Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Vikes Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

29 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

it really wasnt fair to jeff to be thrown to the wolves .   at the end of the day he is not really coaching because he cant .  he is a game manager at this point .  he didnt pick his oc or dc   its not his playbook he cant really change anything in the middle of the year .

Yep it was dumb of Irsay to do this mid season. Should of given him a clean slate in the off season. Evweythigf Irsay has done has made things worse/

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Jeff still really wants to coach, he should take the OL job, try to work his way up to some sort of assistant head coach position and go from there.  Obviously no one is giving him a head coaching job in 2023 after this.

If Irsay carves out a front office position for him, he should take it.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

If Jeff still really wants to coach, he should take the OL job, try to work his way up to some sort of assistant head coach position and go from there.  Obviously no one is giving him a head coaching job in 2023 after this.

If Irsay carves out a front office position for him, he should take it.

Irsay: Our new GM Jeff Saturday 

drunk best friends GIF

That was the best result that could have happened. Actually, I'm seeing a formula here. 

Dominate or be competitive for 3 quarters

Crap the bucket in the last. 

45 minutes of decent to good play

15 minutes of garbage to not threaten a draft pick. 

Winning today would have been disastrous for our chances of a top 5 or top 3 pick. It would have felt good, sure- but we would have been sad in April/May. 

Delayed Gratification. 

There shouldn’t be any more people saying Saturday was the right guy for the job. This team at times looks worse with him then it did with Reich. The Colts are absolutely garbage. Bottom quartile of the bottom quartile.

Where at the point where it’s fair to put all the blame on Irsay. Ballard is responsible but he falls under Irsay’s jurisdiction so even that falls back on him. The constant owner meddling, knee jerk reactions, and denial because he’s so stuck in the past, have taken their toll on this organization.

3 hours ago, Dark_Indy said:

That was the best result that could have happened. Actually, I'm seeing a formula here. 

Dominate or be competitive for 3 quarters

Crap the bucket in the last. 

45 minutes of decent to good play

15 minutes of garbage to not threaten a draft pick. 

Winning today would have been disastrous for our chances of a top 5 or top 3 pick. It would have felt good, sure- but we would have been sad in April/May. 

Delayed Gratification. 

Very true!

However, there are still 3 games left and I  think unfortunately we win at least 2 of them. 

The last game vs Texans is highly probable, and I'm thinking we upset Chargers or Giants, more likely it will be Giants. 

The thing is Saturday badly wants to be hired as full time hc and is trying his best for the job..Irsays wants Saturday to win so he's justified about hiring him for the interim and probably wants him to be the hc since it's doubtful he can get a highly desirable proven coach anyway.. 

So tanking for draft position takes a backseat to their goals. Lol

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

There shouldn’t be any more people saying Saturday was the right guy for the job. This team at times looks worse with him then it did with Reich. The Colts are absolutely garbage. Bottom quartile of the bottom quartile.

Where at the point where it’s fair to put all the blame on Irsay. Ballard is responsible but he falls under Irsay’s jurisdiction so even that falls back on him. The constant owner meddling, knee jerk reactions, and denial because he’s so stuck in the past, have taken their toll on this organization.

This is true but what’s also true is at times, this team looks BETTER than we did with Reich. 

13 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I kind feel like this game reiterates the need for the Colts organisation to go through a total rebuild. Ever since the Jags game last year, you can see it in the players that the players confidence and bottle is gone.

Need to just turn the page this offseason. Get a new GM, HC, QB and trade what ever assets we have.

Truth.. We have to do it before we become Detroit 2.0 (an organization that was inept for 30 years)

All in all, it's a good thing we lost. Long term gain>Short term gain. This is going to feel so much better in May during the draft if we have a top 5 pick rather than being outside the top 10 because of a meaningless win or two that felt good at the time because fans wanted short-term gratification. 

Those same fans would have been the same ones complaining about the cost to trade up for a QB (if we take one) when they were also the ones cheering for meaningless wins because they don't want to tank. There's a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to this topic, and it's normally for bottom-feeder teams. Now, we're currently one of them. 

Just hoping we have a shot at a franchise QB when the year is over. A top 5 pick is preferable, but I'd be happy with top 6-8 if we could trade up with the Bears. That Texans game is going to destroy our draft position IMO unfortunately.

11 hours ago, coming on strong said:

any time the colts played the falcons i was never scared about playing matt ryan at all .   he doesnt bring fear he is just bland with elite wrs .   now rivers he was different but with ryan  i dont get the praise he gets he has never been a top 5 QB in this league  he was never in the same league as brady manning or brees .  i would put rivers and big ben ahead of him to

The only thing I would disagree with here is " he has never been a top 5 QB in this league" which is categorically false.  The year he went to the Superbowl he won the league MVP and was THE best QB in the league.  Unfortunately, I think the subsequent loss in the Superbowl might have stayed with him a bit for the rest of the career and he was never really the same.  He totally peaked that year. 

The Colts offense and specifically Matt Ryan lost this game for the Colts.. All they had to do is move the chains and put up one more TD on the board.. They could do neither.. Ryan is so, so bad he should announce his retirement this moment and Jeff Saturday ought to know he has nothing left and bench him... Nothing left.. I don't think he can throw a ball 40 yards anymore and everything he throws is zero velocity.. It's pathetic.. The most embarrassing loss in my 60 years of watching NFL football..

12 hours ago, coming on strong said:

any time the colts played the falcons i was never scared about playing matt ryan at all .   he doesnt bring fear he is just bland with elite wrs .   now rivers he was different but with ryan  i dont get the praise he gets he has never been a top 5 QB in this league  he was never in the same league as brady manning or brees .  i would put rivers and big ben ahead of him to

He won MVP in 2016 and was at worse the 2nd best QB in the league. Brady was the only QB better that year. Matt also beat Rodgers to win the NFC. Your guy Wentz has never won anything though. Foles won that SB. So keep bashing Matt.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All in all, it's a good thing we lost. Long term gain>Short term gain. This is going to feel so much better in May during the draft if we have a top 5 pick rather than being outside the top 10 because of a meaningless win or two that felt good at the time because fans wanted short-term gratification. 

Those same fans would have been the same ones complaining about the cost to trade up for a QB (if we take one) when they were also the ones cheering for meaningless wins because they don't want to tank. There's a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to this topic, and it's normally for bottom-feeder teams. Now, we're currently one of them. 

Just hoping we have a shot at a franchise QB when the year is over. A top 5 pick is preferable, but I'd be happy with top 6-8 if we could trade up with the Bears. That Texans game is going to destroy our draft position IMO unfortunately.

The problem is still… just as it was last year, no clear cut Franchise QBs in this draft. Not ones that will turn this instantly around. Which is what 98 percent of this forum is expecting. I’m good with developing one with potential, and willing to suffer another year or two. 

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

All I can do is laugh. Though what do you expect when out of those 36 points, only 1 TD came from our crappy O. 

honeslty, I wanna keep this Defense in tact and see what it can do with a half way competent QB and O. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He won MVP in 2016 and was at worse the 2nd best QB in the league. Brady was the only QB better that year. Matt also beat Rodgers to win the NFC. Your guy Wentz has never won anything though. Foles won that SB. So keep bashing Matt.

wentz is not my guy though i said he was up and down and not a long term answer .   i just wanted him back this year because there were no better options .  i would still want to draft a QB this year any way because wentz wasnt good enough .    both wentz and matt had one good mvp year  its just wentz got hurt or else he was the mvp .    in the playoffs the eagles defense held the falcons to 10 points shutting down matt ryan so i have no doubt wentz with that loaded team would of scored more than ten points .      same with the nfc championship game holding the vikings to 7 points .   

13 hours ago, Shive said:

I think like usual, our offense was so bad it just couldn't sustain drives and consistently went 3 and out. That left the defense out on the field for almost the entire 2nd half. No defense, elite or not, can maintain a high level of play. If our offense was even average today, I think our defense holds up so much better.

It was just not good, especially in the 2nd half. Ryan really just doesn't have it anymore and the play calling was predictable and just not good...

Fine.  But every defense in the history of the NFL held a 33 point lead before yesterday.

13 hours ago, #12. said:

What's amazing is the Vikings were huddling up and running the ball in the 3rd, down 33-0, and still won.  

On the final OT drive, they were huddling up and looked content with the tie, and still won.

On their OT drive, the Colts also looked content with a tie, which I thought was disgusting.

Yeah that felt strange.  It didn’t seem like a train wreck.  

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Fine.  But every defense in the history of the NFL held a 33 point lead before yesterday.

A good offense is often the best defense. Holding the ball on offense for a while (5+ game mins) allows the opposing offense fewer scoring opportunities. 

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The problem is still… just as it was last year, no clear cut Franchise QBs in this draft. Not ones that will turn this instantly around. Which is what 98 percent of this forum is expecting. I’m good with developing one with potential, and willing to suffer another year or two. 

I agree. No one is out of this class is going to come in and "Luck Out" with this team as it is now. There are a lot of question marks with the franchise roster aside. From the FO to the coaching staff etc. 

I think you have to take a shot though. In no way can we keep doing this. The upside of a young guy is way more promising than any old as dirt legend or journeyman QB that will be available in Free Agency.

If you do find "the guy" at QB but we still find ourselves with a top 10 pick in 2024 I'd nearly sell the draft for Marvin Harrison Jr.

31 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

wentz is not my guy though i said he was up and down and not a long term answer .   i just wanted him back this year because there were no better options .  i would still want to draft a QB this year any way because wentz wasnt good enough .    both wentz and matt had one good mvp year  its just wentz got hurt or else he was the mvp .    in the playoffs the eagles defense held the falcons to 10 points shutting down matt ryan so i have no doubt wentz with that loaded team would of scored more than ten points .      same with the nfc championship game holding the vikings to 7 points .   

After a while it just gets tiring that after a loss a handful of people put all the blame on Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan doesn't play defense, he didn't even turn the ball over to help Minnesota out. Our Defense gave up a 33 point lead. Matt Ryan could've played better and he has been bad at times this year but that loss isn't on him yesterday. With some in here, we could score 45 points and lose 46-45 and people would blame Matt Ryan.chuckling homer simpson GIF

Not 1 person in here ever blames Taylor for anything, I love Taylor but in 2 of our losses his fumbling at crucial times cost us 2 games. On top of that he gets injured every other game. Also that craptastic defense we played in the 4th Qtr was real fabulous.

Look glimmers I saw are....For a while Parks Fraiser got creative on play calling (First Half)....I need to start drinking again though so I can play the drinking game "run up the gut for 2 on first down" ...Ill need Uber to get home......but what a good time. This is not Saturdays playbook/coaches/coordinators true.....but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. We had the Vikes back pedalling in the first half with some wrinkles in our standard offense, once we got the lead we thought "ahhh the old 16 point max  a game offense will do from here"......I dont need Jeff Saturday evaluating talent, that is supposed to be the GM's job......I dont need him calling the "X's and O's" that is the coordinators jobs......I need him directing the strategy of all of those things, being the conductor of the symphony....Right Now the only note I hear is "L" flat!

10 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I’m going to watch the first half of this game then the second half of the 2013 chiefs playoff game (or 2006 afccg) and pretend it is the best game of all time.   

Or the final six minutes or so of that game against Tampa Bay where the Colts were down 3 TDs and came back and won the game. It was one of the best games I saw.

https://www.colts.com/video/this-day-in-nfl-history-colts-comeback-shocks-buccaneers-16020246

Archived