of mentality. From my standpoint it looked like he was simply going through the motions. He needs to ask himself if he wants to be with this team next season or not. 

Right. He did just the kind of thing i would expect someone who was less than 100% would do. He had to quit "diving after" every lose ball to help keep his body available for 17 games.

The level he played at for YEARS has a toll. I hope he can come back in a very healthy, physically strong way. 

And a new offenseive philosophy and line coach sounds very appealing.

Archived