Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Chargers at Colts postgame thoughts

OLD FAN MAN

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Excuse me? Did you watch and comprehend what Foles just did against the Chargers? There is a reason he has been on 7 different rosters since he came in to the league. 

Yeah. It won't be Foles. My guess would be someone like Dalton or Keenum. Maybe Jimmy G if he gets healed up in time. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah. It won't be Foles. My guess would be someone like Dalton or Keenum. Maybe Jimmy G if he gets healed up in time. 

Could be but don't be surprised if Ballard pulls a rabbit out of the hat with something no one even though about. He hasn't been as predictable as some seem to think. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not just judging that game.  Look at his record.  7 different rosters and can't even stick as a back up speaks for itself. 

He actually won his last game in Chicago in kind of same situation late in year. That says a lot that this team has three QB and the  offense has the same issues. This teams culture is destroyed. This goes way beyond just a QB. The sad thing is getting that back when it’s gone is hard to do. Look at lions. Maybe they are finally on the right track as far as creating a good culture. But to me that is worse then player personnel. The entire offensive scheme needs rebuilt. Have a bad play caller right now. Last night is not fair to Nick and I would say same thing bad it been Sam.

1 hour ago, CalebTheBrave1 said:

Maybe we should get that generational talent LT from northwestern if he's there when we pick. I don't know if the QBs the complete answer to our issues at this point, although the lack of effort on that o-line is quite embarrassing, they are capable of playing much better, they just look like they quit.

I think that could be the play.  Raimann has been pretty encouraging but looks like a RT to me.  Put RImann out at RT, slide Smith to RG and the NW kid out at Lt, and this godawful oline could become good quickly and possibly dominant soon thereafter.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

One bad season doesn’t drive away fan bases

Im watching less already.  You can call it fair weather or spoiled, no one cares man

I used to plan on watching every game and skip other things on game day.  This year i do other things first and only sit and watch if Im at home bored.

What is there to even watch for at this point lol?  we are not developing a young QB like we should be.  Not making the playoffs and in the long run it would be better if we lose too

Im not planning my day around that

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Pittman is a possession WR, dependent on volume. He averages <10 yds/catch, which is pretty wild, given his size.

But I will give him a bit of a pass for having Ryan as QB and being deployed a certain way in this offense.

Across the WR room, there are good traits. The issue is that they are divided up amongst the whole group, which just results in a bunch of one-tool WRs and no true consistent playmakers. 

But Pittman is still the closest thing they have. I can't imagine they would trade him, unless a new GM takes over and actually wants to rebuild.

Im not saying he isn’t a decent player and of value on a rookie contract, but to sign him to a big deal seems somewhat meh with this team.  If you could get a 2nd or package him with someone to move up this or next year for a higher type 1st could be the move.

I don’t think he’s a guy to build around on this team but could be a really good piece for a good team.

we need a route runner.  We don’t have any.  None.  Not one.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

JT being on a rookie contract makes him the most attractive option to trade. But if CMC got just a 2nd, 3rd and 4th as a complete back, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd and a 4th, in which case we are better off keeping him. 

Pittman is like a Tee Higgins to a JaMarr Chase led WR group, big bodied possession wideout. Without that Chase to take the top off and Ds' focus, it would be hard pressed to get anything but a 3rd round pick for Pittman given the plethora of pass catchers that keep coming out of college like him. Again, if that is the case, best to keep him.

I understand not all GMs are perfect. But if you look at the dedication of resources of Polian to LT, QB, WR and pass rushers, and then you look at Ballard, you can see why the team is not winning. Polian paid safeties and let go of LBs like they were disposable. After Roquan Smith being let go, can't say Polian wasn't ahead of his time, he could have set the tone for this era of offensive production we are seeing with the Manning era. Plus, if you have all the same kind of WRs, without that element of speed like a TY, the offense gets stale. If you swung and missed on a whole bunch of high RAS players who weren't productive in college and then expect them to do so differently in the NFL, that has to change too. Plus, when the opposing teams have turned up their gears a notch in the fourth quarter, our team on both sides, O and D has been left wanting, this has been with different DCs in the Ballard era too. It is a combination of the scheme on D, offensive talent that don't have that alpha WR, and D coaching that were also hand picked by the GM.

Way too many bad tendencies for team building I can't sit back and ignore and shake Pom Poms for Ballard. If most of those tendencies are going to remain, I don't see us back at the top of the division any time soon. It is possible Ballard doesn't even want to entertain Irsay pushing Saturday on him and dealing with conversations around them and makes a gracious exit voluntarily. It might be best for all parties to start fresh. If Irsay wasn't complicating things, Ballard might see this as a genuine opportunity for turning it around, IMO, to prove it wasn't him and it was the coaches though we know the truth is in the middle.

What do you think would be a good number to pay him?  I bet he’d ask for high teens and I just don’t think he’s worth that to this team who has other guys that’s make his type of catches.  He just seems like a complimentary piece and we need a centerpiece iMo.

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

What do you think would be a good number to pay him?  I bet he’d ask for high teens and I just don’t think he’s worth that to this team who has other guys that’s make his type of catches.  He just seems like a complimentary piece and we need a centerpiece iMo.

Mid-teens, 4 years $60 mil. would be fair because when paired with a good QB, he can be very productive and mid-teens would be the least we should start with. But if we don't intend to pay both JT and Pittman, I would pay Pittman first and ship JT off for two 3rd rounders across drafts to a team like the Commanders or Falcons or Panthers or Jets, which would still be a decent return if we can land that for a not-so-complete RB, and a good chance those are high 3rd rounders.

Alpha WRs would need $25 mil. per year in this current market - Chase, Lamb, Adams, Hill etc. and pretty soon Dolphins have to pay $20 mil. for Waddle too.

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Would Saturday accept a demotion? That seems unlikely given how much he reportedly wants the permanent head coaching position.

I think he would. I have no idea how much he made at ESPN or would as a assistant. But if the money is right amount for him I think he would jump at it.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mid-teens, 4 years $60 mil. would be fair because when paired with a good QB, he can be very productive and mid-teens would be the least we should start with. But if we don't intend to pay both JT and Pittman, I would pay Pittman first and ship JT off for two 3rd rounders across drafts to a team like the Commanders or Falcons or Panthers or Jets, which would still be a decent return if we can land that for a not-so-complete RB, and a good chance those are high 3rd rounders.

Alpha WRs would need $25 mil. per year in this current market - Chase, Lamb, Adams, Hill etc. and pretty soon Dolphins have to pay $20 mil. for Waddle too

I’m down with that number I just think he will ask for more like 20.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I’m down with that number I just think he will ask for more like 20.

If we don't have to pay both JT and Pittman, we can give him Kirk money, 4 years $72 mil., if the cap goes up, I guess. But we start with $15 mil. and go from there, IMO. Having a rookie QB and not having to pay JT will really help, IMO.

Similarly, Bengals have 2022 and 2023 possibly before they have to pony up serious money to Burrow and that talent. That is how big the window becomes if you hit on a rookie QB.

18 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Im not saying he isn’t a decent player and of value on a rookie contract, but to sign him to a big deal seems somewhat meh with this team.  If you could get a 2nd or package him with someone to move up this or next year for a higher type 1st could be the move.

I don’t think he’s a guy to build around on this team but could be a really good piece for a good team.

we need a route runner.  We don’t have any.  None.  Not one.

I agree. He could be a really good 2nd or 3rd receiver for a contender. He’s just not THE GUY. 

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Alpha WRs would need $25 mil. per year in this current market - Chase, Lamb, Adams, Hill etc. and pretty soon Dolphins have to pay $20 mil. for Waddle too.

The Falcons dont need a RB. They now have a rookie that is already in top tier of the NFL

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't read any of the posts in this thread. I will just say this, our O.line stinks, giving up 7 sacks is an embarrassment. Foles now knows what Ryan has had to deal with all season. 

Wasn't the initial pro-Saturday narrative that he was spending most of his team with the offense and especially the o-line and we would see the impact of his leadership on those units? The buzz about that seems to have dissipated for some reason. 

7 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Wasn't the initial pro-Saturday narrative that he was spending most of his team with the offense and especially the o-line and we would see the impact of his leadership on those units? The buzz about that seems to have dissipated for some reason. 

E Entertainment GIF by E!

25 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

The Falcons dont need a RB. They now have a rookie that is already in top tier of the NFL

I would realistically say only the Jets and Bears could use some play making from the RB position to take pressure off their QB but not sure how many would pony up a couple of Day 2 picks for JT. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't read any of the posts in this thread. I will just say this, our O.line stinks, giving up 7 sacks is an embarrassment. Foles now knows what Ryan has had to deal with all season. 

Funny how Nick 7 and Sam 9 have been sacked more in a single game than Ryan was. Weird 

Is that 31st NFL power ranking!!! Only the Broncos saved us the embarrassment of being ranked DEAD LAST and they just fired their coach! So this is what it looks like when one of the "best" gms puts your team together SIX years in? It's just hard for me to imagine that there's NO experienced gm who could come in and give you BETTER results.

The man is sub .500 and blamed the media for him drafting a receiver. Wow! I guess Irsay wants him to hit rock bottom years in ONLY to pull himself out by 2025. :facepalm: 

3 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Is that 31st NFL power ranking!!! Only the Broncos saved us the embarrassment of being ranked DEAD LAST and they just fired their coach! So this is what it looks like when one of the "best" gms puts your team together SIX years in? It's just hard for me to imagine that there's NO experienced gm who could come in and give you BETTER results.

The man is sub .500 and blamed the media for him drafting a receiver. Wow! I guess Irsay wants him to hit rock bottom years in ONLY to pull himself out by 2025. :facepalm: 

I know Ballard was ranked fairly high by a media source some years ago, but that ranking is hardly current.

Much more recently (as in THIS SEASON) local media have doubted Ballard’s approach and said he’s a big part of this disaster. 

I very much doubt Ballard would even be top half if GMs were ranked after this season. 

54 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Waddle is going to want Tyreek money. And he probably should get it. Not sure if they can keep both.

Stephon Gilmore said he doesn't know how it got to this and it's embarrassing. I think Gilmore will be looking for a way out after the season. I hope not because he's our best corner even at an advanced age. Colin Cowherd said earlier that the Colts are awful and that came on the heels of others from last night to this morning echoing the same sentiment. 

That vaulted Ballard defense has given up NINETY points in the 4th quarter ALONE since Saturday has taken over. Yikes!!!!!

27 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

i have never and i dont know what it is, but I have never seen a GM (team builder) get such a pass from fans and media for having a below 500 record. I mean just take a look at this team. Where are the star players? Please tell me, as I am looking and I dont see any elite players. Am i missing something. Oh, I will give you one; Buckner and Ballard never drafted him.

6 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Stephon Gilmore said he doesn't know how it got to this and it's embarrassing. I think Gilmore will be looking for a way out after the season. I hope not because he's our best corner even at an advanced age. Colin Cowherd said earlier that the Colts are awful and that came on the heels of others from last night to this morning echoing the same sentiment. 

That vaulted Ballard defense has given up NINETY points in the 4th quarter ALONE since Saturday has taken over. Yikes!!!!!

To be fair, the whole Saturday thing isn’t on Ballard. Suddenly folding in the 4th Q is on coaching at this point.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i have never and i dont know what it is, but I have never seen a GM (team builder) get such a pass from fans and media for having a below 500 record. I mean just take a look at this team. Where are the star players? Please tell me, as I am looking and I dont see any elite players. Am i missing something. Oh, I will give you one; Buckner and Ballard never drafted him.

You're right. Not only a pass but be prematurely labeled as "great" and that narrative has carried on even though the RESULTS don't match.

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just was reading the "comments" section on some NFL blog sites after last nights game.

Everyone is calling the Colts a clown show for going with Foles in that game...

and now Saturday is announcing its Foles for the rest of the year. What a joke.

26 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Waddle is going to want Tyreek money. And he probably should get it. Not sure if they can keep both.

Not if they have to pay Tua. Tyreek is probably shipped out in a year or two. Chiefs believed in Mahomes and Reid more than Hill, that is why they could afford to trade Tyreek Hill. They still had Kelce and Hardman, and signed JuJu and MVS. They are still in the top 2 categories for most offensive metrics. They chose to add to their underneath options and JuJu has worked out great. Adding Kadarius Toney could end up being downright unfair if he ends up working out his health. The speed aspect is lost with Hardman banged up because MVS is a long strider and routes take too long for him to hit his top speed and he is not a great route runner. Neither is Hardman but he hits the jets much faster, so him being back for the playoffs will be critical. Toney will soon be the YAC guy while JuJu the possession guy as time goes on. 

Most likely, MVS is gone, JuJu will be back and they will bring along Skyy Moore more into the offense.

Just now, bluephantom87 said:

You're right. Not only a pass but be prematurely labeled as "great" and that narrative has carried on even though the RESULTS don't match.

It is actually quite funny if it were not so sad.  Ballard came in here and won the media. He was an awe shucks kind of guy. I mean every GM has their failures, I get it. However if you are to honestly look at every draft pick, free agent acquisition, coaching decision and contract extension. He has failed. Before you come at fans. I suggest fans go back to every decision he has made and it is not good. Even go back to the start of McDaniels. We all scoff and say scum bag Daniels. There was a reason he walked away. I totally believe that Bill sat him down and warned him. I think Daniels relied on Bill a lot during the hiring process. We all come about Daniels but most of us refuse to even question how Ballard may have come across during that process. Maybe Ballard changed things up? We don't know. We want to look at Daniels history at Denver and it was not kind. However now we have Ballard's history as a GM and it is not good.  Remember, this GM called out Wentz publicly and used him as a scape goat last year. Wentz was quiet and said nothing. I  lost total respect for Ballard when he did that. To me, Bill saw this coming 6 years ago and warned Daniels.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

To be fair, the whole Saturday thing isn’t on Ballard. Suddenly folding in the 4th Q is on coaching at this point.

Really? Saturday (who is not the answer) was brought in because Frank wasn't the answer at hc, who was brought in because Chuck wasn't the aswer at hc. At what point will the REASON fall on the JAG type of players that Ballard has assembled? This team is missing playmakers at the most important positions that ALLOW you to contend for division titles and put you on a path for SB contention. Not sub .500 records or the dubious recognition of being ranked nearly DEAD LAST in the league after six years on the job.

5 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

The problem with that is, any established HC candidate would want to bring in his own people who he is comfortable working with, and if Ballard or Irsay offered someone like Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton the gig but told them that they had to keep his friend Jeff Saturday on their staff, I think the response would be a not so polite "Thanks, but no thanks!"

That could be.  Keeping someone off the old staff isn’t unheard of either though.  When Dungy came in he kept the whole offensive staff.  

7 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

You say Ballard might be one of the best gms in the game and I kindly ask BASED on what? His sub .500 record in SIX seasons? Yikes. The division titles in the lowly south? Crickets. Maybe it's the continued playoff runs? Nope Could it be that EXPLOSIVE offense that he's built? Or maybe it's the franchise qb that he's drafted or CHOSE not to? I know it's the DYNAMIC receivers we have. Wow.. no on that front too. We have the HIGHEST paid o-line in the league but were getting bottom five results. No corner stone LT, no stud de or young shutdown corner (Gilmore is on borrowed time) but we do have that solid defense that's been giving up points at a historical pace lately to hang our hat on.

I FORGOT but can you please tell me AGAIN why Ballard is one of the BEST gms in the game today because based on his SIX year tenure MEDIOCRITY or below is the GOLD standard.... :facepalm:

Well first of all...

What happened to andrew Luck and his retirement set us back multiple years, and that's not on Ballard.

Ballard have drafted well and got players like Big Q, Shaq Leonard, Taylor and Braden smith, which are very good if not great players. Of course he also have  had some misses with hooker, ya-sin and others, that haven't panned out.

But overall he´s been good at drafting players and to get value for money like the trade for Buckner.

Where he has failed big time, is at the QB position, but in his defence, in the last 3-4 years there just haven´t been any free agent QB´s that could have fixed it and we haven´t had a high enough draft pick to get a young franchise QB.

Rivers played his * of and did well.

wentz had one of the best O-lines in the league but failed big time when it mattered the most and Ryan have played behind an O-line in decay due to the retirement of AC and ryan have played really poorly. 

In the years since lucks retirement, who should and could we have traded multiple draftpicks or players for of the QB´s in the league, that would be possible to trade for?

Players like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and Hurts were and have been untouchable... and removing them from the market, its def not buyers market, which leaves ballard with mediocre QB´s to trade for.

Remember that the colts have been spoiled for nearly two decades due to Manning and Luck, and now we find ourselves in the same hole like the rest of the league have been in for years.

Ballard might not have succeeded to the expectations of the colts nation, but the colts are in a small market, which makes it more problematic and expensive to attract megastar players.

Take the rams or cowboys, they can easier attract high profile players due to the market they are located in and exposure than the colts.

Do I like every single thing about how ballard have run the colts... def not, but compared to grigson who had Luck and destroyed him, Ballard have put the colts in a position to win... but again, he haven't found  and fixed the QB position, which is no easy task.

To be honest, we have been to good or mediocre to get a high draft pick that can give us the next franchise QB, and even if you get a high draft pick, it´s not like that fix the QB problem.

take a look at all the 1st round QB in this list and see how many duds there have been https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

Lawrance 1st pick

burrow 1st pick

OKay,  Purdy 7th round pick 262

When Mahomes got drafted wee still had Luck

and okay, we could have drafted jalen hurts but instead we drafted taylor and pittman. 

Has Ballard done a good job.... in my opinion, YES.

Has he succeeded as a GM... well... of course not, as we haven't made the playoffs enough and won zero super bowls during his time as a GM.

But give him a high draft pick this year, and let´s see if things don´t change with a new HC and maybe a mobile young QB.

I still believe that he can turn things around, but its his last chance. 

Archived