Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Chargers at Colts postgame thoughts

OLD FAN MAN

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You may not trust him but he’s the Owner so he’s not going anywhere so you are going to have to learn to live with him or find a new team.

Doesn’t mean I can’t have a opinion and sont trust him. He can go ahead and screw it up but I for one won’t be around much longer if there isn’t signs of improvement.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Doesn’t mean I can’t have a opinion and sont trust him. He can go ahead and screw it up but I for one won’t be around much longer if there isn’t signs of improvement.

that’s called being a fair weather fan and if that’s what you want to be go a head and be it.  You’ll be back the moment they start winning again.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Take nothing away from Freeney or Mathis but frankly other than 2005 Manning didn’t have a defense this well rounded while he was here.  2005 the offense didn’t do its job in the playoffs. 2006 defense played like the 2005 defense in the playoffs and was a big part of why they won it all that year.  In 2007 the defense gave up 38 points and a game winning TD drive to a backup QB and running back.  

If Peyton had a better defense in the playoffs odds are they maybe make a run in 01, 03, 07, 08, (maybe 2009, maybe if Freeney doesn’t get hurt), or 2010.  

This defense is very good.  No they don’t have a Freeney or Mathis but let’s not forget maybe their best player has missed virtually the whole season and outside of a handful of games they are holding other teams to 20 or less, something the Manning defenses didn’t do nearly as often and when they did they won big.  So I stand by my statement give Peyton this defense and they may have had another Super Bowl or two during his time here.  Same goes for Luck.  Give Andrew this defense the year they got to the AFCCG and I think that game in New England may have gone a little different or even the year before when they lost to New England or even the one year they Luck under Reich and company.  

And this defense is doing a outstanding job with a awful offense that puts the defense in bad spots with all the turnovers and 3 and outs!

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s going to happen. Its called apathy. It can happen with any franchise when they keep doing dumb stuff and keep losing.

One bad season doesn’t drive away fan bases.  It’s reactions like this that lead people to calling Colts fans spoiled.  You know how many years the Colts have been out of the playoff race before the last two weeks of the season since 1999?  Five.  There are several teams that haven’t had five playoff games in that time span including the Browns who have some of the most loyal fans in the NFL.  Seasons like this happen.  It stinks to go through them but Colts fans average a year like this roughly once every four to five years or so.  Not many teams can say that.  Some teams have a four to five year run like this, have a playoff year and then another four to five year run like this.  Any Colts fan pre-Manning knows exactly what I am talking about.  Years like this are part of being a fan.  It’s not fun but it’s life in the NFL.  Most fans don’t walk away after one year like this.  Will the Colts attendance drop some until they win again?  Sure.  Is it going to mass exit of Colts fans like you make it sound?  Wouldn’t bet on it.  Hard seasons like this is what makes the great seasons so sweet.  If you don’t want to go through the low points that’s your choice, but my personal opinion is that fans who jump on and off the band wagon don’t enjoy the winning nearly as much and take the losing much harder.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

One bad season doesn’t drive away fan bases.  It’s reactions like this that lead people to calling Colts fans spoiled.  You know how many years the Colts have been out of the playoff race before the last two weeks of the season since 1999?  Five.  There are several teams that haven’t had five playoff games in that time span including the Browns who have some of the most loyal fans in the NFL.  Seasons like this happen.  It stinks to go through them but Colts fans average a year like this roughly once every four to five years or so.  Not many teams can say that.  Some teams have a four to five year run like this, have a playoff year and then another four to five year run like this.  Any Colts fan pre-Manning knows exactly what I am talking about.  Years like this are part of being a fan.  It’s not fun but it’s life in the NFL.  Most fans don’t walk away after one year like this.  Will the Colts attendance drop some until they win again?  Sure.  Is it going to mass exit of Colts fans like you make it sound?  Wouldn’t bet on it.  Hard seasons like this is what makes the great seasons so sweet.  If you don’t want to go through the low points that’s your choice, but my personal opinion is that fans who jump on and off the band wagon don’t enjoy the winning nearly as much and take the losing much harder.

One bad season? We have only made playoffs twice in six years. One playoff win. This team is at a cross roads.  Its seeping into fans. I am not talking ride ir die  fans. Teams will always have fans who live and die with  their teams. That isn’t the majority of fans though. 

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Take nothing away from Freeney or Mathis but frankly other than 2005 Manning didn’t have a defense this well rounded while he was here.  2005 the offense didn’t do its job in the playoffs. 2006 defense played like the 2005 defense in the playoffs and was a big part of why they won it all that year.  In 2007 the defense gave up 38 points and a game winning TD drive to a backup QB and running back.  

If Peyton had a better defense in the playoffs odds are they maybe make a run in 01, 03, 07, 08, (maybe 2009, maybe if Freeney doesn’t get hurt), or 2010.  

This defense is very good.  No they don’t have a Freeney or Mathis but let’s not forget maybe their best player has missed virtually the whole season and outside of a handful of games they are holding other teams to 20 or less, something the Manning defenses didn’t do nearly as often and when they did they won big.  So I stand by my statement give Peyton this defense and they may have had another Super Bowl or two during his time here.  Same goes for Luck.  Give Andrew this defense the year they got to the AFCCG and I think that game in New England may have gone a little different or even the year before when they lost to New England or even the one year they Luck under Reich and company.  

I’m disagreeing strongly. We still give up untimely 3rd downs with a DC that doesn’t adapt well and we don’t have ball hawks that make plays amongst the safety group that typically characterizes playoff success of teams lately.

Bradley has had playoff Ds eaten alive by Brady and the Patriots before and this isn’t the first time he’s had talent on his squads. It might be the first time you have seen interior play and good talent with Bradley as DC.

Ironically, the first year he left the Seahawks after becoming HC of Jaguars in 2013 and the first year he left the Jaguars after being fired before 2017, their Ds went to the SB and AFCCG. Getting to the playoffs and getting a win or two, yes with Peyton and Luck. But winning a SB, so many things need to go right. You’re just a prisoner of the moment.

The other flip side of the equation, Polian had a lot invested on the offensive side of the equation that he couldn’t invest in the likes of a Buckner in all likelihood and very good special teams players too till AV came along. Sorry, agree to disagree because we won’t have the firepower to go against the best of the AFC if Polian hadn’t invested on the offense. Can’t have it all.

You replace a old immobile qb with another one and expect something different? How many qb’s like that are playing well in the nfl of today? If you have the option of a scramble, roll out, or boot leg, it’s so much harder on the defense. Let the kid play, there is nothing to loose. I would rather loose with young players and see what they got, than loose with fossils that we know won’t be part of future. 

Just now, Superman said:

Nick Foles looked totally disinterested in this game. I previously said I don't care who starts the rest of the season. I'm taking that back. Foles should stay on the bench, in street clothes, if he doesn't want to play. 

I just don’t think he is a good player. He looked old and over the hill just like Ryan.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nick Foles looked totally disinterested in this game. I previously said I don't care who starts the rest of the season. I'm taking that back. Foles should stay on the bench, in street clothes, if he doesn't want to play. 

It’s sad. One of the sacks he took he literally stopped moving ducked and surrendered. Zero fight or anything.

This lost felt different than the others. I feel at this point the players have TRULY given up. It’s not even remotely fun to watch this team play. Just going through the motions.  

Just now, husker61 said:

That’s just a excuse! There are young qb’s step in and do a adequate job. It should be easier for a veteran player. Pure nonsense!

It’s not a excuse. If they wanted Nick to succeed the tone to do it was at 3-3-1 and then hurt his shoulder. Not with a couple genes left and no playoffs. The offense was disinterested and they are done.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The part I agree with is where he says at this point in the season and where they were at. It really didn’t give him a fair chance even this team is emotionally done.

I don't agree that the team is emotionally done. The only person who gave that impression, IMO, is Foles. By the end of the game everyone looked cooked, but he looked that way on the first series. 

And now, hearing him say he never expected to play? Because it's Matt's team? I've never heard any backup QB say anything like that. It's always 'I prepare like I'm the starter because my number might be called at any moment, and when it comes I want to be ready.' Apparently he just expected to hold a clipboard all season. So let him hold a clipboard. 

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Campbell is right here.

What is he right about? We have to tip our cap for a player being able to.... Checks notes ... get out of the tunnel? And "never expecting to play" even though he's paid as a backup QB and has had a full week after the coach announced he will be starting?

To me this is kind of a weird statement. I get that Parris doesn't want to throw his QB under the bus, but... Yeah, this makes no sense.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

This team is just awful on offense.  The line can’t block, the receivers can’t get open, the QBs can’t get them the ball, and the OC can’t call a good game plan or set or plays to save his life.

Things I liked:  defense never quit and played hard all night.  Just means they have the type of guys you up there that aren’t mailing it in when they have every reason to do so. With that said the sooner Facyson is off this roster the better.

Dayo and Paye continue to develop.

Thomas and Woods are going to be very good.

Chase continues to kick well.  I wouldn’t hand him the job this off season but if he wins it next year in camp I’d be happy with that.

Honestly the talent they are getting from the young guys on defense is probably what is going to save Ballard’s job.  That and the fact Irsay probably doesn’t want to be on the hook for two GMs and two head coaches contracts.  Still there is no denying as bad as the talent is on offense they have it on defense.  You know how many Super Bowls Peyton would have won with this defense?  Heck even Luck may have gotten to one with a defense like this.  It’s a darn shame this offense can’t do ANYTHING.

I liked your post until the last two sentences. I don't want to rehash  Peyton and the offense not playing well in their share of playoff games BUT the fact is they didn't. And another fact is the Defense held its own in their share of games, like they should have when you think about the talent Polian put out there, Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, a under rated Bickett. In fact our SB win in '06 I would say the D played better than the O in the playoffs. I know its not a popular narrative around here but its true. 

Peyton and our offense were great but often not so much in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you want to bring him back as an oline coach and special assistant to the head coach fine but as head coach just no.

Would Saturday accept a demotion? That seems unlikely given how much he reportedly wants the permanent head coaching position.

34 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

The biggest challange of this coming off season is building a functioning offense up from scratch. The next biggest challenge is keeping this D together. 

I think we are looking at a two year rebuild. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Would Saturday accept a demotion? That seems unlikely given how much he reportedly wants the permanent head coaching position.

That’s up to Saturday I am just saying what I would offer as the Colts.  It wouldn’t be unheard of for an interim coach.  Venturi was the interim for the Colts in 1991 and returned as the DC on the new staff.  It’s not really a demotion since he’s an interim coach.  

5 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Doyle said Colts outscored 99_6 in 4th since Jeff took over.

Yikes!!!! The offense is SO bad that the defense is getting a pass as being great. Turnovers or not the defense is allowing teams to cash in with TDs at will. The "great" Ballard is stealing money big time six years into his tenure that has ACCOMPLISHED absolutely nothing but a sub .500 record for himself and more unwarranted praise for the great defense he has built. In Ballard we trust!

7 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Yikes!!!! The offense is SO bad that the defense is getting a pass as being great. Turnovers or not the defense is allowing teams to cash in with TDs at will. The "great" Ballard is stealing money big time six years into his tenure that has ACCOMPLISHED absolutely nothing but a sub .500 record for himself and more unwarranted praise for the great defense he has built. In Ballard we trust!

Ballard is not a bad GM... he might be one of the best GM´s in the game but without a franchise QB he´s just an ordinary GM.

Im not sure it would have changed much regardless of who the coach were for this team, because none of those QB´s we have had since Luck has been close to a top 10 or even a top 15 QB each season. 

The best QB for the colts since Luck was Philip Rivers and he really tried his best and actually did a great job, but he couldn't do it alone. 

Since Rivers, we have deflated more for each season and find us where we are now.

In the 2023 draft, we might end up shooting ourself in the foot by drafting one of those 3 "top" QB´s that are on the board. 

I really hope we don´t draft a QB, though we need one, bc none of those in this years draft will take us past the jags or texans in the next 10 years. 

We need a stud at QB, but it´s not in this years draft we find our next franchise QB.

But we might draft Will Levis and listen to ballard talking about him popping of the tape, and end up with a high draft åiick next year and draft marvin harrison jr. which would be nice. 

16 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

In the 2023 draft, we might end up shooting ourself in the foot by drafting one of those 3 "top" QB´s that are on the board. 

I really hope we don´t draft a QB, though we need one, bc none of those in this years draft will take us past the jags or texans in the next 10 years. 

16 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

But we might draft Will Levis and listen to ballard talking about him popping of the tape, and end up with a high draft åiick next year and draft marvin harrison jr. which would be nice. 

Every time I read comments like this I’m convinced that a lot of our fan base has the same mentality as Irsay, and have an obsession with players from the Colts glory days. No one will say it out loud, but I know there is a large group of people hoping we draft Harrison and kick the QB can down the road until Arch Manning comes out.

I think people are hoping for a coaching staff built by former players from the Manning days, Manning as GM, and Harrison Jr. And Arch at WR and QB. 

I really hope the Colts draft a QB this year and are finally done with the stop gap strategy they’ve been going with since 2019. I also hope this obsession with any and everything related to the 2000’s Colts team stops on all fronts.

7 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Ballard is not a bad GM... he might be one of the best GM´s in the game but without a franchise QB he´s just an ordinary GM.

Im not sure it would have changed much regardless of who the coach were for this team, because none of those QB´s we have had since Luck has been close to a top 10 or even a top 15 QB each season. 

The best QB for the colts since Luck was Philip Rivers and he really tried his best and actually did a great job, but he couldn't do it alone. 

Since Rivers, we have deflated more for each season and find us where we are now.

We need a stud at QB, but it´s not in this years draft we find our next franchise QB.

You say Ballard might be one of the best gms in the game and I kindly ask BASED on what? His sub .500 record in SIX seasons? Yikes. The division titles in the lowly south? Crickets. Maybe it's the continued playoff runs? Nope Could it be that EXPLOSIVE offense that he's built? Or maybe it's the franchise qb that he's drafted or CHOSE not to? I know it's the DYNAMIC receivers we have. Wow.. no on that front too. We have the HIGHEST paid o-line in the league but were getting bottom five results. No corner stone LT, no stud de or young shutdown corner (Gilmore is on borrowed time) but we do have that solid defense that's been giving up points at a historical pace lately to hang our hat on.

I FORGOT but can you please tell me AGAIN why Ballard is one of the BEST gms in the game today because based on his SIX year tenure MEDIOCRITY or below is the GOLD standard.... :facepalm:

6 hours ago, Superman said:

He “looked” disinterested? There were indicators of disinterest other than his actual words, “I’m disinterested”?

funny I haven’t heard any reports or rumors Of his disinterest.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

What is he right about? We have to tip our cap for a player being able to.... Checks notes ... get out of the tunnel? And "never expecting to play" even though he's paid as a backup QB and has had a full week after the coach announced he will be starting?

To me this is kind of a weird statement. I get that Parris doesn't want to throw his QB under the bus, but... Yeah, this makes no sense.

He was just being professional and kind.

Clearly Foles hadn't been fixed by QB Whisperer Reich.

The guy was not fit to hold a clipboard it seems. 

LMAO at Foles pocket awareness and cowardess under fire. I thought Ryan was bad in the pocket. OH NO, Foles is the poster boy!

Can Irsay fix this? Hahaha!

Archived